General CBS

Why don't you just add a mono colored card?

I think most cubes would be improved by reducing the number of gold cards in them. Better drafting, less mana constraints on the decks. And most gold effects can be replaced by mono colored equivalents easily too.
This is a good tip and I agree with it. But I already run just 3 gold cards per guild, which I find is a good spot for low density and giving spice + signaling to the color pairs. If it is just for the effect, I am already moving all more generic effects to monocolor equivalent and freeing gold space for less common stuff.

That said, back to the example above. Why not use mystic snake with flying tacked on?
You mean errating Mystic Snake so it also flies? I run the snake and think it is fine as it is.

I respectfully disagree. One can also achieve “better drafting, less mana constraints” by simply increasing fixing quality and quantity until gold cards can be cast more easily by more drafters. If one pushes proactive/aggressive cards in gold sections at the same time (Putrid Leech), there’s not as much danger of “5-color goodstuff”.

I don’t think this is right for every cube, but by the same token, we can’t assume that low gold density and Retail-esque fixing is right for everybody, either.
I agree with this. I recently listened to the Lucky Paper Radio podcasts on land count and read that article on it and am inspired to find 30 slots or so for upping my fixing land count to 60+. Surprised to find how many sources are needed to "reliably" (90%+ chance) cast spells on curve. And I find draft pools end up with too many playables, too many difficult decissions and too many exciting cards left out.

This is a good tip and I agree with it. But I already run just 3 gold cards per guild, which I find is a good spot for low density and giving spice + signaling to the color pairs. If it is just for the effect, I am already moving all more generic effects to monocolor equivalent and freeing gold space for less common stuff.

You mean errating Mystic Snake so it also flies? I run the snake and think it is fine as it is.

I agree with this. I recently listened to the Lucky Paper Radio podcasts on land count and read that article on it and am inspired to find 30 slots or so for upping my fixing land count to 60+. Surprised to find how many sources are needed to "reliably" (90%+ chance) cast spells on curve. And I find draft pools end up with too many playables, too many difficult decissions and too many exciting cards left out.
Yes I meant add flying to it. The 3/2 flying trample accidental lifegain is weird. Green has some lifegain, but blue not. I would like to have a ability on it that feels blue Green and that signals the colour pair/or is interesting. This one does not do that for me.

Yes I meant add flying to it. The 3/2 flying trample accidental lifegain is weird. Green has some lifegain, but blue not. I would like to have a ability on it that feels blue Green and that signals the colour pair/or is interesting. This one does not do that for me.
For me it can help stabilize the draw-go reactive strategy while still playing on its lines (having flash). I'm still not 100% sure about it tho, I might instead add something that adds variety in other direction and helps other decks like Kiora's Follower.

i can confirm that running a ton of lands makes cutting down your playables way easier

I respectfully disagree. One can also achieve “better drafting, less mana constraints” by simply increasing fixing quality and quantity until gold cards can be cast more easily by more drafters. If one pushes proactive/aggressive cards in gold sections at the same time (Putrid Leech), there’s not as much danger of “5-color goodstuff”.

I don’t think this is right for every cube, but by the same token, we can’t assume that low gold density and Retail-esque fixing is right for everybody, either.

Sure, just to clarify: I never said that one should lower their fixing at all, certainly not down to retail limited standards.

All I suggested was cutting down gold slots to the essential. That's mostly unique effects you don't have access to in mono color slots, accompanied by a few cards you particularly like. Of course all that differs from cube designer to cube designer, I just feel many could improve their cube's drafting experiences by reevaluating whether they could shrink their gold sections.

Let me give some examples to explain better what I mean.

Looking at decks playing 1-3 colors:
Last Gasp can be picked up and cast by people drafting 11 of the 25 possible color combinations
Agony Warp can be picked up and cast by people drafting 4 of 25 possible color combinations
Not to mention that every deck could splash a card like Last Gasp, while for Agony Warp you'd need to be already in one of it's colors

That means that the black card is almost three times as versatile, flexible and fought over. The only reason why I would prefer to cube the gold card in this particular case would be if for example {W/B} and {B/R} are already getting more removal than you'd want to and you want to make sure that some will end up with the {U/B} drafters.

However, the biggest advantage in my book is the freedom you are giving your drafters. Reducing the amount of gold cards for me has been part of my goal to make my cube more sandboxy, meaning to give my drafters the feeling they're drafting their deck. Of course there are themes and archetypes we integrate in our lists as cube designers, but I want the lists those synergies appear in have a higher variance and individuality in how they look, feel and play. This becomes more clear I guess with an effect less generic than a removal spell.

