General Why the hell are you cubing anyways?

The title is mostly to call attention, but it's an important question that I feel doesn't get talked about enough. Over the years with this hobby, I've seen a plethora of theory-crafting, vocabulary-forming, trends coming and going, but rarely has this question truly taken the center stage.

My reason for bringing this is mostly because I've been having this in the back burner since reading @landofMordor 's history of cube and thinking about parallels with how I've seen game design grow and develop in the last decade or so, and I think the trajectory is already laid out in front of us, and it comes down to this that one of my teachers in game design kept bringing up:

The context in which we play a game is just as important as the game itself.

This is so important that games are usually designed and produced aiming at a very particular context. Cubes not so much. Sometimes a cube is just designed around the context of playing cube. Here's a few questions that might be helpful to think about the context of your Cube:
- When do you get to play it?
- How often do you play it?
- Do other players in my group also have a Cube?
- Do you often have new players coming in?
- How many players can you actually get to play with?
- Do you play at home or do you have to transport it?
- What is the experience that you are trying to emulate?

These are all essential questions to be answering to think of how to deal with a Cube, and should change card selection choices, update policies and etc. I feel that a lot of people here already does this intuitively, and there's a great deal of attention taken towards readability and accessibility of a cube, so I don't think this will be game-changing to anyone. In the Sink or Swim thread alone we see multiple ways where these questions show up. Being honest about the context of play can also be important for us to critically think about the hobby, and our relationship to it and our players.

I'll share a few anecdotes about how the context of play informed my designs in the past, and I'm sure everyone will have a bunch more to share.

14 or so years ago, my playgroup back in my home town in Brazil was mostly composed of try-hards, former PTQ try-hards and many with lots more years of experience than I had. We usually played at the local store after a couple of rounds of FNM and after the closing hours, when some of us would hang out with the cube and some beers. That was the Grinder era, and power-maxing fit the playgroup extremely well. Accessibility was not there and I feel it would've even been detrimental to the playgroup, as everyone was an tournament junkie (if only not very successful). Language of cards didn't matter at all, as everyone would just recognize the art (remember when there were just a couple arts per card at most?) The frequency of drafts combined with the high power level made me have to adapt my update strategy, have the cube size at 720, and keep mending the list so the Esper Good stuff control wasn't always the winner. My solution at the time was to play with booster sizes and placement of cards, keeping a "test pool" always in the drafted boosters to keep an eye on cards that were coming in or out of the list.

6 to 8 years later I started cubing again, now in another country and with different people, and all of these rules I learned to manage my cube had to be unlearned to my new context. My pool of players now was always changing, with a lot less years of game experience, with no ability to understand non-english cards, and rarely having 8 players at a table. In retrospect, I learned a lot from this era by not learning anything and trying to keep managing a cube like I did in the past. The drafts weren't horrible, but I was not designing the cube to the context I was inserted.

Jump again a few years to just before the pandemic. My playgroup does retail drafts and commander, but there's always gaps in the releases that we could be drafting cube instead. My now-wife-then-girlfriend plays Magic as well, though basically just commander with precons. She soon learns that she likes playing with me, but hates playing against me. The solution that I came up with to fit cube into the mix was to have a powered 2-headed giant cube. It's probably the worst balanced of all my cubes so far, but it was just meant to bring people together for a few chaotic sessions, and it did just that. I think I update the list every semester or so, but play it less than once a year at this point.

Enough of my incoherent sleepless rambling! I don't know if this will be useful to anyone, but now it's not just in my head. If you have cool stories about how your context of play changed how you design and deal with your Cube, share it here!

PS: It's late and I'm writing from my phone. I'll spell check this tomorrow. Sorry!

My now-wife-then-girlfriend plays Magic as well

I was lucky to witness this <3 I hope your marriage goes the distance my friend <3

6 to 8 years later I started cubing again, now in another country and with different people, and all of these rules I learned to manage my cube had to be unlearned to my new context. My pool of players now was always changing, with a lot less years of game experience, with no ability to understand non-english cards

Uff ouch, I feel hurt haha :)

Dang, I feel like this post really hit me as I moved a couple of years ago and haven't really got a play group right now. The context which I play the cube is like drafting through CubeCobra and then playing some games sometimes with an old buddy from my previous group.

I have a weekly-ish group of three of us that play. But I've been working on trying to get more new people into it. I know I never built the cube for new players but I think that I should be considering that more to keep brining people into it. I'll be reading Land of Mordor's thread for sure.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Jump again a few years to just before the pandemic. My playgroup does retail drafts and commander, but there's always gaps in the releases that we could be drafting cube instead. My now-wife-then-girlfriend plays Magic as well, though basically just commander with precons. She soon learns that she likes playing with me, but hates playing against me.
This is a BIG MOOD :p

Great read, thanks vince!

Cube really is it's very own animal, in that it's by far the way to play mtg where you have to think the most about the experience others will have playing with you (or your game pieces, more accurately). Being a cube manager is almost like being the DM in a D&D game. If people have bad experiences, that is always, at least to some degree, your fault. It is your event, make sure you cater to your audience and make them feel good.

This even goes beyond card choices. I can only recommend lucky paper radios episode 130 (I think) which lead me to some personal level ups. I didn't use to provide food for my drafters, heck I didn't even had the packs ready when they came over. But these things also help making people comfortable, and you want them to be when they are expected to sit down 3+ hours to draft and play what you have created.

Last edited:
I feel like everything that I do with cube is just me trying to make Magic fun and cheap and accessible for my friends who are not nearly as obsessed with it as I am. Magic is such a good god damn game but the structure and economy of it is just so disgustingly predatory and it is so hard to engage with it in a way that doesn't just feel like straight up gambling. And the complexity of the game has gotten pretty out of hand in recent years in my opinion.

So almost everything I try to do, from emphasizing simple, clean rules text, to working on cubes aimed at beginner players and putting together things like jumpstart cubes, is all in service of trying to find ways to let my friends engage with this dope ass game without having to deal with all of the bullshit.

And when people play my cubes and have a good time it feels good! And when I play my cubes and I feel like I'm making interesting strategic decisions I feel like I accomplished something.

The other great thing about cube is that it fills the damn time. I like to sort things, I like to put stuff in boxes, I like making swaps, I like putting a cube cobra description together, it's just a fun little aesthetic pursuit that passes the time and feels satisfying when you complete tasks. It's like crochet or drawing or cooking. A fun little creative hobby to fill up your free afternoons.

Great read, thanks vince!

Cube really is it's very own animal, in that it's by far the way to play mtg where you have to think the most about the experience others will have playing with you (or your game pieces, more accurately). Being a cube manager is almost like being the DM in a D&D game. If people have bad experiences, that is always, at least to some degree, your fault. It is your event, make sure you cater to your audience and make them feel good.

This even goes beyond card choices. I can only recommend lucky paper radios episode 130 (I think) which lead me to some personal level ups. I didn't use to provide food for my drafters, heck I didn't even had the packs ready when they came over. But these things also help making people comfortable, and you want them to be when they are expected to sit down 3+ hours to draft and play what you have created.
Really neat episode! I knew of the podcast but hadn't really listened to an episode until now!

I would add that it isn't just your event, but most times, everyone's event, and while you have your own responsibilities, if you are in a group of friends, you don't need to be the sole bearer of responsibility. Right now in my group, one person usually hosts, another bring snacks and drinks, someone can start the food order. Really good parallel with D&D, because that's also a space where sharing responsibilities for the wellbeing of the group also works great for close groups.

EDIT: Guess what? Ctrl+Enter actually posts! More posts incoming :D

Last edited:
I was lucky to witness this <3 I hope your marriage goes the distance my friend <3

Uff ouch, I feel hurt haha :)
Thanks! We are trying our best. Not playing Magic against each other is definitely part of that :D

For the language thing, I think it also goes to how easy it is to get a cheaper version of a card in not-English in Europe and me wanting to save as much to wrap up the cube in foil. In Brazil, you get basically just Portuguese and English, and all my try-hard friends either understood both, or had memorized the cards from a previous season of Standard, Extended, or what-have-you :D

Everything
This is also super important and talks a lot about how much understanding ourselves and the relationship we have to our players (and would-be players) and the context that these interactions will happen can shape how we interact with the hobby. With my close high-school friends, they all knew how to play Magic, but never got into drafting and weren't interested in spending in the game, so I would just shuffle the whole cube and we'd play it as a multiplayer stack to pass the time. The context there ended up meaning that cube wasn't really the game that made the most sense to play.

