General (IKO & C20) Testing/Includes Thread

This is a testing/includes thread. Post pictures or a text list using /c with what cards you plan to include and what cards you plan to test. Feel free to include your Commander 2020 includes here as well.
This set was so weird... I'm not to big on the majority of the Mutate cards and the keyword counters are kind of weird. Cycling though... That's cools stuff to see again!

Includes:
en_K8xdxI7Q3u.png
en_OXO4sAXb1e.png
en_SgwCuVdZSE.png
en_TxiY4in8gd.png
en_zVIsReLzm5.png
en_1tmKd9OaL7.png
en_qoHjvieZ4j.png
en_lYEdfAe8YT.png

Including if I open:
en_oUOuLfSIdb.png

(And the other four Triomes)

Testing:
en_G675QDWuXp.png
en_wXDFrcLJKV.png
en_h3tCcvQ31G.png
en_vor968yXQq.png
en_PCD9SV3YMh.png
en_VViCRGqrtN.png
en_Teh5XGr53k.png
en_bEukf7HEQ5.png
en_35i9tZE7kp.png
en_ayrXu97mbX.png

Cut for Power:
en_yebeOoidEf.png

After reading this, I realized that I basically only like this set's cards because they have the word "cycling" on them. All but one of my "Slam Includes" have cycling, and the one that doesn't is a fatty that also draws cards. I think some of the mutate cards would be good enough if they gave you an effect at a time other than when they mutate. Migratory Greathorn might prove to be a good followup to a turn 1 Llanowar Elves, but that depends entirely on how Mutate plays. So basically, Dredge got a new toy, but that's about it unless you want to go full on Kaiju monster mode.

What are your plans for this set?

I have huge plans for this set.
RIP my wallet

And I don’t even like asian Modern Tokyo monster aliens.

Companions!
Greatest addition to this game since.. Sagas.. Or maybe Equipments.. Or maybe ever. I love my cube because it feels so fucking awesome to play with Magic cards the way we do. It is sort of a board game rogue-like Magic tournament where 3 players battle to level up, gain new abilities and reconstruct their deck again and again after each loss. My cube had cards like companions but now we can use these instead, hurraa!

The following 8 will go into The Coliseum:
yorionskynomad.jpggyrudadoomofdepths1.jpgoboshthepreypiercer.jpgjeganthathewellspring3.jpglurrusofthedreamden.jpgumorithecollector.jpgkerugathemacrosage1.jpglutrithespellchaser1.jpg

Mutations

Not really a big fan here. They don’t allow the mutated creatures to grow and grow. They just change power/toughness equal to the biggest. Therefore they are complex auras which means I might include a few but not really a theme.

brokkosapexofforever1.jpgseadasheroctopus.jpgeverquillphoenix1.jpggemrazer.jpg

Some unlikely scenarios includes a creature being mutated more than once and thus trigger an ability a second time. Otherwise the cards needs to be able to stand on their own legs and not be part of a theme.

Keyword counters!!

This is also a mechanic I have been using in my rogue-like cube. We had quests the players could complete and their reward would be to upgrade their cards. Some of the upgrades were exactly keyword counters. I think I will switch my mechanic out with the official and simply use these instead. They are a bit more narrow and simple but it feels better to use official stuff than custom stuff; appeals to a broarder audience.

188FA635-D114-4804-9200-C5A39830D2B1.png

I will also include the following cards that use the keyword counters themselves

luminousbroodmoth1.jpg

And because I have a natural flow of keyword counters in the games at all times because of the format this will also be a hard Day1 include

And I will test this

Ultimatums!

My cube has no issues running many/few/none/all multicolored cards because players only discover the cards they can play. It is a mini game in the tournament to switch colors throughout the tournament.

I already run Cruel. Will test three Ikoria Ultimatums although I doubt all three will survive for the long haul.

In the same tri-color vain I am going to replace the five Khans of Tarkir trilands with their respective upgrades from Ikoria.

I am going to miss the old art from Khans.

The rest

For the blue flash

For the prowess
spritedragon.jpg

Also Pyroceratops will replace my Pyre Hound from the basic decks that my players start the tournament with.

A total of 50 cards + infinite punch cards for keyword counters. Also I need three Pyroceraptops. One for each player.

