Raveborn Tinkerings: a bounceland format

I can see why you want to get rid of Frantic Search and Snap, smoothing draws or bouncing big creatures while ramping is pretty strong, the latter especially if you keep care of your ETB count. However, I don't get why you have to remove all of the package. There's two Cloud of Faeries in my list (supports blue ramp/tempo and is good with Drake Haven), together with the two blue ninjutsu cards it's quite consistently ramping, but not oppressive. Vizier of Tumbling Sands is an interesting card, too, that falls into the very same category. Rewind is a lame one, it's only able to ramp you (which you usually want to do things proactively) if you get to counter something.

I don't know, I really like the idea of giving blue the ability to ramp as it's usually drawing you into UG as a tempoesque archetype. Maybe the density of untapping cards was the problem?

My views on ramp have evolved a lot with this format. My thinking now is that ramp is really just so mechanically isolated and has such a negative effect on the format, that it's a predatory force that breaks a fundamental element of the game, which I'll call "pacing".

Normally, violating "pacing" comes at a cost: your ramp tools don't have efficient ETBs typically, forcing you to choose between either committing a lot of bodies onto the board which are easily ripped up (Birds of Paradise et al), or to spells that aren't really that dynamic in addressing your opponent's threats (Farseek et al). In exchange, you're hoping to deploy something game-wrecking faster than your opponent can out-value you with spell-bodies (Vendilion Clique et al) or strong aggression (Goblin Rabblemaster), and to stick it despite powerful disruptive tools (Doom Blade). This is a fun challenge, and it's a pretty marginal strategy in those mid-high power formats.

The relationship is very different here, though. There is a paucity of efficient spell-bodies, the removal is overall operating a little leaner and less efficiently, and the aggressive decks are excited to stick much less efficient threats as they develop. Aggressive decks aren't trying to win by T4 before the board wipe, because the threat of a simple Wrath of God isn't present, which removes this time requirement. Instead, the aggressive decks are happy to chip you down enough that they can extend an effective reach strategy after you begin to stabilize to punch through the last bit of your life total. Without cutting off aggro's win or loss at an arbitrary point of Wrath of God or Rout, instead aggro no longer feels temporally discrete, which has a similar "unbinding" effect on midrange and control. The entire format collapses into one where everyone is pursuing victory at different points in the game and trying to achieve different things along the way, redefining the game along a nexus not of "what turn do you win", but "what do you want to do each turn". The entire game, then, hinges on a shared agreement of what qualifies at each point of the game as a competitive play, which means that pacing should be smoother, more routine, and less open to disruption.

So a ramp deck just sort of jams into that speed-tuning structure and disrupts the pacing, and tries to bring things that come later much earlier. This puts immense pressure on the more durdly decks that want to naturally emerge from a slowed-down, evenly-paced format, which inevitably means you spend a lot of time policing your ramp and late-game tools, all to get a pretty boring top-end package that only really wins because you've outmaneuvered your opponent on this one resource (mana) to cheat the default rules of the game, pacing.

This is a fine choice to make, but it just isn't the sort of meta relationship I wanted, and I think it's really just a boring use of slots, which is why I've removed most of the ramp from not just blue, but also green. There's still a little, and I may add in another piece down the road to green, but it's just not the sort of dynamic I want here. I'd rather have it be expected that there is a chance for T7-8 to see some real haymakers come out like Approach of the Second Sun or God-Pharaoh's Gift, rather than feeling the need to constrain these threats into something more middling-but-strong that isn't very exciting or game-altering, simply because there's a chance a particular deck will come out and rush those things through early enough that the opponent just concedes to it instantly.

However, just because ramp's (mostly) off the table, doesn't mean that {U}{G} isn't still doing the same sort of thing: it's still a pair interested in overwhelming the opponent with a resource advantage, but instead of mana access and cheating on pacing, it's looking to win through card access and cheating on efficiency. This was really what the pair was already strongest at, it just kind of got hidden behind all the glamour of flashy ramp effects, which I don't think it needed. {U}{G} has an abundance of effective card draw, quality, and selection effects that can very quickly put them ahead of their opponent. They leverage these card-access effects to get to what they need at any given moment and increase their options dramatically as the game winds on, which is how they're going to pull ahead and secure a win. I think the three cards in the Simic section really underscore this refocusing of the relationship, but it was a deck that was already really my favourite way to play before anyway, which is more Miracle Grow than super-ramp.

Update Time!

A mini-update I've been playing with already but hadn't gotten around to posting about; expect another in about two weeks as I patch in Rivals. :p

{W} White {W}
Out:

In:

Cutting Kytheon wasn't necessary, and I could see bringing him back. I like his front side; I just wish he didn't transform. Approach gets axed because that sort of alt-win condition feels really boring in my format, where 7 mana is no great feat. Excited to bring Dispeller's Capsule in; contraptions demand an increase in my artifact removal count, and this gives another bauble to push artifact counts and be used as sacrifice fodder.

