Card/Deck Aetherling

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
vhlr9buvxs_EN.jpg

Nathan Weizenbaum said:
I like this card a lot. It hits my nostalgia for Morphling right on the nose, while feeling like much more of a modern card.
That said, I think it's pretty low-power for a six drop blue creature relative to cube (or seven-drop, if you want to hold up flicker mana). Once it's resolved, it doesn't do a lot to stabilize you... it's tough to kill, but it only stops one non-evasive creature. Ultimately it's just good at attacking for 8 unblockable damage, which is fine, but does cost five mana every turn.
For my part I'd rather include Deadeye Navigator in a low-absolute-power, high-synergy, high-sweetness slot around this mana cost.

Eric Chan said:
Man. This thing is no joke.
Is it just stone irremovable, or...? (That's a real word. I looked it up.)
I'm not sure of its cube implications, because blue has some pretty powerful six-drops already. But its flexibility is appealing. I'd like to think that Sphinx of Jwar Isle has been put on notice.

Hannes Vermissen said:
I hate this card in that it reduces decision points. The better choice is almost always to protect your Aetherling when stuff goes wrong.
removal, wrath, combat. this guy takes it all. He even does vigilance on his off time. so for keeping two mana untapped, you get incremental and endless value.
the only pro is that he costs 7, maybe even 8 mana to cast.

Christopher Morris-Lent said:
i strongly agree with nathan that deadeye is better for this kind of functionality. i don't like AEtherling at all.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Hannes, I suspect you overstate the simplicity of the card. If you have no other cards or ways to spend your mana, then perhaps. However, you do have to decide whether to cast it with mana open or not.

Perhaps the difference in opinion can be attributed to the much slower nature of your environment. Getting to 7 mana is no minor feat, and even an indestructible hexproof non-evasive 4/5 wouldn't be a very big prize. Obviously this guy does more than that, but the lack of any ETB effect or flying is a serious knock against his power level.

Not to mention that on defense Aetherling is really not very good. A Doom Blade at his face and he has to blink out for the rest of the turn.

A Doom Blade at his face and he has to blink out for the rest of the turn.

Still, that Doom Blade would have killed most other blue beaters.

Perhaps the difference in opinion can be attributed to the much slower nature of your environment.

I do suspect this to be the main reason i value him differently. I guess we can conclude after yesterday's grid that even the big dragon Keiga can get reduced to a utility creature when playing my cube. He also strongly reminds me of the grand set of '-lings' (wich he should do) and the "problematic" Thornling-mishap in my cube.

I'm gonna re-evaluate the card, but i'll stay wary of it. It's a card that would be on a really tight leash if i ever add it to my list.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, if we're looking at the top end of the blue scale, the competition is:
Consecrated Sphinx
Sphinx of Jwar Isle
Frost Titan

Sphinx of Jwar Isle is thoroughly unexciting, but being un-targetable is often the kind of reliability that you need in a finisher. Frost Titan was never really great except for a two-week period in Standard (all the Titans had their day in the sun somehow). Aetherling doesn't hit any of my personal nostalgia chords, but I can see it being potentially fun to play with. You cited them as negatives, but many of the interactions seem fun. Blinking a creature for the turn and board wiping while it's in exile is precisely what made Venser, the Sojourner so much fun in standard. Blink your Sun Titan, cast Day of Judgment, destroy your Wall of Omens, Sun Titan returns bringing back Wall of Omens...

For my environment i currently value frost titan as being perfectly on-track. (only need to acquire one. They seem to have disappeared along with their standard presence)

As for Aetherling Whith sweeps: Beastly strong in my opinion. I prefer the Venser way for it needs an additional card. In the end i'll have to conclude I do not like Aetherling, but the general audience and my environment might. Once it's out, i'll have to look for a copy and just give it a try to be able to value it firsthanded

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
The more I think about Aetherling, the more I like him. He seems interesting in all the right ways, and powerful, but not in a dominating, unfun way. I mean, right off the bat, you get to make a decision when casting him: as soon as you hit 6 mana, or wait until you reach 7?

He's not the greatest blocker in the world, and you need to make sure you can afford his monthly installments, but I think he's a lot less boring than something like Sphinx of Jwar Isle. Hey, you might not attack for 8 unblocked damage every turn - you might only crash in for the 4, and then blink him out so he can play some D. I like that he's a versatile switch-hitter that can do a couple of things well.

And hey, he's got to be better than Thornling. Right?

Frost Titan has been really good for us in our cube. Even as the runt of the Titan family, he has a pretty game-changing effect when he hits the table. It's not insignificant that in a Titan-on-Titan battle, he almost always comes out ahead.

CML

Contributor
jason: 6cmc blue dudes: frost titan, keiga, deadeye

though i love sphinxes in general i think jwarjwar is kinda lame and consecrated is really frustrating to play against

edit: aetherling is terrible. it's a slight update on morphling but it drags it from 1999 only to like 2006 or so. even lone revenant is better

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
My blue 6's are

Draining Whelk
Arcanis the Omnipotent
Deadeye Navigator
Nucklavee

And Sphinx of Uthuun in the 7 slot. Actually I think it's about time to cut a blue finisher, since 5 already contains Meloku and Teferi, which is quite enough. The choice must be Arcanis, but I can't bring myself to get rid of him :C. He actually pulls his weight, I think he's really sweet.

The only one of these cards that's been mentioned in this thread is Deadeye, and he is awesome. People try to make flicker decks in my cube, and they're pretty great. I try to have as many ETB effects as possible, and Deadeye can be tapping all your opponents lands every turn (or just destroying them), drawing cards, bouncing stuff, countering stuff, or even just being hard to kill. He's sweet. And if you get to pair him with Sphinx you get to deck yourself!

Actually all these top end guys have been both great and great fun, though I think my cube is a lotleth powerful than most.

CML

Contributor
I like Frost Titan and Tidespout Tyrant. kinda boring i know sorry

i am interested in some talk about nucky thompson

Chris Taylor

Contributor
It depends on what it's on. There has to be a way to deal with control finishers, and shroud removes one of those avenues.
Jar Jar sphinx you can sometimes win by just feeding creatures to it so all your other guys get through, but not always.
I just like there to be more options is all.
Frost Titan and Jetting Glasskite are some of my favorite resiliant blue win conditions ever, I just wish glasskite was better :p

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Frost Titan's "shroud" is so irrelevant by the time either player is at 6 mana. Especially considering the cost of cube removal. I guess it does protect him from death by Goblin Bombardment and Zealous Conscripts.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I've definitely seen times where the player couldn't pulse him, and a few more where they couldn't cast both their removal spell and the other spell they needed to.
I admit, it'd be much sweeter on a smaller creature.
Hmmm..... Kira 2.0 maybe?

CML

Contributor
nahhhh its not irrelevant. sometimes you can even fish him outta the yard (my sphinx dredge brings all the boys to the 'yard)

I like that he makes removing him similarly expensive to what you payed to play him.

I don't mind shroud because cubes tend to have outs. I get the feeling that if you can't beat a sphinx your deck was probably not as good as the sphinx guy'z one.

Lets get back to talking about how great palinchron is.