When people are picking a Bloodhall Priest, they are either going for {B/R}, are already in {B/R} or will end up leaving it in their sideboard. Yes, they could splash it, but you can only splash so many cards and the hurdle is much higher, especially for newer players. Here, they are pretty much commiting to a madness style deck, whether they pick wurm or priest. However, it is much more likely to see that one in a variety of different decks. And I'm not just talking {B/R}, {R/G} or {U/R}, because access to different colors also means access to different effects. It is not only that you might be curving Wild Mongrel into this instead of Heir of Falkenrath, it can even give a rather one dimensional card like the Reckless Wurm more depth. For example, in my cube, blue leaning madness decks are often less tempo and mire value oriented. Thus the wurm can show up alongside these cards:

But it can also show up alongside these cards:

And while we're at it with a dozen of looting effects churning through our library, why don't we throw in a Lab Man as an alternative win con?
Or how about these cards:

That (much higher) potential to show up in very different decks turn a simpler, slightly weaker version of a card like the Reckless Wurm into a much more interesting one than e.g. Bloodhall Priest. (This also goes a bit into why I dislike pair archetypes as a concept, but that's a different topic I guess).

Additionally, I think people, including WotC, overstate the value of gold cards as signposts. When I shrank my gold section, I cut cards like Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow and still people drafting {U/B} ninjutsu decks, even people who had not drafted my cube before. I've cut Lathiel, the Bounteous Dawn and only after that my girlfriend drafted the "Lifefall" deck, where she used cards like Tireless Provisioner to smoothly combine the green centered landfall theme with the white centered lifegain theme. The fresh approach of {G/W} has become a real contender in the format after that. It didn't need Lathiel, it needed Grazing Gladeheart and Dawn of Hope and the creativity of one person drafting.

Potential takeaway: Don't damn gold cards, they're cool, but seriously reevaluate which ones and how many your cube needs. And, more overarching, let your drafters be creative.

Last edited:
Great exemplification on the openness of monocolor cards. The reasons you provide are why I kept thinning the gold section and why I also dislike pair-color archetypes. Give support to them, but seed them diversely so the drafters can be the ones who create the decks. In contrast, tho, I'm currently wondering if I have done this too much and trying to figure out what exact pairs try to do. The "try" is important: I don't want to give them something to do, I want to see where they are pointing to after years of dispersedly seeding synergies.

This is part of the reason that I really like off-color kickers and activated abilities. Take this piggy, for example:

It's a really solid aggro creature for a {R/G} deck (a 3/3 for {1}{G} or a 3/3 haste for {1}{R}{G}) that's still playable in a green deck that merely splashes red or doesn't include red at all. It's a crying shame that the rest of that cycle has such mediocre stats for vanilla creatures.

That's actually one of the annoying bits about how WotC has designed this kind of card — generally, one "half" of the card kinda sucks. Either you have a solid gold card that turns into a crappy vanilla creature if you only have one of its colors, or you have a solid card with an excessively expensive "kicker" that's not worth the cardboard that its printed on. Or you get both!

It's a shame. I really want to like:

But a 2/2 flyer for {3}{W} is not terribly good.

Sure, just to clarify: I never said that one should lower their fixing at all, certainly not down to retail limited standards.

All I suggested was cutting down gold slots to the essential. That's mostly unique effects you don't have access to in mono color slots, accompanied by a few cards you particularly like. Of course all that differs from cube designer to cube designer, I just feel many could improve their cube's drafting experiences by reevaluating whether they could shrink their gold sections.

Let me give some examples to explain better what I mean.

Looking at decks playing 1-3 colors:
Last Gasp can be picked up and cast by people drafting 11 of the 25 possible color combinations
Agony Warp can be picked up and cast by people drafting 4 of 25 possible color combinations
Not to mention that every deck could splash a card like Last Gasp, while for Agony Warp you'd need to be already in one of it's colors

That means that the black card is almost three times as versatile, flexible and fought over. The only reason why I would prefer to cube the gold card in this particular case would be if for example {W/B} and {B/R} are already getting more removal than you'd want to and you want to make sure that some will end up with the {U/B} drafters.

However, the biggest advantage in my book is the freedom you are giving your drafters. Reducing the amount of gold cards for me has been part of my goal to make my cube more sandboxy, meaning to give my drafters the feeling they're drafting their deck. Of course there are themes and archetypes we integrate in our lists as cube designers, but I want the lists those synergies appear in have a higher variance and individuality in how they look, feel and play. This becomes more clear I guess with an effect less generic than a removal spell.

