Site News Cube Lists Subforum

What should we do with the Cube Lists Subforum?

• Leave it as is

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • Merge Cube Lists with Cube Talk (this forum)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else, that I'll explain in a post on this thread

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
So while overall activity on this site is at about where the steady-state number of posts per day has always been, I've noticed that the Cube Lists forum has gotten progressively less and less attention from the regulars over the months. It was once a source of good discussion, especially for individual card choices or for getting input during cube overhauls, but nowadays a lot of long, well-thought-out posts elicit zero responses. That's no one's fault, of course, but it makes me wonder if one way to get more discussion on those fronts going is to fold that subforum back into this one, and not have Cube Lists be a second-class citizen.

Neither Jason nor I have really strong opinions on this, so, we thought we'd put it to you guys in a vote. Is this set up working out okay for you? Or, would you prefer one giant mega-forum, with all things cube related in one place? Maybe the answer is neither, and you have a better, alternate third idea? In any case, let us know!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I think it's probably better to keep em separated. I might not post a lot there, but I definitely read people's patch notes, and go back and check people's threads.
As well, I've got a few people's lists bookmarked, but finding them among basically all our posts seems way more frustrating :p

I like it as is. My lack of activity has mostly been due to school (haven't actually cubed in well over two months), but I'll probably have a few posts up soon with SOI includes and results.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
The problem with the cube lists forms is that its just really hard to respond to a lot of the lists being posted there. Either a lot of the response is going to be repetitive (cut these cards we've all established as bad about 2 years ago/ improve your fixing) or their is insufficent guidance in the op.

A lot of times i'm just being given a 360 (or worse 360+) list that requires I make an in depth analysis of individual cards in the cube, and than provide a lengthy write up. This can represent an hour + time investment on my part (especially if I have to run 1 or 2 drafts of the list). If i were 16 or 17 with limitless free time, this would be fine, but its really hard to justify that expendenture now.

It just feels like repetitive work after a while.

I'd keep it too. It's a nice kinda "personal blog" space for everyone's creations. For one, I think it'd get mega mega cluttered with all of it as one page. As for reduced activity, that's hard to say. I agree with a lot of what Grillo has to say, this sites a nice little side-hobby, but I fast run out of time. I do love helping people learn and grow as they create, and it's awesome seeing so many new projects popping up :) . It's just hard to analyze a whole cube after I've spent all day analyzing real-world problems.

To that end the best advice I have for everyone new and upcoming is to
1) not stop posting your creations to the list thread.
2) test, test, test. A lot of where my progress has come from is just brute force testing and seeing what's too much, too little etc.

keep it separate, but maybe there should be a filing system for each type of cube.
You know cubelists: powered, peasant, pauper, limited level, weird and size for each category...
Something like that.
I try to check the cubelists, but then i see so many new lists, that i don't know where i should dig in.
I try to avoid giving advise for cubes where the power level is really low, because i don't have that much experience with such cubes.

If i would easily see that someone needs help with a cube that seems more in my alley i probably would help more easily.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
That reminds me, I wrote a primer on "How to build a cube from scratch" for this site. Would it be helpful if I retooled it (It was written a while ago) and we put it in the cube list subforum as a guide?
Link

A few friends of mine have asked for help building their first cube, and I definitely tell them to come here first, but I do mention this article :p

That reminds me, I wrote a primer on "How to build a cube from scratch" for this site. Would it be helpful if I retooled it (It was written a while ago) and we put it in the cube list subforum as a guide?
Link

A few friends of mine have asked for help building their first cube, and I definitely tell them to come here first, but I do mention this article :p
yes, that sounds like a fantastic idea. Stickied right at the top so there's some guidance right off the bat.

One section I'd definitely vote for adding would be: "Where do I go to find more information?" with links to single card thread, lower power thread, fight club, hidden gems, etc etc. and what to look for when you are digging around.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
The problem with the cube lists forms is that its just really hard to respond to a lot of the lists being posted there. Either a lot of the response is going to be repetitive (cut these cards we've all established as bad about 2 years ago/ improve your fixing) or their is insufficent guidance in the op.

A lot of times i'm just being given a 360 (or worse 360+) list that requires I make an in depth analysis of individual cards in the cube, and than provide a lengthy write up. This can represent an hour + time investment on my part (especially if I have to run 1 or 2 drafts of the list). If i were 16 or 17 with limitless free time, this would be fine, but its really hard to justify that expendenture now.

It just feels like repetitive work after a while.

No, I hear you. In the first year of the site, I think I tried to reply to every new poster with a cube list thread, and offer at least some general guidance as to which direction they should go, along with a couple individual card suggestions. But as you intimate, it's a low-return activity; a non-trivial portion of my high effort posts were ignored as the cube creator blundered on their way. After a while, it was hard to muster up the motivation and enthusiasm to even read new threads in the Cube List forum, let alone reply to them.

I think what I'm hearing from everyone is that we need to guide some of the new folks around here on "How to Ask Actual Questions About Your Cube, and Get Real Responses", rather than having people throw up a link to CubeTutor, hastily bang out ten two-colour archetypes - half of which won't actually exist in the list! - and then hear crickets chirp. Would that be accurate?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I don't often check the cubes thread, but when I do, I look for posts by people who post often in this section of the forum, so when I actually give some feedback, I'll know it'll be appreciated and considered.

Aoret

Developer
Basically just echoing what Grillo said. What it boils down to is that those threads require a lot of work to reply to. That section of the forums has been almost entirely upheld by the charitable efforts of a handful of regulars. Eventually people tire of slaving away at stuff like that, especially when the help being offered is very samey.

I noticed a couple weeks ago there were some desolate posts by new folks. I didn't have the time to devote to in depth responses, but I gave them each a few general pointers so that at least they didn't feel totally ignored by the community here. I think having posts that basically cover all of that stuff are probably a good way to go. If we wanted to go really deep, we could maybe start a thread for people to swap CT drafts or something, but that's really pushing us in a StackOverflow/Reddit rep kinda direction which our forum software wouldn't support and we'd be implementing by doing lots of manual work.

tl;dr I don't have a good solve for people not replying to new folks to the community, but I think we should leave the forums split.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Yeah, a few other things that frustrate me:

1. List runs blatant GRBS cards (swords, skull clamp, wurm coil engine).

2. List runs well established trap cards like masked admirers or janky build around/niche cards (autumn's veil).

3. Poorly thought out tribal support, equipment theme, or artifact/enchantment theme without a critical density of those effects.

4. List has bad fixing.

5. Power level discrepancies.

6. Really vague questions or concepts from a large list ("<x> format" list, "synergy" list, "Modern Masters" list)

7. Fundamental issues with structure of cube/request phrased in a way where the design work gets shifted away from the OP and onto other parties. (OP doesn't know how to design archetypes).

8. List requires a heavy time investment to make an initial response. The more time I have to invest to respond to you, the less likely I am to make a response. I shouldn't be the one doing the bulk of the issue spotting, the creative work, or a general analysis of the format. If you post, it helps tremendously if you can frame the specific issues you want feedback on, as well as why those are issues within the context of your environment.

Looks like a lot of those points (1-5 maybe) come from someone simply not being fundamentally invested in the knowledge of riptidelab yet. Just more reason why any "Tutorial" write up needs a site guide for the important topics to read through. It takes a hell of a lot longer to discover all those design principles yourself then to ask someone who's already invested to take a look at your issue, so it's natural to ask those types of questions.

The Cube Academy is actually a good framework for this sort of resource. Maybe it needs to be polished up and flaunted/used more...

I know that I'm bad at actually writing responses to Cube lists. I will definitely review the list on CL, check to see if the poster is actually asking a specific question (versus just saying "make it do moar"), and then think about the list for like... a week or so before real life gets in the way.

I vote we keep them separated, but maybe have some more subdivisions within the sections to further separate where people should go.

I've learned that designing a Cube is so much harder than it looks and a lot of my local people are either looking to copy a list (mostly from this site) or they take their bulk extras and non-valueable cards and shove them together. Maybe someone should find some magical time and write an extremely thorough primer about making lists, how to test lists, how to get feedback from both the players and the theorizers (us, mostly), what to do with said feedback, and what to expect from feedback. I'm often worried that my suggestions will be taken as a slap in the face of the creative process that the owner went through, so I try to avoid making suggestions to entire section. It's so easy to go "STOP PLAYING WURMCOIL ENGINE" or "PROPHETIC BOLT IS AWKWARD", but we all also want to play with the cards that we like.