{U} Blue {U}
Out:

In:

Blue gets the biggest shake-ups. Spell Swindle is strong, so I'm going back to Confirm Suspicions and bringing in Broken Ambitions to bolster reactive options a tad in the exchange. Also shifting around the bounce package a bit, bringing in one of my favourite Theros cards (♥ Nimbus Naiad), and pulling out some overpowered stuff. Search for Azcanta is a bit much without being very exciting, and Incite Insight is just stone busted. What a miserable card, just, wow.

{B} Black {B}
Out:

In:

Black gets an adjustment to its answer suite and more contraption production. Contraptions are pretty powerful; I thought Finders, Keepers was overcosted, but it should be great.

{R} Red {R}
Out:

In:

I forgot to order a Hissing Iguanar, so I just went back to ol' Prodds. Pretty excited that Release the Gremlins looks playable now!

{G} Green {G}
Out:

In:

Green's fight tools are getting upgraded, and I'm giving the color some more splash orientation. Traverse the Ulvenwald, Font of Fertility, and Peregrination are all really sweet ramp/splash enablers, and just about right for my power level, with All Suns' Dawn being an added incentive. Also bringing in Rhox as a hard-to-answer threat that both midrange and control love to play.

{c} Artifacts/Colorless {c} / {W/U} Multicolor {G/U}
Out:

In:

God-Pharaoh's Gift, similar to Approach of the Second Sun, just seemed like such a lazy way to win games in this slowed-down format. Ditching it and the quirky Otherworld Atlas for some more general-purpose pieces, again oriented around getting my format more attractive to splash in.

Pretty small number of changes compared to my usual big swap-dumps! As usual, I welcome questions, comments, and drafts (please follow my suggested parameters if you do) :D

These changes look really cool. I've always wanted to play with peregrination, and now you've added it, I feel safe to give it a try too! Your comments about ramp have really got me thinking about what I want to be doing in my cube. If I'm limiting wraths to five mana, and reanimation spells to four mana plus, then why would I want to ruin that with the cards I'm giving ramp access to? There's a risk that ramp can end up one of the best decks for that reason.

If I'm pushing green into control, aggro support and graveyard mid-range/combo, then ramp (if I'm playing it) needs to work with those themes in the overarching environment. I'm gonna give this some more thought, but would welcome your thoughts on the direction you're going if you get the opportunity.

These changes look really cool. I've always wanted to play with peregrination, and now you've added it, I feel safe to give it a try too! Your comments about ramp have really got me thinking about what I want to be doing in my cube. If I'm limiting wraths to five mana, and reanimation spells to four mana plus, then why would I want to ruin that with the cards I'm giving ramp access to? There's a risk that ramp can end up one of the best decks for that reason.

If I'm pushing green into control, aggro support and graveyard mid-range/combo, then ramp (if I'm playing it) needs to work with those themes in the overarching environment. I'm gonna give this some more thought, but would welcome your thoughts on the direction you're going if you get the opportunity.

These days, my rule of thumb is that for anything to feel like a "thing", I want 3-5 copies of the effect. Since I want ramp to feel like a green quirk specifically (but not a theme or archetype explicitly), I've afforded 3 slots; 1 for a creature, and two for spells, ideally all at different points on the curve. At the moment, the creature slot fell to Voyaging Satyr, who is exciting but still easy to disrupt. I could see downgrading that or even giving them a buddy (Golden Hind and Dawntreader Elk are both on my list for this), but green's 2-drops are just outrageously dense, and in a 3-player format, 6 creatures per color in the 2-drop slot is really about as much as I should afford, and everything else I'm running it just way too perfect to cut just yet (though I've got my eye on Mayor of Avabruck).

For my spells, Font of Fertility seemed like a no-brainer; it can function similarly to Think Twice in that it's a great gap-filler for reactive decks wanting to hold up mana. This will go off on T2 sometimes and feel like Rampant Growth, but I'm giving it a shot because I think gap-filling is going to be its primary use. The other goes to the more appropriate-looking Peregrination. I ran Harmonize in this format when I first cultivated it, and I found it to be awfully strong. This has a similar power level, I think; drawing 2 lands, putting one of them onto the battlefield, and scrying 1, while trading a {G} for a generic mana, makes it an attractive alternative that doesn't overshadow what the other colors are capable of, draw-wise.

Then we have two land-grabbing pieces (Traverse the Ulvenwald, Merfolk Branchwalker) and the graveyard package, which features more niche land-grabbers that are virtually never used for land-grabbing explicitly, but offer the opportunity at least (Vessel of Nascency, Grapple with the Past, Life from the Loam, Ramunap Excavator, and Pulse of Murasa).