When people are picking a Bloodhall Priest, they are either going for {B/R}, are already in {B/R} or will end up leaving it in their sideboard. Yes, they could splash it, but you can only splash so many cards and the hurdle is much higher, especially for newer players. Here, they are pretty much commiting to a madness style deck, whether they pick wurm or priest. However, it is much more likely to see that one in a variety of different decks. And I'm not just talking {B/R}, {R/G} or {U/R}, because access to different colors also means access to different effects. It is not only that you might be curving Wild Mongrel into this instead of Heir of Falkenrath, it can even give a rather one dimensional card like the Reckless Wurm more depth. For example, in my cube, blue leaning madness decks are often less tempo and mire value oriented. Thus the wurm can show up alongside these cards:

But it can also show up alongside these cards:

And while we're at it with a dozen of looting effects churning through our library, why don't we throw in a Lab Man as an alternative win con?
Or how about these cards:

That (much higher) potential to show up in very different decks turn a simpler, slightly weaker version of a card like the Reckless Wurm into a much more interesting one than e.g. Bloodhall Priest. (This also goes a bit into why I dislike pair archetypes as a concept, but that's a different topic I guess).

Additionally, I think people, including WotC, overstate the value of gold cards as signposts. When I shrank my gold section, I cut cards like Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow and still people drafting {U/B} ninjutsu decks, even people who had not drafted my cube before. I've cut Lathiel, the Bounteous Dawn and only after that my girlfriend drafted the "Lifefall" deck, where she used cards like Tireless Provisioner to smoothly combine the green centered landfall theme with the white centered lifegain theme. The fresh approach of {G/W} has become a real contender in the format after that. It didn't need Lathiel, it needed Grazing Gladeheart and Dawn of Hope and the creativity of one person drafting.

Potential takeaway: Don't damn gold cards, they're cool, but seriously reevaluate which ones and how many your cube needs. And, more overarching, let your drafters be creative.
I agree with everything you said. However the gold example you showed is flawed. Bloodthral priest or a madness wurm do not differ much. A gold card should be a card which (I only play pre8 so forgive my weird examples)
1) is much stronger than normally,

2) cement the powers of the colours, (there are much better examples than this one, but forcing e.g. zombies makes the draft go on rails)

3) brings something new to the colours

edit: the joy of not having multicolour is that players can surprise you with the freedom there is. Combos/synergies can surprise you just like a aggro-control type of strategy. So, any multicoloured card should be worthy of a story!

This is part of the reason that I really like off-color kickers and activated abilities. Take this piggy, for example:

It's a really solid aggro creature for a {R/G} deck (a 3/3 for {1}{G} or a 3/3 haste for {1}{R}{G}) that's still playable in a green deck that merely splashes red or doesn't include red at all. It's a crying shame that the rest of that cycle has such mediocre stats for vanilla creatures.

That's actually one of the annoying bits about how WotC has designed this kind of card — generally, one "half" of the card kinda sucks. Either you have a solid gold card that turns into a crappy vanilla creature if you only have one of its colors, or you have a solid card with an excessively expensive "kicker" that's not worth the cardboard that its printed on. Or you get both!

It's a shame. I really want to like:

But a 2/2 flyer for {3}{W} is not terribly good.
Well, 16 years of creature creep does that…

i can confirm that running a ton of lands makes cutting down your playables way easier
I can confirm that having (almost) no lands in the draft is fairer and more fun.

It is rare for non-entrenched players to grasp the strength of fixing. Similarly, for players who do not know your cube. Having fixing in your draft makes the stronger players even stronger. This is completely unnecessary and does not level the playing field! (If all players are entrenched then please go for fixing in the draft for more tension!)

I fix it by having none in the draft and allowing every player to pick an amount of fixing from the basic land box, e.g, pick at most x but not more than y of each pair, or hand out a few vistas to each player. (And if you want to cheat, by having the 5 colour fixing in the draft.)

If you find yourself having too many playables? Simply draft less cards.

tldr: cater to your playgroup and not yourself (but do not short yourself either).

I can confirm that having (almost) no lands in the draft is fairer and more fun.

It is rare for non-entrenched players to grasp the strength of fixing. Similarly, for players who do not know your cube. Having fixing in your draft makes the stronger players even stronger. This is completely unnecessary and does not level the playing field! (If all players are entrenched then please go for fixing in the draft for more tension!)

I fix it by having none in the draft and allowing every player to pick an amount of fixing from the basic land box, e.g, pick at most x but not more than y of each pair, or hand out a few vistas to each player. (And if you want to cheat, by having the 5 colour fixing in the draft.)

If you find yourself having too many playables? Simply draft less cards.

tldr: cater to your playgroup and not yourself (but do not short yourself either).
the lands in the basics box thing is really cool by the way! how many do you let people have? i know some folks who do "infinite fixing" in the BLB to craft constructed level mana for their cube decks

I didn't actually read the last few pages, but the best Simic card is Growth Spiral.

Anyone running counters themes? (Not necessarily in Simic.) New set has me a bit interested, but I don't want to look into it myself.

landofMordor

Administrator
No problem! I'm approaching this like how I would a conversation about Everything Everywhere All At Once or a similarly excellent movie -- no interpretation is too crazy, and nobody can be "wrong" or "right", but we're sure to learn something by having the conversation.

