Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Is this too much for a low power enviroment?

I love cards with choices, the aesthetic is super good and I just really like it overall, but seems a bit too strong maybe.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Is this too much for a low power enviroment?

I love cards with choices, the aesthetic is super good and I just really like it overall, but seems a bit too strong maybe.
It depends on the nature of the low power environment. I have a low power environment, but fast decks exist, so the high mv plays have to be impactful to turn back the tide. What impact does a 7 drop in your environment need to have to make an impact on the game? If games easily last beyond turn 8, and you're expected to cast the Titan in every game, then it needs to be compared to the other options at its mana value in the cube. If making it to turn 8 isn't guaranteed, and you might already be at a low life total by that time, your ramp decks will probably appreciate a tool to claw their way back into the game. I think in this regard, the Titan plays similarly to Pelakka Wurm. Both are strong for the cost but not broken, but if aggro and midrange are well-supported, strong for the cost but not broke. is exactly what you are looking for in a seven drop. They will only be overpowering in your environment if it's trivial to hold out against aggro and midrange deck until you get to seven mana.

Can’t disagree with Onde above.

My question to you, @kryss , is how do you plan to make Titan of Industry available to your players? Regular land drops seven times. Reanimator. Ramp. Cheating onto the battlefield.

Personally I am trying out with a low-powered reanimator using mostly Blood tokens. For me this is too strong of a 7 drop. But for you it might be very fine if you go through Onde’s process.

Can’t disagree with Onde above.

My question to you, @kryss , is how do you plan to make Titan of Industry available to your players? Regular land drops seven times. Reanimator. Ramp. Cheating onto the battlefield.

Personally I am trying out with a low-powered reanimator using mostly Blood tokens. For me this is too strong of a 7 drop. But for you it might be very fine if you go through Onde’s process.
The only cheating I run is a pretty small reanimator package (Dread Return, Profane Command, Nullpriest of Oblivion and Body Double without any Entomb-type effect) so it would be mainly a ramp target.

Is Dark Petition a real card or just Demonic Tutor for storm decks?

Real. I dislike cheap unconditional tutors since they lead to repetitive games. However, jumping through hoops for it is okay. It could find you an out and be able to cast it at once as opposed to diabolic. Demonic is too strong/boring

I'm in the opposite lane although I respect the 'they lead to repetitive games' because that's a very real argument.

For me the tutors are important if my players are trying to construct decks with a focus. If they are doing a combo or a theme where they have some key pieces, then I want my tutors to be strong and efficient so the players can find those important pieces.

I get that they can also be general good stuff but I see that as more of an issue with the rest of the cards and not with the actual tutor.

Tutors create repetitive games. But it is good to give the players the opportunity to repeat their synergies so they consistantly feel rewarded for drafting their themes and synergies.

I'm in the opposite lane although I respect the 'they lead to repetitive games' because that's a very real argument.

For me the tutors are important if my players are trying to construct decks with a focus. If they are doing a combo or a theme where they have some key pieces, then I want my tutors to be strong and efficient so the players can find those important pieces.

I get that they can also be general good stuff but I see that as more of an issue with the rest of the cards and not with the actual tutor.

Tutors create repetitive games. But it is good to give the players the opportunity to repeat their synergies so they consistantly feel rewarded for drafting their themes and synergies.
I do not mind cheap restrictive tutors, since it requires a deck building restriction. The cheap general ones are, just like blue can’t rip (yes this autocorrect was to good to correct), a sore tooth for the game. It is repetitive and boring (after a few games).

I'm in a similar camp when it comes to tutors — they're a necessary evil for some combo decks (especially in constructed), but they do cut down on diversity in play.

That said, may I suggest...

?

Though, on the topic of restrictive tutors... part of me really wants to toss a copy of this baby in the "only 2s, 3s, and 7s" cube (I will work on it eventually I swear I am in the middle of moving)

I think this one was on a recent Lucky Paper Radio episode and it seems cool

Has anyone had experience with it? What cards does it work best with? I have some counters themes but they don't really get into blue.

I think this one was on a recent Lucky Paper Radio episode and it seems cool

Has anyone had experience with it? What cards does it work best with? I have some counters themes but they don't really get into blue.
Persist and undying cards? (Sadly it is not on enchantments)

It’s a cheap enabler that allows you to discard for free. I still run it to support Jund madness archetypes, and it can do some work in graveyard based decks. It is certainly showing its age, but there is nothing else I can think of that does the same job on turn one. Oona’s Prowler is ‘better’ but comes down a turn later.

Lastly, in a pinch Putrid Imp can act as a sorcery speed One With Nothing, a card which most curators don’t have space for in their cube.

Last edited: