General Cube Stories

I haven't seen a thread like this, where you can share all the crazy and unexpected moments, that happen to happen in MtG's best format. I think it would be nice to hear the crazy cube stories of others and maybe even get some Inspiration.

Today, I had an incredible gamechanger happenig.

I was playing a 3-man draft with 2 good friends, we played it out multiplayer. It was game 3, everyone had already won one except me. But it looked good.

The mono {R} Aggro player was already out, It was down between me with {W}{U}{B} Blink and my friend who played a {B}{G} Dredge with a blue splash only to test the newly added Consuming Aberration.

His board: Consuming Aberration(12/12), Nest Invader, Penumbra Spider, 14 mana sources.
He was on 10 life and had only 4 (!) cards left in his deck.
My board: Geist-Honored Monk, 3 Spirits, Nekrataal, Gray Merchant of Asphodel.
I was on 22 and had a library with ~13 cards in it.

Everyone expoected me to win and my friend made bad plays and had lost all his hope for like 20 minutes, being lucky to even become 2nd again. Then, without realizing the potential he topdecked Sprout Swarm. He used it EoT since he had nothing else to do, then I suddenly pointed out, that I'll lose the game, where everybody had expected me to be the winner for so long. In his turn it took only 3 more activations to mill me out. Especially mean, in the end of my turn, thanks to being the monarch, I drew an O-Ring ...

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Did you cut sprout swarm after that?
This is the best Sprout Swarm win I've ever read about. In fact, it was the only fun Sprout Swarm win I've ever read about! Sprout Swarm wins are usually agonizingly slow, inevitable, and non-interactive. Anyone who has played Future Sight limited would probably have a healthy disdain for the card at best, and possibly hates it with a passion.

I understand the Sprout Swarm hate in theory, but I didn't play FUT limited, so I at least wanna experience something frustrating with it to give it the axe :D

I'm not sure If we've just been lucky, or If it's just not that bad in our environment, but in the ~3 years it's in, I can't recall one really annoying Sprout Swarm win. It was either too slow to race the opponent, they had a counterspel or some other way to stop it, or they had one or more evasive threats, so the tokens didn't help that much. And when Sprout Swarm wins, it seemes to never take that long, thanks to anthem/overrun effects or stuff like Fallen Angel and/or Blood Artist.

And while yesterday was a funny story, it was more the Aberration, that would've done that with any buyback spell.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Oh, I definitely think Sprout Swarm's oppressiveness was a result of its limited environment, and you're probably right that it will be less obnoxious, and who knows, maybe even fun, if you sculpt your cube in the right way!

Edit: Definitely a Sprout Swarm win as well though. How are you going to get enough Aberration triggers with any other buyback spell to mill 13 cards? ;)

Well, my friend had 14 mana each turn and two turns at least before dying, maybe a third one, while he only needed 5 triggers to empty my thinned out library. There are probably some horrible cheap buyback spells, that could do that, right? :p

I want to share with you another story I shared elsewhere before. It happened like a year ago and is among my all time favorite crazy wins. It was me against the same opponent who beat me yesterday with Sprout Aberration:

I already lost game 1 with my Jund sacrifice deck and was about to go 0-2. My friend was at 10 life, had 8 lands, 7 of them tapped, also a Flickerwisp, an Okiba-Gang Shinobi and a Spirit token. They all attacked me and I went down to 5 life points.
I had 2 signets, a Coldsteel Heart, 7 lands and a Loxodon Warhammer without any creatures, also no cards in hand, topdeck mode, thanks to the ninja rat. I was like, let's check what I draw before conceding.

Then I drew Greater Gargadon ... I started to think.

I suspended it, tapped my lands to have some mana floating, sacrificed EVERYTHING except the equipment to the Gargadon, equipped it with the Warhammer and hit my opponent in the face with a 12/7 trample, haste, lifelink creature. "respect", he said afterwards.

I was going up against some 5C pile of stuff around a year and a half ago running some grindy GBx deck. He was playing mostly normal stuff and I couldn't quite put him on a specific archetype, but he kept saying something like man I wish I had a red source right now. I didn't understand why he needed red specifically as it seemed like he was able to play out his curve reasonably without any hold-up. Then he fired off an EOT Gifts Ungiven and put both Primeval Titan and Avenger of Zendikar into the graveyard. I had no clue what was happening, he topdecks a Mountain, then he plays it out and slams a Bring To Light for 5. He brings out Living Death, decimates my board, and I die the next turn taking like 30 something damage after Prime-Time triggers. It was pretty sweet.