General big games, small games and you

I just re-read Sam's article and... I love that he raised the topic to discuss, but I feel like it was literally mostly talking specifically about Elvish Visionary VS Elderfang Disciple. Parker's post is much more informative for format design purposes.

One thing @landofMordor mentioned in my cube's thread is that bombs are better in small games as compared to big games. I don't follow why, could you explain?

I think the idea is that big games tend to make individual plays less impactful as a side effect of you having plentiful resources.

Dropping a Baneslayer Angel onto an empty board while villain is empty-handed is going to be way more impactful than playing Baneslayer Angel and having it get chump blocked by a bunch of Spirit tokens or immediately eat a Doom Blade from villain's full hand of cards.

I see a lot of information about small games around the forums, which I do enjoy, but wanted to talk about big games for a few reasons:
1. They correspond to my format (multiplayer FFA cube)
2. They tend to favor synergy driven environments

In big games, players have more cards/resources at their disposal
Synergies are usually about assembling pieces of an engine on board or in hand. So naturally, seeing more cards or having more mana let's you get the right combinations more easily.

ramp decks generally want big games because they need a large number of total resources to cast their expensive spells, and they vote for large games by minimizing the number of removal/interactive spells in their decks.
In this example, he is talking about ramp decks, but I think that the same is true of synergy decks, except that instead of casting expensive spells, they are amassing and deploying engine pieces.
Either way, the take away here is:

Less interaction -> more game objects available -> bigger games.

It’s more likely that, during a battlefield stall, both players will be able to play all of their cards, and ultimately, the player who can do the most powerful thing, which is generally the player with more expensive cards, but sometimes the player with better synergy or a plan better-suited to a big game, will win.
Expensive cards or synergies take over a game in case of a stall.

Because large battlefields tend to result in standoffs, evasion is a priority in these kinds of games. Further, any kind of Glorious Anthem, Overrun, or even Safe Passage effect will play best in games like this, and decks that play those cards should try to engineer large battlefields.
Evasion and Overrun effects are key to ending games.

High-resource games tend to be won by the player whose cards have the higher total casting cost, though other mana sinks outside of casting costs can very easily swing that.
Expensive cards or mana sinks win games.

So putting it all together (with a bit of my opinion):
1. Expensive cards can be exciting, but they are pretty narrow due to the fact that they are unusable a good portion of the game (my opinion, not in the article!)

2. In the article, it's stated that expensive cards or synergies can break a stall. Likewise expensive cards or mana sinks tend to win high ressource games. So if synergy and mana sinks can advance and finish games, the need for expensive cards diminishes hard.

3. Provide evasion or overrun effects as ways to avoid stalls (in my mind, these cards also diminish the need for expensive cards).

4. Limiting interaction allows boards to develop, which leads to bigger games, which tend to allow synergies to shine.

I think a good example of not needing expensive cards to finish games are Caleb Gannon's Powered Synergy Cube. The curve is low, but seeing videos the game didn't struggle to end.

I see a lot of information about small games around the forums, which I do enjoy, but wanted to talk about big games for a few reasons:
1. They correspond to my format (multiplayer FFA cube)
2. They tend to favor synergy driven environments

Synergies are usually about assembling pieces of an engine on board or in hand. So naturally, seeing more cards or having more mana let's you get the right combinations more easily.

In this example, he is talking about ramp decks, but I think that the same is true of synergy decks, except that instead of casting expensive spells, they are amassing and deploying engine pieces.
Either way, the take away here is:

Less interaction -> more game objects available -> bigger games.

Expensive cards or synergies take over a game in case of a stall.

Evasion and Overrun effects are key to ending games.

Expensive cards or mana sinks win games.

So putting it all together (with a bit of my opinion):
1. Expensive cards can be exciting, but they are pretty narrow due to the fact that they are unusable a good portion of the game (my opinion, not in the article!)

2. In the article, it's stated that expensive cards or synergies can break a stall. Likewise expensive cards or mana sinks tend to win high ressource games. So if synergy and mana sinks can advance and finish games, the need for expensive cards diminishes hard.

3. Provide evasion or overrun effects as ways to avoid stalls (in my mind, these cards also diminish the need for expensive cards).

4. Limiting interaction allows boards to develop, which leads to bigger games, which tend to allow synergies to shine.

I think a good example of not needing expensive cards to finish games are Caleb Gannon's Powered Synergy Cube. The curve is low, but seeing videos the game didn't struggle to end.
Most fun games I had was when the answers were available, but there were less answers than threats. However, having way to few answers leads to non games.

Most fun games I had was when the answers were available, but there were less answers than threats. However, having way to few answers leads to non games.
Right, you want your players to have agency in the ability to respond. The point was that if you overload on removal you make those synergies so much harder to reach.

Finding the removal density for your format takes time and differs for each cube designer based on their desired gameplay.