Realistically, then, we only have 3 pieces devoted to the ramp package, and they're all pretty general-purpose. I think that green does want a few pieces of ramp, simply because that's the traditional view of the color's strength and a unique appeal to it. If white has something as beastly as Mother of Runes (don't think I haven't been keeping an eye on her, she's pretty nuts I agree), blue has Enclave Cryptologist, black has Cryptbreaker, and red has Goblin Sharpshooter, I think it only stands to reason that green gets something similarly powerful and iconic as well. To cut ramp entirely would mean I could orient the pair more towards land-grabbing, but that style of ability isn't really on-par with the sort of hooks and flashy bits that other colors have, and I risk the color identities melting together if I remove mana development outright.

I will say that I had previously pushed pretty hard to make the graveyard-ramp deck look good (Splendid Reclamation and its enabler/buddy Sudden Reclamation hung around for a good while), but it asks an awful lot and never looked that fun once I tried to play it. This has been a recurring theme with "weird cards that ramp somehow", so I'm pretty down on quirky ramp build-arounds, but I could see how they might appeal to a different set of drafters. My format also has a higher bar for what passes as card advantage due to the presence of Contraptions, which are essentially Planeswalker-style free spells on a timer; this makes something like World Shaper feel a lot less spicy than, say, Joyride Rigger.

I hope that maybe answered your question? It's possible I misinterpreted it :confused:

Oh, one last thing: I'm running 2 ramp pieces in colorless (Cultivator's Caravan and Meteorite), but artifacts get a lot more leeway since they can open up such fascinating new decks by nature of their flexibility. I'm considering a second 3-mana rock, but I think that may be a bit much.

Thank you, that answers my questions and more! Gives me lots of food for thought. Thanks for taking the time to write that.

I thought similar comparisons between harmonise and peregrination, and I have a soft spot for font of fertility. The number of cards to demote to ramp is actually really quite eye opening.

I think traditionally the view on ramp is that it's an "all-or-nothing" identity for green, so running only a few pieces seems perhaps counterintuitive, but I look at it instead as simply a color feature that I want present, which requires far less slots than making it a standalone deck type that is essentially drafted on-rails. I took a similar approach to black's Raise Dead effects (Grim Harvest, Oversold Cemetery, Reaping the Graves) and value-reanimation effects (Claim // Fame, Unearth, Dread Return and new test subject Victimize). There's not really a density for reanimator to be an all-in archetype, but it's enough pieces to provide a strong backbone for black's color identity and provide a unique direction to approach the color from. I think ramp can serve a similar purpose for green, being color-defining but not explicitly necessary for a functional and fun green deck, but that may be dependent on having a sufficient number of mana sinks and a slow enough format for inconsistent "pacing violations" to be appreciated like they are here.

Update Time!

After a few months of very infrequent cubing due to other hobbies taking my/our attention, my little group is eager to play again, so I've updated my list significantly. It's a lot, so settle in with a snack and skim as you please.

Three key aspects to this update: color pair focus; color identity focus; and addressing complexity.

1. Color Pair Focus
I've gotten pretty good at monitoring unnecessary duplication vs redundancy, as well as curve-policing. The next natural step was building decks for each color pair as I worked up the list. I've done this really loosely in the past, but I was pretty strict about it this time and found it incredibly helpful in tuning each pair. Really helped to shore up my problem pairs, and help make some tough choices in what to cut and keep. While each theoretical list could potentially just not perform as well as I'd hope, I'm relatively confident that they're reasonably competitive and have different lines of play, which is really my main goal, and they work as a functional backbone upon which I can strengthen the archetypes down the road. I may post them and share write-ups about archetypes I'm supporting at a later time if they pan out in-draft as I hope, but here are the archetypes I settled on:

{W}{U} Historic/Skies - artifacts-matter, lovely legendaries, aerial superiority. all fun. all good.​
{U}{B} Self-Mill/Saboteurs - graveyard play is nice, but how about some hard-to-block little shits?​
{B}{R} Suicide/Reanimator - now with actually appealing sacrifice outlets and fodder​
{R}{G} Stompy/Big Gruul - this is fun to do sometimes okay?​
{G}{W} Counters/Auras - growers are always appreciated​
{W}{B} Life Pay Aggro/Midrange - good luck racing I'm behind 7 lifelink tokens​
{B}{G} Aristocrats/Death-Matters - death and glory. "for when one casting just wasn't enough"​
{G}{U} Miracle Grow/Ophidian Tempo - fiddly bullshit is my eternal jam​
{U}{R} Spells-Matter/Artifacts - gosh i hope this works this time​
{R}{W} Artifact Aggro/Tiny Toolbox - historically one of the best decks, and very fun to pilot​

2. Color Identity Focus
I've tried to give each color some more room to do what it is mechanically and historically attributed with doing. I'll go into that a bit more in each update section, but at a glance, this means: banisher priest effects for white; cheaper evasives and counterspells in blue; reanimator for black; aggressive, sacrifice, and token tools in red; and beefy bodies in green. This is a very loose overview, but it's something to keep an eye on as you peek at the includes.

