General [Lucky Paper] The History of the Cube Format

You missed PT qualifications via Cube!

2012 MOCS I'm pretty sure didn't invite people to the PT - Butakov won and didn't attend any of the three PTs in the following year according to the final standings.

That means that Cory Lack (cjlack92) got the first one in 2013. (like we laughed about at the time in the link above.)
It was actually awful to find proof that the 2013 MOCS gave a PT invite as well (lol at the "TBD" seasons, which includes the Cube season)
...but I knew he didn't qualify for PT Journey Into Nyx any other way.

2014 had two Cube sealed events - one season championship and one LCQ - and the 2014 MOCS info page explicitly states that there's a PT invite for each winner. But one of the two Cube winners was Olle Rade (HoF class of 2005) so only Lucas Duchow, who won the holiday cube sealed LCQ that year, actually qualified for the PT by cube.

I didn't do the research on later years, but that might also be interesting, you could do "first and last people to qualify for PTs via Cube".

landofMordor

Administrator
This is a great catch... even though that old forum throws me for a complete loop.
2012 MOCS I'm pretty sure didn't invite people to the PT - Butakov won and didn't attend any of the three PTs in the following year according to the final standings.

That means that Cory Lack (cjlack92) got the first one in 2013. (like we laughed about at the time in the link above.)
It was actually awful to find proof that the 2013 MOCS gave a PT invite as well (lol at the "TBD" seasons, which includes the Cube season)
...but I knew he didn't qualify for PT Journey Into Nyx any other way.
Ah, excellent. Now I can get away with not knowing how to interpret that old forum.
2014 had two Cube sealed events - one season championship and one LCQ - and the 2014 MOCS info page explicitly states that there's a PT invite for each winner. But one of the two Cube winners was Olle Rade (HoF class of 2005) so only Lucas Duchow, who won the holiday cube sealed LCQ that year, actually qualified for the PT by cube.

I didn't do the research on later years, but that might also be interesting, you could do "first and last people to qualify for PTs via Cube".
Thanks!

Lovely article.

This article by Sam Gomersall was the one that prompted me to build my first cube back in 2005, and more importantly is the article Evan Erwin referenced in his article the following year that really blew the lid off cube drafting.

Sam was a really nice guy and the best player at the Games Club in London where I also played. I was aware of the cube because of people dropping from drafts and tournaments for a chance to play it, but never played myself.

Fun article!

I assume this article introduce me to the idea of drafting with cards I owned (as I drafted from a box remnants after tearing apart my 5-color decks in 2003): https://web.archive.org/web/2017060...eature/big-draft-box-big-box-draft-2002-08-14

The Toronto group may have turned on local pros to cubing sometime in the early 00s (as Rich Hoaen and Gabe Walls roomed at some point), but I don't remember them playing it to 2004-2005. At some point, I remember hearing they added a second set of busted cards, but then someone sold the power to pay rent :oops:

I don't recall curating a cube for myself prior to early 2010s. Locally, it seemed the MTGO cubes were the genesis of wider interest at the time.

I can't tell you enough how much I enjoyed this article, thanks for putting all the time to get it together. I still have no idea how I found Cube -- maybe the MTGS forums? But by at least 2013 I had a cube all rocked and ready and jumped on CubeTutor within a month of launch, and tried to dig backwards like you did here to understand the history of the format. I was not nearly this successful, and am grateful for the history to be codified by such a strong and stylish voice! Thank you Parker!!