...[mono-color] card is [more] versatile, flexible and fought over
It's funny, I actually come to the opposite conclusion here -- Agony Warp can be a clean 2-for-1 when cast during combat (kill one thing, shrink another and block profitably). So, assuming i can cast it, I'll definitely draft and maindeck it at a higher rate than the mono-color one! Gold cards tend* to offer more power/flexibility/desirability per land tapped for mana. And yes, they're less castable, but that's why excellent & proactive fixing is the other, necessary side of that coin.

*Not always. RAV and Lorwyn had some real stinkers, not to mention AFR. But in general.

This crystallized for me when I drafted somebody's cube and the tail end of the pack was all interchangeable 5-mana monocolor beefcakes that rode sideboards for three rounds -- people were just playing 1 or 2 gold 5-mana beefcakes in their colors, instead. I was like, "wait, if the worst chunk of each monocolor has a 20% chance of being castable and a 25% chance of being maindecked, that's actually less effective than an above-rate gold roleplayer that has a 10% chance of being castable but a 75% chance of being maindecked!" (Obviously these percentages are just for illustration, but I'm saying that if the gold card is 3x more appealing to a deckbuilder, then that might counterbalance its 3x risk during draft. As a trivial example, you don't see people letting Oko or Uro wheel despite its 3x risk to drafters!)
However, the biggest advantage in my book is the freedom you are giving your drafters. Reducing the amount of gold cards for me has been part of my goal to make my cube more sandboxy, meaning to give my drafters the feeling they're drafting their deck.
For me, making the gold cards more powerful and open-ended has achieved the same end result. Vindicate may be boring, but it allows drafters to treat WB as their sandbox without having any synergies prescribed for them. Combining Vindicate with Chevill, Bane of Monsters leads to very different flavors of strategy than with General Ferrous Rokiric or Murktide Regent.

... Yes, they could splash it, but you can only splash so many cards ...
It's possible to sidestep this drawback using a different design lever -- if your mana is good, then base 2 colors splashing 1-2 more is just as feasible as playing a mono-color card in a lower-fixing environment. In other words, building a cube to support Grixis/Jund/Sultai Madness, not Dimir/Rakdos/Simic madness, means that Bloodhall's not such a committal splash.
(This also goes a bit into why I dislike pair archetypes as a concept, but that's a different topic I guess)...

Additionally, I think people, including WotC, overstate the value of gold cards as signposts.
Me too! I think we're saying the same thing here. WotC signposts are like the biggest fake news in all of cube design. In Retail Limited, it's not the words on the uncommons that create synergy, it's the fact that the gold uncommons are above-rate and drafters naturally try to synergize with their powerful game pieces. (cf Sam Black's podcast post-CubeCon). I prefer to play gold power outliers and let the power do the signposting.
I'll co-sign that! And the addendum that I hope I've articulated above: Gold cards aren't inherently a barrier to creativity, but they can be symptomatic of an overly prescriptive design attitude.

Thanks for the really interesting, well-written reply! cheers :)

landofMordor

Administrator
Interesting side-bar here -- w.r.t. scarcity of fixing, I think the advantage isn't so much that it enforces mana screw on the players, but that it increases the investment required to unlock powerful cards in a draft. (Want that FTK to pair with your Counterspell? Fine, but you'll need to accept the risk of mana screw to do it.)

Gold cards also have a high degree of investment, one that functions even if the mana of the cube is really good. (Want that Omnath, Locus of Creation? Fine, but be prepared to sacrifice a lot during the draft in order to be able to cast him!) That can be a really healthy thing for cubes that embrace threats that don't have investment and risk baked into their text box in the same way as threats of yore.

Either solution can be a valid way to create fun-filled, tension-filled gameplay in Cube. In fact, I've built two different cubes that embrace the opposite approaches!

landofMordor

Administrator
And -- sorry for spamming -- but I also adore "always color C and sometimes color D" gold cards!

My favorite thing about Boar et al. is that they incentivize light, low-risk splashes (say, off half of an off-color Bounce land or a triome or a few rainbow mana rocks or the 3rd color of Noble Hierarch.) When you get to Domain 4 with Evasive Action it's surprising, because you didn't plan for it to happen every game, but it makes you feel clever all the same!

Domain, Converge, Sunburst are all mechanics that function in this same vein, btw. (And also BRO's Prototype and colorless Unearth, in a different way!) It depends on the individual design whether it actually incentivizes marginal splashes or whether it wants you to go whole-hog (no pun intended).

the lands in the basics box thing is really cool by the way! how many do you let people have? i know some folks who do "infinite fixing" in the BLB to craft constructed level mana for their cube decks
It depends on your goals and on whether you want to support 2 colour decks with a splash or more. I loved the play of the old preconstructed decks with a tad of customisation. So, I provided max 4 painlands but not more than 2 of a pair and 2 vistas. The cube was crappy and got scrapped, but the fixing was a good idea.
You could also make it more powerful by allowing 3 bycicle lands, 2 triomes, and maybe 2 vistas? Just determine what you want to accomplish and try it out on your own.

