Card/Deck Equipment Matters (white+)

After I tried out cycling (was too narrow) and "small creatures matter" (was too lose), I now settled for Equipment as my white centered archetype. And as it seems to be a theme wizards really likes (Eldraine, Z3ndikar, seemingly Kaldheim) I thought it would be cool to discuss it's possibilities here.

This archetype gets support not only in white, it ususally is a boros thing (and there might be arguments for blue), but I like it the best in white. Why? Well, white has access to a few things that the other colors haven't.

It has access to the best evasion, both flying and shadow at great rates, has lots of first strike, double strike, vigilance and lifelink. So almost all the keywords that love getting a buff. Red has trample but lacks flying, vigilance and lifelink. Blue has flying but that's it. Why is this important? Because it helps preventing the archetype from becoming too narrow/parasitic.

These cards might seem nice with a bunch of equipments but are useless elsewhere. Let's compare that to Healer's Hawk. I count that card as an equipment payoff in my list because it's cheap cost and two nice keywords make it so good with (stat boosting) equipment. And I didn't even have to make a swap, since I was already running him forAggro/Lifegain! I feel white has a bunch of cards among all power levels that might already be in your lists and can be classified as equipment "payoff".

That being said, there are some explicit payoffs that are less narrow.

Mystic and Seeker are cool, because while they get better with more equipment cards in your deck and signal the theme clearly, they are playable with just 1 (seeker) or 2 (mystic) pieces. Kor Blademaster ist just a Fencing Ace that signals the equipment theme, but might also be seen as an indicator for warrior tribal, so be careful here. Danitha is great without anything else but also works with your auras, which might include Pacifism effects! That is also the reason I mentioned Sram here. 10/12 of my white removal are auras, including the synergistic Cage of Hands and Shackles.

Of course other colors do have decent payoffs.

Even though red gets more support, I almost like blue more as a theoretical second color. That's not just because the Quartermaster seems like a decent card, it has two other reasons. First, blue has a lot of small fliers which are awesome here. And second, the whole equipment theme bleeds nicely into an artifact theme or at least some artifact payoffs work with 5+ equipment in your deck just fine.

In any case I would recommend trying out the Pilgrim, as he is easy to turn on and gets a keyword that works great with power boosting equipment too.

Now, to the equipment. You probably run quite a few, as they are cool and fun cards anyway that are useful for every creature deck. But ...

... there are a few that might be more interesting with that card type being a theme.
I also want to mention that colored or color aligned equipment might be a good tool to shows which color(s) support the archetype. Sadly, there isn't too much to chose from yet for different power levels.

Blue basically got nothing sadly.

So, what have I missed? Is anyone else trying/having an equipment theme? It seemes like Kaldheim will make it even easier to include one.

Blue has Mantle of Tides, which while underpowered would work fairly well if you're already heavy on cantrips and have enough reasons to care about equipment! It's not anything spectacular but it sure would show people where they can go (and if it wheels, so much the better for the one drafter who really wants it)

No, there isn't, I just didn't include every possible payoff. For example, Stonehewer Giant wasn't listed as well. I mostly stuck to the ones I am testing so far, leaving cards out for others to write about, whenever they might know more than me.

But is the quest really a good card? It looks kinda clunky and is probably a horrible topdeck. And if my best equipment is Vulshok Morningstar, it doesn't really seem to be worth it anyway. Am I wrong?

Great writeup, that's a cool theme that I don't think we've given much attention to :)

Relic Seeker is pretty nice in my cube, I recommend it!

Some of the best equipment bearers in my cube tend to also be heroic, so I have a voltron theme that's a bit of both.

Other white and red cards I run that like to be buffed:

I'm also thinking of adding per James' suggestion:

As for actual equipment, I've been liking:

In terms of White enablers, is there any reason that you skipped
?

WU Quest for the Holy Relic is a fringe modern deck:
https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/kevincrimin-video-11192015-modern-quest-for-the-holy-relic

I don't think that's playable in limited though, as ravnic said it's a terrible topdeck, and if you don't draw it in your starting hand it's basically useless. It also requires you to run at least one equipment that costs 8+ to cast + equip to actually have a payoff, like Argentum Armor or Batterskull.

After I tried out cycling (was too narrow) and "small creatures matter" (was too lose), I now settled for Equipment as my white centered archetype. And as it seems to be a theme wizards really likes (Eldraine, Z3ndikar, seemingly Kaldheim) I thought it would be cool to discuss it's possibilities here.
I don't know if this is of any help to you but I wrote in-depth about equipments a couple months ago. Although my thread is focusing more on a small Stoneforge Mystic // Stone Haven Outfitter package than a massive archetype, I think a lot of the ideas I express there fit reasonably well with what you're trying to accomplish. It even has some tie-ins to your Gruul aggro-madness stuff. Case and point, both of these play really well in madness and equipments...

Burning-Fist Minotaur's first strike means that it benefits more than many creatures power buff. Creatures being made bigger by equipment also make it easier to trigger Flamewake Phoenix's ferocious ability. There's a lot of interesting space to integrate this deck into a cube without needing to dedicate too much precious space to making the deck work.

Oh, I vaguely remeber that threat! Despite the little different focus and the mostly higher powered cards, your write up reads great. Doesn't hurt to have two threads to promot this theme/archetype.

I want to mention a few lower powered equipments, that can be added for this theme while also being flexible, good cards for other decks.

The lifestaff is nice for token, sacrifice or lifegain stretegies of all kinds.
The plate mail nicely doubles as a finisher after boardwipes, also wildfire effects.
The scythe is a very strong reason to draft a mono color deck if you want to promote that.
Strandwalker is new, haven't seen it in action yet but I think my green decks will love it. Turning every Squirrel into a Mammoth Spider helps.

These are plain and simple, just very good stats for the costs. Elegant and strong.

This is the archetype I plan on trialing in my RW section. Totally forgot that there was a thread written about it!

This theme ties nicely into themes several other colors can have, so I really like that it acts as a centerpoint of all of those options.
{U}: flying
{R}: Aggro creatures
{G}: +1/+1 counters

I especially like the direct synergy that this sort of theme can have with +1/+1 counters, which act as mini auras in a way. This card hits pretty much every note you would want in this deck, for instance

But you also have the myriad other {W} or {W}{G}-themed cards that put counters onto things. At a high power level, for instance

Recently mentioned green option that also provides valuable removal protection

And red does have some good double strike signposts for the boros archetype:

After abandoning this theme more and more, I decided to try it again as a subtheme in for {R/W}. Mostly, I'll add this card:

I hope and think a three mana 3/3 that might start right away to draw yoi an extra card each turn and can protect your creatures is a tempting buildaround for a lower power level.

I've also add a couple of Equipment-creatures for each color.

Let's see if it'll work out