Dang, I feel like this post really hit me as I moved a couple of years ago and haven't really got a play group right now. The context which I play the cube is like drafting through CubeCobra and then playing some games sometimes with an old buddy from my previous group.

I have a weekly-ish group of three of us that play. But I've been working on trying to get more new people into it. I know I never built the cube for new players but I think that I should be considering that more to keep brining people into it. I'll be reading Land of Mordor's thread for sure.
I think it also plays into the fact that making friends as an adult is something quite rare (assuming you are at least over 18, since you moved out), and especially when you move somewhere, most people in this place already have their networks of friends established.

I feel like I have been horrible at building my playgroup outside the coincidences of life and meeting new coworkers, and friends, and friends of friends, that eventually we got a stable group of 6+ people to manage to gather 5 people every couple of weeks for a draft. For the purposes of running cube often, it's not the ideal setup, but the cube works great to get an excuse to get the folks together to play something different than whatever set we had already drafted last time.

@Velrun actually had quite a vibrant group of players, with a lot of newcomers, from what I remember. Maybe he's the one that should be writing more about this :D

Up until I moved to Scotland, I cubed roughly monthly with a group 25ish people with regular attendance around half that number. I haven't cubed for a year now (except during the holiday back in the States), but I've been happy to keep up my cube because besides the practical use of it, as I've said many times here and elsewhere, my cube is my Zen Garden. Even if I didn't play it for years, I can imagine myself keeping it up for quite some time just for the process.

For me, Cube started out as a way to:
1) play limited Magic with my friends (the best game ever)
2) not expect anyone to have to invest/keep up with the game as much as I wanted to, or have to pay for entry (like w/ booster draft)
3) level the playing field as much as possible
4) not worry about our playgroup having different levels of investment in commander decks
5) test my skills as a game designer

Pretty much in that order. Those still look about right, but now it's also a great excuse to have friends over.

landofMordor

Administrator
This is a great topic.

I play Magic for a chance to hang out and make friends. Cube is the best way to play Magic because it's 1) free for 7 people, and 2) how one explores system mastery most efficiently, which is why I fell in love with Magic and not some other game. I love that owning a Cube allows me to facilitate my friends having fun, and that Cube allows players to move outside of the mini-capitalism of prize-supported drafts and gambling for money cards. Cube is the best.

@Velrun actually had quite a vibrant group of players, with a lot of newcomers, from what I remember. Maybe he's the one that should be writing more about this :D

Yeah we had anything between 8 and 16 players for each tournament running once a month with a few exceptions. And there were at least 2 new players at each tournament. It was some amazing years and everyone seemed so involved in the cube. After each session we had a small 15 minute talk with everyone where they could speak their mind about ideas. Could be anything from fine tuning some balancing to introducing crazy ideas. I am pretty confident we could round up a lot of people again if we wanted to. However around 2017 or something we switched to this 3-player cube. Now the cube can have basically any number of players but ideal is 8 so we could try to father folks again.

I've said many times here and elsewhere, my cube is my Zen Garden. Even if I didn't play it for years, I can imagine myself keeping it up for quite some time just for the process.
I love the way you put this. It feels the same for me. I know a number of other curators have expressed the same sentiment.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
This is a great thread :D

I've been lucky to have a big support network of people who love (or at least tolerate) doing the outreach and community building, letting me focus on the game design of what we're actually playing.

Back in 2016ish a friend of mine had recently come back from university in Scotland, and was reconnecting with a lot of his high school friends. We cubed basically every week at his house. All gaming people, there was a lot of Super Smash Bros going on between rounds, but this was mostly the only magic they played.
The pace of cubing every week and trying to iterate on that schedule was quite demanding. I know in my heart that I never would have been judged if there weren't patch notes week to week, but I always feel bad when there is a grievance with my format, but I was too busy to address it.

Later on, I ended up going to a local board game cafe and found a fellow cube designer (Freyja), who also had a playgroup of her own, so the people in my group who were still interested in cubing merged with her playgroup, and now we draft every other week, rotating off who's bringing the cube. We've got my fair, powerful legacyish cube, her vintage cube, a peasant cube in the works, and the occasional guest appearance from some "cards I own and love" cubes or whatever Dom has cooking up between tournament top 8s.