Thinking about this a bit, I feel like you kinda have to split "big vs. small" out a bit — an environment that encourages a "big game" in the sense of everyone having big boards full of stuff is different from a "big game" where everyone's hands are perpetually full. Or, for that matter, one where your board is small and your hand is empty, but you both have a bunch of useful goodies in your graveyard.

The distinction is basically between "you have many low-impact options each turn" and "you have a few high-impact options each turn".

landofMordor

Administrator
One thing @landofMordor mentioned in my cube's thread is that bombs are better in small games as compared to big games. I don't follow why, could you explain?
@LadyMapi is on point here. Incremental advantages (including having slightly better creature, or slightly more Scry decisions, or whatever) tend to matter more when neither player has enough resources (mana, cards, etc) to buy into the big leagues of card advantage (via a fully enabled Crusader of Odric, or a Rishkar's Expertise, or whatever).

lots of good things r.e. big games
Totally agree. I talk about this a bit in my post, linked above. I posit that small games were more hostile to synergy than large games, which is not always true, but generally holds in terms of setting some design goalposts for whatever your objectives are. Your post does a nice job of hitting the highlights way more concisely than my post, haha.

Thinking about this a bit, I feel like you kinda have to split "big vs. small" out a bit ... The distinction [between different kinds of big games] is basically between "you have many low-impact options each turn" and "you have a few high-impact options each turn".
Agreed that these different kinds of big games all come with different flavors. But generally I think it's true that in big games, regardless of which game resource one has an abundance of, synergy and other scaling effects matter more while non-scaling incremental advantages matter less. And I guess, maybe the scaling effect is sometimes just a really big X spell in that case where you have a "few high-impact decisions" to make, but the point is that the cards most favored in that big game are still scaling bigger than the threshold-style cards that work best in small games.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Is control inherently a small game voting strategy?
I've gotten complaints about how hard it is to build a control deck in my synergy driven environment, and while I've some thoughts about how I can make the experience a bit better for the control drafter there does seem to be some tension there

Yes and no. I think 'The Deck'.dec votes for small games - it used things like Moat, Disrupting Scepter, Swords, Counterspell, etc - 1-for-1 or 1-for-n trades. So did Countertop control, in particular Miracles - Terminus takes a lot of resources off the board for a single {W}. But there have been very Big control decks - Lorwyn-era 5CC immediately comes to mind. So too Cruel Control. But in your environment, I think it might be better to look to stuff like 'Next Level Blue', a The Deck that used Goyf as its Serra Angel and played tons of counters, removal, and Cliques, as well as Sword of Feast and Famine to make big mana. NL U did a lot of the same things as The Deck - just like Moat invalidated Villain's creatures back in the day, in 2011, so did a Tarmogoyf. Clique attacks the hand, and the battlefield and stack are basically yours to police due to the big mana from SoFaF, and could never run out of interaction due to Riptide Laboratory + Venser (a trick Legacy Miracles briefly tried with Venser+Karakas).[/c]

landofMordor

Administrator
I think most control decks are trying to obviate the opponent's resources by spending their own cards (a small-game thing), until eventually the game reaches a resource-starved-but-many-lands-in-play state where the control mage can take over through some or all of 1) big topdecks like Cruel Ultimatum, 2) incremental value like an unanswered planeswalker, 3) or pure card draw to keep the 1-for-1s going. But these are all relatively small-game strategies -- contrast Lorwyn's 5C Control to Lorwyn-era Kithkin, and it's obvious that the control deck votes for a smaller game until they're ready to turn the corner.

@safra 's example of Next Level Blue is also good, and to me looks like an example where you're trying to keep a small-ish game through 1.1-for-1 trades of card advantage (honestly, more like Jund-with-stack-interaction than anything). But notice that this deck has a good enough disruption suite that Spellstutter Sprite's body matters and Vedalken Shackles is taking 50-100% of the Villain's relevant creatures. That's, like, a bigger game than "The Deck", I guess, but it's still small relative to hyper-synergistic decks like Amulet Titan/Hardened Scales/Dredge/whatever.

As for making a control deck that doesn't destructively remove all the big-game components that lead to successful synergies, I wonder if Moat is a possible paradigm for a solution -- it "destroys" Villain's game objects but still requires Hero to use synergy to end the game quickly, lest Villain's static and triggered abilities out-scale Moat's ability to obviate their permanents. I mean, maybe not literally Moat, cuz that card is a piece of work. But maybe there are other ways to partly passivate the opponent's game objects, short of destroying them entirely.

I think most control decks are trying to obviate the opponent's resources by spending their own cards (a small-game thing), until eventually the game reaches a resource-starved-but-many-lands-in-play state where the control mage can take over through some or all of 1) big topdecks like Cruel Ultimatum, 2) incremental value like an unanswered planeswalker, 3) or pure card draw to keep the 1-for-1s going. But these are all relatively small-game strategies -- contrast Lorwyn's 5C Control to Lorwyn-era Kithkin, and it's obvious that the control deck votes for a smaller game until they're ready to turn the corner.

