The Video Game Thread

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I'm the total opposite. I tried Monster Train because it came out on Game Pass. I have it 4 good runs, but it always just stressed me out. Winning in that game never made me feel good, just... tired?

I have, love it, DLC is coming out soon!
I actually prefer it to STS, but that might be just because I actually GOT Monster train, whereas slay baffles me to this day
My record is ascension 3, but I've near enough 100%'d monster train

It is out if you wish to join the ‘Public Test Train’ which is BETA testers. Slay the Spire is old compared to Monster Train and Monster Train wouldn’t exist without Slay :) I like both games but I have 600 hours in Slay the Spire because I keep going back to it and only 200 in Monster Train because I only want to play it after each release (OG release, the first DLC release and now the second DLC release.)

What do you like most about Monster Train? What’s your favorite feature or part of the game?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
My favorite part of your username is Ton. No wait.. It’s ass

:p

As, Velrun. Behave :p

There's a lot I enjoy. Being able to plan out future turns without frozen eye (A relic which will ruin your life if you let it), the consistency of always drawing banner units lets you always have a consistent baseline level of setup, whereas in STS sometimes you just get all block hands on their down turns and all attack hands vs Hyper Beam. I like the ability to build multicolor decks (Both hearthstone and STS technically have the ability to play off color cards, but not actual GW)

Also the asthetic just hit better for me. The damn imps are so cute!

I couldn't agree more. Although you can actually play Slay the Spire being 4-color (all classes). You can either spend 160 ish gold on the Shop Relic that unlocks other colors of cards for that run or you can start a custom non-official run with almost any rule applied.

Have you tried the expansion? I haven't yet

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Wait, what lets you plan future turns in Monster Train? Did I miss something? Or is it more that you see the enemies coming and can set up your defense accordingly?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Wait, what lets you plan future turns in Monster Train? Did I miss something? Or is it more that you see the enemies coming and can set up your defense accordingly?

Basically the latter. You can know what monsters are going to do in future turns in STS, but only by memorizing it on a monster by monster basis
If you set up on the top floor, monster train just shows you what combat is going to look like next turn

Ehm I don't know if I misunderstood, but if I did not, here comes: In Monster Train you also know what enemies step onto the train on each turn (and therefore on each future turn as well) if you have played that combat before and have good memory/paper and pen.

I don't know if anyone will care, but I just had a hilarious run as The Silent in Slay The Spire. I had picked up Caltrops, three Backflips, and two Blurs. And, well...

0Ts9MzR.png

EDIT: And I just got my first real win with The Ironclad since beta. I'm just kinda shit at playing aggressively.

AzfWZ7G.png

Favorite boss? Nah, the game just decides to give me the Time Devourer 90% of the time I get that far (I'm not terrible good at spire slaying).

Does anyone have advice on how to play The Watcher? My runs tend to fall apart spectacularly once I reach The City. I just don't know which cards to pick.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Favorite boss? Nah, the game just decides to give me the Time Devourer 90% of the time I get that far (I'm not terrible good at spire slaying).

Does anyone have advice on how to play The Watcher? My runs tend to fall apart spectacularly once I reach The City. I just don't know which cards to pick.

Watcher's most accessible strong thing is stance switching between calm and wrath. Usually I would avoid mantra stuff until act 3 unless you have something that makes it good.

If you post a picture of your deck at the end of Act 1 I can give more concrete advice.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I've been having fun with the Super Mario Maker 2 level builder this week. I created two devious levels; P2F-LQT-3XG and KV2-VXP-J4G, if anyone's interested ;)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
More serious answer, from what I've seen, good Mario Maker levels (at least, the ones I care about. So, platforming levels that aren't troll-fests, puzzles, auto scrollers, enemy spam, etc.) have a core mechanical identity. There is some concept that makes it identifiable (maybe that could be different plays on mini-tornadoes). This concept is introduced to the player immediately (as-fan), and then the depth of the concept is explored as the player progresses through the level (format).

You can have well-made levels that jam a ton of different mechanical focuses into them, but these are generally aimed towards the enfranchised player (e.g., Time Spiral Remastered, Modern Horizons). If you want to explore new mechanical space, often it is better to start a new level (cube), rather than shoehorn it awkwardly into your existing design.

I feel like both benefit from a clear vision and thoughtfulness regarding the player experience.

That's just good game design in general, though — this is a Cube forum, so of course we're going to be talking about stuff in Cube terms.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
First time I've been able to kill the Heart with Time Walk. Act 1 Black Star did some work this run. (But mostly it was Floor 0 Lesson Learned).
ySzdWCE.png