Include

Luminous Broodmoth: In my environment, resilient threats are at a premium. It's good with or against a wrath and allows to double dip on sacrifice effects (like Anax, Hardened in the Forge and Nightmare Shepherd). The worst case scenario is a 3/4 flier for 4 which is fine(ish).

Verge Rangers: 3/3 first strike is ok on offense and defense and white is garbage at drawing cards. So getting (conditional) advantage seems good. Plus, I have more opponents than you guys, so more chances to meet the condition.

Shark Typhoon: Flash, uncounterable, flying, cantripping, scaling threat. Yes please! Oh and sometimes a spell matters payoff.
With all the cycling enchantments running around right now, I really want to explore a Jeskai shard with cycling, blink and enchantment/artifact recursion (Replenish,Open the Vaults and Hanna, Ship Navigator).

Mythos of Nethroi: Solid for 3 mana in a black deck, amazing in abzan or if you can manage to splash the extra colors. I've stopped putting removal in my multicolored sections, but this is still very good as a black card.

Yorion, Sky Nomad: I'm very fond of hybrids for cube so I'm probably overestimating this. However 4/5 for 5 flyer is decent and the Brago type blink is very sweet. All sorts of interactions can come up.

Fiend Artisan: Cheap sacrifice and GY payoff for Golgari and a hybrid? This is exactly what my BG section wanted.

Lutri, the Spellchaser: Probably too powerful even in multiplayer with companion. If that happens, then I'll sharpie out the companion text and test again.

Lurrus, of the Dream-Den: I'm not too worried about the companion for this one in my cube. It is however a great form of recursion for white and/or black decks with a solid body. Oh and hybrid!!

Test

Mythos of Illuna: I've been wanting to play Rite of Replication rather than a clone for the spell recursion effects in blue. However the kicker was too easy to achieve for too little effort. This one is more versatile and doesn't end the game on it's own. I'm not expecting the alternate casting cost to matter much.

Ethereal Forager: I like the effect, but I already have a bunch of "delve" cards I like more and having too many is an issue (Dig Through Time, Treasure Cruise, Tasigur, the Golden Fang, Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis, Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath and Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger).

Bastion of Remembrance: Zulaport Cutthroat on an enchantment. I like the card and the effect, but my cube doesn't interact well with enchantments so I try to limit them. I think I'd rather have the Cutthroat for interaction sake.

Rielle, the Everwise: This will probably take Lutri's spot as a spell matters card. It fits well with looters and all the red discard cards.

Bonder's Enclave: Card draw for red and white decks who otherwise lack these types of effects. Considering this card makes me realize I should probably run Arch of Orzaca and Throne of the High City as well.

The last two blog posts on The Black Cube has my potential additions. It came in two because cubecobra didn't have the triomes in yet.

I might do some cutting later, as it has bloated up over the past few sets and I haven't edited it down. If I do, just look for the post adding like 15 cards. I ignored mutate for now, but it's a maybe for the future.

I'm testing almost half of the mutate cards, but I do not know if all of them will stay. Since my Cube is very small I have a close ASFAN to how many mutate cards are in Ikoria so I'm testing that to see if it'll make a huge difference. I'm not going to list all of them, but I will put the ones I'm hopeful for and that people have not talked about yet.
dirgebatp.jpg
archipelagorep.jpg
chitteringharvesterp.jpg
huntmasterligerp.jpg
glowstonereclusep.jpg
cavernwhispererp.jpg
loredrakkisp.jpg
nethroiapexofdeathp.jpg

Obviously in their original art (unfortunately for most) for my drafters to get used to mutate
For more normal cards
voidbeckoner.jpg
bloodcurdle.jpg
goforblood1.jpg
titanrothrex.jpg
bastionofremembrance1.jpg

I'm also closely looking at
inspiredultimatump.jpg
mythosofbrokkosp.jpg
narsetoftheancientwayp.jpg
vadrokapexofthunderp.jpg
gavinestwarden.jpg
(and the other cycling cards that go with Gavi)
To see if they're good enough to make my colors switch because I have been unimpressed with my Esper section (because I don't run an artifact theme), but I also am unsure if I want to lose my Temur section.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
There's quite a few cards I want to test and/or include, both from Ikoria itself, and from the accompanying Commander 2020 set. More than I had expected, to be honest. Here's my thoughts on each of my potential includes (and some others), sorted by color. Buckle up, because it's a list!

