General Fantastic, all-around staples you might not be running

There have been quite a few cards that have proven absolute staples, not only in my cube, but in the cubes of most people who have tried them here. And yet, since they are all a bit unassuming, they may have gone without much notice. Here are some truly fantastic cards that fit a wide arrangement of cubes and that aren't as common as I think they should be.

This might be one of the best designs in years. At its base, it's a twist Thraben Inspector. It's a small body, with a ton of different synergies. It's an artifact, it flies, it's a token. It becomes better with tokens. It replaces itself and plays extremely well.

It's also one of my favourite token payoffs. Most token related cards are a bit of a trap, because they are feast or famine, or simply because they require you to get several tokens at once. Staff is playable on its own, but becomes more than worthwhile if you can get an extra card. This is enough to support a small token subtheme, but it also provides card draw to an archetype that lacks it.

This is the second Young Pyromancer we always wanted. It's one of those fantastic glue cards that ties four or five different archetypes together and it does that from a completely different angle. Note that it triggets when either player discards and the tokens fly, so it has a much better baseline than you may have given it credit for.

Most people run cards like Thrill of Possibility in an attempt to give Red some filtering and late-game draw spells. Sadly, these effects aren't too great. Two mana is too much for a glorified cantrip, even if it provides a glorified discard outlet. Pound for pound, they are a worse Impulse, which most would not bother playing.

Don't get fooled by the green text, this an improved version of all those 2-mana draw spells for red. Like them, it has a limitation, but it can be played around and provides some interesting sequences possibilities. It's no more oppressive than Night's Whispers yet far more playable than any of its brothers.

The bonus here, of course, is the Druid itself. Quirion Dryad is a design masterpiec that, sadly, had been neutered by the better creatures we have today. Attaching it to a draw spell makes it far more playable, and provides some interesting decisions. Sometimes, you may want to splash slighty for it! After all, if your deck is mostly non-green, then the Druid can grow faster and faster. And if you play it for the ability, it may give you an incentive to go into red. Note, too, that it's now a human, which is a small bonus.

This is better than Remand. This is Remand in white.

Here's the thing, one of the largest limitations of the colour pie is that only two colours, black and blue, can reliably interact with instant and sorceries. This heavily limits what decks can exist in other colours, particularly some types of control and tempo.

Just by having Reprieve around I've noticed a marked increased in my deck variety. I see more Black White control, more decks able to defend themselves to deploy a four drop. I see more sneaking of little creatures with equipment and overall a healthier metagame.

Rumagging, that is, discarding and drawing, is a fantastically useful effect. Not only it gives players more control in a game where draws can be everything, it has a ton of little synergies. Most rumagging cards, however, are a bit awkard. They are either too weak, not repeateable or too expensive. Inti, while being completely fair, gives your decks that ability. If you have ever played with Smuggler's Copter in cube, you may have noticed it goes with everything and pushes you into interesting decks. But you may have also noticed that, being colorless and a flying 3/3, it's a bit broken.

Inti is a better balanced card, plus it has additional support in the form of counters and giving trample. It's an all-around great card you will play on aggro and more midrange decks, which is just what red needs.

Anyways, these are just five cards I think are absolute staples but that aren't being as recognized as they might have been. What are yours?

when feldon isn't on screen the audience should be asking, "where's feldon?"

World's greatest curve filler get this man a raise

Played one draft with this guy and was like damn he should have a movie contract

Ball lightning for the new millennium

Feel like this is the measured graveyard hate a lot of people are looking for. You may also notice that it is a dibosaur. Case closed.

On the come up, up next, etc.

This thing does not look remotely like a monkey what are they talking about

Remember him from 5 months ago or whatever? Yeah still a cool guy we talk all the time

Extremely fun to splash red just for the kicker on this dumbass

Good middle-ground looter between the old and new

Blood Artist with a more relevant body

Hey I didn’t notice they have removed some text from “Until the beginning of your next end step.”

Now it’s just “Until your next end step.”

Yeah Faun is awesome! My players have been really into it and it usually shows up in a deck if it's in the draft pool. It can be played as just a generic midrange value card that's just a scaling 3 mana Gravedigger, or it can show up in a variety of more synergistic decks. I've seen it in the lands synergy decks that want to fill up the graveyard with lands and/or has a way to get a bunch of lands in hand, I've seen it in graveyard synergy decks like self-mill and discard themed decks, and it's also showed up as a blink target a couple times. The fact that it says "nonland permanent" instead of "creature" is also pretty huge, since it allows it to show up in an even wider variety of decks and lets you get back stuff like a Pyrite Spellbomb or a Soul Snare.

Downside on it is that you don't always have lands you want to discard, but I like that it challenges you to decide when the right moment to take advantage of it is. And since it's a 3 mana 3/3 it's at least not totally embarrassing to just play out as a body depending on your power level.

Last edited:

(In 1% of cubes on CubeCobra). This card does so much. You smooth your hand, fill the GY and add to the board, all at instant speed. The delirium adjacent condition means you can get creative during the draft and deck construction. Flyers pressure the opponent and trigger Staff of the Storyteller that Erik mentioned. There is also a dream to chase, where you discard two cards and get four tokens or something (Grist + Urza’s Saga?).

