Sets Battle for Zendikar Spoilers

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
kicking it off

EN_jkt2vsve7u.png

Is this the new Annihilator? It's kinda cool. Exile 4 lands off the top of your library, play land for turn, hit you with my 10/11 Steppe Lynx. GOTTEM.

I'd have to agree! It supports Landfall shenanigans (I'm still on the Steppe Lynx train), ramps, is a gentle mill support card, has a solid body, and is a nice, colourless fatty. Personally, I always found Annihilator too miserable to allow in my Cube. And that's coming from someone who loves Mill and Land Destruction and is always looking for new angles to expand both strategies. It just doesn't feel fun to use or to face against; it feels pointlessly overpowered and too thoughtless. I think I'd rather just lunge across the table and attack my opponent with a grapefruit spoon.

Let's not forget that this is the Duel Deck face card for the Fall set. They haven't always been the best cards to represent the set. I like that they're exploring different mechanics to represent the Eldrazi, this exile from library seems pretty cool. I'm interested in seeing the more pushed designs that they've come up with for the set.

I just noticed this is a mythic. When I first saw it spoiled I thought it was an uncommon or something.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Also, it synergizes with JTMS from the original Zendikar. Fateseal to put a non-land card on the bottom, then cast this guy to marginally increase your expected hit rate.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I will say, I like this approach to Eldrazi design much better. Reasonable CMC, isn't a "remove or die" check. I am sure the bigger ones will be different, but I like the new direction.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Well, it does do something unique and weird, if not powerful

Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver into this looks quite nasty :)

I'd have to agree! It supports Landfall shenanigans (I'm still on the Steppe Lynx train), ramps, is a gentle mill support card, has a solid body, and is a nice, colourless fatty. Personally, I always found Annihilator too miserable to allow in my Cube. And that's coming from someone who loves Mill and Land Destruction and is always looking for new angles to expand both strategies. It just doesn't feel fun to use or to face against; it feels pointlessly overpowered and too thoughtless. I think I'd rather just lunge across the table and attack my opponent with a grapefruit spoon.

Also... Who in his right mind puts this into the same deck as Steppe Lynx?

Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver into this looks quite nasty :)

Also... Who in his right mind puts this into the same deck as Steppe Lynx?

Hi hello yes I'd do that

Over here, Lynx is typically a Selesnya land-ramp early threat that becomes a midrange transitional beater. She shows up as something that can punch in early and then go off with the help of things like Fetch lands, Harrow, and Knight of the Reliquary on later turns. She's just as relevant as any other generic 2/x that aggro plays, except she has a bigger booty and can grow bigger much more easily, forcing unpleasant blocks as the life totals trend downwards. I draft my decks flexibly over here, because my format is faster than most; you can't just midrange without using some early drops that aren't mana dorks all the time, and you can have an aggro strategy that utilizes bigger cmc things. If the pieces fall together correctly, it wouldn't be unreasonable to drop this regularly on T4-5 and fatten up some Lynxes at the same time to punch in pretty hard. Green-linked decks always have more generous reach into the bigger creatures, and I see no reason to pass on any potential beneficial card to a deck because of some idea that Lynx is only good in the earliest of turns. You can dig out a lot of extra value from that card if you're fetching and Reliquary shredding lands and such, and transitioning into the midgame with a 6-drop you can easily cast T4-5 in a green-linked deck while relying on land strats to keep a 1-drop somewhere between a 2/3~4/5~6/7 seems sensible to me.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Do you have a sample lynx deck I could see? Sounds intetesting. I vaguely remember drafting similar sounding decks back in the day, but feeling lynx was the worst part of it.