Sets [DTK] Dragons of Tarkir Spoilers Thread

http://mythicspoiler.com/dtk/
let's go ahead and get started

dragonlordsreaper.jpg

Dragonlord's Reaper {5}{B}{B}
Creature - Dragon
Flying
When Dragonlord's Reaper enters the battlefield, if you cast it from your hand and there are five or more other creatures on the battlefield, destroy all other creatures.
5/6

Is exploit just devour though? I honestly think its a mechanic bound to deliver something interesting, whereas devour is just a stupid way put all eggs in the same basket at least you seem to be able to leverage the creature in some way with exploit. We've already seen a card that can turn a mediocre dork into removal in the mid-late game, or just do things with our usual self-sac package. Also wooh, rebound! More fuel for our stupid spells slinger decks, love it.

Edit: Also wow, could they really not figure out a better name than "megamorph"? Like what the hell. We are YGO now. God cards and Megamorphing dragons (probably)

Edit2: Hah! We don't have teenage yet but we DO have elder mutant ninja turtles!

So as dumb megamorph is for a name, I do think it is a decent improvement to morph. I personally like the counterspell megamorph guy. Exploit seems sweet. New Silumgar looks awesome. Digging that dead tasigur he's got on his chain. Hopefully bolster gets some better cards. The Formidible mechanic looks like crap. Hooray for the return of rebound. For standard's sake, I want a staggershock reprint. I also want to see colorless stuff and two new planeswalkers. But we can't always get what we want. Not gonna be surprised when the Gruul mythic is just a 7 mana 8 power dumb guy that gets no EtB trigger or haste. Which is disappointing, as I really like the way antler-dragons look.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Suddenly Carnivorous Death-Thrummingbird seems less dumb. I mean, it's still a little too pushed for my tastes, but going from Welkin Tern to this new guy is also a pretty big push.

it's been long enough that i can link this again

also what is it with wotc doing a thing right as i start building a custom cube with it, first wedges then delve then rebound

at this rate the anotak magic 8ball says the fall set is madness

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I thought I was reading custom cards. Seriously, "megamorph"? Silasw you can do better than that.

I like Stratus Dancer and the Elder Dragon, though I feel like they should make it a "Creature - Commander"

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Super stoked for exploit cards! I love sacrificing as a cost as it's typically lackluster when played without any synergies, but becomes very good with them.

Rebound returning is just about the best thing ever. I hope it helps cement white as part of the 'spells matter' colours alongside blue and red.

Megamorph does sound goofy, like the cartoon version of morph. I'm glad it plays out as essentially the same thing, though.

Dragonlord Silumgar is probably exactly the power level of six drop I'm seeking out for my cube. Huzzah!

Sacrifice effects are what I love more than anything in Magic. They made a mechanic just for me, dawwwww.

I love the new Sidisi card, pretty powerful and with a Demonic Tutor stapled as the sac cost on ETB. So sweet. New Silumgar is also fantastic, great effect and power level. If these are a good sign of the power level of the better cards in this set, keep 'em coming!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
sandcraftermage.jpg

Interesting. I was hoping for a 2 mana 2/1 who said "another", but that's likely too complicated. Is this guy good, counter synergy included?

ojutaissummons.jpg

YESYESYESYESYESYESFUCKFUCKFUCK HAHAHAHAHAHA REBOUND IS BACK YESYESYES
Sorry where was I?

stratusdancer.jpg

This card is damn near momentus: Before, the best 2 drop flier in blue was fucking carniverous death parrot, followed by welkin tern. ABOUT DAMN TIME WIZARDS. White got this fucker ages ago.
Also hey, more +1/+1 counter stuff. Sure, I guess? Dat keyword name doe

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Its pretty dumb how pushed Stratus Walker is in contrast to comparable creatures. I'm all for fluctuating power level to create different environments, but this is just ridiculous.

Its pretty dumb how pushed Stratus Walker is in contrast to comparable creatures. I'm all for fluctuating power level to create different environments, but this is just ridiculous.

I'm willing to bet this is a one-way street, much like aggro one-drops; we'll probably see a lot more efficient 2-drops in all colors soon. (And while it's technically a 2/1 flyer for 2 with upside, the upside requires you to pay 5 mana instead...)

This might be a continuation of the trend started by Frost Walker, actually.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Unh. Morphs are so underpowered in environments not carefully constructed around them. Who want's to pay {3} for their 2/2? Silumgar and Sidisi seem decent though. I love the twists on old characters, curious what else we will see.

Edit: I fail to see how Stratus Walker is enormously pushed. Sure, it's better than Welkin Tern, but it's about time blue got a simple 2/1 flyer for {1}{U}. The enormously pushed part requires you to pay five mana for a 3/2 flyer though, so whatevs?

holy moly you guys

Stratus Dancer is exactly the kind of card I've been waiting for. Dragonlord's Reaper is like a black Martial Coup, and I've been hoping for more playable black wraths. Silumgar is strong but seems super swingy in a way that I don't like much, similar to Sower of Temptation. New Sidisi seems great, and I'm really looking forward to more exploit cards.

I'm starting to wonder whether it's really that they have cube in mind, or perhaps they've just gotten that much better at designing in general. It's probably not a coincidence that here on Riptide we've been like "look at how interesting rebound is with prowess" and then we see this. Same with exploit.