Going off of this, I think a contributing factor to the appropriate number of gold cards in a given environment is the type of fixing in a Cube. In addition to the quantity and quality of fixing in an environment, how fixing is designed can dictate how difficult it can be to play a second or third color.

For example, my Cube runs a full set of Shocks, Fetches, and Triomes, which means that drafters can usually play whatever combination of colors they want with relative ease as long as they plan ahead during the draft. Obviously it’s easier for someone to play 2-3 colors instead of 5 (and this is partially due to other constraints of the format), but if someone really wants to bring to light their Siege Rhino by splashing Blue in Abzan.

By contrast, Ravnic’s Cube has painlands, Karoos, and 18 Prismatic Vistas. This fixing scheme is more conducive to 2-color decks, since the majority of the lands hitting the battlefield for a player will be basics (either fetched or dropped normally). In this context, gold cards are harder to fit into a deck that isn't exactly its two colors. There's a higher risk to splashing a third color since it all but requires playing an off-color basic that could screw up fixing for other colors.

Main takeaway: how fixing is designed in a given environment impacts the flexibility of gold cards just as much as the quantity and quality of fixing. As a result, the correct policy regarding gold card usage should be decided on a cube by cube basis.

I agree with everything you said. However the gold example you showed is flawed. Bloodthral priest or a madness wurm do not differ much. A gold card should be a card which (I only play pre8 so forgive my weird examples)
1) is much stronger than normally
2) cement the powers of the colours
3) brings something new to the colours

I think we're basically saying the same thing :D

I chose these examples particularly because I wanted to show what gold cards I wouldn't recommend. All three points that you mentioned pretty much overlap with my original criteria of gold cards you should be playing: Something you can't get from monocolor. Of course I wouldn't suggest cutting Pernicious Deed for Hurricane. I chose Bloodhall Priest and Agony Warp because these two have, imho, great monocolored replacements.

It's funny, I actually come to the opposite conclusion here -- Agony Warp can be a clean 2-for-1 when cast during combat (kill one thing, shrink another and block profitably). So, assuming i can cast it, I'll definitely draft and maindeck it at a higher rate than the mono-color one! Gold cards tend* to offer more power/flexibility/desirability per land tapped for mana. And yes, they're less castable, but that's why excellent & proactive fixing is the other, necessary side of that coin.

This crystallized for me when I drafted somebody's cube and the tail end of the pack was all interchangeable 5-mana monocolor beefcakes that rode sideboards for three rounds -- people were just playing 1 or 2 gold 5-mana beefcakes in their colors, instead. I was like, "wait, if the worst chunk of each monocolor has a 20% chance of being castable and a 25% chance of being maindecked, that's actually less effective than an above-rate gold roleplayer that has a 10% chance of being castable but a 75% chance of being maindecked!" (Obviously these percentages are just for illustration, but I'm saying that if the gold card is 3x more appealing to a deckbuilder, then that might counterbalance its 3x risk during draft. As a trivial example, you don't see people letting Oko or Uro wheel despite its 3x risk to drafters!)

Well, if your gold cards are better enough, people will take them. In my cube, I would splash Oko in my Orzhov deck if I was willing to win :D

However, luring people into another color by making your gold cards be significantly stronger than their mono colored counter parts also puts more constraints onto your drafters. How much differs wildly between cubes, but as long as you don't have fetches and ABU duals in your basic land box, there will be some constraints (in drafting certainly). That's why narrower power bands also lead to less splashing. Of course all that's just a heuristic, Magic is far too complex to break it down to simple rules like that.

It's possible to sidestep this drawback using a different design lever -- if your mana is good, then base 2 colors splashing 1-2 more is just as feasible as playing a mono-color card in a lower-fixing environment. In other words, building a cube to support Grixis/Jund/Sultai Madness, not Dimir/Rakdos/Simic madness, means that Bloodhall's not such a committal splash.

You're right. But I'd argue that you'd have to have the free vintage manabases to have Priest be as low in commitment as the Wurm. Even when fixing is so good, drafters will probably be more likely to stick with black and red after picking the Priest, because they probably never feel certain that they can get all the fixing they want. So with the Wurm, they might end up in a sweet Temur madness deck that's the best thing in their seat, and maybe would've been possible as well with the Priest splashing black, but humans won't know that from their draft seat.

Me too! I think we're saying the same thing here. WotC signposts are like the biggest fake news in all of cube design. In Retail Limited, it's not the words on the uncommons that create synergy, it's the fact that the gold uncommons are above-rate and drafters naturally try to synergize with their powerful game pieces. (cf Sam Black's podcast post-CubeCon). I prefer to play gold power outliers and let the power do the signposting.

