General CBS

The craziest thing here is that you've updated the same list without completely swapping themes for over a decade.

Over a decade... feels like so long ago and I expected to see ancient cards leftover, but here I am building a cube around creatures from 2010.

In the USA:

Mulldrifter is old enough to drive.

The entire RAV block is old enough to vote in the next election.

Goblin Piledriver is old enough to legally drink.

Time flies.

In the USA:

Time flies.

In austria: they are all allowed to do all of it. (With a few restrictions. Mulldrifter will only get his driver's license when it turns 17.)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
In the USA:

Time flies.
In the Netherlands you have to be 18 years old for all three of these. Mulldrifter has to wait another year, but the other two are good. Goblin Piledriver has been good for a number of years actually :) Huh… this year is actually the 10 year anniversary of the legal limit for drinking being raised from 16 to 18.

Honestly, I expected that to be a high res modo image, I didn't know they'd printed them like that in 30th, that's actually a really cool use of that opportunity!

Most of it can be Googled pretty well because it's a common site that's potentially confusing.

What do you need?

Yeah for me it’s confusing.

Can you help me get started?

Twitch has an issue they haven’t solved for about a year, give or take, and one of the affected users suggested a work-around. The solution is to download the Twitch video using Github and watch the vod this way.

Here’s the link I believe:
https://github.com/lay295/TwitchDownloader

And here’s a picture of the email:
IMG_5410.png

Does this affect all VODs you try to watch?

Have you tried getting an extension or something that can do the download?

If it's a big streamer, they may have an archive where you can find VODs for download or on YouTube.

One thing worth noting is you won't be watching anything via github. Github hosts a bunch of code for people to utilize and you'll be downloading it.

For the git, I'd start with downloading the zip of the files (green Code button then Download ZIP). Extract it somewhere and follow the instructions under Windows - Getting Started further down the page. The instructions require some usage of the command line, so it could be annoying to figure out if you don't know that. For step 3, I'd Google "command line how to change directories" to figure out the cd command. The other two look copy paste.

I'm no expert, but that's what I'd do. Maybe it's wrong lol. Maybe someone much wiser comes along. It looks like it's gonna take some time to get it going, at the very least.

Does this affect all VODs you try to watch?

Yes it is an issue Twitch has on all their videos for all their viewers who use Apple TV.

Have you tried getting an extension or something that can do the download?

No. Like an internet browser extension to download the video from Twitch’s website onto a PC? Do you know an extension like that?

If it's a big streamer, they may have an archive where you can find VODs for download or on YouTube.

Those are not what we’re looking for.

One thing worth noting is you won't be watching anything via github. Github hosts a bunch of code for people to utilize and you'll be downloading it.

Correct. I’ll be watching the video on my TV via my Apple TV on Plex app from my Synology NAS server. Someone found this solution and are sharing the idea. However I have almost never heard of Github before and to me it looks like a jungle to enter :)

For the git, I'd start with downloading the zip of the files (green Code button then Download ZIP). Extract it somewhere and follow the instructions under Windows - Getting Started further down the page. The instructions require some usage of the command line, so it could be annoying to figure out if you don't know that. For step 3, I'd Google "command line how to change directories" to figure out the cd command. The other two look copy paste.

I'm no expert, but that's what I'd do. Maybe it's wrong lol. Maybe someone much wiser comes along. It looks like it's gonna take some time to get it going, at the very least.

I think this is the advice I was looking for :p I will try but I am not sure I will succeed. It took me forever to learn how to setup and properly use my server.

To recap:

What I am looking for is a way to download Twitch vods of any length in highest quality.

hey, i'm going to save you a lot of time. you misunderstood the original person's instructions. Github is like a big collaborative 'community' for software; you were recommended a certain person's free software (rather than the industry tool itself, which is what you've been asking for), and I am about to recommend you use a different piece of software. It's reasonable you haven't heard of github but it is in fact pretty normal to know about if you like downloading weird little programs.

Anyway. When I want to download things from the Internet, especially when the website doesn't really want me to, I use JDownloader 2, a very powerful tool with a detailed online wiki/FAQ. Love this thing, very powerful, great filtering for exactly what you want. You'll still have to figure out how to put it on your TV but they make that pretty easy these days. {X}{0}{X}{0}

You'll still have to figure out how to put it on your TV but they make that pretty easy these days. {X}{0}{X}{0}

Yeah I’ve got that covered with my server connected to my Plex app.

Anyway. When I want to download things from the Internet, especially when the website doesn't really want me to, I use JDownloader 2, a very powerful tool with a detailed online wiki/FAQ. Love this thing, very powerful, great filtering for exactly what you want.

Uuuuuuh great, spicy!

I will look into this and give feedback ASAP as possible :)

Gossip Girl!

This is kinda embarrassing, but would someone like to remind me how to start designing a cube? It's been so long since I've sat down to do it that I've forgotten how (I didn't know that was possible!).

This is kinda embarrassing, but would someone like to remind me how to start designing a cube? It's been so long since I've sat down to do it that I've forgotten how (I didn't know that was possible!).
Go to every list of every cube you've ever liked. Export them as text. Import them into your list. Trim your 43,000 card list down to 450 cards.

I don't think there's an actual best way to start it, but that's an exaggeration of what I do.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Have an idea of a theme and a power band in mind, and just put 360-450 cards together. It’s not that important if everything fits, the cube can grow organically once you’ve built it.

I start by thinking about what new kind of way to play Magic there is. And then design the cube around that. Currently I have a cube called Ascension that is much more or a Rogue-like, deck-builder tournament than a 3-pack draft followed by 3 rounds of Magic games.

I just note down some basic guidelines, like some themes that I would like to support or so. Not too detailed. Then I check if there are any cards, that I want to be in there 100% and I'll just add them. Then what I often do is note down an estimated curve like this:

Black
~30/28 (That's creatures/noncreatures)
5MV1
8MV2
8MV3
6MV4
2MV5
2MV6+

Next step, if I want to make sure to support certain themes, I note down how many e.g. discard outlets or treasure producers I want. Remember, all these numbers are estimeted and will vary slightly in the end.

Then I go category by category, like 'green 2-drops' or 'red removal effects' and fill those out. During that part, I also note whenever I add one card that is archetype support to see if I also can get these numbers fulfilled.

My process is generally:
1. Come up with a list of parameters for the kinds of cards that I want to go in the cube (themes, MV restrictions, color restrictions, no tokens, whatever)
2. Pull up a bunch of cubecobra lists of other people's cubes that I like that are doing similar things to what I'm trying to do, or failing that just start googling "(theme) cube" and finding them
3. Put all the stuff from those lists that suit my goals and restrictions into a spreadsheet or cubecobra
4. Put a bunch of generic fixing and generally playable removal in the list
5. If I'm really still looking for some extremely specific shit, start putting together abominable strings of scryfall searches until I find those things
6. Cut down the list by cutting out stuff that's expensive (if not proxying) or oversaturated or missing my goals a bit
7. Proxy up or buy cards and start drafting ASAP
7. Iterate from there

How do people feel about white catch up cards?
I play the warhound and like it. Most of the time you aren't really playing them "face up" (i.e: you're really just planning your land drops around them, not actually using them to "catch up"), but I think that is a fun little sequencing decision and a solid body that ramps you is just a fun card to play. Warhound is great in aggro bc it's an aggressive guy that often lets you double spell on the next turn.