Without going on too much more of a longwinded explanation, the tl;dr is this: You gotta keep 'em separated.

Aoret

Developer
The Cube Academy is actually a good framework for this sort of resource. Maybe it needs to be polished up and flaunted/used more...

Absolutely. This is probably where we should be spending our time, rather than on individual cube list replies, at least until it is whipped into shape.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Wow - I just want to say, I deeply appreciate the well-thought-out and in-depth responses from everyone on this thread. I started the poll on a lark, to see what the heck we should do with that red-headed stepchild that is the Cube List forum, but I couldn't have expected such a genuine desire from the regulars here to make this place better, both for the active users and for the ones just passing through. You guys are just as invested in the well-being of this community and this site as someone who's 'behind the scenes' like me, and that's completely, utterly awesome.

I think the idea to invest more heavily in the Cube Academy series, and then publicize the hell out of it once it's polished up and good to go, is in all likelihood the right direction. I'm realizing now more and more that the barren Cube List forum is just the symptom; the real problem is a lack of education and resources for new cube designers. And, yeah, heck, cube designing is hard business. All of the lessons that Grillo enumerated - fantastic list, btw - took the collective community here months or even years of discovery and debate before those ephemeral ideas were distilled down into cold, hard truths. It's unreasonable to expect newcomers to walk in here and simply know all of those facts; but it's also unreasonable to expect any of us to need to drill down and explain each principle in detail, either, especially when we're unfamiliar with the attitude of the new poster, and whether they'll be anything near receptive of advice that goes somewhat 'against the grain'. But having a handy guide to point to at all times might prevent some of the same ol' questions from being repeated time and again, and might increase the likelihood that one of us will respond if we can just post a link along with a few extra lines of explanation.

Okay, let me see if I can find Jason (assuming he hasn't joined James in an eternal hitchhiking journey...) and figure out how and where to go with the Cube Academy.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Wow - I just want to say, I deeply appreciate the well-thought-out and in-depth responses from everyone on this thread. I started the poll on a lark, to see what the heck we should do with that red-headed stepchild that is the Cube List forum, but I couldn't have expected such a genuine desire from the regulars here to make this place better, both for the active users and for the ones just passing through. You guys are just as invested in the well-being of this community and this site as someone who's 'behind the scenes' like me, and that's completely, utterly awesome.

I think the idea to invest more heavily in the Cube Academy series, and then publicize the hell out of it once it's polished up and good to go, is in all likelihood the right direction. I'm realizing now more and more that the barren Cube List forum is just the symptom; the real problem is a lack of education and resources for new cube designers. And, yeah, heck, cube designing is hard business. All of the lessons that Grillo enumerated - fantastic list, btw - took the collective community here months or even years of discovery and debate before those ephemeral ideas were distilled down into cold, hard truths. It's unreasonable to expect newcomers to walk in here and simply know all of those facts; but it's also unreasonable to expect any of us to need to drill down and explain each principle in detail, either, especially when we're unfamiliar with the attitude of the new poster, and whether they'll be anything near receptive of advice that goes somewhat 'against the grain'. But having a handy guide to point to at all times might prevent some of the same ol' questions from being repeated time and again, and might increase the likelihood that one of us will respond if we can just post a link along with a few extra lines of explanation.

Okay, let me see if I can find Jason (assuming he hasn't joined James in an eternal hitchhiking journey...) and figure out how and where to go with the Cube Academy.

If anyone wants to touch up the Cube Academy, feel free...

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Incoming wall of text (You've been warned)

I was a big advocate for the Cube Lists forum. That was where I stayed when I joined this forum, mainly just doing drafts on cubetutor and explaining my findings in decent length posts afterwards. After a while it just becomes tedious.

Most of the problems I have noticed have already been mentioned above, but I am going to reiterate them from my own perspective and give examples where I can.

