General Spaaaaace: To Unfinity and Beyond!

this set goes SO HARD folks.
there’s already at least 10 cards i’m gonna be trying out, NOT COUNTING attractions, and we still have the weekend and Monday left for spoilers! this set is so crazy it’s got me testing a six-drop?? what?!?

look at all this nonsense! LOOK AT IT

I cube several Un-cards, but this set just doesn't do it for me. Both stickers and attractions add too much unnessecary complexity and the payoff just isn't good enough. An easy pass, even the Shocklands.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I cube several Un-cards, but this set just doesn't do it for me. Both stickers and attractions add too much unnessecary complexity and the payoff just isn't good enough. An easy pass, even the Shocklands.
I think you're underestimating the payoff on attractions. It's free value that accumulates over time. They remind me a bit of planeswalkers, actually. Obviously it depends on how playable the cards are that open transactions, but I have high hopes for the playability of them.

I guess we already knew this but odd/even mana costs are legit things to care about in competitive Magic. But alphabetical is not.

1664014834306.png

I think you're underestimating the payoff on attractions. It's free value that accumulates over time. They remind me a bit of planeswalkers, actually. Obviously it depends on how playable the cards are that open transactions, but I have high hopes for the playability of them.
I don't think payoff was being equated to viability here.
And if it was, I don't think it should have been. Viability only counteracts complexity in the sense that format staples are more likely to already be understood by magic players.

I don't like that I can't use an attraction as is. I need another card to open one. So I have to litter my cube not only with attractions but also with cards to open them. So what if you only have one or two cards in the draft pool to open attractions with but all your attractions? That's a parasitic mechanic I'll keep my hands off.

I don't like that I can't use an attraction as is. I need another card to open one. So I have to litter my cube not only with attractions but also with cards to open them. So what if you only have one or two cards in the draft pool to open attractions with but all your attractions? That's a parasitic mechanic I'll keep my hands off.
you know you can just squadron the attractions so that you get them when you draft cards that make them right? they don’t have to use up cube space and draft picks

“Whenever you pick a card that can open an attraction, also get one random attraction from THIS pile for free” (points to the pile of selected attractions for the cube.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm glad someone is enjoying this set. Because that someone isn't me. :(

I dunno, it just feels really forced for some reason.
Same. The attractions are somewhat promising, but I don't think I can run those alongside lesson/learn, and I don't really like the random aspect of it. Hats, outside assistance, and stickers (despite my other cube) don't do it for me.

Cards like this make my skin crawl. It breaks immersion so hard to actively reference both taking pictures and social media. That's fine, it gets blacksmithy's gears going, so this set just isn't for me.

I think if I end up playing any cards that open attractions I would treat them like token producers.

The drafting rule for attractions I think only exists as-is because there's a high density of cards that open attractions in Unfinity limited. However, attractions themselves function more like tokens, things that are "created" by another card. In constructed, they will basically be tokens with extra steps.

I'd still have players shuffle up a pile of three or more attractions to open, but they would come free with the card instead of being something they have to draft. I think this would actually allow some cool curation on the part of the designer. For example, Myra the Magnificent and "Lifetime" Pass Holder are going to synergize better with different attractions. So maybe a pile for Myra could consist of Balloon Stand, Trash Bin, and Fortune Teller, while the Pass Holder's pile could be Merry-Go-Round, Haunted House, and Concession Stand. If a player has both cards, they can shuffle both piles together or pick and choose what they want to play as long as they have at least three attractions in their attraction deck.

I'll grant that this idea is a little convoluted, but I think these cards look like fun to Cube with if executed properly.

If you want to see Legacy-Legal attractions, click here.

I think if I end up playing any cards that open attractions I would treat them like token producers.
But they are not token producers. These generally only produce the same tokens. Giving someone a random pile of attractions is like giving someone a random pile of cards for that Tutor he drafted. Especially as the attractions aren't balanced. Some seem way stronger than others. You also have to pay attention at the number distribution on the cards. As there are different versions of the same attraction with different activation numbers.
All in all I don't think that Aldingen attractions to my cube is worth the payoff.

But they are not token producers. These generally only produce the same tokens.
Tokens are the closest analogy for attractions we currently have in eternal Magic. In constructed, attractions are basically going to be cards that make a random token out of a pool of ten cards chosen by the player before the match. They're like Outlaw's Merriment on steroids. As I said, the only reason why attractions are drafted cards in Unfinity draft is that there are so many more cards that open attractions than there might otherwise be. Everywhere else they can (and should!) be handled differently.

Giving someone a random pile of attractions is like giving someone a random pile of cards for that Tutor he drafted.
No it's not? It's more like handing the person who drafted Professional Face-Breaker a pile of treasures to make. Attractions can't go in your deck; they're something that exists outside of the game until a card opens one of them. With a tutor, you'd have to add the cards to your deck and then cast them if you wanted to use them. Attractions just get created when a card opens them. Hence the token analogy from earlier.

Especially as the attractions aren't balanced. Some seem way stronger than others.
I don't think there will be enough playable cards that open attractions for this to be relevant. Also, there's nothing stopping someone from using the same attraction multiple times for different cards if they like it's play patterns.

You also have to pay attention at the number distribution on the cards. As there are different versions of the same attraction with different activation numbers.
Right, this is a consideration, but remember that every attraction has different variants that trigger on different numbers. A designer can pick a fairly even distribution of roll triggers if they wish. Balancing the attraction rolls seems like a fun design process, so it's not an issue.

All in all I don't think that Aldingen attractions to my cube is worth the payoff.
And that's fine. But pretending these cards are hard to use is a bit disingenuous. They require a bit of creativity to implement cleanly, but it seems easy to do for people who think the cards look fun.