3. Addressing Complexity
I say with no ego that I'm relatively competent as a Magic player. My playgroup is also, but they're overall less experienced. A great thing about this list before was that the archetypes were reasonably grokkable in some pairs, but in others, they were more obscure and awkward to pilot, and the pieces in some cases just didn't make a lot of sense. Transmute cards are awkward tutors, and require shuffling, which is a dreadful task nobody likes to do much that adds time to each game. Are they too complex? No, but they do add to the overall involvement of a game in a way that I think is unnecessary. Similarly, having just one instance of a keyword show up is unpleasant; I've tried to avoid it where I can. I could say a lot in this section, but suffice to say that I think the list is overall more readable, more easy to intuit, has less mechanical isolation, and should lead to smoother games. We'll see how this pans out.

Finally, I cut my cube size down further, from 300 to 280. This tightens my variance to around 80%, which should make decks a bit more consistent in assembling key pieces while also forcing some resourcefulness when what you want doesn't show up how you want it. I may increase the size again later; still not really sure where the sweet spot is.

That's enough preamble; to the cards!

{W} White {W}
Out:

In:

White has historically done very well here, and a part of that was due to giving the color a bit too much power without enough of it being synergy-dependent. Mother of Runes is likely to come back due to her popularity and iconic status, but Blade Splicer, Master Splicer, Sunscourge Champion, and Mikaeus, the Lunarch were all a little too on-the-nose; they did a ton of work in literally any deck, and really felt like must-picks that would pull you into the color very easily. Other outgoing cards worth noting is Aerial Toastmaster and Midlife Upgrade, who felt a tad dull, and Cast Out, for curve concerns. By Gnome Means will probably return at some point; it's quite interesting, I just didn't want it for now.

In exchange, white picks up a new Protect-the-Queen effect in Dauntless Bodyguard, which is a notable downgrade from Mother of Runes but still seems quite solid. Adanto Vanguard comes in because it's a nice card that plays well with life-gain, and Danitha Capashen, Paragon comes in as a solid body of stats that's just screaming to be built around.

Last on our general tools tour, we have Banisher Priest and Bishop of Binding. I really like the Banisher Priest effect, and I think it belongs in white, so I've added it; I like that these effects don't play nicely with trying to recur them, as they can only ever grab 1 creature at a time and are relatively simple to remove. I've also added a spattering of solid auras; we'll see if my removal suite makes them traps or not, but I'm somewhat confident that they'll play nicely.

White also has two new build-towards. The most notable (and demanding) is certainly Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle, who looks well-positioned in this list, due to the high count of artifacts and legendaries. Meanwhile, Evra, Halcyon Witness poses some interesting questions for your opponent and looks like a blast to try to break.

{U} Blue {U}
Out:

In:

Exiting the cube: Champion of Wits (for being too on-the-nose), Laboratory Maniac (he comes and goes), Undead Alchemist (unsupported at this point, unfortunately), some expensive counterspells, and much of the old curve-toppers. None of these cards were particularly offensive, but I felt like I needed a change. Notably, a lot of Un-cards are going; Crafty Octopus (easy value piece), Chipper Chopper (too dull), Spy Eye (cute, might return), and Five-Finger Discount (a bit strong). I also dropped the two transmute cards, Muddle the Mixture and Drift of Phantasms, because I'm really tired of shuffle effects, and felt they weren't worth holding onto anymore.

Mostly, there's some power-level retooling here: some bounce getting recosted; the counterspells getting cheaper and a bit more fiddly; Spy Eye turning into Jhessian Thief and Mneumonic Wall turning into Archaeomancer. All of these are with an eye to the curve and an exploration of how to push blue aggression a bit more while also adjusting how control plays.

On the subject of aggression, the addition of more cheap fliers (and Latch Seeker, for good measure) as well as some evasion-granting tools (Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive, Aether Tunnel, and Mistfire Adept) should help blue aggro decks have a more solid grounding, as well as unique identity in the color wheel. I can't stress enough just how brilliantly Siren Stormtamer and Cogmentor performed in this list, just as 1/1 flying bodies for 1 mana, and I think Artificer's Assistant is a great add to this line-up, while also having an easy-to-trigger card quality effect.

The "value bridge" between aggro and control angles bears some brief mention; the adjustments to the disruptive suite (see Spell Pierce, Daze, and Watertrap Weaver) should help to further boost blue-oriented aggression without hurting control too much.

As for control decks proper, The Mirari Conjecture is the crowning jewel, but I expect to see Naru Meha, Master Wizard be used for all sorts of oddball shenanigans as the game goes long. Paradoxical Outcome is easily the strangest include, but blue needed some adjustments to its card draw suite, and I'm curious to see what it can do here - it might be used as mostly an expensive Rescue that cantrips, and that might be enough.

