General [Custom Card Contest] A history worth repeating (ends June 21)

Artifacts are commonly considered excellent glue for cube designers, having a lot of play space in both lower-end and higher-powered cubes, with their colorless nature and swath of random utility effects making them easy role-players to slot in. Enchantments on the other hand, even losing out to artifacts in their very own set, struggle to attain the same level of relevance, often being relegated to build-arounds when they're not busy getting 2-for-1'd as auras. Recently however, enchantments received a new powerful tool in the form of Sagas, letting them masquerade as a bucket list of simple sorcery spells to pull together distinctly different concepts into a cohesive package that doesn't overstay their welcome. Fable of the Mirror-Breaker is an outstanding example of a card that can be appreciated in decks that want artifact tokens, madness enablers, graveyard filling, etb effects and enchantments alike.

My criteria is thus: Design a saga that cross-pollinates. An excellent design should be flavorfully resonant, explore novel mechanics, or produce exciting play patterns. You have one chance, until the sun's culmination.

(the winner is supposedly granted 25$, or a custom title burdened with the obligation to host a new contest.)

I'm not sure what you mean with "one time", you can naturally edit the submission up until the contest ends, which is 21.06.2021 (see thread title).

Here’s my submission. A top down take on the famous duelist Musashi Miyamoto that hopefully provides some cool interlocks between tokens, +1/+1 counters, and my favorite archetype, discard value, while also being a solid proactive 3 drop for Naya Zoo type decks.

Quick flavor guide for the design:
Chapter 1: Musashi appears, a warrior said to be without equal.
Chapter 2: Musashi is known for the philosophy of winning a duel before it begins. Thus a bite effect rather than a fight.
Chapter 3: Musashi throws away his sword and retires to the mountains to seek enlightenment.
The card itself:
1D604867-08F6-4110-8760-91C45E472E97.jpg

the opportunity for fame and riches is still available
june 21 is summer solstice btw if the statement in the op puzzled anyone

For what it's worth, and I don't typically disclose hints so to speak, but considering it's more of an ideological one, I will say that I am largely a magic purist. If you want to take the path of least resistance then I would recommend you make a card that conceivably exists within the magic multiverse, whether that is an established or new plane.

I got inspired by a Julie Dillon piece. This saga represents four generations of women and the four different points in time they represent: past, present, immediate future, and distant future. For play experience, it might be better to reverse the order, but I liked the flavor better this way :)

View attachment 7075
I would order it 3, 4, 2, and 1 for play. 3 is the first woman who then gives birth (4), then that one gives birth (2) and finally another birth.
I know that returning from the graveyard is in black zombify, but in white it is rebirth. Circle of life and stuf

Over 10.000 years ago, when the guildpact was founded, there was an ambitious leader. An already old and mighty vampire, once just thirsting for blood, now wanting so much more. He signed a contract, together with 9 other powerful paruns, seemingly to keep the peace and ravnica in balance. However, his scheming had already begun.

He was the leader of the House Dimir, an organisation so mysterious, that the knowledge about their mere existence dissolved in the shadows of time. They were capable of erasing one's thoughts before one would even think them. Their power of manipulating knowledge allowed them to operate from the shadows, unseen, unknown. And Lord Szadek was waiting for his big opportunity.

In the wake of the 10.000 year anniversary, the peace was broken and Szadek was arrested - all according to his plan! The ruthless Augustin IV killed him in an Azorius prison and enslaved his ghost, but he underestimated Szadek's power. He broke free, killed his enemy and removed his soul. With his newfound powers as a spirit, he took control over Agyrem, the ghost district. His victory was within his reach ...

Szadek’s Machinationss.jpg

Mechanically, this card does it lot of different thing for a lot of different decks. It gives you an enchantment and an artifact on etb. The blood token also lets you rummage, for reanimator, madness, all those cool shenanigans. With chapter two, you get the choice to fuel your own graveyard or mill the opponent - or both! Whatever fits your gameplan. Finally, you get a reanimation effect, that might be goig of on turn 4 but it cost you only two mana, so a very powerful cheaty effect here.

What makes me a little proud of this design is, that this Szaga isn't only a collection of useful abilities for different synergies, but also very synergistic with itself. Both chapter I and II help you in different ways to ensure, that there will be someone or something powerful in the graveyard, so you can summon their spirit and threaten every existence on Ravnica! (or just your opponent's life total)

One small note, as written, the third chapter will reanimate an opponent's creature on their side of the battlefield, since it doesn't specify "under your control" at the end of the first sentence. I have no clue if this was intended, but I thought I'ld point it out.
Oh no, it wasn't! I meant to have it reanimate from any graveyard but always on your side.

One small note, as written, the third chapter will reanimate an opponent's creature on their side of the battlefield, since it doesn't specify "under your control" at the end of the first sentence. I have no clue if this was intended, but I thought I'ld point it out.
While I would recommend spelling it out for sake of clarity, the card does actually put the creature into play under your control as currently written.
110.2a If an effect instructs a player to put an object onto the battlefield, that object enters the battlefield under that player’s control unless the effect states otherwise.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
While I would recommend spelling it out for sake of clarity, the card does actually put the creature into play under your control as currently written.
Huh. I didn't realize that part of the text is spelled out on all the cards for clarity only, but I guess I could have, since other effects explicitly say "under its owner's control". Amazing :) I'ld still change the wording to
"Put target creature card from a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control."
since that is how WotC themselves spell out this effect. Still, that was a cool bit of knowledge :D

I miss Shakespeare quotes on Magic cards

7A2DA2D5-35C7-4809-A9DF-C95A1D5087AA.jpg
I don’t think it is actually a very good card, nor create interesting play patterns. The Scry 3 in act I refers of course to the three witches. The recurring second act references the repeated murders and their effect on Macbeth’s mental state. The final act represents his inevitable tragic end.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I miss Shakespeare quotes on Magic cards

View attachment 7088
I don’t think it is actually a very good card, nor create interesting play patterns. The Scry 3 in act I refers of course to the three witches. The recurring second act references the repeated murders and their effect on Macbeth’s mental state. The final act represents his inevitable tragic end.
Petition to rename this saga: "The Scottish Play"

7000 years ago, an alchemist named Edgar Markov had an issue to solve. He had lived a life barely scraping by in the minor territory of Stensia. His family could not continue if something were to happen to his only grandson, Sorin. So, Edgar began to look for a way to solve the issue. At first, he experimented with ways to increase crop yield, to ensure a bright future for what remained of his family.

