Sets Amonkhet (AKH) Spoilers

a7f3113cc0524f1cb34b44adc68caaed

ab83a862e78844259ff803d8220f4e26
Looks like three early promos. Exert is a new mechanic with no reminder text apparently, though parallels with 4 damage from a 4cmc may mean just paying the cost again on attack for the effect? Not sure.

Also, cycling looks to be back! That demon is pretty neat.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe if you exert it, it doesn't untap the next turn.

(Also, it appears to be 5 cmc.)

Oracle's Vault is cool top of library manipulation synergy, but it appears to be fairly slow...

Archfiend of Ifnir is weidly worded.
1. Why mention cycling when cycling is already discard?
2. Why mention another creature when it's not on the battlefield while being discarded (or cycled)?

Perhaps it's a NWO (again) where new players need more help understanding cards.

I like all of those cards! I appreciate a card with cycling that is actually efficiently costed lol. And the fact that the arch fiend synergizes with discard as well really is a cherry on top. You can like, collective brutality fully escalated, and kill their beefcake with the -2/-2 helping. And the effect is with -1/-1 counters... geez.

Arch fiend is likely worded that way because cards can have abilities when you cycle themselves, so I guess it's just to ensure less confusion.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Archfiend of Ifnir is weidly worded.
1. Why mention cycling when cycling is already discard?
2. Why mention another creature when it's not on the battlefield while being discarded (or cycled)?

Perhaps it's a NWO (again) where new players need more help understanding cards.

I think mentioning cycling is good, in terms of being explicit. If it hadn't, I might not have made the connection.

That archfiend is awesome! I love how it itself has cycling. In fact, the flexibility of being a great early play while also being a reasonable reanimation target is my favorite thing about this card. It won't go in my power cube, but it's kinda like the doomwake giant of madness. I will certainly test it in my current lower power project.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Some more through explinations are on the mothership:
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/so-much-amonkhet-news-2017-03-27Interesting. Enbalm is unearth but a permanent token rather than the oneshot haste etc we know. Also it becomes a white zombie? eh why not.

There's also some new things up on mythic spoiler. It's all limited C to C- type stuff, but this guy is new, at least:
dunebeetle.jpg

And I look forward to killing people with "The Fastball Special"
fling.jpg

"whenever you/player/opponent discards / draws a card" triggers for cycling play pretty well in my experience, i had a custom cube that i had playtested a decent amount with the mechanic in concert w cycling

After 8 years cycling is finally back!!!

Hopefully they won't be too shy about using it and we get lots of playable cube cards. That archfiend seems like a great start. Really wish they'd just make it evergreen, though.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
You notice that card makes black zombies :p

Kinda odd that the embalmed cards loses its old colors, but keeps it's old creature types.

Ie a blue merfolk when embalmed will be a Mono white, but it'll be a merfolk zombie.
Also I'm not really getting why they become white. Is this because mummy wrappings are white in color? :p

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
You notice that card makes black zombies :p

Kinda odd that the embalmed cards loses its old colors, but keeps it's old creature types.

Ie a blue merfolk when embalmed will be a Mono white, but it'll be a merfolk zombie.
Also I'm not really getting why they become white. Is this because mummy wrappings are white in color? :p

It's explained in the preview article actually (emphasis mine).

"To activate an embalm ability, simply pay the embalm cost and exile the card. You do this any time you could cast a sorcery, meaning during your main phase when nothing else is happening. When the ability resolves, you create a token copy of the card, but as you'd expect, going through the process of mummification causes some changes. It's got that whole undead thing going on, so it's a Zombie in addition to whatever creature types it used to have. You'll find lots of ways to take advantage of its new Zombiehood, I'm sure. And now that it's all service, all the time and doesn't care about whatever it was it cared about while alive, it's white instead of whatever color it used to be. One more minor change is that it doesn't have the mana cost the card has."

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I guess? Maybe I'll warm up to this with time.

Man that article needs some editing :p A few line breaks really woulda helped clarify this :p

Yes, Jason:

"Exert allows creatures to give a little more effort to produce unusually good results.
You make the decision whether to exert a creature as you declare it as an attacker. If you choose to have it exert, an ability will trigger and grant you some bonus. As a trade-off, the creature won't untap during your next turn. It's tired. Needs a nap. Attack more later.
You don't have to exert the creature as it attacks. If you don't, no ability will trigger, and it will untap normal during your next turn. Note that as you declare attackers is the only time you can have it exert. You can't wait until later in the turn and then exert it. When your next untap step rolls around, if the creature you exerted is untapped, nothing happens and the exertion cost you nothing. Maybe you found a different way to untap it, or maybe you gave it vigilance. You are clever!"

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/so-much-amonkhet-news-2017-03-27