fadd5e4b-9833-4564-a7d2-3ac1364f40d5.jpg
c5a93b1c-51aa-483c-b33b-76b5a74a067d.jpg

a34ef351-2864-42f6-8943-75bb6fffc9f7.jpg
11f87b5c-78b4-443c-ad92-f37bb62d0bbe.jpg
6cab2ebd-6ab7-4273-bda3-d7dea81b52c3.jpg

f2d28477-8be1-4caf-8185-64f47905ccb1.jpg
2c4be2d6-d168-4e67-8d75-a04f637b56dd.jpg
65181db5-3fc5-497b-ba61-385efdf740ed.jpg

I have a passion for basic lands, especially in old frame. :)

BIG DAY over here! :p Came into a little extra $ so I finally took the plunge and..

50x each
NewLands.jpg
+20x
NewWastes.jpg
I hope they'll find a way to have some future Eldrazi crisis on Dominaria so we can get a stained-glass Wastes too.

I was rocking some (imo) really nice Portal & Portal 2 lands before this. I will always love these but I think these Dominaria ones look so sweet and I love the visual consistency. Just nice to look at.

1677943463730.png1677943483369.png1677943520634.png1677943551310.png1677943571026.png1677945057648.png

The first one stylistically looks like the remnants of a skyship like the Predator and the Weatherlight, but I can't be sure of the rest. My best guess is that it's the Predator, which crashed into the Cabal Stronghold at the end of its arc. However, there are other things in the background, so maybe it's something else. I don't know whether the ships were considered Thran technology or not, but they definitely used elements of Thran tech. Good questions!

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I need some lore masters to help me out here
Oh boy, I have good news for you! Do you know about the Scryfall tagger project? You can open the Tagger page for any given card in Scryfall from the Toolbox menu in the bottom left.

The Island depicts Arcavios, surprisingly. I would have also bet on Kamigawa!
The Swamp depicts Eldraine.
The Mountain depicts Kaladesh, which you can tell by the swirling clouds and curvy mountains.

The first Swamp in your post has the tag "phyrexian ruin". I'm guessing these are wrecked invasion ships then? Less sure about that one though.

Here we are having a nice discussion and then you come along and ruin it with the truth... :p That is some pro information right there!

I thought about Kaladesh for the Mountain but I couldn't find any other Mountain with the same swirly rocks.
Here are the Kaladesh Mountains
Kaladesh Mountains.jpg

I guess the first one 261 has a little bit of the swirls.

Yeah Eldraine for the Swamp seems exactly right. I didn't think of that!

The Island being Arcavios is really surprising to me also. It doesn't EXACTLY look like Kamitaki (Waterfall close to Minamo) but I thought it was the modern updated version. Here are the original ones.

Kamigawa Islands.jpg

Thank you @Zoss and @Onderzeeboot

I recently completed my basic lands set, I've got 30 of each of these:
It's a shame Veronique Meignaud doesn't get commissioned all that often, her lands are incredible.
Hey, you use 4/5 of the same Zendikar lands I do! I never bragposted this here when I finished two years ago, finally just bit the bullet and paid far too much for the islands:
B5DZ2zf.jpeg

since then I've un-Japanesed the rest of my cube but you can take kitty mountain from my cold dead hands (I assume 山 is supposed to look like a mountain, but the two little guide characters over it just make my brain see ":3" so since I can't read Japanese it's absolutely a cat)

Hey, you use 4/5 of the same Zendikar lands I do! I never bragposted this here when I finished two years ago, finally just bit the bullet and paid far too much for the islands:
B5DZ2zf.jpeg

since then I've un-Japanesed the rest of my cube but you can take kitty mountain from my cold dead hands (I assume 山 is supposed to look like a mountain, but the two little guide characters over it just make my brain see ":3" so since I can't read Japanese it's absolutely a cat)

Yeah I'm about halfway there with foiling out the various basics, that's become my mini cube goal after I finished foiling out my main cube over the last year. Those Islands and Forests are my favorite arts by far but man do they add up over time haha. But then again I've always enjoyed the "hunt" of collecting across various hobbies so whenever I'm able to pick up another one it feels like a small accomplishment. I pick up cards for EDH and cube roughly every 2-3 months so tacking on a few to the order here and there has made it a little easier over time. I'd say I'm a third of the way through for Islands and Forests, halfway through with Mountains (BFZ reprint helped a ton), and just 3-4 into the Plains.

