General Custom Cards: The Lab

Idk if you already knew this but Brother's War Commander did give us a "canon" way of doing old border colored artifacts (see Mnemonic Sphere) but they're not actually brown so it probably doesn't quite what you're going for.
I actually did not know that. I had been looking for them for a while. But yeah, really want that brown. Thanks though! That's very cool.

ByoCSN9.png

It looks a little worse imo, but this is already in CC.

ByoCSN9.png

It looks a little worse imo, but this is already in CC.
Yeah, I did see that and have modified it a bit for legendary artifacts. I'm just not a huge fan of it.

I can also post my frame if anyone wants to mess around with it. I'll do that when I'm home.

I actually did not know that. I had been looking for them for a while. But yeah, really want that brown. Thanks though! That's very cool.
Having payed (and played) with those commander decks. Yes, they should have been brown (or at least partly brown). It is very hard to count the number of artifacts when they look like regular non artifact cards.

Having payed (and played) with those commander decks. Yes, they should have been brown (or at least partly brown). It is very hard to count the number of artifacts when they look like regular non artifact cards.
I had to stare at it for a while to make sure I was looking at an artifact.

@Phone 's design > The Brothers' War design

But that's a given since Wizards designed Brothers artifacts how they WOULD have designed them in 1993.

@Phone 's design > The Brothers' War design

But that's a given since Wizards designed Brothers artifacts how they WOULD have designed them in 1993.
Yeah, I feel like that's true. I understand that straying from the original would be against what they want to do, but the cards need to be readable. It feels like there's been an increasing discussion about that recently.

I agree.

There was a time when Wizards used frames as a way to tell us something. For instance the Theros Nyx frames look like stars in the sky because they wanted to be sure we would notice that the creatures were also enchantments so we didn’t forget during the games that Naturalize shoots down Master of Waves.

Now they use frames to give us variance which is also nice I think.

I agree.

There was a time when Wizards used frames as a way to tell us something. For instance the Theros Nyx frames look like stars in the sky because they wanted to be sure we would notice that the creatures were also enchantments so we didn’t forget during the games that Naturalize shoots down Master of Waves.

Now they use frames to give us variance which is also nice I think.
it can't have worked that well or you would have named one of the actual enchantment creatures lol

@safra
Haha that’s a good point! :p
I used to be able to remember them all and distinguish between them easily. But lately it’s not as easy anymore with non-enchantment creatures having the enchantment frame.

https://scryfall.com/sets/mom

My point was that it used to mean something. Now it also means something but has less value and is therefore more confusing.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
@safra
I used to be able to remember them all and distinguish between them easily. But lately it’s not as easy anymore with non-enchantment creatures having the enchantment frame.

My point was that it used to mean something. Now it also means something but has less value and is therefore more confusing.
If you are referring to the special frames for the Theros cards in MOM, they actually used the enchantment frame only on enchantments! Compare...

1699349180702.png 1699349197477.png

Heliod has the enchantment frame (notice the borders on the side and the starry crown), but Kroxa and Kunoros (and also Polukranos Reborn) don't. It's the art that is super misleading, not the frame ;)

Okay what about the Adventure frame?
(Only cards with Adventure)

Or the Invention frame?
(Only artifacts)

Or the Invocation frame?
(Only instants and sorceries)

Or the Landfall frame?
(Only landfall permanents)

Or the Stained Glass frame?
(Only planeswalkers)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
@safra

This is also kinda a design knock against the enchantment creatures, as there's little singling them out other than flavor, which can go either way.