Finally, some build-towards: aside from Tetsuko, Naru Meha, and the Conjecture, I've also added Sai, Master Thopterist and Zahid, Djinn of the Lamp, both adding some spicy incentives to play more artifacts. I think they're going to be really great here!

{B} Black {B}
Out:

In:

Exiting black: The +1/+1 counters package gets the boot, as well as some Un-cards. Inhumaniac and Extremely Slow Zombie weren't really what the list wanted, and Overt Operative just felt unnecessary. Seekers' Squire is a great card hitting the bench; black gets the most restrictions on its cheap value creatures due to its abundance of recursion and sacrifice effects, and I want to make sure black is dipping into other colors for most of its fodder/loop needs. I also dropped Marionette Master, as it was sort of awkward as a must-pick, goes-in-every-deck 6 drop that only ever encouraged 3-color decks due to my cube not supporting black as an artifact color very well. I'm also giving Slaughter some time on the bench while I test this new lifegain package; I don't want to risk it being miserable to play against now that there's more pieces of life gain. As usual, I've determined Victimize is a bad card (why must I keep learning this lesson?), and Liliana's Mastery was too generic-feeling now that I've cut some zombie producers in both white and blue.

Aside from those swaps, there's also lots of adjustments to removal power level. Black's identity requires it have access to some of the cleanest removal; in respect to this, I've added some more. Walk the Plank, Assassinate, and the ambitious Public Execution flesh out the removal package in black; there's still plenty of conditional pieces that are worth playing, but the color needed some more premier removal.

I've also added two recursive creatures: Dread Wanderer and Oathsworn Vampire. Wanderer gets the nod over Bloodsoaked Champion for fitting into more decks, though I may give 2shieldz a whirl again later. As for Oathsworn Vampire, it recurs for less mana than Wanderer and has a nicer body as well as (occasionally) relevant typing, but with a stricter recursion trigger.

Furthering the sacrifice package, I've brought in Indulgent Aristocrat; there's now a few vampires in the list, although I think even growing just himself is fine since he's got lifelink and is able to block. I've also caved on my DFC resistance to bring in Heir of Falkenrath as an aggressive tool that fits in a ton of decks, with Dauthi Marauder and Ruin Raider joining in to cap off the beatdown package. I really like Dauthi Marauder; I expect it to be a great tool to keep the game advancing during potential stalls.

For the general toolbox, I've brought in Ukud Cobra as a brick wall, Supernatural Stamina for some staying power, and Lay Bare the Heart as targeted discard. Lay Bare should be kept in check here due to the abundance of legends, many of which are functioning as build-arounds or power pieces in decks, which should help keep this feeling somewhat fair. Speaking of cute disruption, I've added Vampiric Link, which can function like a really weird Pacifism when it isn't going on your own creatures. Black's draw suite needed some massaging, so I've added Scarscale Ritual and Read the Bones. Ritual is especially nice because creature-light control decks will rarely want it, letting it get to the sacrifice-oriented/creature-focused decks who need it more easily.

Tinkering with black's recursion, I've added Haunted Crossroads in place of Oversold Cemetery. Cemetery always felt a bit bomby. I think the increased cost of Crossroads (1 more mana, and it costs {B} each time you activate it, and it doesn't draw you the card for free each turn) helps to balance it somewhat in a general list, but also opens it up to exploitation if you have some way to draw multiple cards each turn, so I'm looking forward to seeing what it does. I've also added Death Denied, which has always been great, and less fussy than Reaping the Graves.

For our build-towards, Whisper, Blood Liturgist is the one most exciting to me. She seemed to perform quite nicely in her limited format, and has more flexibility here. I've also got Torgaar, Famine Incarnate, which appeals to ramp, sacrifice, and reanimator strategies. The absence of evasion makes it look pretty fair, and if you power it out early you do still risk getting blown out by a removal spell, so I think I like it. The ETB also isn't too exploitable.. I don't think..

{R} Red {R}
Out:

In:

Exiting Red: lots of value-bodies. Wrench-Rigger and Garbage Elemental (contraption/undying version) will be missed dearly, as they were great fun; I do think Wrench-Rigger might return, though it's a very powerful effect. Alesha, Who Smiles at Death hits the bench for a bit, as does Pia and Kiran Nalaar and the lands-matter stuff. Sin Prodder gets the axe for feeling bad a bit more than I'd like. Steamflogger Temp, Flame Fusillade, and Release the Gremlins were all a bit underwhelming here, whereas Curse of Opulence and Volcanic Vision felt a little stupidly powerful. I love Volcanic Vision, but I don't think it's a very fair-feeling card..