The group is mostly invested people, or people who cube occasionally, so half the people study game design in their spare time and are super invested in getting better at magic, but the other half of the people know how to play magic, but are just kinda vibing.

So nobody's really all that confused about the text on cards, but more about draft/deckbuilding fundamentals: how much removal is too much, how much fixing do I need and where should I be picking it in the pack, is Berserk Snapcaster Berserk enough to carry a deck, etc etc.

Cube started for me as a means to create a re-draftable environment as a (mostly) broke university student back in 2014. I fell back into Magic in 2013, got very interested and invested in the game with my friends, and while we loved the process of drafting it was quite pricey. I learned of Cube during Fall 2013 and then researched into it on my own the following Spring before deciding to begin the process of creating my own in Summer 2014. By the time Fall quarter had come around again I had a cube ready to go and draft with my friends and everyone else at the Magic club on campus.

While I was in college I was able to fire off a handful of drafts every quarter as time and midterms would allow, but it definitely tailed off once I graduated in 2016 with my playgroup no longer local. We'll still get together every once in a while an will be able to fire off a 6-man pod, but the days of 8+ people being readily available is no longer a possibility. As such Cube evolved more into a theoretical design exercise for me when it came to crafting a Limited environment.

I know the type of Magic I enjoy playing, I like the highs and lows of a back-and-forth match where decisions matter throughout the course of a game, and I wanted to bring that experience to my drafters time and time again. I don't really care for card design at all, but creating a replayable environment and identifying the pieces that fit to make a whole greater than the sum of their parts while distilling the finer points of Limited Magic is very appealing to me. It's nice to have something ready to go in case we ever get together and just want to set up for a night of skill-testing Magic.

WHY CUBE.jpg

Serious answer: This is a story I think I've shared here before, but I began cubing out of hate, not love. Even though I didn't start playing until 8th edition I always loved the history of Magic, so when Masters 25 was announced I was over the moon. At least one card from every single set coming together to create a unified whole--sounds like a really cool way to celebrate both the diversity and oneness of Magic!

And then it turned out that Masters 25 was a deeply unfun set to play, likely because Wizards was undergoing a paradigm shift re: reprint value.

This made me really mad. "How hard could it be," I thought, "to make a functional draft set under the explicit and implicit criteria you've set out?" Turns out, not that hard! I made an Excel spreadsheet, began populating it, tore it down, restarted it again a couple times, and within a couple months had what (I thought) was a superior version of Masters 25. Along the way, though, I had read a lot of content on what made a good Masters set, which dovetailed nicely with what makes a good Limited set. I realized that I liked thinking about that problem, which led me to jamming a lot of draft on Arena, which led to me drafting their cube, which led to me drafting up my first cube. That cube was garbage, but I learned some more, tore that one down and rebuilt it a couple times, and my cube is now in a fairly stable equilibrium. I don't anticipate making huge changes to it for some time, especially as it gets played maybe every couple months at most, but it's nice to stay in touch with the community. So while the meme at the head of this comment is mostly a joke, there's a fair bit of truth in it!

Last edited:
I have a soft spot for Magic and have good memories of it. However, it is quite flawed as a game. It's extremely expensive, random chance dominates and many decks just aren't that fun to play with or against. Building a cube lets me minimize all those flaws and focus on what I like the most.

Also, building the cube has been a lot of fun, even more than playing it!

Yeah we had anything between 8 and 16 players for each tournament running once a month with a few exceptions. And there were at least 2 new players at each tournament. It was some amazing years and everyone seemed so involved in the cube. After each session we had a small 15 minute talk with everyone where they could speak their mind about ideas. Could be anything from fine tuning some balancing to introducing crazy ideas. I am pretty confident we could round up a lot of people again if we wanted to. However around 2017 or something we switched to this 3-player cube. Now the cube can have basically any number of players but ideal is 8 so we could try to father folks again.

Oh hey I was one of those new players at those tournaments! ^,..,^

as for the question,
Have been tinkering with my own cubes for years and years for many of those same 'Zen Garden' reasons!
Using it both as an exercise in game design, and also creative outlet with custom cards.
Both of which I have a lot of fun with >:3

Although recently my cube has functioned as much more of a weird constructed format with just a few highly invested players, due to the troubles of getting people together