@safra 's example of Next Level Blue is also good, and to me looks like an example where you're trying to keep a small-ish game through 1.1-for-1 trades of card advantage (honestly, more like Jund-with-stack-interaction than anything). But notice that this deck has a good enough disruption suite that Spellstutter Sprite's body matters and Vedalken Shackles is taking 50-100% of the Villain's relevant creatures. That's, like, a bigger game than "The Deck", I guess, but it's still small relative to hyper-synergistic decks like Amulet Titan/Hardened Scales/Dredge/whatever.

As for making a control deck that doesn't destructively remove all the big-game components that lead to successful synergies, I wonder if Moat is a possible paradigm for a solution -- it "destroys" Villain's game objects but still requires Hero to use synergy to end the game quickly, lest Villain's static and triggered abilities out-scale Moat's ability to obviate their permanents. I mean, maybe not literally Moat, cuz that card is a piece of work. But maybe there are other ways to partly passivate the opponent's game objects, short of destroying them entirely.
I guess you mean cards like:

and there is nothing wrong with the original, only when the moat owner cannot finish it and uses it to delay.

When you do not want control to be small decisions e.g , 1.x for 1, one has to resort to bomby (but talk of the night in a good way) cards.
Plus I always line a curveball against me. To come back against one of these cards and win is really rewarding. A point of warning, having no answers or outs against any of these cards leads to miserable games. Treat them as playing with fire, it is easy to get burned but very rewarding if you pull it off.

I think adding a second axis really helps me with understanding this: speed. I've tossed some deck types on my little picture to illustrate where I'd put things. (Some combo decks are not small per se, but I'm thinking the basic card + card and the game is over with relatively little else invested into the game state)

1659374304370.png

landofMordor

Administrator
I guess you mean cards like...
Yes, but ... when I say "partly obviate...", I don't mean Wrath of God, since that completely destroys any creature-based synergies and would pull against what it seems Chris is trying to accomplish with their synergy-driven format. I really am talking about efficient Pacifism effects, mass Pacifisms like No Mercy, or even Wrath played against a noncreature-based synergy. Just anything that allows Villain to get partial value from their game objects.

I think adding a second axis really helps me with understanding this: speed. I've tossed some deck types on my little picture to illustrate where I'd put things. (Some combo decks are not small per se, but I'm thinking the basic card + card and the game is over with relatively little else invested into the game state)

View attachment 7190
Hmmmm this is super interesting. I don't really get what "beater midrange" is, though, and I don't think of all synergy as slow (Affinity or Phoenix, for example).

What if the y axis were Proactive/Reactive? Small&Proactive is roughly Jund; Small&Reactive is control; BigPro is affinity-style synergies; BigRe is... battlecruiser "I cast Ugin using mana rocks!" synergies, I guess? Idk, at some point all taxonomies break down a bit, so this isn't perfect, but I do think there's probably some second axis that will best highlight which deck would give Chris their desired controlling gameplay.

Yes, but ... when I say "partly obviate...", I don't mean Wrath of God, since that completely destroys any creature-based synergies and would pull against what it seems Chris is trying to accomplish with their synergy-driven format. I really am talking about efficient Pacifism effects, mass Pacifisms like No Mercy, or even Wrath played against a noncreature-based synergy. Just anything that allows Villain to get partial value from their game objects.

Hmmmm this is super interesting. I don't really get what "beater midrange" is, though, and I don't think of all synergy as slow (Affinity or Phoenix, for example).

What if the y axis were Proactive/Reactive? Small&Proactive is roughly Jund; Small&Reactive is control; BigPro is affinity-style synergies; BigRe is... battlecruiser "I cast Ugin using mana rocks!" synergies, I guess? Idk, at some point all taxonomies break down a bit, so this isn't perfect, but I do think there's probably some second axis that will best highlight which deck would give Chris their desired controlling gameplay.
Well, agro should be able to overcome one wrath effect. Typically, the control player taps out to play the wrath and the aggro one has a turn…
On that note, a dream which I was never able to abuse

please help me sing the song. That card is begging me to use it but i never found a way to make it worth it.

Yeah don't look into the names too hard I just tossed them onto the pic for some context. And this is cube focused, so "affinity" and the like typically need not apply to my definition of "synergy"; think more loam strats or Sidisi decks. I consider stuff like aristocrats and affinity more aggro-combo anyways. Again, can't think into the naming too much. Its more about what a particular deck is trying to accomplish and how, and less about what label the broader community gave a particular deck.

Beater Midrange as I conceived it for this throwaway example set is just a deck that's pushing out stats on curve every turn, like watchworf into loxodon smiter into advent of the wurm into thragtusk, or something.

"Fast" and "slow" to me define the tension a deck has on turn-count-to-win. Every game matchup has an average final turn number if you play out a zillion matches.. A slow deck is trying to prolong the game past that average for some reason or another, a fast deck is trying to cut it short