In exchange, red gains Goblin Motivator to help bursty aggro and midrange decks, which I'm excited to have. I'm also trying Goblin War Drums and Rampaging Ferocidon; red wanted more Menace, and these seem like fine choices. Flamewake Phoenix also adds some power to the beatdown decks, and ties very well into both {R}{G} Stompy and {B}{R} Midrange Sacrifice decks, giving both pairs a spicy pick-up that the leaner aggro decks are slightly less interested in poaching while still being a solid pickup for those tiny aggro decks that incentive vertical strategies/equipment.

At the very competitive 2-drop slot, Dismissive Pyromance and Dark-Dweller Oracle join to offer some conditional card draw tools, as well as a little boost to sacrifice strategies. I've also added Heart-Piercer Manticore, who felt a bit criminally excluded here (I just didn't like the awkwardness of its unique triggered ability text). Charmbreaker Devils comes in to juice up spell strategies, and I'm hoping they stick this time. At the intersection between sacrifice and spells, I'm trying Dance with Devils and Devils' Playground. Really curious to see what these cards can do in cube.

Also, in an effort to diversify sweepers a bit, I've added Pyroclasm, which should do well in clearing all the little bodies in the cube and help to reign in token swarm decks, with the added benefit of not bullying the slightly larger aggressive cards or eliminating control's 3-toughness blockers. I'm glad to be rid of Sweltering Suns for a bit - cycling felt a bit too nice on that effect, and it was simply too good at clearing aggro boards for my taste.

{G} Green {G}
Out:

In:

Oof, that's a lot of swaps. Mayor of Avabruck obviously gets dropped for being too strong. Den Protector goes because it felt a bit oddly isolated as the only morph, although I could easily bring her back. A lot of these are just hitting the bench, really: Quirion Ranger, Merfolk Branchwalker, Resilient Khenra, Ohran Viper, Joyride Rigger, Acidic Slime, Fangren Marauder, Dissenter's Deliverance, Lifecrafter's Bestiary, Pulse of Murasa, Spider Spawning.. literally any of those could come back. Less likely to return is Waker of the Wilds (a bit of a generic bomb), Nylea's Emissary (a bit below rate here), Traverse the Ulvenwald (mechanically isolated), and Rhox (not sure I like Regenerate in cubes because it's such an odd mechanic to grok).

Overall, green has gotten stronger; my initial suggested adds were well-liked, but my players felt that none of the proposed adds really drew them into green. I definitely related; why bother with Bitterbow Sharpshooters and Pelakka Wurm when I can fool around with Angel of Invention or Bloodgift Demon? While the furries and the wurm are nice, they just don't offer a ton of excitement. Seeing as green also has terrible removal and doesn't tie into artifacts well at all, I needed to adjust my approach, and I've settled on simply giving green better creatures.

This makes sense from a color identity approach: white gets cheap, flexible creatures that pivot well between aggro tools and control tools, with some beefy fliers and anthems to wrap things up; blue gets little fliers and unblockable tools which are complemented by bounce and counter protection; black gets some fliers and hard-to-block tools as well as clean removal; red has burn and access to menace and haste to push damage through; and green, having the least removal of all the pairs, gets slightly better creatures. I think this balance can work; I just need to be careful about it.

For the cheap beef, Manaplasm joins as a fun card that gets really exciting for the Miracle Grow decks especially but which can fit just about anywhere; I anticipate a lot of bluffing and a lot of combo kills. Swing with Deeproot Champion and Manaplasm as unblockable 1/1s off of Tetsuko, Spore Swarm, you take 7? And it only goes up from there!

For more direct tools, Thrashing Brontodon, Mouth // Feed, and Elephant Guide all bring some real stomp. I was low on Thrashing Brontodon as it's obviously good, but I've come around on it; artifacts and enchantments are scary enough in this list to justify blowing up your 3/4 sometimes, which adds some tension around how to play with it and how to deploy your artis/enchants when it's on the board, and every color has some variation of highly-desired-3-drop, so why not green?

Moving up the curve, I've got Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma, Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar, and Verdant Sun's Avatar, all solid picks that ask for very little to make them great. The most suspicious add here is certainly Greenwarden of Murasa, as it's very flatly a value play; the others, at least, require some more thoughtful deckbuilding to maximize. We'll see how it works out, but I admit I'm wary.

As for general tools, I've added Channeler Initiate, Dryad Greenseeker, Song of Freyalise, and Living Wish as land-tutors/ramp effects. We'll get back to Living Wish in a moment, but I do want to note that I'm a bit wary of Song of Freyalise; that's a lot of punch! As for card selection/draw more generally, we get The Mending of Dominaria as a do-it-all enabler/recursion tool, Nostalgic Dreams as a fair Seasons Past effect, Mouth // Feed and Colossal Majesty for the beefier decks, and Fecundity for the combo decks. Fecundity might be too good; I envision some scary turns where the sacrifice deck turns Saproling Migration into a supercharged Opportunity, but I want to see what it can do.