I agree completely and actually do it in a similar fashion. I try to have the few gold cards I run be very exciting and in the upper end of my power band when possible, to reward the commitment. That being said, power outliers will pull people towards their synergistic decks whether they are gold, mono colored or colorless, so that doesn't really impact my stance :p

If you add a bunch of above-rate gold cards, of course people will play them. All I'm saying is: If you'd replace that above-rate powerful gold card supporting theme X with a monocolored card that's just as powerful and synergistic, that would probably bring more advantages than disadvantage for the draft experience.

Going off of this, I think a contributing factor to the appropriate number of gold cards in a given environment is the type of fixing in a Cube. In addition to the quantity and quality of fixing in an environment, how fixing is designed can dictate how difficult it can be to play a second or third color.

For example, my Cube runs a full set of Shocks, Fetches, and Triomes, which means that drafters can usually play whatever combination of colors they want with relative ease as long as they plan ahead during the draft. Obviously it’s easier for someone to play 2-3 colors instead of 5 (and this is partially due to other constraints of the format), but if someone really wants to bring to light their Siege Rhino by splashing Blue in Abzan.

By contrast, Ravnic’s Cube has painlands, Karoos, and 18 Prismatic Vistas. This fixing scheme is more conducive to 2-color decks, since the majority of the lands hitting the battlefield for a player will be basics (either fetched or dropped normally). In this context, gold cards are harder to fit into a deck that isn't exactly its two colors. There's a higher risk to splashing a third color since it all but requires playing an off-color basic that could screw up fixing for other colors.

Main takeaway: how fixing is designed in a given environment impacts the flexibility of gold cards just as much as the quantity and quality of fixing. As a result, the correct policy regarding gold card usage should be decided on a cube by cube basis.

Prismatic Vista is actually really good in enabling light splashes. It's less useful in a deck with lots of heavy color requirements. It's not helping you much when you want to curve Vendillion Clique into Siege Rhino. It's really good in letting you splash a couple cards with single off-color pips in your base one or two color deck.

However, of course you're totally right in that all this is subject to personal preferences. For me, I'd rather want mono black be something that occurs regularly than blue abzan. For example, when a year ago or so I replaced Time Wipe with Hallowed Burial, I shortly after saw a {R/W} control deck getting drafted with that card in it. Maybe, if that slot would've been the Time Wipe still, the deck would came out as a Jeskai control deck. And work just as fine. But personally, I felt it was much cooler and more exciting to see that super controlling Boros deck than just another control deck with blue in it. And if the drafter had picked up a Time Wipe in pack one, they were locked into blue, theyprobably would've taken some counter spells and blue card draw. But as it was, they stayed out of blue long enough to have others go into it and they got there with taking Wall of Omens and Arc Lightning and Boros Signet.

Prismatic Vista is actually really good in enabling light splashes. It's less useful in a deck with lots of heavy color requirements. It's not helping you much when you want to curve Vendillion Clique into Siege Rhino. It's really good in letting you splash a couple cards with single off-color pips in your base one or two color deck.

However, of course you're totally right in that all this is subject to personal preferences. For me, I'd rather want mono black be something that occurs regularly than blue abzan. For example, when a year ago or so I replaced Time Wipe with Hallowed Burial, I shortly after saw a {R/W} control deck getting drafted with that card in it. Maybe, if that slot would've been the Time Wipe still, the deck would came out as a Jeskai control deck. And work just as fine. But personally, I felt it was much cooler and more exciting to see that super controlling Boros deck than just another control deck with blue in it. And if the drafter had picked up a Time Wipe in pack one, they were locked into blue, theyprobably would've taken some counter spells and blue card draw. But as it was, they stayed out of blue long enough to have others go into it and they got there with taking Wall of Omens and Arc Lightning and Boros Signet.
I agree with the first part of this for sure. My point with talking about Prismatic Vista was that it's a lot better at maintaining a mana base with mostly light pip costs (like {1}{R}, {2}{U}, {3}{W}) as opposed to heavier costs ({1}{B}{B}, {U}{R}{W}, {G}{G}{G}). It's going to be difficult to curve Vendillion Clique into Siege Rhino consistently in any environment just because of how incompatible the costs are. However, it is far easier to curve a {1}{B}{B} cost Phyrexian Arena into a {1}{W}{B}{G} cost Siege Rhino in a shock/fetch world than in a Prismatic Vista world. You would need to be able to set up a very specific combination of basics to do this with vistas every game, whereas a single fetchland grabbing a Godless Shrine could solve the problem a little more consistently. However, Vistas are just as good at helping a deck curve a {1}{R} cost Dismissive Pyromancer into a {2}{B} Faith of the Devoted as a fetch/shock mana base because the pip costs are so much less stringent– even if you draw 2 mountains and a vista, you can always have your black source on time. This does scale up to light splashes as well– you can definitely cast a Siege Rhino off of a single swamp tutored off of a Vista. However, you're unlikely to be able to splash a Bring to Light as the only blue card in the deck if you're trying to build a basic-heavy mana base with Prismatic Vistas. Shock/Fetch doesn't let you play whatever you want with little downside, it just opens up more mana–intensive strategies to skilled drafters. On the flip side, Vistas are helpful for keeping the number of basics in a secondary color down in mono-color-oriented decks. A Cube with a vista-based mana structure is going to be better at helping decks with strict early-game requirements for a single color of mana. A deck with 5 prismatic vistas and a single mountain could conceivably always follow up a Gifted Aetherborn with a Professional Face-Breaker thanks to vistas. The same couldn't be said about curving a Necropotence into a Queen Marchesa, which requires a dual land at some point along the process.

