Card/Deck Eldrazi Spawns/Scions

Dom Harvey

Contributor
So I believe Jason made a similar thread when first discussing the Eldrazi Domain Cube, but the idea of building around mini-drazi is appealing on a number of levels.

- An on-tap morbid trigger can be very useful, both for actual morbid cards (Tragic Slip/Malicious Affliction, Brimstone Volley, and Skirsdag High Priest which is bonkers with e.g. Eldrazi Skyspawner or Nest Invader) and stuff like Meren, Grave Pact, Requiem Angel, Pattern of Rebirth; the 'sacrifice' wording lets you go nuts with Furnace Celebration or Mazirek

- Flooding the board with warm bodies is obviously good for battalion, Windbrisk Heights, anthems, devour, convoke, Smokestack, the usual

- Having a bunch of Lotus Petals attached to X/1s prompts some interesting sequencing decisions. Sometimes you just cash it in to play a Mulldrifter for sticker price, but other times you get to play two spells in one turn or build towards a larger X spell (Profane Command, Green Sun's Zenith) or payoff card

Any one of these applications would be noteworthy for a Cube that cared, but between them they offer a ton of flexibility and guarantee that you can find a use for your spawnz in most situations

Possibly playable Spawn/Scion generators:
Nest Invader, Kozilek's Predator, Pawn of Ulamog, Awakening Zone, Growth Spasm
Blisterpod, Carrier Thrall, Catacomb Sifter, Eldrazi Skyspawner, (Blight Herder), Spawning Bed (ULD?)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, I thought this was going to be a discussion comparing the two.

The Spawn cards I've included in the main cube have played pretty well. Growth Spasm and Nest Invader are great, and Pawn of Ulamog is useful, but in a more narrow capacity.

For the E-Domain updates I don't think I'm actually going to include any Scion cards. Mixing the two seems like it will take something away from the environment, but I don't really have a compelling argument formed other than some vague complexity / confusion things. Probably the same reason BFZ didn't include any of the original ones, even if there might have been appealing designs that used them.

This is not a reply, I'm just adding card links to the cards that I haven't memorized every detail of, so that I can understand what you're talking about.
So I believe Jason made a similar thread when first discussing the Eldrazi Domain Cube, but the idea of building around mini-drazi is appealing on a number of levels.

- An on-tap morbid trigger can be very useful, both for actual morbid cards (Tragic Slip/Malicious Affliction, Brimstone Volley, and Skirsdag High Priestwhich is bonkers with e.g. Eldrazi Skyspawneror Nest Invader) and stuff like Meren, Grave Pact, Requiem Angel, Pattern of Rebirth; the 'sacrifice' wording lets you go nuts with Furnace Celebrationor Mazirek

- Flooding the board with warm bodies is obviously good for battalion, Windbrisk Heights, anthems, devour, convoke, Smokestack, the usual

- Having a bunch of Lotus Petals attached to X/1s prompts some interesting sequencing decisions. Sometimes you just cash it in to play a Mulldrifter for sticker price, but other times you get to play two spells in one turn or build towards a larger X spell (Profane Command, Green Sun's Zenith) or payoff card

Any one of these applications would be noteworthy for a Cube that cared, but between them they offer a ton of flexibility and guarantee that you can find a use for your spawnz in most situations

Possibly playable Spawn/Scion generators:
Nest Invader, Kozilek's Predator, Pawn of Ulamog, Awakening Zone, Growth Spasm
Blisterpod, Carrier Thrall, Catacomb Sifter, Eldrazi Skyspawner, (Blight Herder), Spawning Bed(ULD?)
edit: malicious affliction, if you trigger morbid and it gets countered, do you get the copy?

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
For ease of reference, here are all of the eldrazi spawn cards that could be played in some cube:

And eldrazi scion

So, mostly G/B with a touch of blue or red.

I think it's worth taking another look at this once Oath is fully spoiled. There are already cards like
scionsummoner.jpg

spoiled, and I imagine there'll be more to come.

I just tried explaining devoid to my roommate, who is somewhat new to magic. (Has only played RTR sealed plus my cube.) This was because I summoned Catacomb Sifter, the only Devoid card in my list so far.

Yeah, I don't think I'll be including cards that care about colorless or care about color in my cube any time soon. Just instructing people to ignore Devoid, or cover it up with sharpie even, maybe. Those Rise of Eldrazi cards look pretty sweet, though, especially since I just cut Infect to make more room for Sacrifice! Following this thread with great interest.

Aw, I read the card text and missed the trinket text. ;) (cool new term!)

Well like I said, I can use Devoid cards, I'm just going to avoid using cards that will make Devoid mean anything, since said roomy is 1/4 of our playgroup, or 1/2 of the playgroup if we're grid drafting for giggles / cube testing.

HEY, maybe I should post this in the Low Power Spotlight, but DUDE, look at this:

You get not 1, but 2 effective mana out of each not-summon-sick Eldi Token! THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING WHY HAVEN'T WE BEEN TALKING ABOUT CONVOOOOOKE.

Okay it's really probably not that big of a deal but it's super neat discuss.

You can't tap them to help pay and then sac them? Ah - there is no stack when you're paying costs of things. Shucks! Well, you can still tap them for the convoke spell, and then sac them for another spell/ability later in the turn I guess.

You can't tap them to help pay and then sac them? Ah - there is no stack when you're paying costs of things. Shucks! Well, you can still tap them for the convoke spell, and then sac them for another spell/ability later in the turn I guess.
It used to work this way but it was changed at some point.