General (BRO) The Brother's War Spoilers

I believe that the packed release schedule is alienating a certain age-group that has less free time from the game. I wonder if it's being financially worth it for Wizards, I look around and don't understand who would be making it worth it for them if not these folks.
I think this new schedule works in targeting players that aren't all that invested in the game, say casual kitchen table or those who drift in and out playing for a bit and then taking a year or two off before coming back. To them it's just a new set coming out soon that they can mess around with as they hop in and out of engagement. To those of us who have been into the game for years or decades now, it's the 4th release in 5 months that we've seen and everything starts to blur. Nothing feels special when you have product releases every month.

I don't know how much of Magic is tailored towards those who were into keeping up with the game via playing Standard FNMs or weekly drafts and watching the Pro Tour or occasional SCG Open on the weekend. That was pretty high engagement with the hobby. For that particular type of player, which was most of my primary playgroup back in college, I don't think the game is anywhere near as engaging nowadays due to how much of it is coming out so quickly. It's definitely different if you're a content creator or someone playing professionally; changes and constant updates keeps you on your toes and makes it fresh and exciting. I mean just look at viewer engagement with anything featuring Alchemy. It's absolutely abysmal for a viewer where card familiarity is key, but the actual content producers seemed to be having a blast with the changes. Well, until they saw the viewership numbers had tanked for Alchemy content (like MTGGoldfish for example).

I'm really not quite sure what the end game is for WoTC aside from short term profit margins. I mean they're obviously targeting a more casual demographic than they were in the past with all these EDH products and various one-off collaborations, especially with Secret Lairs, but they're sacrificing the staying power that kept the game appealing for so many invested players for the past 25+ years. There was a comfort in that stability. Tailoring their designs towards digital play and pushing paper focus in an EDH oriented direction has caused issues across the board rearing their ugly heads in various formats.

Magic just feels very different to me now than the game I fell back in love with in 2013. If I were a new player, I'm not sure I'd even want to get started with this hobby in 2022. I still think the game is the best I've ever played, but my engagement and excitement for it is not anywhere near what it was a few years ago even dating back to Ravnica 3 or Eldraine. I'll definitely be enjoying BRO as the cards are spoiled as I'm very into this setting and revisiting a part of Magic's past, but I can't say that I'm all that thrilled by the prospect of having another two week stretch to enjoy new cards before spoiler season starts up again.

I'm really not quite sure what the end game is for WoTC aside from short term profit margins.
I don't think there is any other end game, especially since this isn't really a WotC decision.

This is a direct result of WotC basically doubling their revenue a few years back, and Hasbro going "oh, cool — now do that again!"

It's just that the first doubling was a result of a mixture of luck and new markets, and now the only thing they can do is cash in customer goodwill and hope.

I don't think there is any other end game, especially since this isn't really a WotC decision.

This is a direct result of WotC basically doubling their revenue a few years back, and Hasbro going "oh, cool — now do that again!"

It's just that the first doubling was a result of a mixture of luck and new markets, and now the only thing they can do is cash in customer goodwill and hope.

I mean, it's kinda both, right? The CEO at Hasbro now (Cocks) is the same guy who expedited these changes and got the credit for doubling revenue as president at WotC the last 5ish years (thus the promotion). Secret Lairs in 2019 and the shift to Commander everything product in 2020 were clearly under his watch, and it's likely that plans for these began 2017ish once he got settled into being president.

I think Hasbro and WoTC are one and the same at this point under the CEO. It's their golden goose. No other IP of theirs has this crossover ability that results in steep profit generation. I'd think that's the primary reason why they've been so open with all these collabs and dilution of the product when these would have been unthinkable in years prior aside from custom proxies. Why stop what works when you can just gut the player base addicted to your cardboard?

I think there's a limit to the goodwill of the player base, lord knows it's near empty for most everyone I've been playing with over the years, but who knows when that well will run dry. Maybe never with the amount of whales this game attracts. Clearly they're making more than enough money to justify whatever they've been doing despite how many of us may feel nowadays.

All I want is a cubeable Ashnod, Tawnos and Hurkyl to go with the ever-wonderful Feldon. Grixis artifact legends between them all. Maybe even a Drafna

See I don't even know off the top of my head what GRN is referring to lmao. Armada Wurm my beloved
GRN is Guilds of Ravnica, or Ravnica 3.0 for the lazy, it came out in 2018...
Armada Wurm was in RTR that was in 2012 (not 2020) lol

But apart from this, I can understand the feeling, I feel like I am able to really "live" one expansion each year. I kinda miss the good ol' times where we stayed a whole year on the same plane, it was very helpful to embed myself in the Magic world and sometimes I remember something I did in my life and think "oh this happened on the Shards of Alara year" :swagg:

But apart from this, I can understand the feeling, I feel like I am able to really "live" one expansion each year. I kinda miss the good ol' times where we stayed a whole year on the same plane, it was very helpful to embed myself in the Magic world and sometimes I remember something I did in my life and think "oh this happened on the Shards of Alara year" :swagg:

Well get use to Phyrexia 2022/2023 :p We’ll probably be on Dominaria and New Phyrexia (formerly known as Mirrodin (formerly known as Argentum))

Yeah that Wurm is in reference to the second part of my original statement lol
RTR feels like just yesterday lol....

