General Favorite Playest Cards?

Dom Harvey

Contributor
1683876131927.png

This is fine by itself sometimes and if you can go off with a small storm with this early you get a massive burst of mana in the future

1683876332744.png

A very flexible smoother if you want that

1683876438229.png

Look at this Chris Taylor homage

Pledge is actually a cool design for a Ravnica style set/cube. Take all the currently existing land cycles, throw "Pledge" on them instead of having a whole cycle, and you've got super flexible lands for any two colored deck!

You could do the same thing for three color combinations, but perhaps limit it to choosing a clan or a... Gang? Family? The Capenna shit.

What’s the backup choice here?
You always put the flying counter on another creature because it itself already has flying.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Barcelona and Vegas each brought new Unknown cards and a few of them are worth a trip to the label maker:

Force of Rowan 3RR
Instant
You may pay 1 life and exile a red card from your hand rather than pay this spell's mana cost.
Copy target instant or sorcery spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.

It's much easier to go off with a Fork effect when it's free! There's a real downside to doing that on 'just' a one-for-one removal spell or something but I'm already dreaming of this with Big Score, Fiery Confluence, Fireblast...

Questing Cosplayer 1G
Creature — Human Bard
When Questing Cosplayer enters the battlefield, create a Questing Role token and attach it to target creature. (If you control another Role on it, put that one into the graveyard. Enchanted creature has all the abilities of Questing Beast.)
1/1

My issue with the Roles in Limited is that you have to carefully distinguish between a bunch of small bonuses that are very similar in practice. This one may be confusing but there's no confusing it with anything else - this is a massive upgrade to even the wimpiest lil' Squire

Princess Snowfall 4WR
Legendary Snow Creature — Human Noble
When Princess Snowfall enters the battlefield and at the beginning of your upkeep, create a token that’s a copy of Seven Dwarves. When you do, each Dwarf you control deals 1 damage to any target.
4/4

Finishers that flood the board like Grave Titan can get old if they are just doing the same thing over and over. Here you literally are doing that but it builds out your board in a really impressive way - the opponent has a reason to fight over Snowfall herself and the individual Dwarves.

Cat Oven 1
Artifact
When Cat Oven enters the battlefield, create a Food token.
{T}, Sacrifice a Food: Create a 1/1 black Cat creature token. Each opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.

This homage to Cauldron Familiar + Witch's Oven is that combination done right (ignoring all the finicky game actions) - they work together in tandem but you can justify Cat Oven by itself much more easily with Familiar and it also scales nicely with other, non-repeated Food sources. You can support a sacrifice deck where one mana for multiple rectangles of various types is a good deal already - and then sprinkling in cards like Gilded Goose and Tough Cookie gives you nice seasoning.

The Barcelona batch were Commander-themed so most of them miss this conversation

Delve Too Deep XB
Sorcery
Delve (Each card you exile from your graveyard while casting this spell pays for
{1}
.)

Target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn. If X was 7 or greater, create a 7/7 black and red Demon creature token.

A broken card but very satisfying to cast and probably fine to be the top of your power band over some of the other broken nonsense out there?

Not much from Minneapolis; Philly had some bangers though.

Life Cloud XWWW
Sorcery
Each player gains X life, draws X cards, returns X creatures from their graveyard to the battlefield, then returns X lands from their graveyard to the battlefield.

The mirror of Death Cloud, this one is symmetrical but if you can take it early and build around it you can have a lot of fun shattering that symmetry

More of That Strange Oil 2U
Instant
Choose one
It's Probably Nothing - Proliferate. Draw a card.
That Could Actually Be Dangerous - Counter target creature, artifact, or planeswalker spell. Scry 1.

I like modes!

Untap, Upkeep, Draw 1U
{1}{U}
Sorcery
Choose one:
After this phase, there is an additional untap step.
After this phase, there is an additional upkeep step.
After this phase, there is an additional draw step.
Entwine {3} (Chose all of them if you pay the entwine cost.)

An extra draw step lets you cycle it, an extra untap step (after main phase 1 but before main phase 2) lets you keep chaining together stuff - a fine modal spell before you ask what that stuff is or what an extra upkeep would mean

Original Skullclamp 1
Artifact — Equipment
Equipped creature gets +1/+1.
Whenever equipped creature dies, draw two cards.
Equip 1

Still kinda broken but in a way that makes you work for it (or just as a strong equipment that heavily discourages trading). Actual Skullclamp is often oddly underwhelming in Cube (until you reach the cases where it's completely overwhelming); I wonder how this one would do, especially in a deck without ways to bin your stuff on demand

Soul of Mirrodin 6
Artifact Creature - Spirit
Trample
{5}: Search your library for an artifact card with mana value 5 or less, put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle.
{5}: Exile Soul of Mirrodin from your graveyard. Search your library for an artifact card with mana value 5 or less, put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle.
6/6

The idea of 'midcombat discard Soul of Mirrodin and exile it for Verdurous Gearhulk as a combat trick' tickles me pink - and that's a relatively tame example! My Emry/Welder deck wants to be filling its graveyard anyway so a reward for those that's also its own reward sounds great

Chancellor of the Mulligan 7
Artifact Creature - Phyrexian Construct
You may reveal this card from your opening hand. If you do, at the beginning of the first upkeep, shuffle it into your library and draw a card.
Menace
When Chancellor of the Mulligan enters the battlefield, draw three cards. When you do, any number of players mulligan. (They shuffle their hand into their library, then draw that many cards and put one of them on the bottom of their library.)
7/7

This might be my favourite Unknown card of all - this is everything I want from a creature I'm cheating in (including not being so cracked that it just ends the game on the spot), works with almost every cheat effect, and even shuffles itself back for stuff like Tinker/Polymorph. It's a combo piece with the Bowmasters and Hullbreachers of the world too! All that aside, the idea of it is just delightful

You missed my favorite, Really Charming Prince!

Really Charming Prince - {1}{U}
Creature — Faerie Noble
Flying
When Really Charming Prince enters the battlefield, choose one of the following four cards at random: Piracy Charm, Sapphire Charm, Trickery Charm, and Vision Charm. You may create a copy of the chosen card and cast that copy without paying its mana cost.
2/1
It sucks that it's at random, but that also helps with choice paralysis, and I can have the 4 of them ready to go in my token box. Having this effect on a 2MV 2-power flyer is pretty fun, I think.

I was able to snag original copies of Force of Rowan and Dig Too Deep that I'll be testing out in my cube. I'd want to run Questing Cosplayer as well since it's very silly and fun, but I currently don't even run Questing Beast for word salad reasons so I'd feel I'd need to change that if I made that pick.

Oh, I had missed this one, but this is probably the ideal RW equipments-matter enabler:

Ano'thr, Equipment Commander - {W}{R}
Legendary Creature — Kor Warrior
As Ano'thr, Equipment Commander enters the battlefield, choose two abilities for it to gain—
• Equipment spells you cast cost less to cast.
• Equip costs you pay cost less.
• Equipped creatures you control get +1/+1.
• Equipped creatures you control have haste.
2/2

and I'd certainly run this:

Potatoes - {0}
Artifact — Food
{T}, Sacrifice Potatoes. Choose one —
Boil—Potatoes deals 1 damage to any target.
Mash—Create two Food tokens.
Stew—Gain 3 life. Draw a card

and this:

Toe-Breaking Helmet - {1}
Artifact — Equipment
Equipped creature gets +1/+1.
{2}{T}, Sacrifice Toe-Breaking Helmet: Put two -1/-1 counters on target creature. Activate only as a sorcery.
Equip {1}

Last edited:
I was able to snag original copies of Force of Rowan and Dig Too Deep that I'll be testing out in my cube. I'd want to run Questing Cosplayer as well since it's very silly and fun, but I currently don't even run Questing Beast for word salad reasons so I'd feel I'd need to change that if I made that pick.[/B]

Can I buy your Questing Cosplayer? <3

I run roles in a DnD inspired cube.