The Podcast Thread

You Are Not So Smart is not only the best podcast I know by a long margin, it is also pretty much the only one I know!
https://youarenotsosmart.com/podcast/
The podcast is hosted by the writer/journalist David McRaney, author of "You are not so smart" and "You are now less dumb", and they talk mostly about behavioural psychology and cognitive sciences. They are doing a series on cognitive biases that is super nice. Extremely recommended if you are also a game designer of sorts (and, I mean, we are designers at the very least during cube construction). I think I've been through all episodes last two months, now I'm relistening to them. Just don't start on the one about Bayesian logic or your head will asplode.

I wanted to say I've also given this one a try and it is excellent, thank you for the recommendation.

You weren't wrong about Bayes' Theorem.

So, other than Drive to Work and Limited Resources/Constructed Resources...are there other good magic podcasts? Anything close to a riptide podcast out there?

I like Magic: the Amateuring. It's not a nuts and bolts show like LR and is definitely geared more towards newer players, but it's also very funny and the hosts work really well together.

I've also listened to Top Level Podcast, with Patrick Chapin and Michael Flores, which is fine but I don't listen every week or even most weeks, and The Third Power which is a cube podcast with Usman Jamil and Anthony Avitollo. They don't update all that often and their cubes are definitely leaning more towards powermax, but it can be helpful to have another perspective on things

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I love the idea of anything with Patrick Chapin, but loathe the idea of anything with Mike Flores... I suppose they cancel each other out into nothing, like matter and antimatter

I find him a lot less annoying when he's speaking vs his writing, but yeah as I say I'm not all that into their cast. They tend to go deep on particular cards/decks in standard, which might be helpful if you play standard for some reason.

I listen to Sawbones and My Brother, My Brother, and Me by the McElroy family, which is kind of weird since I actually went to high school with those guys (and had a massive crush on Sydnee), and now they're minorly internet famous and hang out with the creator of Hamilton and work for polygon.com. It's surreal, but their shows are really fucking good. Sawbones is a show about medical history and all the weird ass things we've done to try to heal people that for the most part probably killed more people than they helped (it's funnier than it sounds), and MBMBaM is a comedy show about the McElroy brothers giving basically the worst advice you can possibly imagine.

I also listen to Limited and Constructed Resources, as well as the aforementioned Third Power, which is sometimes irritating because they have way different cube philosophies than we do here (they go for powermaxing pretty hard) and half the time they're just talking about cats instead of Magic, but they sometimes have good insight into stuff.

I listen to Welcome to Nightvale in fits and starts, but I recently got into Alice Isn't Dead by the same people, which I like way, way better. Welcome to Nightvale, if you haven't heard of it, is a serial fiction comedy/horror podcast that can best be described as NPR from the Twilight Zone. Meanwhile, Alice Isn't Dead is a strict horror podcast about a female trucker searching for her lost wife and stumbling into America's weird occult underbelly. It's genuinely creepy and way less twee/fanservicey than Nightvale.

I've recently started listening to No Such Thing as a Fish, which is put out by the researchers for the QI show, and I've slammed through about six months' worth in a couple of weeks. There's four of them, and they each bring their favourite fact for the week and spend about ten minutes on each one talking about other interesting facts related to the main one.