Sets (STX) Strixhaven Testing/Includes Thread

Yes, it is like a Sulfuric Vortex except it doesn't deal damage to you but instead it heals you for 2 each turn.
It has requirements which makes it more interesting than Vortex if you ask me.
Downside is that it's very brutal on the graveyard.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
In my experience Klothys barely has any requirements. In low-CMC cubes graveyards are full of near infinite fodder for it.

Reactions: dbs
Haven't tried it in cube, but I've jammed it a bunch in EDH over the last year and a half. Card is just dumb. It's a better Sulfuric Vortex being less interact-able, it lets you passively buff your life total while shocking the opponent, can ramp you by one, AND will occasionally turn into a 4/5 Indestructible beater. It's trivially easy to end up with fodder to feed it for a positive effect, there's like zero downside. Most of this crosses over to Cube as well, albeit less fodder to work with in 1v1. It doesn't ask much of you deckbuilding wise; it's just a strong and powerful card at {1}{R}{G}.

There's no doubting that it's a powerful card, I just don't want to use up a slot on something that generic.

Has anyone tested this guy in cube?

I've really liked it as a spells payoff in STX limited, and it doesn't really require a lot from the drafter. But it's just a 3/4 for five.

landofMordor

Administrator
Has anyone tested this guy in cube?

I've really liked it as a spells payoff in STX limited, and it doesn't really require a lot from the drafter. But it's just a 3/4 for five.

The 3/4 for 5 is really, really rough for me. Gets stonewalled by things as mediocre as Charging Monstrosaur or Curator of Mysteries. Or gang-blocked by 2 zombie tokens. Some randomized card advantage isn't worth jumping through the hoops, at least for my environments.

i went ahead and grabbed Rip Apart, Decisive Denial, Witherbloom Command, Expressive Iteration, Dragonsguard Elite, and Sedgemoor Witch to test out. i don’t feel like i need to worry too much about any of them earning their spots.
Lash of Malice is going in for Darkblast if i don’t see people maindecking Darkblast at cube night later this month.
Quandrix Apprentice is also on the waitlist for now as i am VERY happy with Edric so far in Simic, but we shall see how things go in playtesting. might replace either Edric or Denial depending on player feedback.

Yeah, at 5 Dustspeaker is really slow. I'd probably gave it a run if it was mv4, even as a 2/4 then.

Another one I'm thinking about now is this innocent looking spell:

It's so easy to get a 6/6 out of it, and in my cube it will probably be even easier/bigger. I mean, it doesn't do anything else than be a big dumb beater to finish the game for spell/control decks, but it's cheap enough, that one could back it up with a counterspell in hand. And as a spell, it is possible for blue to recur it.

Do you think the addition of the Magecraft card can impact Darkblast's playability? Seems perfect as a reliable way to trigger the ability repeatedly.
I think magecraft only impacts Darkblast's playability if you have an abundance of X/1s that it can kill. A crummy removal spell is still a crummy removal spell even if it triggers Quandrix Apprentice.

I'm tempted to break out my copy of Crow Storm with all these Magecraft cards
giphy.gif

Do you think the addition of the Magecraft card can impact Darkblast's playability? Seems perfect as a reliable way to trigger the ability repeatedly.
absolutely i do and that’s why it is staying in for now. i run a lot of X/1 creatures too. and, yknow, you can cast it in response to your own draw step, then dredge it back, to kill an X/2. but idk if anyone else is going to give a crap about it haha

absolutely i do and that’s why it is staying in for now. i run a lot of X/1 creatures too. and, yknow, you can cast it in response to your own draw step, then dredge it back, to kill an X/2. but idk if anyone else is going to give a crap about it haha
Are you ever gonna go back to all Wilds?

You can kill a X/2 but you cannot do it ‘in response to your own draw step.’

You can however cast it in your upkeep, then dredge it to your hand and cast it again later that turn.

There is a step to ‘respond’ in draw step but that is after drawing a card and not before. That is what upkeep step is for.

Nice! I looked at your list a week ago and it had like 600 lands of all sorts. I'm kind of considering a Sharpie on the Snow Duals lol.

I just wanted to say that I'm liking the set's design a lot. It does a lot of things right, even if it has some flaws:

- It's a multicolour set that feels very different from others.
- It focuses on just 5 guilds that can be stretched from aggro to control
- Cards feel fun and powerful. However, the average non-spell creature is a 2/2.
- The format is slow, but doing stuff early is important.
- You never run out of stuff to do thanks to Learn and other inherent card advantage. However, you can't just jam cards to victory.
- The format is inherently synergetic. All good decks have some kind of synergy in them.

I don't know, I think it's very well-made. It makes me think about how I can translate these lessons to cube.