Site News Cube Academy (WIP)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys, Vince had asked for some transparency in site goals, and wherever possible I'd like to help that happen. Currently Matt, Eric and I are working on a number of improvements and added features. As you have seen, we've added our first ads to the site, and are still working out the kinks in ad placement.

Matt and Eric are exploring potential improvements to the forum itself (see Aesthetics and usability).

On my end, I am continuing with front page content, as well as trying to develop a comprehensive cube resource: The Cube Academy

By clicking that link you can see the work in progress. I have a number of pages already created, and want this to eventually be a one-stop shop for new cubers, and a place to learn about new ideass and creative cube design possibilities for experienced players.

There are three ways in which you all can help to make this a great product:
1) Provide feedback on existing content. If one of the pages could be improved, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
2) Ideas for content pieces. You can see there are already some planned, but more ideas are always welcome. It's been a while since I've been a beginning cuber, and there may be frequently asked topics that we're not covering yet.
3) Contributing actual content. Chris Taylor already started us off on this road with his incredible "Building Your First Cube" article.

Thank you all for your help, and for making RiptideLab such an enjoyable and productive community.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
What's the distinction between Cube Academy topics and normal articles? When I think of educational resources, I think mainly of more abstract pieces about design rather than specific ideas (like sac-based black)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
What's the distinction between Cube Academy topics and normal articles? When I think of educational resources, I think mainly of more abstract pieces about design rather than specific ideas (like sac-based black)

This is a good question that I don't really have an answer for. When you go to, say, cubedrafting.com there are a bunch of archetype primers and other things. I think perhaps these sorts of things are okay in the advanced section, with the beginner and intermediate sections being more generic. Feedback welcome though, if you think there's a better way to organize things.