The Video Game Thread

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Anyone here playing Clash Royale? I know, I know, it's both F2P and made by Supercell, the same folks who made Clash of Clans, so you have every reason to be wary and maintain your distance. After about a month and a half of playing, though, I'm coming around to the fact that there's a truly excellent, deceptively simple competitive game underneath all of the gross F2P trappings. It helps that deckbuilding and strategy seem to be the most important aspects to success, though having good micro helps a lot, too.

At the higher levels of play, it seems to become more about paying-to-win, but where I currently sit, having spent around $15 total over six weeks, it's a really enjoyable experience with a competitiveness level akin to FNM. For me, it's hitting that sweet spot for "quick mobile strategy game with deckbuilding" that Hearthstone never fulfilled, for whatever reasons.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Who watched EVO? I'm a filthy casual who only cares about Melee, which didn't disappoint.

I did! I gotta say, for all the shit Hungrybox gets sometimes, I think his play is super hype. If people liked his personality more (e.g. if he were Mango), everybody would be losing their minds over those rests.

Also only watched Melee.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
EuroVisiOn. They tacked on a melee tournament this year.

I'm well familiar with Eurovision, being from the Netherlands, thank you :p

Anyway, had to google EVO to figure out what's going on, and of course melee means Super Smash Bros. Melee, should have known with you guys!

So, this article says there have been five dominating players over the last few years: Mango, Mew2King, Armada, PPMD, and Hungrybox. When I look at the rankings I see four of them plus Leffen at the top. Where's PPMD and why is Leffen not considered one of the top 5 players?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I'm well familiar with Eurovision, being from the Netherlands, thank you :p

Anyway, had to google EVO to figure out what's going on, and of course melee means Super Smash Bros. Melee, should have known with you guys!

So, this article says there have been five dominating players over the last few years: Mango, Mew2King, Armada, PPMD, and Hungrybox. When I look at the rankings I see four of them plus Leffen at the top. Where's PPMD and why is Leffen not considered one of the top 5 players?

This is a more accurate ranking than smashboards: http://www.meleeitonme.com/ssbmrank-2015-full-list/
It was compiled at the start of the year by top community figures.

So the five you mentioned are the "five gods" of Melee. For the longest time they almost never lost to anyone except each other. Last year Leffen emerged as the "godslayer" if you will, and took multiple back to back tournaments with all the best in attendance.

For the last many many months Leffen's been banned from competing in the US (where most the major tournaments happened) due to VISA issues (he's from Sweden).

PPMD is away from the scene for long stretches of time because of health issues.

The term "five gods" refers to those specific five players, but sometimes people say "six gods". It's kind of an open debate. There's a player Ken called the "King of Smash", even though he's nowhere near the top of the pack anymore.

If you're interested in the history there's a documentary on youtube (first episode here:
) which follows the history of Smash Bros Melee as a competitive game by looking at the players considered the best at various eras. It's pretty long, I think there's 7 episodes at about 40 minutes each, but I really liked it as someone who didn't really start paying attention to competitive smash until a couple of years ago. It's especially fascinating comparing the competitive scene in Melee, which is completely grassroots with no support from Nintendo at all, to Magic which has been completely corporate for pretty much its entire lifetime as a competitive game.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Who said that white men can't dance?
g3EQsbG.png

Has to probably be the hardest earned completion I have ever done.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I'm just wishing they implement actual game features to Pokemon Go. I still like that it encourages you to go out and get into the world. I've taken many walks / bike rides that I wouldn't have otherwise, and tomorrow I will probably bike with a friend to this obscure Belgian village (residency: 32) that is supposedly a hotspot. Not many games encourage this type of behavior.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Just started playing Pokemon Uranium. I'm not a nostalgic pokemon fan, but I'm having fun. Kirblinx, for some reason I named my Birbie after you. I guess cuz it sounds like Kirby.

I've finally managed to download it as well! It's been a while since I got really into pokemon, but I've had my eye on this for a while now.
Anyone else who's on the fence, get the .exe before Nintendo shuts them down, they're known to be rather draconian with their licenses, where other companies might let it slide :p

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I've finally managed to download it as well! It's been a while since I got really into pokemon, but I've had my eye on this for a while now.
Anyone else who's on the fence, get the .exe before Nintendo shuts them down, they're known to be rather draconian with their licenses, where other companies might let it slide :p

There is a torrent for it already, so it'll be hard to shut down. Anyway, if it does go down, and anybody wants it, just ask. I'll share.

I don't really watch Let's Plays that often, but I heard that the new Resident Evil was really amazing and wanted to check it out. I'm too much of a bitch to ever play it irl so I decided to watch a walkthrough on Youtube. Holy shit, this game is insane. There is no way I could ever have played this. And some people even use a VR headset on the PS4 with it? Dear god I would straight up die of a heart attack.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I've been playing a lot of Killer Instinct lately. I'm still ass at fighting games, but the improvement process is fun. I've tried out traditional fighting games in the past, and never really gotten into them, but this one has its hooks in me.

It's got this nice mix of accessibility, where a noob can button mash their way to insane looking combos. Yet, it's got all the depth you could ask for, where you still get completely wiped by people who know what they're doing.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I just bought a copy of Majora's mask for N64. Good stuff.

On a related note, I programmed an arduino so that I can use my N64 controller as a midi controller. Not very useful yet, but it works! Don't let the secret out. I'll probably post the project somewhere online at some point.