Fight as One. I currently run Ajani's Presence as support for a tiny heroic package, spearheaded by Feather, the Redeemed. It's the only strive spell in my whole cube, and the ability is almost never used, so this seems like an easy upgrade.
Luminous Broodmoth. The Broodmoth looks like it combos really well with sac outlets, and I like that it doesn't invalidate its own ability by being an overstatted fatty, like Doom Whisperer, for example. That said, lately I've found that I easily pick up more 4 drops when drafting white decks than I can play. This suggests that I need to lower the mana curve in white/orzhov/boros. In addition, the card's price has exploded recently. For both of those reasons, while I will be testing this card, I'm slightly pessimistic about its chances.
Mythos of Snapdax. This was the first card that had me going: "Oh snap!" That said, after thinking it over a bit longer, it might not be the right choice to replace Tragic Arrogance. I'm very consciously pushing 5 cmc wraths in my environment, to follow up the 3 cmc mana rocks I run. Moving to a 4 cmc wrath, even though it signals Mardu really well, might not be what I want after all, despite how pumped I was when I first saw this.
Splendor Mare. I like the very solid base stats here, and the cycling ability looks pretty useful as well, if you have a larger threat up.
Stormwild Capridor. Yeah, okay, this warrants testing alright! A great and terrifying combo with both Pyrohemia and the two Wildfires in my cube, this is a great way to extend the theme to white.
Cartographer's Hawk. How playable this is will depend entirely on how easy it is to control its triggered ability. Stormfront Pegasus is a respectable pick in a white based aggro deck, and ramping your mana when you have nothing better to do than replay your Hawk is really powerful. Note that this doesn't search just basic Plains as well, it can actually fix your mana if you play nonbasic Plains! I am very curious how good this card actually is!
Verge Rangers. The other white ramp tool C2020 gave us. Again, this is a totally respectable body, as a 3/3 first strike for 3 can have quite an impact of the battlefield. Each trigger you get out of this is effectively drawing you a card, which means this has the potential for some great card advantage, as long as your opponent is ahead in mana.

Frostveil Ambush. Cycling for one mana makes expensive cards so much more palatable. In the late game, this can be a pretty nutty stall-breaker, tapping down their two largest threats for two turns, maybe giving you the opportunity to get in some (or enough) damage in the meantime. In the early game, where this is absolutely rubbish, this simply replaces itself for a negligible 1 mana!
Gust of Wind. Repeal, Blink of an Eye, and Repulse are all very playable bounce spells. While the requirement is not negligible, there are a fair number of flyers in my blue section, including some cheap ones. I think this warrants some testing, because when you do get the prerequisite online, it's a cantripping Boomerang!
Neutralize. 3 cmc Counterspells are a bit of a liability. Sometimes they can get stuck in your hand, when you'ld rather be deploying your board. This one is great because it can replace itself, which is probably better than the surveil 1 on Sinister Sabotage.
Ominous Sea. This is a neat build-around, and quite a potent combo with Sylvan Library.
Sea-Dasher Octopus. I think this competes with the ninja package, so there's a big chance I can't find the room for it, because I want to keep the ninjas, but I do like this as a way to greatly upgrade an evasive creature at instant speed.
Shark Typhoon. I cut the spell matters theme from blue completely after reshuffling the color wheel, as prowess is now a subtheme in RW, which can't reach U in the new wheel. While I absolutely love the cycling part of Sharknado, I fear it sends the wrong signal to blue drafters on the front side of the card.
Startling Development. With some ninjas running around in blue (and black), blue has a bigger focus on combat than most cubes. The problem with the blue combat tricks I tested before is that they can be pretty dead in hand when you can't (afford to) play them. Startling Development scoots around that problem by having a very handy and affordable cycling cost.
Voracious Greatshark. Well this is a 5 drop! Nice that it interacts with artifacts as well.
Ethereal Voyager. I don't think we need to talk about why this is cool, everybody here will get that ;)
Tidal Barracuda. This is basically a mini-Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir! It's a lot more splashable though, and a mana cheaper!

Bastion of Remembrance. Hey, a Zulaport Cutthroat that can be fetched by Zur the Enchanter! 3 mana is worse, but the fact that this is harder to interact with is nice.
Call of the Death-Dweller. I don't yet know how I feel about ability counters, but this one makes great use of the mechanic. That's a really nifty reanimation spell!
Grimdancer. And this is another card that makes great use of the mechanic.
Gloom Pangolin. This card is useless, but I love love love the art!
Memory Leak. Raise of hands. Who else thinks this would have been so, so sweet at {1}{B} and useless at {2}{B}?

