General Custom Card Contest: New Meld / BFM / Fuse Cards

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
1648737177078.png

The contest:
Design two (or more) cards that satisfy the following conditions -
- each card is independently playable / castable, but have some sort of bonus if both in play together or cast together or something. You figure it out.
- cards must visually link in some way. have fun with templating
- a modular approach is allowed (e.g. any 'left' card can combine with any 'right' card)
- any card type (creature, instant, planeswalker, land, etc.) is allowed

I will decide the winner completely subjectively, but you can all express your opinions. Maybe we'll even have a vote for fun. Post entries in this thread. 25 USD to the winner.

Entries by April 15, Tax Day.

(I had a dream we were running this contest and now we are)

If there are rules questions post them here.

View attachment 6708

The contest:
Design two (or more) cards that satisfy the following conditions -
- each card is independently playable / castable, but have some sort of bonus if both in play together or cast together or something. You figure it out.
- cards must visually link in some way. have fun with templating
- a modular approach is allowed (e.g. any 'left' card can combine with any 'right' card)
- any card type (creature, instant, planeswalker, land, etc.) is allowed

I will decide the winner completely subjectively, but you can all express your opinions. Maybe we'll even have a vote for fun. Post entries in this thread. 25 USD to the winner.

Entries by April 15, Tax Day.

(I had a dream we were running this contest and now we are)

If there are rules questions post them here.
Oh I know exactly what I’m entering into this…

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
So... Fuse is a split card mechanic.

You're looking for two cards with some kind of combination into a single piece?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
So... Fuse is a split card mechanic.

You're looking for two cards with some kind of combination into a single piece?
Yeah, something along those lines. Two (or more) cards that work independently and can do something together.

You can invent a mechanic. Theoretically you could do it as a fuse variant like, two cards that each get a mana discount when cast together or something. Hope the vagueness is clear!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
First idea: legendary cards that you can keep casting for extra value if you control the counterpart!

General Dwyggan.jpgDwyggan’s Orders.jpg
Art link

Something like that Jason? Oviously these are intended to be drafted together, which is why I made them uncommon. The base effect is fairly tame, but since they're uncommons, that's more than fine, I think.

PS. It's a shame I have to reduce the resolution of these by so much to make them fit next to each other in the form, Card Conjurer really makes some lovely customs! :)

I also have a second idea, but unfortunately I can't seem to find appropriate art for it :(

Last edited:

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
First idea: legendary cards that you can keep casting for extra value if you control the counterpart!

View attachment 6724View attachment 6723
Art link

Something like that Jason? Oviously these are intended to be drafted together, which is why I made them uncommon. The base effect is fairly tame, but since they're uncommons, that's more than fine, I think.

PS. It's a shame I have to reduce the resolution of these by so much to make them fit next to each other in the form, Card Conjurer really makes some lovely customs! :)

I also have a second idea, but unfortunately I can't seem to find appropriate art for it :(
Onderzeeboot is the winner!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Thank you! Thank you! [waits for the crowd's roar to die down] Ladies and gentlemen, let me begin by saying it was a hard challenge! It wasn't always easy, but I kept faith that I would pull through in the end. At any given moment, even a single one of you could have entered the competition to challenge me for first place, but in your infinite wisdom you decided to step aside, and let me have the win. For that, I will ever be grateful to all of you. Thank you again, and to this challenge's host Jason as well, of course. For now I shall withdraw to ponder the prize!