I want to appreciate the old border cards in the bro archives, wurmspiralmaschine's new art is extremely sexy.
but, and it's amazing how much this has bothered me ever since MH2, the set symbol is really jarring, and I don't understand. They did it correctly the first time around in Time Spiral Remastered, just put a white border around it. MH2 had black ones and it looks significantly worse. This one is even even bigger step down, there's no breathing room around it and I swear it looks like it has .jpg artifacts.
c5688978-1744-4986-bda3-09629541b827.jpg
c39d88fd-7762-4d02-af7c-b13e7db5b23e.jpg

3cbaad4f-fb66-4e56-b383-32f55552c8b2.jpg
b045a766-73ee-4109-bede-2e1d71b80f2f.jpg

The only thing as good as [BRO] as a set code is [BOT].

From what I understand, these Transformers cards are in BRO in some way. Maybe just the Collector's Boosters? I don't really understand and I'm happy to wait until Monday to find out the deets but in the meantime, against my better aesthetic judgement...I kind of love these two mechanically:

AMBULANCE!!
75v1dif8w8r91.png

A split card of a 1/4 lifelink for 2 or a 2/4 lifelink for 3 is fine to start, and it's an artifact creature! AND, we get a fun artifact reanimation ability. Probably a marginal pick from a power level standpoint, and more complex than I might want for my list on a normal day, but the complexity is cut a bit if I'm already convinced I'm going to include one of these, whose name is.........

OPTIMUS PRIME

bot-13-optimus-prime-hero-1.jpgbot-13-optimus-prime-autobot-leader.jpg

Pretty good! I'm not one for the nostalgia of Transformers necessarily, but there's a reason Optimus Prime is so beloved: card is cool. I like this both at 5 and 6 mana quite a lot, and it seems like a worthwhile inclusion for the Welder decks in great colors for it.

My current America card is Soulfire Grand Master and it's gotten progressively less compelling. While there are excellent arguments out there for not having a dedicated Jeskai slot, I am intent on keeping it, and this is undoubtedly my favorite card in UWR, mechanically.

I will absolutely never play with alt arts, not just because of the lame CG art or unbelievably busy frame, but because there's no reminder text. That's OK by me since there's at least one version with reminder text both for MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE (thank goodness) and Bolster (also, thank goodness).

Those Transformers cards just look horrendous to me art wise. They look like bad custom Magic cards.
I'm honestly shocked and appalled from a brand management perspective they didn't redraw all of them in Magic-style. The Stranger Things cards looked a little wonky, but at least they looked like Magic cards.

These don't just look like bad custom Magic cards, they look like lazy ones. It makes both brands look a lot worse and IMO threatens to alienate advocates for the Universes Beyond. It almost delegitimizes it by making its cash grab nature even more obviously transparent.

And they did a Transformers card before!!! It looked a lot more like a Magic card than these.

mishraclaimedbygix.jpg
phyrexiandragonengine.jpg
mishralosttophyrexia.jpg

I like how these two cards come together to form something really cool. I don't like how they have to survive on the board for multiple turns in order to meld, but when they combine you basically get to win the game, so it balances out.

Phyrexian Dragon Engine is a really cool design, although it does feel too small in body size compared to how big it appears to be in the art. I guess the original Dragon Engine is only a 1/3, and Ramos, Dragon Engine was only a 4/4, but still... 2/2 seems too small.

Oh well, I'm not going to complain more about the lore because the ability suite is really cool. Phyrexian Dragon Engine works surprisingly well with Unearth (the card). I also hope it signifies a bunch of cards with Unearth (the mechanic) being in the set. I think that mechanic would play very well with some of the other artifact and graveyard themes that can be supported in modern-day Cubes.

I don't like how they have to survive on the board for multiple turns in order to meld

The sweet thing about this pair is that Mishra's the only one that actually has to survive — Unearth means that you can continually threaten a swing from one of the Timmiest creatures ever.

It's wild to me that it's going to be possible to curve T3 Liliana (pitching Phyrexian Dragon Engine), T4 Mishra, T5 unearth the Dragon Engine into a 9/9 murder machine in Standard.

Phyrexian Dragon Engine is a really cool design, although it does feel too small in body size compared to how big it appears to be in the art. I guess the original Dragon Engine is only a 1/3, and Ramos, Dragon Engine was only a 4/4, but still... 2/2 seems too small.

I choose to interpret it as being still all old and shitty after he dug it up in the Fallaji desert - given the Unearth, I'm assuming it's that specific dragon engine. Or maybe OG Phyrexia was overhyped and could have been taken out by like, a rampaging Craw Wurm. Either/or. I am looking forward to casting this guy with workshop, or unearthing it. Err, Unearthing it, rather.

Last edited:
145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding.

^145 words. I could have counted wrong. Didn't count reminder text.

145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding. 145 words on Mishra Melding.
145 words in your comment exactly, I counted yours :) Well done! (Excluding the extra comment you had below which makes it a total of 156)