The Problems with Cube Lists Forum

1. Time Investment for 'Constructive' Posts
This has become the main issue for me. I want to help people where I can, but for me to feel what is a decent reply (and what people may be expecting), is a couple of drafts, some suggestions of cuts (overpowered/not thematical) and some possible adds they forgot. This takes me like a solid 30 minutes to do. Some times I have nothing better to do and feel like helping out, so I pump one out for the newest list to make them feel like we care about their contribution (I mean they did just but up their baby to the slaughter).

Like an example would be ColonelSanders cube. I like the idea, he's been a regular on Cube Talk and I want to help out, but geez, all custom cards? It is going to take me like an hour just to digest what the cards do let alone if they are too strong for the environment, what archetypes there are and sooo many things. I can't just do a small post saying, 'that card looks too strong', that isn't me and probably isn't what the cube owner wants in the discussion.

While I am being all negative about time consumption, this part I don't really mind, but it leads to the next couple of reasons that make the time investment not really worthwhile.

2. Lack of Response to Such Posts
So when you spend a decent amount of time on something you hope to get a reply or be appreciated. Otherwise what was the point? I couldn't actually find any examples of a cube that had been abandoned after a post by a regular which was nice. The main issue I find most irritating is that they just disregard your advice.

I like to think sometimes it can be like inception, you plant the seed in their subconscious that these cards/archetypes won't work, but like 80% of the time it doesn't matter what you say, people are stuck in their ways.

Heck, I'm even guilty of this. But I did eventually heed the advice, albeit never using the cube since.

Here is an example of one I did not to long ago. Note that I had already lost 20 minutes of work on that post due to a computer error. I get a reply saying thanks, but then goes to rebut everything I said and takes nothing away. I mean Autumn's Veil... How can you defend that card? Why do I need to reiterate myself on it again?

No one has posted since then, and I can understand why. I know I want to help them out of traps (like Masterwork of Ingenuity + 5 equipment in the cube), but then it will just be defended again 'this one time a guy got double Bonesplitter) and I'll just be slamming my head against the keyboard again. I'll pass on the head trauma thanks.

3. Vague/Long list of Critiques Wanted
Then we come to my other pet peeve. Sure you've taken the time to write a long post of cards that you think might be good for you to run, why do I have to suffer through a list of cards and pick them for you? Why can't you just add the ones you want and give your reasoning? At least then I can explain if your reasoning is off (not enough support) and then we can go on a to and fro as to what to add instead, that is fine.

I went a bit off the rails in one post because of this. Then Grillo came to help me out until Sigh dropped a decent post (which I still don't think he has considered/implemented).

So to fix these I think the freshening up the Cube Academy could be a solution, but It doesn't actively solve any of these three issues. There is nothing that can be done about problem 2. it is just human nature and if people can't accept change there is nothing we can do about it. Problem 3 could be lessened by the Cube Academy, or a refresh of the sticky post in the Cube Lists forum. All they need to do is to ask the right questions, which those two sources should help them obtain.

The main issue is problem 1. This might be a personal battle for me to accept a short post is better than nothing. Having another source to direct people to ask questions that can be answered without a 30 minute post could also mitigate the problem. I wouldn't mind instigating a 'draft swap', where if they want people to give them some draft data, they must first draft one of our cubes, so they understand our environments and our views on things instead of being brainlocked into their own powermax format. Too be honest that is all I can really think of at this point. If I come up with any other solutions I will be sure to post them.

That isn't to say that the thread is dying a horrible death and no one wants to post there. There is too much expectation and ignorance going on and we just need a way to clean it up, but there is a silver lining. The cube list thread does have some gold and a reason to stick around.

The Best Things in the Cube Lists Forum

1. Draft Day Write Ups
This is my personal favourite thing about the cube lists thread. Seeing the environment in action, your thoughts on your environment and what could be improved. It is like a personal story for every draft and they are great to read. Personal favourites are:
Shamizy's Cube, a decent amount of deck lists, lots of thoughts about the night, always a great read. I based my own draft reports off of these.
Alphez's Cube, nice succinct writeups with enthusiasm but realistic expectations of his new format (Please post another soon!)
Modin's Cube, this is something that is really needed for fantasy drafts as cubetutor can't do them justice. Lots of lists, lots of thoughts, everything I want.
These are just the ones I thought of off the top of my head, but there are a lot more where they came from. They may take a while to write, but I appreciate everyone who does.