Everquil Phoenix. This is the mutate card that I'm most excited about. For 4 mana you get a 4/4 hasty flyer, that returns to the battlefield for next to nothing, and at instant speed (i.e. the end of your opponent's turn), when your opponent deals with it. However, I don't feel like including just one mutate card, and it's a 4 drop, so this might very well not get into my cube, despite being a cool design.
Flame Spill. I do like Super-Duper Death Ray, but this card is black-bordered and has a cleaner template.
Forbidden Friendship. The best Dragon Fodder ever! Might be good enough to see play, actually, though I'ld like to see them push this effect even more.
Heightened Reflexes. This is a great combat trick. For 1 mana, you probably save one of your own creatures, and kill one of your opponent's, and you improved your own creature by a lot for the future. First strike is an awesome ability to permanently grant to a creature.
Pyroceratops. This is it. Confirmation that Wizards knows about my cube! Think about it. Is there any other cube out there interested in dinosaur tribal, elemental tribal, noncreature spells matters, and 4 drops that can survive Wildfire? You can't remember any? I thought so! :) I've ran Pyre Hound in the past, and it was adequate, but triggering on any noncreature spell and having an additional relevant tribe puts this over the edge, I think. It's a 4 drop though, so I'm going to think long and hard about what to cut, but it seems just wrong to not play this!
Weaponize the Monsters. I'm currently on Makeshift Munitions, and while this has a higher activation cost, and is less flexible in what you can chuck at your opponent's face, creatures and planeswalkers, 2 damage is a lot more than 1 damage, and it has a lower cost up front, so it's easier to sneak it into play.
Yidaro, Wandering Monster. A massive dinosaur that cycles, but eventally comes back when you do. I think this is a great ramp target, as an 8/8 hasty trampler definitely has an impact on the board, and it isn't dead in hand, in fact even helps you, while you're not there yet and digging for early game resources. Normally getting shuffled back when hitting the graveyard is annoying for reanimation decks, but black isn't allied to red in my cube, so that's not even much of a problem. Lovely design!
Fireflux Squad. Another 4 drop, and much less on theme than Pyroceratops, but this is a spicy trigger with all of the token generators in my cube. Probably a bit too unpredictable though. Also a 4 drop, which is problematic.

Excavation Mole. Solid baseline as a 3/3 trampler for 3, with an ability that is occasionally very valuable. I wish this was an elemental or dinosaur though, instead of a mole.
Wilt. Naturalize with cycling is pretty solid, but I think I'ld rather have other upsides.
Cazur, Ruthless Stalker. I used to cube Predatory Curse long ago, and it was waaay too strong. I tested Curse of Stalked Prey as a replacement, but that was still too snowbally half the time. Eventually I gave up on the effect, and now they print this. It's higher up on the curve, which is a pro in my book, and it comes on a creature, so it's easier to interact with. That said, this is a very powerful effect, and it has a partner with ability that can actually be relevant in my cube! It's probably the only green card in these two sets that I'm actually interested in. Curious!

Genesis Ultimatum. I currently run Guided Passage. A remnant of older days, there's simply not that many Temur cards that excite me. This Ultimatum, however, reads as a very nice ramp reward. Draw 5, play any number of permanents in those 5, can make for some pretty powerful swing turns.
Ruinous Ultimatum. Oof. That might be a bit too harsh, and seven mana is sooo much in non-ramp colors. That said, this would be pretty awesome in a Mardu control deck. Will have to test.
Kalamax, the Stormsire. Hey, another elemental dinosaur! Cute! I love this design, and I very much look forward to trying this out!
Ukima, Stalking Shadow. Here's Cazur's counterpart, and it actually has some relevant synergy with my cube! Ninja's are a thing, and this might be one of the best targets to return to your hand!

Lurrus of the Dream-Den / Gyruda, Doom of Depths / Keruga, the Macrosage / Jegantha, the Wellspring / Zirda, the Dawnwaker. The companions were likely a mistake from a constructed point of view, and they might be too strong for cube. They are, however, interesting in that they really change how you draft. For that reason alone, I want to at least test these five.

