General (CLB) Magic: The Gathering: Commander Legends: Dungeons and Dragons: Battle for Baldur's Gate Previews. Even the NAME is long this time!

It's odd, because there's also Jon Irenicus, Shattered One from this set which is EXACTLY how I'd love to see commander-specific cards designed, and the first one to make me want to play the format in a long while. Several different avenues to take with how you build it, and makes you plumb scryfall for specific card interactions and stuff you wouldn't otherwise use.

Are you giving things away with negative effects, giving away hard-to-block creatures for a consistent draw engine, playing politically and giving away things that have already ETB'd for you, etc.

It's odd, because there's also Jon Irenicus, Shattered One from this set which is EXACTLY how I'd love to see commander-specific cards designed, and the first one to make me want to play the format in a long while. Several different avenues to take with how you build it, and makes you plumb scryfall for specific card interactions and stuff you wouldn't otherwise use.

Are you giving things away with negative effects, giving away hard-to-block creatures for a consistent draw engine, playing politically and giving away things that have already ETB'd for you, etc.
can he give away demonic pact? probably somehow he can right?

Alaundo seems like an interesting fellow, especially if you have an "untap creatures a bunch of times" archetype in your cube.

raggadraggagoregutsboss.jpg
ninefingerskeene.jpg

I'll be honest with you all — I hate this style of card. I don't like the feeling that WotC is building my deck for me, ya know?
Well my starter set runs a Gate theme so I wouldn't mind putting Nine-Fingers Keene into my cube on a higher tier to continue the deck theme a bit throughout the tournament.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
1653089588166.png
Oghma's Archivist 1W
Creature - Halfling Cleric
Flash
Whenever an opponent searches their own library, you gain 1 life and draw a card.
2/2

1653089714443.png
Gut, True Soul Zealot 2R
Legendary Creature - Goblin Shaman
Whenever you attack, you may sacrifice another creature or an artifact. If you do, create a 4/1 black Skeleton creature token with menace that's tapped and attacking.

Choose a Background
Illus. Wayne Reynolds 2/2

Jesus o.O

1653089756995.png
Blood Money 5BB
Sorcery
Destroy all creatures. For each nontoken creature destroyed this way, create a tapped Treasure token.

@LadyMapi I gotchu ;)
1653089798198.png
Jaheira, Friend of the Forest 2G
Legendary Creature - Human Elf Druid
Tokens you control have "T, add G"
Choose a Background
2/3
Notably not creature tokens!

1653089853199.png
Mirror of Life Trapping 4
Artifact
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, if it was cast, exile it then return all other permanent cards exiled with Mirror of Life Trapping to the battlefield under their owner's control.

Okay so blink, narrow enabler, what else is making panharmonicon feel a disturbance in the force?
Well, this does also disrupt your opponents. Maybe that's enough?
1653089971824.png
Descent into Avernus 2R
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, put two Descent counters on. Then, each player makes X treasure tokens and deals X damage to each player, where X is the number of descent counters on Descent into Avernus.
This has big "Time to fuck a blender" energy
1653089998269.png

raggadraggagoregutsboss.jpg
ninefingerskeene.jpg

I'll be honest with you all — I hate this style of card. I don't like the feeling that WotC is building my deck for me, ya know?
Unfortunately, there aren't a ton of ways to do (--Card Type Matters--) commanders without making the deck feel like it builds itself. Otherwise, you get stuff like Chulane, Teller of Tales, which are supposed to make a specific type of deck strong (in Chulane's case Adventures) but instead end up being generically powerful, which causes many Commander players to get upset. Luckily, for every hyper-specific Commander, there's a weirdo card for people who want to try and build something completely off the wall! Pic unrelated... :)
gluntchthebestower.jpg

This has big "Time to fuck a blender" energy
2y2ltn.png

(Totally true though)

"Wow, this is a nice card."
CHOOSE A BACKGROUND
"Uggh... I dunno..."
Not loving all the bullshit extra text this set. Really hard to wade through all the multiplayer crap.
Well my starter set runs a Gate theme so I wouldn't mind putting Nine-Fingers Keene into my cube on a higher tier to continue the deck theme a bit throughout the tournament.
I've always thought a tribal theme within the mana base was kind of cool. Gives a subtheme to the draft without being poisonous. Would you agree with that?