Unfortunately the full art swamp arts were mostly unimpressive to me from the original ZEN run so I went with the Bradley Swamp from BFZ for a few years until I had to replace them on principle once his stuff got out there. Wasn't until ZNR that I saw a suitable replacement with the Burley swamp with green hues that I was pretty fond of:

1685976992741.png

Luckily these were dirt cheap so I picked up 30 foils in one go for like $18ish.

Basics are one thing I really enjoy customizing across various formats. For Modern I've got a set of the Unglued Basics handy for whatever I might run, in EDH I'll get picky with Theros Beyond Death full arts for my Karametra, God of Harvests or the Rakdos Guild promo basics in my Tymaret, the Murder King, and finally I've got the Neon Dynasty Japanese Full arts for my draft kit.

Was inspired to refresh my basics. I've gone with handful of basics from Scars of Mirrodin Block, Mirrodin, Champions of Kamigawa, and Shadowmoor. I really like the art of that era of MTG. Currently I'm using an assortment of full art lands from the most recent releases but something in me wants to move back to... basics.

Was inspired to refresh my basics. I've gone with handful of basics from Scars of Mirrodin Block, Mirrodin, Champions of Kamigawa, and Shadowmoor. I really like the art of that era of MTG. Currently I'm using an assortment of full art lands from the most recent releases but something in me wants to move back to... basics.

Do it!

But keep the ones you use now. In case you regret the switch, gets bored by the old ones or simply wants to spice things up.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
B5DZ2zf.jpeg

I think these are the exact lands I use.

I've been procrastinating on finishing my big essay about my basic land box for nearly a year now, but since I do want to share it, I'm going to just do so and briefly spell out my philosophy:

My Land Box (CubeCobra)

Goals:​

1. Maintain the spirit of my cube experience with the basic lands.
This means that, like my cube, the land box is singleton, reflects the passions and interests of my playgroup, and prioritizes fun and accessibility...within reason. Capturing singleton is easy enough, and allows the next goal to be more easily achieved as well, but things like focusing on accessibility calls for avoiding basic lands that don't look like the type they say they are like the very green Lord of the Rings map lands, the infamous red Kamigawa "swamp", or most of the black-and-white basics. Even full-arts can be misleading at times if you're not careful with them -- the big mana symbols are quite handy!!

2. Represent the breadth of Magic as a game and its history.
The singleton nature of this land box does the heavy lifting for achieving this goal, but I also want to show off as many eras as possible here, even if I wasn't as much a fan of the art direction of the game at various times. 23% of all basics printed were originally in the classic border, and without consciously letting that affect my picks, my land box is at 24%. Feels good!

Every player has different preferences, and while I'm clearly not a Zendikar Respecter here (nor do I cow-tow to those people), I have quite a lot of lands that I may not personally prefer because I see many of my drafters go straight for certain types of lands first, like the Tron basics.

Part of this also means staying true to what Magic is, even when the game itself does not do so. While the meme about Islands that aren't Islands is valid, it's also important to recognize that there's only so far that a structuralist approach will take you. However, there are plenty of Islands that don't evoke the feeling of an Island, and to me, if it doesn't look like a blue mage could legitimately draw power from that coast line, it has little place in my cube.

3. Maximize the volume of high-quality artwork.
Easier said than done when, to make a 300-card land box, you're choosing less than the top 10% of each land type. It shouldn't be a shock here that it's extremely hard to do this if you want to be honest with yourself and I'm constantly changing out cards as a result.

Still have to make a few changes for LotR now that I've got those basics on-hand, but looking at new basics is one of my favorite parts of a new set, and I can't wait to put out the full version of this overview or share my long-form article on "The State of Basic Lands" as part of Magic's 30th anniversary celebration this summer.

As a note, I'm in love with @Velrun's basic land box, which has a similar approach to mine but has taken 10x the work, care, and curation.

An old rough draft of my larger article, plus my top 12 basics of each type, are currently sitting with cobwebs on the CubeCobra overview, if you'd like to view that.

Still have to make a few changes for LotR now that I've got those basics on-hand, but looking at new basics is one of my favorite parts of a new set, and I can't wait to put out the full version of this overview or share my long-form article on "The State of Basic Lands" as part of Magic's 30th anniversary celebration this summer.

As a note, I'm in love with @Velrun's basic land box, which has a similar approach to mine but has taken 10x the work, care, and curation.
Thank you Miles! <3 For what it's worth I also really like your choices and the way you structure your Basic land box!!

My LotR altered Basic lands are suddenly more topical than ever before :) They were made more than 10 years ago now.

Last edited: