General Cards like Accumulated Knowledge, a solution

I'm pretty sure this has been proposed before, but it seems interesting.

As you know, there are many cards in Magic that work with additional copies. Accumulated Knowledge is the best example, as are Kindle and Legion Conquistador

Now, these cards don't tend to work well in cube. They don't work at all in singleton and take up a lot of space if you break it. On the other hand, they are broken if squadronned, because having 4 AKs in a 40 card deck with just 1 draft pick is insane. Furthermore, they are meant to be competitive picks that become worse the more players draft those cards.

But what if innstead of putting AK in the cube, we put a card that shows several cards of the same kind in it? You see the picture and it shows, AK, Kindle and Legion Conquistador and at the end of the draft you can trade each copy you have of those cards for a copy of one of the cards shown. This should allow these cards to work much better and it also adds some tension to the draft because these cards are in higher demand and you may end with a variable number of them.

What do you think?

Sounds like an opportunity to template a custom mechanic:

Accumulated Cards {1}{U}
Instant
Tempo: Draw X cards, where X is the number of cards with Tempo in all graveyards.

Accumulated Pings {1}{R}
Sorcery
Tempo: Accumulated Pings deals X damage to target creature or player, where X is the number of cards with Tempo in all graveyards.

Accumulated Dudes {2}{W}
Sorcery
Tempo: Create X 1/1 White solider tokens onto the battlefield, where X is the number of cards with Tempo in all graveyards.

Ignoring the egregiously offensive mechanic name, it could be something...

Sounds like an opportunity to template a custom mechanic:

Accumulated Cards {1}{U}
Instant
Tempo: Draw X cards, where X is the number of cards with Tempo in all graveyards.

Accumulated Pings {1}{R}
Sorcery
Tempo: Accumulated Pings deals X damage to target creature or player, where X is the number of cards with Tempo in all graveyards.

Accumulated Dudes {2}{W}
Sorcery
Tempo: Create X 1/1 White solider tokens onto the battlefield, where X is the number of cards with Tempo in all graveyards.

Ignoring the egregiously offensive mechanic name, it could be something...

use subtypes for this!

Omg, I'd love to see Arcane get some reuse as an arcane-spells-in-graveyard-matters mechanic!

+1 on the subtype and Arcanes idea.

I prefer the variant that I run where people simply see all the cards they get and picks 2 or 3 at a time depending on the draft pick.

If not that, then..

My 2nd vote goes to the OP suggestion but only have one spot in the cube OR several spots that cannot interact:
In other words have a draft pick be Squadron Hawk, Kindle and Growth-Chamber Guardian with the ability to switch between them so you can get 3 Hawks or 3 Kindles or 3 Guardians OR 2 Hawks with a single Guardian etc etc. If you wish you could include another pick in the cube to be Accumulated Knowledge, Legion Conquistador and Flame Burst and have the same switch-rule. However they would not be able to switch between them to get 6 Knowledge.

Then there is the custom option but I prefer restraining myself from running too much custom.

Which did you choose? :p

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Sooo... One in each color?

???

I think the wildcard idea is still the most likely to succeed here, even though I'ld be wary of players ending up with more of these than is healthy. If you want to limit these, you could always stipulate that you can trade in a maximum of four wildcards at the end of the draft. Or you could decide, yolo! Let the drafters have fun with their six Kindle brew :D

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Having tried it: growth Chamber Guardian is strong enough to run just 1 and not be that bad.
I run 4 and they're good alone, excellent in pairs, and I'm low key worried about the deck that eventually gets all 4 of these

Allow me to ask the opposite question: why would you run these cards? I don t think the gain is worth the troubles, especially after the newness wears off. And just as a card, how is kindle more fun than Incinerate or Magma Jet? How does AK make for a better game play than Compulsive Research or Chart a Course?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Also worth considering, should these say "All graveyards"? I get the AK mirror is skill testing (Read: tedious), but if there's going to be like 3 of these in each color, the ceiling on these is like, absurdly higher than originally intended