Sets [KTK] Khans of Tarkir Spoilers

CML

Contributor
its one of those goddamn mechanics that is too good for limited and too bad for constructed. sometimes these have made for good cube mechanics but it's just too slow for my environment and i imagine most everyone else's.

Herald of Anafenza is great in a lower powered environment. As is First Strike lord, Trample lord, & flying lord. I don't run the flying lord, though. Wish there was a vigilance lord. Or even a decent black lord.

As for other mechanics, there's at least two or three good cards representing each mechanic. I'd say its been more than satisfying thus far.

Given that you wake up one magical christmas morning with a house full of sharpies, how would you change the casting cost and outlast cost? Like, is it that they just put them too high? I feel like it's in the same boat as bestow. I loved bestow, kicker is a good mechanic, but most of our formats don't care about those kinds of buffs to a durdly dude at turn 6-7 so the 5cc bestow guys that were made for constructed are perfect if you want to run bestow in a cube, but that equivalent doesn't seem to be exist for outlast.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
The flying outlast guy is really good if you have any kind of +1/+1 counter support.

Disowned Ancestor is surprising useful.

I'm pretty sure Herald of Anafenza is going to be a complete bust, so far no one has touched it. 3 mana is a lot of mana. The rest probably need a sharpy to be relevant. I'd run the trample guy if he was 3/3. I'd maybe run the lifelink guy if he cost 2W. I'm running the First Strike guy at 1 mana, but I upped his outlast to the point its probably irrelevant or else that would be too pushed (and its already really pushed compared to the elite vanguards of the world).

So? How're the cards playing out for people?

Pretty much everything I tested is fine. As the guy with the handicapped cube (is that offensive?) I was very sad to cut the couple morph cards for confusing players- they're neat and good but the mechanic is too complex for the casual player to keep a grip on, it seems. When KTK was being spoiled I explained it to some friends, then the same friends at the prerelease, and just last week to the same friends again. "Face down card = 2/2 colorless creature" does not override their kitchen table habits ("how big is that token?" / "Is that card exiled?") so I had to drop them.

Card I figured was fine but is much better than I gave it credit for: Seeker of the Way
Card whose original concept I liked and didn't expect to see play but has actually been pretty nice: Tormenting Voice
360 powered auto-include tier: murderous cut
Eye-rollingly boring card that is just good: Wingmate Roc
Card that gets mis-played the most in all formats and thus is fun: Dig through time
Card I haven't actually acquired yet: Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker

9/10 pensively waiting for them to trainwreck this block somehow.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Dig Trough Time is super scary. The guy playing it went 1-2, so I guess I shouldn't cut it yet, but every time time my opponent cast it this weekend I was trembling. Digging seven deep for two mana at instant speed is just unreal. I mean, Divination is a decent limited card, and that's worse on so many levels it hurts.

BvAMtWMCAAAWhYo.jpg
Digging this new Raid mechanic. I need cards like this for my Battle Box!
Seems like a good White Aggro enabler.
5 mana seems like a lot for this, but I could see it being good in low power. Definitely good with some of the tempo cards you listed.

This seems like a really interesting enabler for Graveyard decks. I want to play this with Whip of Erebos, Commune with the Gods, Thought Scour, and Mental Note.
This card seems wacky, it turns all of your creatures into mini Goblin Rabblemasters. Might be worth a test.

Cool card:
anafenzatheforemost.jpg
I like this, but I would like it more if it cost a little more and had a little extra toughness.

In today's edition of "cards that make Baneslayer Angel look bad..."

Seriously, it's 2014. Why are so many people intent on playing a French Vanilla creature? We've had Mulldrifters for like 7 years now.

I would not be surprised if this sees play. We would need some good 4 power idiots though...

cratersclaws.jpg

its probably not good, but I love the text "X + 2" on a blaze
I like this, yeah. It can also be Pillar of Flame with a creature with power 4 or greater i

Clear upgrade to Lightning Angel. Seems like a good way to push Human Tribal and get people to play tempo WUR Jeskai in the same package. I wouldn't be surprised if we're still talking about this in a few years.

Watch them print a 4/5 that keeps this from ever seeing play.

635455090245448701.png

Self-mill people: does this card do anything for you?
I think this is a commander card. It feels weird saying that. I hope the Commander fad fades in the future so we can get back to playing Canadian Highlander.
Oh hey I think this card works pretty well with Heir of the Wilds from earlier. Maybe we'll see Golgari//Junk aggro in this standard format? Thoughtseize is the real deal.

Wow this is not terrible!
murderouscut.jpg
This seems good yeah. I bet I will be playing this with Sidisi well into the future.
Wow. This is such a good card. I want this. I'll take 7. Please. Give Me.
Siege Rhino is the coolest card I've seen in this set.
This is the coolest thing I've seen since they added Horses to Minecraft last summer.

jeskaiascendancy3.jpg

This is really cool if real.
Combo deck enabler. I wonder if this could be a Cube card...

Oh this is hot. Is this a Green Delver of Secrets? I want to Cube with this.

monasteryswiftspear.jpg

Red gets a hasty 1/2 for {R} with potential to grow? Not bad.
Oh this is also hot! It supports Artifact Aggro and Enchantress in addition to Burn//Spellslinger, since Prowess triggers off of any noncreature spells.

Agreed, same notes as Swiftspear above.

God were these cards mentioned anywhere above? These seem incredibly broken. I definitely want to play with DTT. If more cards like that get printed, we're gonna have to start cutting Deep Analysis and FoF! I can't imagine what that world would look like...

Treasure Cruise seems a little less good, but I think it's still exceptional in self-mill and spellslinger, especially in Fetchland environments.

Wow, this set seems great! Especially after the somewhat underwhelming Theros Block and M15 core set. Hopefully Dewey and Louie are this good!!