In your Time Wipe example, I don't necessarily think that replacing wipe with Hallowed Burial is what enabled the Boros control deck. The deck probably already existed in the environment beforehand– someone just would have needed to use one of their Vistas to grab up a single island to enable the casting of the Wipe. It definitely requires more creativity and planning than just playing the good White control card in a W/R control deck, but I don't think having to splash for the powerful effect is inherently less exciting than being able to do it in-house with just two colors. After all, if a deck is only playing blue for a single five-drop game-ending spell, that's not really just another blue control deck. I certainly don't think having a fetchable Breeding Pool in a deck to make a single Bring to Light work is the same thing as a fully committal section with multiple blue spells. I think the same applies to the time-wipe scenario.

You're right. But I'd argue that you'd have to have the free vintage manabases to have Priest be as low in commitment as the Wurm. Even when fixing is so good, drafters will probably be more likely to stick with black and red after picking the Priest, because they probably never feel certain that they can get all the fixing they want. So with the Wurm, they might end up in a sweet Temur madness deck that's the best thing in their seat, and maybe would've been possible as well with the Priest splashing black, but humans won't know that from their draft seat.

I agree completely and actually do it in a similar fashion. I try to have the few gold cards I run be very exciting and in the upper end of my power band when possible, to reward the commitment. That being said, power outliers will pull people towards their synergistic decks whether they are gold, mono colored or colorless, so that doesn't really impact my stance :p

If you add a bunch of above-rate gold cards, of course people will play them. All I'm saying is: If you'd replace that above-rate powerful gold card supporting theme X with a monocolored card that's just as powerful and synergistic, that would probably bring more advantages than disadvantage for the draft experience.
I think this isn't necessarily the case and is more broadly a matter of taste.

In the case of Bloodhall Preist and Reckless Wurm, the two cards are of a very similar power level and one is not particularly more exciting than the other. Although the priest is easier to hardcast (2AB is cheaper than 3AA), the madness ability is more pip-intensive, which makes it harder to use in practice. However, I think there are a lot of situations where you can use a gold card to give players more interesting deckbuilding puzzles to solve than a mono-color counterpart.

For example, let's say I'm a designer building a Gruul Madness archetype as part of a broader Madness theme in my Cube. I could just play Rummaging Goblin and be done with it– every Red Madness deck can play the Goblin, and while it's not great, it gives players additional redundancy for enabling madness. However, I could also play Anje Falkenrath. Anje is a bit better than Rummaging Goblin, but she's not so much better that her abilities offset her second color. However, she's a lot cooler. If a Gruul player sees Anje in the draft, they're given an interesting Puzzle to solve: this card is a really strong enabler for their deck; how can they play it? It's not particularly committal if they take it –Anje only represents 1 pick out of 45– but it does give them the option to try and reach for a cooler deck than they might have had if the card was just a garden variety rummager. Depending on how the Cube is constructed, it does not necessarily need to be difficult to make Anje work. A simple Farseek and Smoldering Marsh could do the trick. The resulting GRb deck is going to be cooler than the canned Gruul madness deck we had previously– the splash transformed it from something forgettable into something memorable.

That's why narrower power bands also lead to less splashing. Of course all that's just a heuristic, Magic is far too complex to break it down to simple rules like that.
Honestly, I don't even think this is true as a heuristic. Splashing to me seems like a function of players wanting to try something novel rather than just trying to force something powerful.

