General Collection progress of Riptiders on Mtg Arena.

How would you describe your collection on MtG arena?

• Total voters
I'm registering an increased interest in MtG arena over the last few months. As I am a zoomer (I started playing during SOI) this has been my main outlet for playing.
I am interested in gauging people's investment in the client. Ultimately the goal is to optimize the "wild card budget" when building cubes on arena.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I just started Arena and have done maybe 7 drafts. I think a single draft of any cube would bankrupt my wildcard pool.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I voted Very limited & I don't play Arena. I did play it in the past, but I quit because the economy is atrocious unless you play a metric fucktonne of games every week. I like to play a bunch of different weird decks, and Arena doesn't let me do that unless I invest a lot of time and/or money, and I have no desire to sink so much resources into the game.

i don’t play standard but i do play historic, where i have 2 decks and probably won’t have a third for another month or so. however i do draft a lot, so i have tons of common/uncommon wildcards.

I'm a pretty heavy duty arena drafter these days, but my wildcards are spread out over my nine accounts (yes, nine!). I took advantage of the free draft tokens they were giving out during Ikoria, and now I rotate through accounts to make sure I'm always drafting with a full set of quests and getting max daily win value.

I put medium. I have 2 historic decks (Rakdos Arcanist and Aggro Cycling), 0.5 Standard Decks (The 0.5 being a very meme-y Dragon's Approach deck), and 7 variants of 6 Standard Brawl decks built (Tazri, Beacon of Unity party, Tazri Realmwalker Humans, Jegantha, The Wellspring Mutate, Phylath, World Sculptor, Esika, God of the Tree, Mila, Crafty Companion Aggro, and Akiri, Fearless Voyager equipments.)

I mostly use Brawl to finish daily quests when I don't want to pay for another draft or grind constructed ladder.

My collection is fairly large, but I find that I randomly don't have certain cards which I would have assumed I would have gotten drafting or something.

I used to always have a couple good decks but the introduction of so many staple rare cards into Historic has put a serious damper into my collection. I have a pretty good, but outdated, WB Enchantment deck but I also tried to build WG Collected Company and the deck hasn't been good at all.

I voted "I don't play Arena" but I follow Day[9] religiously who plays Arena several times each week.

I used to play Shandalar but that's 20 years ago.

I never got into MODO because the graphics was sooooo bad and the interface was as unelegant as a Magic game could be. In real life you skip most steps and decisions. Not on MODO.

I think Arena is the superior product. All it needs is more formats. Commander especially.

Thank you for the responses and comments.

I am wondering if you have any strategy for crafting? Conventional wisdom dictates that you prioritize lands*. Next in line are staples that fit into multiple tier 1/2 decks.

I am thinking of constructing a peasant (commons and uncommons) cube, but I am very eager to break peasant for untapped duals. I have seen several examples of this in other peasant cubes. As for rare spells there are conflicting incentives. More people may have cards like bonecrusher giant in their collection, but the power level discrepancy between the giant and the rest of the cube may be greater than other less pushed rares. The less pushed rares, in turn, are less desirable for crafting.

* If lands are your #1 priority there is still the question of which cycles of lands to prioritize. If your goal is to build a collection to compete in historic, the shock lands give you the most options. These have however rotated out of standard where the pathways and triomes are the most prevalent.

I am thinking of constructing a peasant (commons and uncommons) cube, but I am very eager to break peasant for untapped duals. I have seen several examples of this in other peasant cubes. As for rare spells there are conflicting incentives. More people may have cards like bonecrusher giant in their collection, but the power level discrepancy between the giant and the rest of the cube may be greater than other less pushed rares. The less pushed rares, in turn, are less desirable for crafting.

There is already an RiptideLab Peasant Cube, you can of course participate in this group project :)

The link is in my sigature

There is already an RiptideLab Peasant Cube, you can of course participate in this group project :)
+1 to this, there is a huge benefit in having a single cube for Arena because of crafting, getting games going, and having common ground to talk about the environment. Since it's now a Democracy Cube, you can help shaping it too!