General 2022 Standard Rotation Cube Retrospective [Lucky Paper]

landofMordor

Administrator
Our 2022 Cube Retrospective is here! I used Cube Cobra data and your past set survey results to analyze the long-term Cube impact of eight sets from ZNR-AFC (everything rotating from Standard, plus supplemental sets like MH2). Check out our results:

https://luckypaper.co/articles/2022-standard-rotation-cube-retrospective/

I'm curious -- what results most surprised you? Any cards you love that were overhyped by the broader Cube community? Any cards you overlooked that you'll give a second chance after seeing their increased play rates?

A great listen, like always!

I'm curious -- what results most surprised you? Any cards you love that were overhyped by the broader Cube community? Any cards you overlooked that you'll give a second chance after seeing their increased play rates?

I was happy to hear I wasn't the only one who likes Nested Shambler :D

I am very cautious personally, when it comes to cube changes, at least when the motivation is "these cards are new". Often I test just three cards or so that feel like absolute slam dunks and then maybe add more when they happen to fill a gap that became apperent or fulfil a role I want to be fulfilled.

Do you know what's weird to me about this data?

This card was the 23rd least tested card (as a percentage of responses) in any set from the sets in question. It was also the least tested mythic rare from any set. Skyclave Squid had more people testing it than Omnath.

It's kind of insane to me how few people initially played this card. When I've played with it in other people's Cubes it's been an absolute powerhouse, especially in decks that can power it out with Bring to Light.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, I was really confused by the wording on the +1. I thought the presence of a page counter was a condition of exiling the card, and not a consequence. "Exile up to one target nonland card from a graveyard and put a page counter on it" would for me be a bit more clear. Looking at the 'real' Tasha, it uses this wording.

Can't you see? The moon is in the Seventh House, and Jupiter aligns with Mars!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah I understand everything now :p

Thank you all for your lengthy explanations as to my comment about how we see custom cards in almost every thread these days :p

so in the 60s or 70s in the USA hippie craze, one of the terms bandied about was “age of Aquarius” which, like a lot of new age nonsense, had various vague meanings, one of which was “an age of peace and enlightenment.” that’s the main lyric of that song.
my comment is that custom cards in every thread is the dawning of such an age within the cube community

so in the 60s or 70s in the USA hippie craze, one of the terms bandied about was “age of Aquarius” which, like a lot of new age nonsense, had various vague meanings, one of which was “an age of peace and enlightenment.” that’s the main lyric of that song.
my comment is that custom cards in every thread is the dawning of such an age within the cube community
Custom Cards: Peace in our time.