Back to Living Wish; I'm very down on shuffle effects these days, so I decided to give this a try, with a Wishboard. Aside from fetching sideboard creatures (which should be a fringe application that rarely gets used), it can also grab:

I really like this package: you get some strong fixing, an artifact strategy enabler, a 3-mana cantrip, a removal spell that costs a land drop, or a beater that costs a land drop. At 2-mana, I think any of these are reasonable pick-ups without feeling too good. I also love that it can function like Land Grant, pushing down land counts for greedier decks. This selection package might need to be trimmed, but for now, I'm excited to try it; 2 mana is a real cost to pull a land to your hand, and it doesn't thin your deck, either.

{c} Artifacts/Colorless {c}
Out:

In:

Exiting is some fixing (needed less as I shrunk the cube and I hate all these shuffle-causing effects these days), but more notably, some strong stuff. Platinum Angel felt a little too obvious of a pick in this slowed-down format, Metallic Mimic threatens to combo off with Murderous Redcap which I won't allow, and Obelisk of Urd wasn't doing anything. Conqueror's Galleon just bored me, whereas Nevinyrral's Disk does too much for my taste.

A note on Commander equipment: Bloodforged Battle-Axe is busted and leads to some very unfun games. I really, really caution against it; if your aggro decks have any teeth at all, it quickly gets out of hand. Similarly, Heirloom Blade is just too good; it's a big buff for very cheap, and it routinely draws you a card. I could see an argument for the Blade, but Battle-Axe is a mistake to cube, I firmly believe that.

For includes, we've got Traxos, Scourge of Kroog as a build-towards for historic-heavy decks, Primal Amulet for spells decks, Chaos Wand for removal-lite decks/shenanigans, Meteor Golem for ramp and reanimator fun, and Erratic Portal + Voyager Staff for some flicker/bounce goodness. Split Screen is also a solid piece of quirk.

Beyond that, we have Trusty Machete, Blackblade Reforged, and Sigiled Sword of Valeron joining as equipment options. I think Machete is a really solid all-around piece, whereas the other two adds really like particular decks: Blackblade loves to function as a finisher just about anywhere, but especially in token lists or legend-heavy lists, whereas the Sigiled Sword plays neatly in more midrange-style beatfests, but can just as easily enable tokens decks or help to build a board presence off of one resilient threat. I think I'll need to watch their power level carefully, but I think they both have plenty of room to be disrupted, so I'm not too concerned.

{W/U}{U/B}{B/R}{R/G}{G/W} Multicolor {W/B}{B/G}{G/U}{U/R}{R/W}
Out:

In:

Lots of changes as I work to reinforce archetypes!

{W}{U}: Refocusing the pair away from tokens and onto historic-matters by way of Hanna, Ship's Navigator and Raff Capashen, Ship's Mage. Azorius Charm joins as a flexible little thing that does work in any sort of {W}{U} deck, which is lovely. I'm counting Curse of Chains primarily as a white card, as it's the color that most wants enchantments, although blue will poach it too; similarly, Augury Adept plays best with blue's evasion-granting tools, but white may poach it to give it pants. I want to do more of these hybrid adds in the future, and I hope they all make as much sense as these two seem to make.

{U}{B}: Mill out, value body in. I think Psychic Symbiont might not be here for a long time, but they're here for a good time. :^)

{B}{R}: I hate Rakdos' card options, as they are mostly bad. Azra Oddsmaker seems to do what the pair wants, so we'll try that. Going down to 2 cards in this section, offset by adding Rakdos Cackler and Murderous Redcap, which both colors will want equally and which lowkey encourages a Rakdos configuration.

{R}{G}: Big swaps! Huntmaster of the Fells was pretty generically good, but now Green has some nice beef and I want to get to it faster instead off of Radha. Ghor-Clan Rampager will be good fun as a bloodrush damage spike, too. Going down to 2 cards in this section, offset by Burning-Tree Emissary and Giant Solifuge. I expect Solifuge is slightly more desirable in Green as an unexpected closer that turns on Colossal Majesty and parties with Goreclaw, but it also turns on Flamewake Phoenix, and red like hasty beaters. Similarly, Burning-Tree Emissary is more likely to make its way into red-oriented aggro decks. However, both encourage an {R}{G} formation, so I think these are fair adds to justify dropping 1 true multicolor until I decide to add one again.

{G}{W}: Cutting all this generic and boring power stuff for some more quirky and powerful stuff. Shanna, Sisay's Legacy and Satyr Enchanter both encourage the drafter to draft with them in mind, whereas Shalai, Voice of Plenty is being counted as a white card that will often tempt a drafter into picking up green. I have high hopes for Shalai, but I admit she's a little awkward, as she's perfectly playable without green, although I think she pushes drafters really hard to reach for it.

{W}{B}: Restoration Gearsmith boosts a pair which doesn't need it; Call to the Feast serves more themes here, and allows the Gearsmith to get color-shifted to where it belongs.

{B}{G}: Refocusing on Death-Matters, Golgari Germination and Poison-Tip Archer both look great in this pair, with Pharika's Mender coming in as a generic-but-powerful Gravedigger variant.

{G}{U}: Edric, Spymaster of Trest felt a little too good here. Tatyova, Benthic Druid and Kiora's Follower both play beautifully in the more durdly formation of Simic, whereas Skyrider Patrol helps to push through ophidians from blue and beef from green in the more aggressive orientation of this pair.

{U}{R}: What a mess this pair always wants to be! Adeliz, the Cinder Wind seems like a solid enough pickup for the spell-heavy decks, as it has some supporting Wizards already. Steam Augury offers some raw card draw in an efficient package, which the pair wants, and Ogre Savant gives Izzet a meaty, disruptive body (that is, cutely but unintentionally, a wizard). I'm timidly hopeful, but not over-the-moon optimistic.

{R}{W}: Honored Crop-Captain is not my favorite multicolor card, but {R/W} is honestly already too popular in my group, so I think this does a good job of underscoring a strength of the pair (go-wide aggro, often with little bodies or artifacts-matter shenanigans) without being too weak.

Whew! What an update. I'm exhausted now.. :confused:

As usual, I welcome questions, comments, and drafts (please follow my suggested parameters if you do) :>

Mini-Update!

Realized I was missing some cards; made some proxies to last until the rest arrive, but it gave me the opportunity to make some swaps for Commander 2018, too.

Out:

In:

Simple stuff.

{W}: Some more curve work; bumping out the least attractive +1/+1 counter lord, as I don't think I need it. Angel of Condemnation is hitting the bench, but we do like it.

{U}: I like Fortune's Favor because it's a cute minigame that won't cost you combo pieces. This is also why I cut Steam Augury; it feels awful when Villain gets to force combo pieces into the trash.

{B}: Shifting some life pay incentives around; Bloodgift Demon is just a bit stronger than I wanted here, I think, but he could come back (I do like hot demons).

{R}: Young Pyromancer returns to bolster Spells-Matter, who sorely needed him (I just hate to overstuff my 2-drops..), and I've added Reality Scramble as a solid, fun card that can also be a combo centerpiece.

{G}: Trying out Oath of Druids for a bit! Looking forward to forcing it a few times, going 1-2, and then cutting it because it's too awkward and my drafters find it hard to grok.

{G/W}{U/R}: Renegade Rallier is in because this cube is about Artifacts and Spells, and I don't have room to do Enchantments on top of that. Eager to make a mini Enchantment cube someday, though. Also brought in Izzet Charm; it's pretty general-purpose, but I think Izzet will appreciate the flexibility a lot (Steam Augury, again, just feels bad to me).

As usual, I welcome questions, comments, and drafts (please follow my suggested parameters if you do) :>

How have Somg of Freyalise, Whisper, Dismissive Pyromancer, and Tetsuko been? Why did you swap out Legion’s Landing? Power level?

Suuper late reply - I've had a busy couple of weeks, sorry!

Song of Freyalise - Powerful, but interesting. I like the sequencing puzzle it encourages, and it really makes the tokens deck potent. Will need a lot more drafts to determine if it's "too powerful", but I'm leaning towards "acceptably strong".

Whisper, Blood Liturgist - too soon to tell; need to see her played more. she's probably near the fringe here, but I think she has a home

Dismissive Pyromancer - amazing 2-drop in red; a very satisfying utility creature that is great to recur

Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive - perfect card, love it

Aaand as for Legion's Landing, it just wasn't serving a necessary purpose, so I cut it because I hate flip cards and only bother with em when they're really suitable to the list.

Gonna start trying to post my draft decks here (Yes, I actually play Magic)! Here's the lists from my last draft:

4c Falcon Punch

The big winner of the night! Abzan Falconer did a lot of heavy lifting here, as did Vengeful Rebirth on Find // Finality. What a beast! I need more instant speed removal after seeing this in action. Also, Song of Freyalise continues to make me anxious..

BR Ooze Combo

This ambitious little combo-oriented shell was put together by my newest drafter. Blood Artist and Starstorm were in the sideboard, a mistake I pointed out in our post-match discussion; some misplays and the cards in the sideboard cost them most of their matches, and I think this might've wound up on top with a bit more experience behind it. It makes me excited to draft more and see this player get more experience! :>

WGu Bant Monument

My deck! Oketra's Monument is a beast, especially with Venerated Loxodon. This has made me look to improve my artifact removal; my deck ran over the {B}{R} player somewhat due to their inability to answer my artifacts, and I'd rather give more artifact removal and power up my artifacts than just cut all the juicy ones.

Planning to draft again soon; I'll try to keep up with posting decklists, but I make no promises.