Sets Conspiracy 2 Spoilers Thread

Dom Harvey

Contributor
new spoiler! PogChamp

en_RfLLcp8FCz.png

sweet design and probably pretty good

Looks like one of the more annoying PW's to deal with, tbh. She can keep resetting herself as needed, meaning you probably need to kill her in one shot or she'll just bounce back up to 5 loyalty again. Cool design tho

Her actual plot design is super bland but I like the character design a lot. Leave it to Wizards to make a GHOST ASSASSIN (who is not a ghost but instead works for ghosts and kills the living for them) boring. WoC is another plus. Planeswalker design so real good and strong.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Her actual plot design is super bland but I like the character design a lot. Leave it to Wizards to make a GHOST ASSASSIN (who is not a ghost but instead works for ghosts and kills the living for them) boring. WoC is another plus. Planeswalker design so real good and strong.

I thought the name meant she killed ghosts...

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
That planeswalker seems insane. I guess the school of thought on "planeswalker that doesn't protect itself" is like "creature that doesn't have ETB/dies triggers" in that they need to be backbreakingly powerful to account for the risk of dying to efficient removal. This card is almost demonic pact without the drawback. The drain can't hit creatures, but it gives you an effect right away and draining 5 times in a row is a powerful line of play demonic pact simply can't take.

(I guess the 0 protects her, but if you take that route you're paying 2 life to stop one attacker and not generating any value while doing so. The fact that it exists as an option is a perk, but its not where you really want to be.)

I really like that PW, Control wants it. No backbreaking Ultimate and only strong if you're able to let her live for a few turns. Every turn she's resetting she doesn't do anything and you lose 2 life. Without good blink targets she might even be a bit weak.

Problem is, there's alway's good blink targets. It's honestly a strike against her for me. Not only does she reset herself, but she can also bounce a nekrataal or blade splicer over and over again (with limits).

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
She does protect herself with the 0, and more effectively than if she had an actual protection ability.

Any planeswalker designed to survive a multiplayer slug fest is going to be nuts, and in 1 on 1 she will be super tanky.

I really like that PW, Control wants it. No backbreaking Ultimate and only strong if you're able to let her live for a few turns. Every turn she's resetting she doesn't do anything and you lose 2 life. Without good blink targets she might even be a bit weak.

Thing is, I want to run her, but she's not really where BW is in my cube. It's all about wide aggro token strategies with sacrifice and disruption and lifegain all sort of mixed in. Sorin, Lord of Innistrad and Sorin, Solemn Visitor both fit way better than Kaya. But she's so cool she makes me want to retool my Orzhov section just so she does fit.

I like her better than Venser, the Sojourner (who is hugely more powerful), but I'm not sure if I want the blink effect. I wish the life cost was steeper, but on the upside, blinking your own creature means it won't be on the field as blocker next turn, and you've paid 2 life, too, which means you can't super-durdle with her; you need some real presence to reliably blink. She may be just the blink tool I'm looking for, actually, although frankly I wish that she wasn't able to blink herself; that'd make her pretty perfect in my opinion.

IMO this would be about perfect if she couldn't blink your own creatures.
She also happens to be very good against Control Magic variants, which are fairly common in cubes.

Kaya is neat and she seems alright in the grindy matchups, but I don't think she really makes the cut for more powerful cubes. I can certainly envision a situation where you have the game 'locked out' so to speak, with Kaya as your win condition (enchantment/stax archetypes would love this) but overall I think that the lifeloss she has on her exile ability keeps her from being truly great.

It is worth noting that her abilities get exponentially better in multiplayer games. She exiles for +1 turn, discards for +1 card and drains for +2 life per player. It's a nice design choice, and very intentional based on the multiplayer draft environment that she's made for.

tl;dr, she's no Dack Attack.

Kaya is neat and she seems alright in the grindy matchups, but I don't think she really makes the cut for more powerful cubes. I can certainly envision a situation where you have the game 'locked out' so to speak, with Kaya as your win condition (enchantment/stax archetypes would love this) but overall I think that the lifeloss she has on her exile ability keeps her from being truly great.

It is worth noting that her abilities get exponentially better in multiplayer games. She exiles for +1 turn, discards for +1 card and drains for +2 life per player. It's a nice design choice, and very intentional based on the multiplayer draft environment that she's made for.

tl;dr, she's no Dack Attack.

First, allow me to get this out of the way. *ahem* "Fuck Dack Fayden." Generic white dude Ral Zarek wannabe.

Second, Alfonso Bonzo drafted this deck from my current list with an eye toward Kaya. I think it works. Whaddya all think?

orzhov - insert kaya from CubeTutor.com

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
When I saw him in action, it wasn't the token production that was concerning, cause -2 for a 2/2 flyer is pretty fair. But giving your whole team a power boost and lifelink (!!) means these gigantic life swings out of nowhere that can both put games out of reach and prolong an already stalled-out match. It's the Whip of Erebos effect, but exacerbated, because decks with Sorin usually also have a ton of small animals.