Springjaw Trap. This might be an interesting sidegrade to Scalding Cauldron. 4 mana is a lot more than 3 (for the activation cost), but this has two advantages over the Cauldron. First, this deals damage to any target, instead of only to creatures. Second, this has flash, which actually can make for some nice instant speed historic triggers!
Bonder's Ornament. As you might know by now, I love 3 cmc mana rocks in my environment. This one looks to be a worthy addition. It's great in slower, controlly decks, where it both gets your wrath online a turn early, and finds additional gas in the late game.

Esper Triome / Zagoth Triome / Ketria Triome / Naya Triome / Savai Triome. I've written about these on the forum, and I'm still undecided. Testing will need to reveal how much more likely 5 color good stuff decks are to spring up when I replace ye olde trilands with these new ones (including two customs). I run fetches in my environment, so these are miles better than the originals, but should fetches really be able to get three colors? Testing, testing, testing. It's the only thing that can answer this. Well, and simply including them and seeing what happens, I guess, but I prefer testing :)

Cards I definitely want to try:
extinctionevent.jpg
fightasone.jpg
callofthedeathdweller.jpg
blitzofthethunderraptor.jpg
flamespill.jpg
chargeoftheforeverbeast.jpg
excavationmole.jpg
fireprophecy1.jpg
forbiddenfriendship.jpg
ramthrough.jpg
generalkudroofdrannith1.jpg
rielletheeverwise.jpg
spritedragon.jpg
savaithundermane1.jpg
backformore.jpg
channeledforce.jpg
diretactics1.jpg

Multicoloured Signposts! Humans, Selfdiscard, Reanimator, Spells Matter all get a boost. Lots of the removal might be exactly the powerlevel I need. At first glance, this set seems great for me!

Cards that might be too good but are interesting:
mythosofvadrok1.jpg
koglathetitanape1.jpg
swallowwhole.jpg

5dmg divided for 4 mana looks interesting, but maybe a bit strong witch UW freeze attached to it. To a certain degree, I dislike how 'inelegant' it is.
Kogla would have been exactly what I want if it only had its first ability. Like this, it's a pretty strong card, certainly too strong for my environment.
Swallow Whole demands a creature, but it exiles and also gives a counter. If I consider Bone Splinters to be too weak, this might find its way into the list.

Possible swap-ins for power reasons:
mythosofsnapdax.jpg
boonofthewishgiver.jpg
clashoftitans1.jpg
facetreader.jpg
lurkingdeadeye.jpg
pricklymarmoset.jpg
serratedscorpion.jpg
snaretactician1.jpg
survivorsbond.jpg
spelleaterwolverine.jpg
chevillbaneofmonsters2.jpg
rootingmoloch1.jpg
valiantrescuer1.jpg
easyprey1.jpg
flourishingfox.jpg
yidarowanderingmonster1.jpg

Lots of Cycling cards. Most of the cards seem a bit weak, so I don't think many of them will end up in the final version.

If I reconsider enchantments:
bastionofremembrance1.jpg
ominousseas1.jpg
weaponizethemonsters1.jpg
primalempathy1.jpg

I still dislike the uninteractivity enchantments naturally bring with them, but I already considered Skirsdag Cultist and Chittering Witch, and don't like them both for different reasons, so Weaponize looks really tempting to me. Ominous Seas is another good payoff for Selfdiscard that I really like how it might play.

Cards I would normally consider, but dislike the counters:
grimdancer1.jpg
bloodcurdle.jpg
avianoddity.jpg
splendormare.html
splendormare1.jpg
voidbeckoner.jpg
titanrothrex.html
titanrothrex.jpg

If keyword counters would get evergreens, I'd strongly consider them all. Beckoner is a strong cantripping, uncounterable combat trick while putting a reanimator target to the grave, Titanoth Rex is an evasive target that also puts itself to the yard, Oddity and Mare are reasonable 3/4 drops that can also function as cantrips granting strong keywords. Grimdancer is pretty interesting as it's very flexible. Blood Curdle is cool removal on the right powerlevel for me.

Commander20
brallinskysharkrider1.jpg
cazurruthlessstalker.jpg
vergerangers.jpg
surlybadgersaur1.jpg
spellpyerphoenix1.jpg
selectiveadaptation.jpg
speciesspecialist.jpg
boneyardmycodrax.jpg
glademuse1.jpg
etherealforager.jpg
fronteirwarmonger.jpg

Lots of cards I find VERY interesting, but the powerlevel is quite high.