General 2-player Sovereign's Realm cube?

Hey Riptide team,

I'm experimenting with ideas for a 2-player cube. One thought was to give each player an emblem akin to Sovereign's Realm: once per turn, the player can exile a card from their hand to play a basic land from outside the game. (No other funny business like a reduced starting hand size or basic lands tapping for any color mana.) This would let players play with a range of colors, so that the drafting wouldn't devolve into each person picking 2 colors and scooping them all up without competition. It also has the upside of eliminating mana screw/flood from the game, one of the worst aspects of Magic. The actual drafting mechanic would probably be Solomon or something similar.

I'd appreciate any theorycrafting about how to engineer such a cube. My big question is how the rule would alter the balance between control, midrange, and aggro. Would normal control cards be too powerful since the control player would never miss a land drop? Or would aggro be too powerful since it could draw nothing but gas after playing a few lands? Other theoretical musings are that cards with double mana symbols in the casting cost also become costlier to play, since using one means you're having to play a second land of that type instead of opening up another color. And narrower situational cards become more playable, since they can be chucked for a land if their prerequisites aren't met.

I'd appreciate any input!

Thanks,
K

Longtime lurker, but I've been experimenting with something similar. Basically I stole the mana-lands gameplay from Kaijudo/Duel Masters with some slight differences. Very similar to your idea but quick rundown. Discard a card from your hand, get a land that taps for the card's color. If the card is multicolored the land enters the battlefield tapped but can produce either color. Follows the same rule of only one land per turn (unless ramp) and there no lands in the deck now.
For me I had to lower the minimum deck size from 40 to 30 to make decks less durdly, if you're keeping lands in decks I wouldn't do this. (Or maybe a happy medium of 35? Definitely something to test)
Gameplay wise I love it. Fixes most mana issues, which my players had cuz they're newer and suck at making mana bases. Aggro and control roughly stay the same but you do have to be careful. All together decks get better so you need to make sure games don't end too fast or go on too long.
Issues with mana correspond with what you were thinking, if it's an issue, make custom cards which could just be making those cards have less strict casting costs.
In terms of building the cube, I love tricolor cards so I added awesome cards like Zacama, Primal Calamity but it all really depends on what type of Cube you want to build based on this new mechanic.
A difference between my mechanic and yours is that my cards go to the graveyard rather than exile, which some might say is too strong as now a card is able to be reanimate or recollect BUT now I can play The Mimeoplasm without the need for cards like entomb, buried alive, and discard outlets. There's lots of good resources on how to make Cubes and Cubes are an ever-morphing Mimeoplasm. Just remember that guides are guidelines.