(In 1.5% of cubes on CubeCobra). 4 mana for an instant speed removal that hits walkers and creatures can range from good to bad depending on power level, but a potentially free spell is nuts. Making it free is not trivial though, but even at 1 or 2 mana it’s a big game. Where this card pops though is that you get to enhance your board and smooth your draws and once again fill the GY. It’s also a rare combat trick where you can tap a blocker to convoke the spell and put a counter on it.

(In less than 1% of cubes on CubeCobra). This might seem like a wonky card (it is to be fair), but it’s a reasonable piece of GY hate with an insane ceiling. Regular attacking/blocking/removal will get creatures in the GY so it isn’t hard to find targets. It’s a self-contained +1/+1 counter engine that scales if you explicitly support
that theme. Emry, Welder, Grim Lavamancer, Giver of Runes, Fauna Shaman or whatever, the list is long, give you meaningful abilities to copy.

Just an excellent piece of equipment to push through that extra bit of damage and put the opponent in the danger zone once the ground gets clogged up and your wide board of little guys isn't as effective. Sometimes all it takes is one additional hit before you're in position to just suicide aggro with a wide enough board to punch in for lethal damage.

It's got everything you need at 3 mana with relevant creatures typing, an effect that is powerful but fair, and a serviceable 1/3 body that isn't oppressive at all. Turning a creature dying each turn into a new card is a very strong effect and this card plays equally well in decks ranging from Aristocrats to aggressive WB Aggro to defensive UB control. Every kill spell, chump block, or trade with an opponent's creature puts you ahead.

Right at the level you want for a planeswalker where it can be quite powerful in a dedicated U/R Artifacts shell but isn't so generically strong that it's a must draft for everyone. It does enough things to let you pull away with card advantage and plays much better than it reads. When you can set up the engine to draw that additional card per turn that quality just ends up being the difference in a tight match-up.

It's been the black version of Hellrider forever. The reach you get with this card in something like B/x Aggro or a B/x Tokens build isn't very common in these colors. When you can start combining it with draining effects ala Blood Artist or Zulaport Cutthroat you can really represent a huge swing in life depending on the boardstate to make your opponents blocking decisions much tougher. It's been in my cube since it's been released, never been disappointed with it at all. A lot of drafters seem to overlook it but it's a very powerful curve topper to give you that reach and inevitability if a game drags on for creature-centric strategies.

It's been the black version of Hellrider forever. The reach you get with this card in something like B/x Aggro or a B/x Tokens build isn't very common in these colors. When you can start combining it with draining effects ala Blood Artist or Zulaport Cutthroat you can really represent a huge swing in life depending on the boardstate to make your opponents blocking decisions much tougher. It's been in my cube since it's been released, never been disappointed with it at all. A lot of drafters seem to overlook it but it's a very powerful curve topper to give you that reach and inevitability if a game drags on for creature-centric strategies
Does the activated ability not read: pay 5: win the game? You can choose to attack with everything and let the opponent only block one of your attackers with all their creatures.

Does the activated ability not read: pay 5: win the game? You can choose to attack with everything and let the opponent only block one of your attackers with all their creatures.

Theoretically yes, but I don't think I've ever activated it in nearly a decade. The drain off attack triggers is usually enough to push through the last bits of damage, especially if you have recursive aggro beaters ala Bloodsoaked Champion or Gravecrawler where it's cheap to deploy again.

Nice to see a lot of my current picks in this thread...here's a few more for you consideration.

1711736661634.png
If you are currently running Champion of the Parish, please do some quick analysis on your cube and you may discover, as I did, that you have way more ways to trigger this good boy than Mr. Tricorn Hat.

1711736860106.png
Okay to be fair, this guy is completely untested so far but I think he was overlooked during spoiler season and he seems so incredible to me. There are *SO* many ways to trigger this guy and draw obscene # of cards. I'm in. Did you see also see Bristly Bill in OTJ? He is UB so I understand that will sour some people.

1711737314449.png
This guy is not exactly a secret but he's probably my favorite {R/G} card to draft and play with anymore. Sorry for more UB cards but there are some really good designs there!

1711737479860.png
This card does a lot and does it in a interesting way...also a hoser without creating non-games for anyone. Neato.

Last edited:
The first time I gave Urborg Scavengers haste and then it got to attack and also get flying and lifelink i was like oh wow i get it now. beautiful card.

Unsummon++ that's worth a big mana blowout and which ALSO lets Hero feel incredibly smart for targeting their own creature and refusing to pay 1. If you like the E Wit / Snapcaster / Unearth loop style of gaming this is one of the coolest pieces in the deck IMO.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The first time I gave Urborg Scavengers haste and then it got to attack and also get flying and lifelink i was like oh wow i get it now. beautiful card.

Unsummon++ that's worth a big mana blowout and which ALSO lets Hero feel incredibly smart for targeting their own creature and refusing to pay 1. If you like the E Wit / Snapcaster / Unearth loop style of gaming this is one of the coolest pieces in the deck IMO.
Highly recommend this. Only reason I cut it is because I veered into a very multicolored cube.