General Cubing at GenCon?

Will any of you fine folks be attending GenCon in Indianapolis this year? If so, I’d highly encourage you to register to host a cube event. I’d love a chance to meet some incredible cube designers and draft their creations!

The events catalog went live yesterday and I see a noticeable lack of cube events. Let’s fix it!

I myself will not be able to host, for two reasons: 1. I will be hosting playtests of a social game I’ve been working on and would like to focus my hosting energy there 2. I’d need to actually put my cube in paper… my current list has drifted so far from the cards that I actually own that it’s unrecognizable! (Hooray for Untap.in)

Fun fact: I actually live here in Indianapolis. Fairly good chance I will attend but there's 110% chance I would be looking to host a draft or two at my (clean, safe & spacious) house up on the north side.. :) Any interest there, please let me know. Always looking for a good draft!

Edit: Just send me a PM as we approach the date. I'll be sure to bring it back up too.

Last edited:
Will your social game premiere at the GenCon or can we see it now?
It’ll be in the First Exposure playtest hall! You can see the current draft of the rules and some design musings on my blog:

https://magiccirclegaming.wordpress.com/coalition/

Also, I’ve just commissioned some art for the game. Hoping to have it looking a lot prettier by the time GenCon rolls around. My summer project, if you will!

Fun fact: I actually live here in Indianapolis. Fairly good chance I will attend but there's 110% chance I would be looking to host a draft or two at my (clean, safe & spacious) house up on the north side.. :) Any interest there, please let me know. Always looking for a good draft!

Edit: Just send me a PM as we approach the date. I'll be sure to bring it back up too.
Oh I’d looove to. Downside: this is the first time I won’t have access to a car while I’m there, so getting around won’t be quite as easy, but I’m sure I’ll figure something out. I’ll be sure to hit you up closer to the date!

Also @blacksmithy it’s August 3-7 this year!

I just skimmed those rules, and there's a reference to "Bury" roles. What are those?
Something that may or may not stay in the game, stolen shamelessly from Two Rooms and a Boom.

Basically, let’s say we have an 8 player game, meaning there are two players per Party.
Usually, we select two roles (for example: Knight and Judge). So every Party will have a Knight and a Judge.

Bury roles offer up some variety. Instead of selecting two, we would assign roles from a pool bigger than the number of players per Party. So, with N = number of players per Party being 2, we can assign roles to those players from N+1 roles, meaning that one of three is left unused - and is thus “buried.”

Say we decide to select from the roles Knight, Judge, and Populist. Now the fog of war is thicker - if I find an opposing team’s Knight, I know the other player has to be a Judge or Populist. Without the bury role, if I find a Knight, I also know exactly what role their teammate is.

I like using bury roles conceptually for offering more variety and uncertainty to lower player count games. However, they are harder to balance. I’ll need to keep testing them!