General CBS

@sigh sure, there's no reason to be mean spirited about it, which is why I said that Brad shouldn't be mean-spirited about it and that maybe it would be better if this stayed as just a thought exercise. I'm still not sold on the idea that beating someone in a game is mean-spirited, but to each their own.

And you're right, it's not a given that people are going to break systems constantly throughout life. However, what I was trying to get across is that that's an integral part of magic, and every kid there is probably already going through the process of trying to improve their deck! So this wouldn't introduce anything truly novel.

You're also right that kids can figure out everything by themselves, but again, that's not the point I'll making either. I'm saying that it's better that the adult be the enemy, not that it's required for any sort of social functioning. If Brad is one of the adults in charge of this group, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that he'd probably prefer they be somewhat annoyed with him rather than squabbling amongst themselves, lol.

yeah i think the number one factor here is approach….
“hey kids this format is pretty cool, here’s something kinda wild that you can do in it”
or on the other end of the spectrum
“you’re playing magic wrong, i’m gonna punish you for it by ruining your fun”

you’re a good person, so i’m sure the second approach is not actually what you’re trying to do <3

I already explained to the kids that they might want to modify those rules for some of the reasons outlined. The main kid who made these rules said it was impossible to break it like that, hence me actually going through with making the deck. It's not like I'm just pulverizing them for the hell of it, although it will be kind of fun.

Another thing to consider is that the actual game of Magic will be like 3-5 minutes at most, we can open a new discussion based on it, and continue from there. That's why I went with the turn one kill rather than durdling with Elixir or Lost in the Woods or something that takes forever to act out.

They have limited access to cards, but it isn't long until a kid's booster has an X spell in it. At that point, they'll have to ban the card or change the rules and it could cause some tension within their playgroup.

I think Zoss had some great points about how this will force them to consider a lot of things that are key aspects to all kinds of games. What does a fair rule set look like? How can I maximize my advantage within this rule set to get wins?

Hopefully my schedule will get changed at work soon to have a few hours of MtG with these guys a week and I can get them on some Jumpstarts and have them start figuring out new strategies through those.

On the second page there's a cube called "Literally Everything II", implying that this is the second cube they own that includes every card in existence :') Like, what's the use case for two of these bad boys?
It’s like if you run a 360 card cube but 12 people turn up: pull out your second cube and split into 2 drafts of 6. If you have a 20,000 card cube and more than 444 people turn up, you’ll be glad you brought that second cube.

Ah, so there really isn't any prior art that I can look at for making a non-garbage Infect archetype (note: I think that trad hyper-aggro Infect is pretty garbage).

Glancing over the BIG OL' LIST of cubes that include Corpse Cur... a lot of them are either Mirrodin cubes or "oops I put all of the commons in a bucket" cubes. That said, I did find a proliferate-based cube, so maybe that'll have something interesting going on.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
It’s like if you run a 360 card cube but 12 people turn up: pull out your second cube and split into 2 drafts of 6. If you have a 20,000 card cube and more than 444 people turn up, you’ll be glad you brought that second cube.
This is more than the total population of my high school :p
A whole magic based commune, where everyone wants to draft, but only one nutter has a cube.

i hear the BTP fractal-cubing commune is recruiting more drafters by teleporting into your houses and whispering the method for downloading your consciousness to their cubenet in your ears while you sleep