Sets (C21) Commander 2021: Strixhaven Commander Testing/Includes Thread

This is a testing/includes thread. Post pictures or a text list using /c with what cards you plan to include and what cards you plan to test.
Including:
flat,1000x1000,075,f.u2.jpg

Testing:
laeliathebladereforged.jpg
combatcalligrapher.jpg

In the early years of Commander sets, WOTC used to be really good about designing cards that had appeal to formats other than EDH. Cards like Scavenging Ooze, Flusterstorm, Hornet Queen, Toxic Deluge, Unexpectedly Absent, Ophiomancer, True-Name Nemesis, Containment Priest, Daretti, Scrap Savant, Song of the Dryads, and Mystic Confluence all quickly came into favor for formats such as Legacy and Cube. These cards were great because they had value both in multiplayer formats and normal constructed. Over time, however, the quality of the new cards printed in Commander products has taken a nosedive. Other than a few select cards each release, new Commander cards tend to be worse than their old-school counterparts. Commander 2017 and 18 were both especially weak. It's a bit unfortunate, because these sets used to be some of the best sources of cube cards in the game.

However, this year seems to change the trend a little bit. While many of the cards are over costed and have poor abilities, there are some that seem to have interesting play to them. Other than the obvious power outlier in Laelia, the Blade Reforged, there are some cards here with legitimately unique abilities. I think there might be quite a bit here for cubes running low-power removal. While there isn't a ton for a high-power environment like mine (other than Laelia, who seems quite insane), I can see a lot of potential inclusions for some people. I am excited to see what is come up with, because this set has a number of cards that are just asking to be broken.

What are your plans for this set?
-GT

Dom Harvey

Contributor
gyomemasterchef1.jpg

This thing is super cool and the Food Lord many were waiting for (don't mention the war). I like that the last ability can be used offensively to tap their board or defensively to protect Gyome itself or another threat

pestinfestation.jpg

An incredible card with echoes of Release the Gremlins but this is so much better - not just the broader targeting but because that part is optional and you can play this just to make tokens (at a similar rate to Secure the Wastes, since it's effectively 'create X tokens, where X is odd')

BONUS HEROES OF THE REALM 2019 TESTING & INCLUDES THREAD

d7e57d2f-141f-461a-8f5a-4cec3020442e.jpg

With the Booster Tutor/Summon the Pack rule (just use a pack from your Cube), this is amazingly fun and swingy. I really want to use this to convoke Hogaak...

Chris Taylor

Contributor
en_KPry1RuSva.png

Honestly I am in love with Karnstructs and making one that protects my stuff and has double strike seems tailor made for me

en_sXI5I6dvcM.png

Red 3 drop, involves counters. Say no More!
Okay yeah this might be too good.

blightmound.jpg

So I'd been brainstorming a more high powered Golgari Germination, and then this got dumped on me.
Your creatures turn into 2/1 menaces that gain you life?

gyomemasterchef1.jpg

This thing is super cool and the Food Lord many were waiting for (don't mention the war). I like that the last ability can be used offensively to tap their board or defensively to protect Gyome itself or another threat
Does The War really qualify as a food lord? He makes a bunch of foods, yes, but he doesn't actually care about food specifically (unless he's turning them into elk or exchanging them for something, but he could do that with any type of token).

Either way, is this a card I should be considering? I think it looks kind of cool but it seems a little fragile for the first turn or two it's in play.