Sets [2XM] Double Masters Spoilers

Only one new card in the set and it sucks hard my friends:

crypticspires.jpg

This is the least elegant way to make this card humanly possible, which is awful because it'd be an easy inclusion in my card in literally any other scenario.

Also! We have new art! Here are the new arts revealed so far that I believe are exciting upgrades to existing versions:
2x2-363-seasoned-pyromancer.jpg2x2-359-chaos-warp.jpg2x2-376-dragonlord-dromoka.jpg

Of these three, I currently only run Seasoned Pyromancer, but this is an absolute delight. As I've mentioned elsewhere in this forum, my preference is actually for standard borders in most circumstances, and I prefer the one-off borders to extended or full-art cards unless the art is dramatically better, but I think that's the case here. I'm obsessed with the Kaledesh flavor, the intensity of the fire, the confidence and poise of the pyromancer -- he's a beast in his own right! I wish Young Pyromancer, one of my favorite cards mechanically, would get similar treatment....how many reprints have we gotten of Young P without any art variations? I can't stand the standard art for that one.

I'm including the other two because I adore Phil Foglio and Richard Kane Ferguson. Delightful pieces that reflect the cards exceptionally well.

Lastly, I avoid foils where I can, but depending on how this new format of foils turns out, I may be interested in some of the following:

2x2-443-oona-s-prowler.jpg2x2-439-imperial-seal.jpg

I'm a big fan of the white text promos / Planar Chaos-ish alternative color / formatting for cards, and these look great, even if I prefer original printing in most circumstances. We'll have to see if I can handle the foil here, but I'm keeping an eye on these.

What are y'all excited about for this set?

I think a lot of the new art is really good. The new frame is also cool.

Full art bouncelands is kind of sweet. Feels like WotC did that for us lol.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Considering I try to get everything in the most recent regular border, and I always avoid special frames, sets like this are a deep dive in sidegrades for me.

Now with flavor bar!

New border, updated wording, and yes, flavor bar! Very excited for this reprint! :D

Updated wording, now targets "any target"! Need I mention the flavor bar?

Interestingly, this card already had a flavor bar, since it's from Dominaria, the set where they introduced that feature, but they completely reworded the main ability! The new wording already was featured on the Commander Legends reprint, but that was only available in an alternate frame, and thus not one I had wanted to pick up for my cube.

Welcome flavor bar and non-awkward artwork!

Curious to see what the rest of the set will bring.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I actually like the full art bouncelands less? Love the Frame, but I feel like the actual art is a downgrade.

These are sweet though:
1655764435117.png1655764452049.png1655764465409.png1655764482231.png
The non-english cards are Anger of the Gods and Crucible of Worlds respectively.

Also just in case anyone hasn't seen this GORGEOUS art:
1655764544920.png
Yeah this one I'm leaving big. Go Julie!
Me and Bootman have been a big fan of this artist for a while, featured on several of our customs

Edit: Found the Highres on twitter. BASK IN THE GLORY:

Thank you @MilesOfficial for creating this thread

In my personal taste... these reprint sets do nothing for me...

Updated wording, flavor bar and new art IS interesting. But the downside is the set logo. For me it feels like Oona's Prowler is on Lorwyn when the set logo is original Lorwyn. When the set logo isn't canon, it feels like a poster on a wall. Or a digital card. Or a way for Wizards to make money without putting in much work.

I kind of wish I didn't feel this way because sometimes new art is an improvement.

There are exceptions to my feeling:

1.When a card is reprinted in another canon set like when Thoughtseize was first printed in Lorwyn and later reprinted in Theros. For me this feels good because the Thoughtseize is actually on a lore-existing plane called Theros. See it here:
https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=released&q=!"Thoughtseize"+include:extras&unique=prints

2. The super expensive promo versions that also has a certain flavor to them. We had some artifacts that were on exhibition at the Inventors' Fair on Kaladesh. Those artifacts were stolen by Tezzeret who was the head judge at the fair. We had some invocations from Amonkhet. Here is an example:
https://scryfall.com/card/mps/13/hangarback-walker

3. The Ravnica Guild Kit where the set logo was adaptations of the Guild logos. See an example here:
https://scryfall.com/card/gk2/108/cloudfin-raptor

4. The one masters set (Masters 25 to celebrate Magic's 25'th birthday in 2018) where they put the original set logo as a watermark. Link here:
https://scryfall.com/sets/a25

4. Some few sets that purposely planeswalks a location/character to a different plane. Like when they took Eventide's Flooded Grove and put it on Zendikar. Like here:
https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=released&q=!"Flooded+Grove"+include:extras&unique=prints
Or when they took Ravnica's Godless Shrine and put it on the abandoned Amonkhet. Like here:
https://scryfall.com/search?q=godless+shrine&unique=prints&as=grid&order=released

I know no one asked for my opinion :p But here it is anyways lol

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more about how delightful the aesthetic is with the flavor bar, @Onderzeeboot, but I'm actually with @Velrun on a strong preference for the OG printing in most circumstances, with many of the same exceptions listed! I've dropped money I really have no business spending "upgrading" Modern Masters versions of cards, which have always feel like bootleg copies to me, even ignoring their weird saturation and texture. I also like to be able to organize my cube by set on CubeCobra, but with things like Secret Lair and the Timespiral/Modern Masters 2 Classic Frame treatment, my cube's now got the wrong set symbol far too often. It's a trade-off I'm still contending with!

A great example of this is that I love the "snow" effect on the Coldsteel Heart but I could never bear to replace the one with the Coldsnap symbol -- it was my first expansion!!

I also like to be able to organize my cube by set on CubeCobra, but with things like Secret Lair and the Timespiral/Modern Masters 2 Classic Frame treatment, my cube's now got the wrong set symbol far too often. It's a trade-off I'm still contending with!
What you could do is have the original version of the card listed as the version in your Cube on Cubecobra, but then upload the scryfall image of the version you actually own. Unlike Cubetutor, Cubecobra will let you upload your own card images without needing to donate money.

What you could do is have the original version of the card listed as the version in your Cube on Cubecobra, but then upload the scryfall image of the version you actually own. Unlike Cubetutor, Cubecobra will let you upload your own card images without needing to donate money.
When was the last time you checked in on Cube Tutor?

It's been permanently offline since November 1'st last year :)

My solution is just to have a clone of my cube that pulls just the first printing of all cards, but it doesn't address the emotional distress I have of figuring out if I want to represent these important Magic cards with the historical art I'm eternally bonded to or the sexy new arts and treatments they keep rolling out!!

When was the last time you checked in on Cube Tutor?

It's been permanently offline since November 1'st last year :)
Every time I type the word "Cube" into my browser, it will autofill to Cubetutor, so I've seen the offline message a few times at this point. Never forget.

I was simply pointing out that Cobra doesn't require payment for something that Tutor had behind a paywall.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
This is a pretty nice way of preserving the original set information, though.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Can you elaborate? I don't understand this one.
Train says add the card from the original set to your Cube Cobra list, regardless of which version you are actually running in your cube, e.g. Zur the Enchanter from Coldsnap. Next, upload the image of the actual card you are using in your cube to an image hoster, e.g. Zur the Enchanter from Commander Legends. Finally, edit the Image URL in the details of the Zur the Enchanter in your Cube Cobra list so that it shows your uploaded image. Now your Cube Cobra list and stats count your Zur as a Coldsnap card, but while looking at the visual spoiler or drafting your cube, you're seeing the Commander Legends art!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Now how do we search for new flavor bar line? :p
You would need to intersect two searches to do that (e.g. searchfor all cards that appear both in 2x2 and in sets that were last printed before Dominaria), and I don't think you can do that.