2. Own Personal Blog
This sort of bounces off of the first point, but in your cube list thread you can pretty much post whatever you want. The best person for this is generally Safra, who goes off the wall on various topics. I really like her prerelease and GP writeups she did.

The other main thing people like to talk about is changes in their cube. These are also pretty inciteful mainly as to what didn't work or what you want to try rather than 'this card is new and I should put it in'. RavebornMuse is great at these. The amount of text they pour onto the screen to explain their changes or just spout random nonsense is great. It is almost like shit-posting but actually has some purpose. I am all up for that.

Plus it is YOUR cube thread. If you put in the Cube Talk forum it might feel like another thread instead of your own thread and people might be less inclined to post stuff like this. Just my opinion, as it probably doesn't matter where they live though.

3. Communal Cubes
Sure, these could go in the Cube Talk Forum, but they would just die if there wasn't a person in charge of it to keep things moving. The main ones were The 4 At A Time Cube and the Penny Pincher Cube. Both for different reasons.

The 4 at a time cube was just a fun little community experiment to see how interesting a cube could be if we threw in whatever we wanted (It wasn't actually that bad. The Penny Cube, there was a lot of back and forth between Grillo and the community on each iteration of the design that made it the solid fortress of an environment it has become.

While there hasn't been one of these cubes for a while the sense of us all working toward a design was refreshing to see and if anyone has a fresh idea they want fleshed out, if the Cube List Forum is gone it might have trouble getting to completion (considering how off topic half the Cube Talk threads go).

I don't like pointing fingers, but I think it needed to be done in this case. I don't want people to think we are ignoring them and their cubes, it is just a lot harder to give advice than you think (especially when people don't take it, you start to lose hope). The forum will bounce back eventually, but I think we can try out a couple of things so when it does get more movement it won't peter off as heavily as it did these last couple of months.

Kind Regards and Salutations!
-Kirblinx.

Excellent write up! A lot of good insight and thought about the topic. I definitely resonate with the #2. Running into a brick wall doesn't accomplish much. Unfortunately, like mentioned, not much to do about any individual's willingness to learn.
I didn't post my list until at least a few months of rough drafting. I'll say this until I run ragged, but for any newer designers out there, test test test. If I see a list thats been through the ringer 10 times and a specific wall has been hit (board stall problems, single card questions, specific archetype isn't working, etc), I'll be more invested. There's a set goal with an action plan built from experience.
Just go for it and bring back what you discovered on your way. Try out new ideas and be willing to learn, to adapt, to go off your beaten path.

Incoming wall of text (You've been warned)

Like an example would be ColonelSanders cube. I like the idea, he's been a regular on Cube Talk and I want to help out, but geez, all custom cards? It is going to take me like an hour just to digest what the cards do let alone if they are too strong for the environment, what archetypes there are and sooo many things. I can't just do a small post saying, 'that card looks too strong', that isn't me and probably isn't what the cube owner wants in the discussion.

-Kirblinx.

Sidenote: I completely agree with pretty much the whole post. I keep meaning to post on other people's cubes, but I'm getting buried this semester, so I haven't had time. I really like the idea of a draft exchange thread, and I think that posting decklists from actual drafts is a great way to make it easier to digest how a cube plays out in practice.

As for my cube, I wasn't surprised that no one responded to it. I completely understand that diving through 400 custom cards (and its a sealed environment which is a little outside the norm) is daunting/impossible. I effectively have a 4 person dev team to help me create cards/imbalance it, so I wasn't looking for the normal kind of feedback. My purpose was to have a centralized dump of all the customs in case anyone was ever looking of inspiration or just wanted to see what happens when you go down the rabbit hole of customs. Also, I've put a reasonable amount of time into making a way to play sealed with custom cards. I figured that if anyone ever wanted to do that, they could dig through my excel macros, or I could help them with it. I may start just posting pdf versions of decklists and game summaries. That's probably an easier/lower effort way for people look at what's going on instead of diving in and trying to build the excel sealed pools I attached. (also, since that post, I finally won the morph debate, and with morphs removal, a LOT of slots have changed... so don't bother looking at the cube until its updated.)

