General Fight Club

Deprive has some cute uses, but something else is going to be much more consistent. Would have been a cool Zendikar design at 1UU with "may" on there.

I'm back with this one again ...

Assuming you're playing a draw-go-ish, blue based control deck, do you like it more or less than a Cancel-variant with minor upside like this one?

And if you do like Spell Snuff more, would something like a single Umara Wizard be enough to change that?
I prefer the cancel as I think the drawback to deprive is too severe for what it offers, but I'm not especially stoked about either.

if your deck tops out at 3 mana, and you return your third or fourth land to hand with Deprive, and then just replay that land and continue casting 1-3 MV spells, what did you lose? i wouldn’t run Deprive in an environment where getting to 5 mana was necessary, but in an environment with a low overall curve, the drawback is severely diminished, and if you add synergistic effects to that environment (ETB effect lands, dual faced lands etc etc), it starts looking better and better.

if your deck tops out at 3 mana, and you return your third or fourth land to hand with Deprive, and then just replay that land and continue casting 1-3 MV spells, what did you lose? i wouldn’t run Deprive in an environment where getting to 5 mana was necessary, but in an environment with a low overall curve, the drawback is severely diminished, and if you add synergistic effects to that environment (ETB effect lands, dual faced lands etc etc), it starts looking better and better.

Jokes aside, which cube would you draft from to build a blue deck where you curve out at 3 mana value?

Jokes aside, which cube would you draft from to build a blue deck where you curve out at 3 mana value?
Something similar to my cube tbh, I’ve def had URx decks cap at 3

fwiw I do think even in super low curving environments boomeranging your own land is still a sever drawback as that can strongly impede your ability to double spell with your more expensive cards. Just because I can play everything off 3 mana sources doesn’t mean I don’t still want to be making some land drops past that point so I can take lines like playing Monastery Mentor with another spell or whatever.

But even in those decks, you might want to double spell, right? It probably still doesn't matter most of the time with your 5th or 6th land, but I guess I would prefer a counterspell that can interact early with my opponents threats. I think I'll go with Syncopate, it's not quite Condescend, but the exile can sometimes be just as sweet as the scry.

I won't let this thread go down. Which of these lifegain-payoff-3-drops do you like more?

I think the bat has a better floor, as deathtouch (and splashability) ranks a little higher for me than three toughness. But of course the permanent buff is a higher ceiling, and it is kinda huge that it works with lifelink.

Bloodthirsty Aerialist, no question.

I don't think anyone is going to be happy running Malakir Familiar if they are not in the archetype and it's a blah support card for it. I would rather run Aerialist which is good and accept the parasitism.

If you're looking to establish the archetype, Aerialist is the clear winner here, as it's a threat. The bat is fine if you're looking to flesh out the archetype and have a surplus of slots, as it is flexible enough to be both a threat and an answer simultaneously, but it's definitely a reward, not a reason.

I have a multiplayer cube, pretty high powered, but lacking a lot of the battlecruiser cards (that you would want to reanimate).

I am looking for a value reanimation spell for this slot and have these two in mind (I already have Dread Return and Living Death).

Technique is cool because you get mill+reanimation in one card and I like the spell and copy of the Technique for random Magecraft, but giving an opponent something is a real cost.

Liliana is always at least a 5 mana reanimation spell and sometimes more, but I am not a huge fan of the +1 token spam.

Without personal experience with either, I prefer technique on paper. It’s clean and interesting. Demonstrate is a may ability so if it doesn’t make sense to copy it, you don’t have to. It’s nice to be able to play politics if you want. I like that it’s splashable too...although that is probably less of a concern in multiplayer.

Last edited:

I have a multiplayer cube, pretty high powered, but lacking a lot of the battlecruiser cards (that you would want to reanimate).

I am looking for a value reanimation spell for this slot and have these two in mind (I already have Dread Return and Living Death).

Technique is cool because you get mill+reanimation in one card and I like the spell and copy of the Technique for random Magecraft, but giving an opponent something is a real cost.

Liliana is always at least a 5 mana reanimation spell and sometimes more, but I am not a huge fan of the +1 token spam.
I'd go with Technique. More fun in a multiplayer setting where you have to weigh the risk/reward and most walkers kind of just suck if you can't protect them. This Liliana pretty much exists to be a one shot reanimation spell rather than a 5 mana zombie token factory most of the time.

Image.ashx
I cut Whip long ago. I'm pretty sure it's unplayable in Funch's cubes, but in my cube it was not fun to go up against.
Perfect for my Cube though:

Classic card that saw play during Theros-Khans? Check.
Engine for a Synergy Deck? Check.
Powerful but easily beatable? Check.
Fun combo with Apex Altisaur? Check.

I understand people's reservations about team wide lifelink, and it can definitely be good in the correct circumstances. However, if your Cube isn't too slow, I think this card is really neat.