Before Edgar could finish his work, a great famine struck Stensia. Desparate to try and avoid starvation, Edgar began experimentation with Blood on the suggestion of Shilgengar, an ancient archdemon. Edgar tried multiple different blood formulas in an attempt to solve the famine. Eventually, he had but one final source of power to exploit: the blood of an angel.

Edgar captured the angel Marycz in his laboratory and drained her blood. He used the power from within her veins as part of a ritual to finally secure his family's place in the world. Marycz's contribution was the most important: for drinking her blood would complete the transformation. Edgar took the first sip. As the angel's coppery blood drizzled across his tongue, Edgar became an ageless Vampire. Now able to drink the blood of Humans for sustinance, the Markovs were finally able to avoid starvation. They would need this skill– a side effect of the blood rite was immortality! The blood rite to induce Vampirism came at a toll of great agony. The pain was enough to ignite Sorin's latent Planeswalker spark, allowing him to travel the multiverse and potentially spread Edgar's gift to other worlds. Luckily, it seems Sorin used his grandfather's gift to do some good, but that's another story...

EP1BBBb.png

I chose to keep this card fairly simple. One of the reasons why cards like Fable of the Mirror Breaker, Okiba Reckoner Raid, Binding the Old Gods, and Showdown of the Skalds work so well as Sagas compared to other options is because they are all relatively simple.While they may have a lot of text compared to other Magic cards, they have clear and concise abilities that have multiple different unique lines of play.

I think Edgar's Sanguine Gift does a good job of telling it's story and having lots of cross-synergies that can provide several unique deckbuilding opportunities. It has artifacts for affinity and metalcraft decks, tokens for token strategies, discard outlets for reanimation, madness and cycling decks, lifelink for life gain strategies, and two supported subtypes for Vampires and Blood decks. Even if it's not being leveraged for it's micro-synergies, the card has more than enough built-in value that a Midrange deck could play it as a grindy engine peice. In fact, this card would likely be played along side Fable of the Mirror Breaker if it were legal in current standard, as that deck already leverages blood tokens for value. This brings me to my final point in the mechanical discussion of this card. Chapter 3 is worded in such a way so that sacrificing blood tokens through any method, not simply activating their ability, will cause the creation of a 2/3 vampire. So, if you're sacrificing blood to an Oni-Cult Anvil or maybe something a little spicer like Korvold, Fae-Cursed King, you can still get the value vampire.

From a lore point of view, I think the card tells the story of Edgar creating the first vampires exceedingly well. The first chapter shows Edgar's earlier experiments with immortality, the second chapter shows the "eureka" moment where he discovers blood as a source of power, and the third chapter shows the first vampires being created by drinking angel blood. It can even create exactly two Vampires by itself: Edgar and Sorin. Of course, someone with a dedicated Blood deck could create multiple Vampires off of the final trigger.

Will you lead the Markovs to Glory as Edgar did before?

For all this card's elegance, I think it has some issues. Allow me to elaborate but don't take it too seriously even though it sounds like it:

I think it's confusing it uses the art for an existing card to create two tokens, which the original art doesn't do. The original is neither a token, nor is there double of them. And the art doesn't reflect two of them.

It also creates tokens that we haven't seen before: 1/2 Human Soldier Tokens

The second picture is the same art again but reversed which could save that whole "There shouldn't be two tokens". But the same art ( reversed) does something else. It investigates twice.

One can argue that if you take the first two pictures and combine them, you get two full Thraben Inspector but as tokens. I think a more clean solution would be to have the first chapter create a 1/2 Human Soldier and investigate. And then let the second chapter repeat this.

But the third picture is from GO TO JAIL which is a whole other card from another set. It doesn't detain at all which competely erases the logic from the first two thirds of the card. Detain is a Ravnica mechanic and the card is a dice-rolling Pacifism variant. So if the players were to use the art as a baseline for what the card does and use the art to easier remember the old Shadows over Innistrad mechanics, it doesn't work anymore :p

That being said the art fits kind of perfectly. It even looks like it could be art style from Innistrad.

Anyways those are my thoughts. I like the simplicity and the callback. It's a type of card that Wizards could create in one of their Masters, Horizons, Commander products (but they would use different art)

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
For all this card's elegance, I think it has some issues. Allow me to elaborate but don't take it too seriously even though it sounds like it:
Look, my MS paint skills aren't up the standard of @LadyMapi so I had to convey what I wanted in my own way.

My design brief was: Typical cop drama, 2 (Thraben) investigators get a case and catch the bad guy.

The saga goes like this:
Two detectives (Investigators) get assigned a case and go out in the field.
They investigate the crime and find the bad guy.
They catch the bad guy and put him in jail.

I know the art shows that is should be create 1/2 and clue twice, but then it doesn't tell a story.
It also doesn't play as well, because this way on turn 4 you get both your clues so you can crack both if you want as you would have just made your 4th land drop (hopefully).

If you can find a better existing art around then I can remake my card if you wish, but I was proud of what I had accomplished. (a true meme)