2. Own Personal Blog
This sort of bounces off of the first point, but in your cube list thread you can pretty much post whatever you want. The best person for this is generally Safra, who goes off the wall on various topics. I really like her prerelease and GP writeups she did.

The other main thing people like to talk about is changes in their cube. These are also pretty inciteful mainly as to what didn't work or what you want to try rather than 'this card is new and I should put it in'. RavebornMuse is great at these. The amount of text they pour onto the screen to explain their changes or just spout random nonsense is great. It is almost like shit-posting but actually has some purpose. I am all up for that.

Plus it is YOUR cube thread. If you put in the Cube Talk forum it might feel like another thread instead of your own thread and people might be less inclined to post stuff like this. Just my opinion, as it probably doesn't matter where they live though.

This is in my opinion the best/my favorite use of the Cube List section. After posting a while here on the forums I realized that every time I mentioned "my cube" or "my environment" nobody really knew what that meant, so I decided to make a thread for my cube with my list and some thoughts about it. I don't post there much (which is something I want to change when I can find the time) but I think that it serves as good context to my posts. Also, its really nice to have a place to see what changes people are making to their cubes. The main forums have great SCD and "Fight Club" discussion but in "Cube Lists" you get to see which of those ideas (if any) actually get implemented in people's lists and often feedback about those changes later after a draft.

Essentially, the main forum section is like "okay guys here's some ideas let's talk about them" and the Cube List section is "okay guys I liked this idea, here's my implementation, testing, and results from it". It's theory-crafting versus testing and I think it makes a lovely balance of content when done right.

asside:
While there hasn't been one of these cubes for a while the sense of us all working toward a design was refreshing to see and if anyone has a fresh idea they want fleshed out, if the Cube List Forum is gone it might have trouble getting to completion (considering how off topic half the Cube Talk threads go).

I think it would be cool if everyone here came together to make a communal "Riptide Cube". Maybe incorporate some Design Contests into it as well.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Kirblinx - thank you for such a fantastic and articulate analysis. I feel like you wrote almost a 'State of the Union' address for the Cube List subforum, and put into words better than I ever could what exactly is happening in that area, as well as emphasizing the good stuff in there that we should be unearthing and then focusing on.

With that in mind, I've done two things:
  • Renamed the forum from Cube Lists to Cube Blogs. I hope this helps differentiate what this forum is supposed to be, compared to similar subforums on other sites.
  • Made a much more comprehensive sticky, that probably still won't get read, but is at least there for newcomers who happen to click on it.
Feedback on either is very welcome!

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Thanks! It was one of those things that we just copied from that other site a couple years ago, without much thought. But it took all of you guys and your honest feedback to crystallize what we want to do in that subforum, to have everyone get the most out of it.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Cheers to everyone who read my post. It took me while to write and figure out what my real issues with the forum were and glad everyone else felt the same way.
With that in mind, I've done two things:
  • Renamed the forum from Cube Lists to Cube Blogs. I hope this helps differentiate what this forum is supposed to be, compared to similar subforums on other sites.
  • Made a much more comprehensive sticky, that probably still won't get read, but is at least there for newcomers who happen to click on it.
Feedback on either is very welcome!
I can't believe a simple name change has made the forum feel like a breath of fresh air. It was almost like were all saying it, myself calling them 'personal blogs', ColonelSanders calling it a 'centralized dump of his ideas' but no one ever actually flat out said it. Kudos Eric, a very ingenious solution.

The sticky as you said, will probably never get read, but it is very well written and lays out a good foundation of what posts in that forum should be. For some reason I have a feeling there should be more don'ts, but I can't really think of any at this time. I'll reply to the sticky if I think of anything.

I think it would be cool if everyone here came together to make a communal "Riptide Cube". Maybe incorporate some Design Contests into it as well.

I feel that I might start another 4-at-a-time-esque cube with the whole premise of low-powered graveyard interaction with the release of SOI. As everyone seems to be talking about wanting to see one be made or make it themselves why not just do it all together with some silly only 4 card at a time restriction? That seems like fun community effort.