"Wow, this is a nice card."
CHOOSE A BACKGROUND
"Uggh... I dunno..."
Not loving all the bullshit extra text this set. Really hard to wade through all the multiplayer crap.

I've always thought a tribal theme within the mana base was kind of cool. Gives a subtheme to the draft without being poisonous. Would you agree with that?
Absolutely I do!

What I like to do is run Gates + another cycle (or two other cycles) of better fixing lands.

In this way the players will have to make a choice during drafting if they want the subpar Gates that have some synergy cards in the draft or the superior fixing lands that are just fixing.

Absolutely I do!

What I like to do is run Gates + another cycle (or two other cycles) of better fixing lands.

In this way the players will have to make a choice during drafting if they want the subpar Gates that have some synergy cards in the draft or the superior fixing lands that are just fixing.
This is what I was thinking. Probably add some of the green gate payoffs, as they're pretty sweet. Is the Colossus as sweet as it looks?

This is what I was thinking. Probably add some of the green gate payoffs, as they're pretty sweet. Is the Colossus as sweet as it looks?
It depends. If the Gates are split between the players, then it's useless. If a single player picked six Gates, then it's fire. Kind of the same logic as any other card that rely on synergy.

Also, there are way more than 10 Gates available.

Return to Ravnica gave us the original Gates
Guilds of Ravnica gave us the 11'th Gate
Battle for Baldur's Gate will soon give us this Gate, this Gate and this cycle of five Gates

The /c links partially don't work right now so here are some direct links:
https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=type:gate
http://mythicspoiler.com/clb/cards/citadelgate.html

Horn-of-Valhalla-CLB-672.jpg

Horn of Valhalla seems pretty good. Finale of Glory has been going in and out of my list, and while the 2/2s from that are literally double those made from the adventure side here, I'm not embarrassed by the equipment, which can escape some of the win-more feeling that "for each creature you control" effects often have by the fact that it gives you an army in a can itself.

I still prefer Secure the Wastes as my ideal version of this effect for its simplicity and power (being an instant is a huge bonus), but this may be close to Grand Crescendo, which I've been eyeing. The Crescendo doubles as a combat trick, but almost to the point where that's its primary value. I doubt I'd be making more than 2 dudes in most circumstances I'm using that card, which is typically not how I like my Secure the Wastes decks to go. That said, I like Secure the Wastes in my control decks as well as my go-wide decks, and this feels like it'll only fall into the latter of the two, so it's probably going to get stuck with Finale of Glory just on the outside looking in, but it's a neat card worth taking a look at.

Horn of Valere Valhalla looks pretty sweet if you have a fusion of token and equipment themes. If the adventure was something like an unearth I'd add it in a heartbeat. Unearth effect feels a bit more Valhalla-y to me too

After Zombifiker, Horn of Valhalla is the second definite incude for me. That's great already for a weird commander set with backgrounds and stuff.

But isn't this straight up northern mythology? I mean, real world mythology? Why is it in a D&D set?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
White is getting a lot of neat lower-rarity cards this set!

crystaldragon.jpg

Legendary-matters is something I try to support in white, so this is an exciting Regrowth effect in a color that doesn't get too many. Drawing a walker in a self-mill or GY-heavy deck is a more than reasonable result for a two MV sorcery, and the dragon on the front side is gravy. Going to definitely make room for this.

Crystal Dragon does seem to be the best one in the cycle so far. Compare:

amethystdragon.jpg
emeralddragon.jpg

I am amused at how many people are complaining about Emerald Dragon, though.