For example, my Cube has a generally tight power band outside of the two broken cantrips. Despite this, you still often see people playing three or more colors even when they don't really need to. For example, UR and WR players will often splash a third color to use Mantis Rider in their deck. Rider isn't insane in a world with Phoenix of Ash and Fable of the Mirror Breaker, but it is a unique attacker capable of putting out more damage faster than these counterparts. It's harder to cast but not undoable given my Cube's mana requirement. Another example is RB-based Unearth decks splashing White to live the dream with Monastery Mentor and the expanding pool of White Reanimation effects. These decks don't need White to win strictly speaking due to the presence of Young Pyromancer and Sedgemoor Witch, but being able to play White's expanded toolbox of spells, including stellar removal, toolboxing, and protection, makes the risk of the splash worthwhile. And finally, yes, bring to light is very good at grabbing Siege Rhino if you're able to sneak a blue source into your Abzan deck. You're probably going to start losing games due to mana inconsistency if you start throwing in other random blue cards, but getting to play a second Rhino is usually worth the risk.

I think the most important thing about decks in a smooth-band environment is deck coherence. As long as your deck is coherent, you can play as many or as few colors as you want and still be able to win. Five Color Goodstuff is consistently one of the worst decks in my Cube, despite the fact that at least one person always forces it, because the low-to-the-ground design of my Cube really encourages streamlined decks. Mono-Red, U/R Prowess, Esper Control, Abzan Midrange, Green Ramp, and so on are all able to outplay and outpunch a deck that is just a pile of the "best" cards in the environment. This is because the good cards in my Cube are powerful because of how they play with others instead of how they play in a vacuum. Sure, Siege Rhino and Expressive Iteration are better than Polukranos, World Eater and Anticipate. However, a deck that is trying to win by using both Siege Rhino and Expressive Iteration together is usually going to lose to a deck that is using Polukranos, World Eater or Anticipate in their intended roles.

Essentially, as your power band tightens, how many colors people play becomes dictated by how good they are at using the tools available to them in the Cube. It could be fewer colors or more colors, depending on what the environment can support. For example, good drafters in Kamigawa, Neon Dynasty, would often use the fixing in the set to play multicolor channel decks, despite the tight power band of the environment. Meanwhile, people drafting Throne of Eldraine would be more inclined to draft a very focused one or two-color strategy thanks to the worse fixing in the environment and the high power level of the CCCC Hybrids and Adamant cards.

landofMordor

Administrator
All I'm saying is: If you'd replace that above-rate powerful gold card supporting theme X with a monocolored card that's just as powerful and synergistic, that would probably bring more advantages than disadvantage for the draft experience.
Thanks for the reply; Train had a couple good follow-ups, so I only wanted to reply to this bit (emphasis mine).

At a sufficiently high power level and fixing density, it's simply not possible to find mono-color cards "just as powerful" as the gold cards. Young Pyromancer and Dark Confidant are maybe their colors' best 2-drops, but they're no Kroxa. Oblivion Ring is good, but it's no Prismatic Ending or Leyline Binding. Tarmogoyf might be better than Territorial Kavu, but the Kavu trumps all the other mono-{G} 2-drops.

But that doesn't mean that drafts devolve into straightforward "pick the best card" decisions, or that all the decks turn into 5-color nonsense. Even in a format with 3 cycles each of ABUR/fetchlands, you can't cast Uro and Kroxa in the same deck, and you have to draft and deckbuild around your lands as much as your spells. (Like I said earlier, in my opinion, that's a good thing, because it forces the FIRE-era nonsense to require some investment, even when there's not any risk in the cards' rules text.)

In other words, I have drafted my cube with heavy gold/fixing for 2+ years now, and I simply have not experienced the drawbacks you warn against. Indeed, heavy gold/fixing is more suited to my Cube design goals and my personal definition of fun than the intense mono-color paradigm I began my cube with. (I believe Train and blacksmithy also enjoy similar fixing paradigms, if they won't mind me speaking for them.)

in conclusion - most cube advice boils down to "make your cube more like mine" and, despite my best intentions, this has been no exception :)

in conclusion - most cube advice boils down to "make your cube more like mine" and, despite my best intentions, this has been no exception :)

Is that why I'm so bad at giving advice? Seems legit.

My full take on things is that I'm not terribly fond of having to draft fixing lands. It's more of a "feel" thing than anything else, but it boils down to the incentives not lining up just right.

There have been a few times where I've been drafting and I've run into a situation where all the fixing lands I've seen push me heavily towards, I dunno, {W}{U}, but where the {W/U} cards on offer didn't meaningfully congeal into anything (even in the context of, I dunno, being a Wx deck with a blue splash). So I'd end up having to pick between a {B/G} deck that was cool and synergistic (but had janky mana) or a boring, "these are the best cards I saw in these colors, I guess" {W/U} deck with smooth mana. And I personally don't feel like that's a fun/interesting decision, especially if the cube is aiming towards a "tight", high-power experience.

Because, you know, if your cube is based around people double-spelling all the time, stumbling on mana is going to be a death sentence.

That said... it could actually be kinda interesting to see a Duplicate Sealed pool with lopsided fixing in it. Maybe, I dunno, black is generally a "weak" color in the pool, but the fixing in the pool consists of: