General Actual contest: Design a 360 card cube with 100 unique cards

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
It's been a good while since we had a design contest. This idea started as a shitpost I wanted to leave as a YouTube comment reply about our Portuguese sister site, but the longer I thought about it the more it intrigued me. How do you tackle it? Super gluey? Bluffy and combat tricky? Are certain cards singleton?

Would you enjoy this as a contest idea?

The Rules:
1) Deadline is June 16th. Entries will be discussed in a video / stream I make, followed by a public vote (possibly on a selected shortlist, depending on number of submissions).
2) Prize: 25 USD or regional equivalent via PayPal, and a custom forum title of your choosing (within reason) for 1 year (365 days)
3) Submissions must be a cubecobra link in this thread. I suggest you put some thought into your naming, primer, etc.
4) All entries must be exactly 100 unique cards and 360 total cards. I won't count, but, maybe somebody else will!
5) No custom cards, but no restrictions beyond that. The structure is up to you, you can get as conceptual or as pragmatic as you like.

Last edited:
tringleton spells, quadgleton lands
Excuse me, the word is quadringlton which is followed by quingleton. /s

I'd probably structure it similarly to a retail draft format--20 singleton rares, 20 uncommons in triplicate, 49 commons at quingleton and then literally 35 copies of Evolving Wilds with the ETB tapped crossed out or something like that for fixing. Maybe 35 Prismatic Vista or Fabled Passage? Actually, maybe I do 48 commons and then dodecingleton each of two lands, or a 10/30 split of the Vista and the Passage.

...this is starting to sound like a legit format. Damn. The hassle would be making the packs, probably.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, you guys seem excited. I'm excited to see what you come up with. Rules are now in the updated first post. This is happening.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
What are you looking for in the primer?
What's clever about your design. I don't know, it has to be enticing somehow, if I'm looking at 10 cubes that's already kind of an exhausting task. Make me and the voters excited with your primer, stand out above the rest. A list of 360 cards is pretty inaccessible, even if it's full of duplicates. Your primer is a way to make a good first impression, to make the reader care about the list itself.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
can i submit with the caveat i dont want to win ? i'm just interested in doing it for fun haha
Sure!

EDIT: Do you want to be in the voting or not at all? Because we could put you in the voting and if you win, give the prize to #2. Alternatively you can submit, have it discussed, and not voted on at all. I'm fine with your choice either way.

Last edited:
I am very surprised custom cards are allowed.
Looking into my first idea for a design, I feel really smothered by the freedom customs allow. Seems like you won't be able to do nearly as much as someone with customs. The challenge should be based on utilizing cards in an interesting way, not designing whatever you want to satisfy the conditions.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Looking into my first idea for a design, I feel really smothered by the freedom customs allow. Seems like you won't be able to do nearly as much as someone with customs. The challenge should be based on utilizing cards in an interesting way, not designing whatever you want to satisfy the conditions.
New rule: Maximum 1 custom card.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm, well I don't want people to not love it. Let's open it up, would people rather have customs allowed or not allowed?

It could be me approaching it as something it isn't. Maybe it's not as much of a thought experiment to everyone else.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I would do it without custom cards. As much as I love them, I think you want this contest to be about the puzzle of constructing a 360 cube with 100 different cards, and not about who designed the coolest customs cards.

If you want a thought experiment, allow customs. They are more than 10 times more thought-demanding than regular cards.

However I would make the contest without customs. I see no real benefit in having customs.

I am writing as a person who has a vast experience both with and without. Thus I feel like my opinion matters.