Sets [FRF] Fate Reforged spoilers

January 23, 2015
185 cards
yasovadragonclaw.jpg

cruxoffate.jpg

What was the panel even about? They showed a few cards (ghostfire blade, briber's purse, smite the monstrous) with new art and the rare/promo sticker at the bottom, but they had Khans set symbols at their same rarities. What was the deal with those?

The green legend is sweet. Here's hoping for more hybrid!

I suppose these are more sneak peeks than anything else. So the time travel thing seems more to be like some sort of looking-back magic where sarkhan makes some decision rather than tardis travel. Alternate time lines sounds cool.

I have a feeling that the Ferocious ability is going to improve with this set.

What was the panel even about? They showed a few cards (ghostfire blade, briber's purse, smite the monstrous) with new art and the rare/promo sticker at the bottom, but they had Khans set symbols at their same rarities. What was the deal with those?

The green legend is sweet. Here's hoping for more hybrid!
FNM promos perhaps?

I suppose these are more sneak peeks than anything else. So the time travel thing seems more to be like some sort of looking-back magic where sarkhan makes some decision rather than tardis travel. Alternate time lines sounds cool.
I still think it is time travel. I'm pretty sure the Crux of Fate flavor text is referencing this

I checked and black and dragons don't really come together a lot outside of Kokusho, who was a much more fun card in formats where you could play them in multiples and when the game had different rules entirely.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Oooo hadn't seen that yet!

I think C1 is a bit too much to pay to protect a creature, but psudo-reprisal might make it good enough.
I dunno, I could never get people to pay 1 mana to protect a creature, let alone 2

CML

Contributor
Is anyone else super-stoked for FRF? It promises to have the most sweet enemy-colored Hybrid mana since Eventide

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Ok. Please be a sign that there are lots of charm-style cards floating around. I love those things.
There's the destroy all dragons or all non-dragons card as well. Seeing as this is the set where Sarkhan gets to choose what fate will befall his world, I find a subtheme of cards that offer two choices highly thematic. Job well done a Wizards!

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Agreed. Charms with two modes--where one mode is basically the opposite of the other--that have flavour text reinforcing the idea of choosing between fates are just so damned on theme. I can't remember the last time I got excited for a small second set, but I'm pretty stoked.

sandsteppemastodon2.jpg

Sandsteppe Mastodon {5}{G}{G}
Creature- Elephant
Reach
When ~ ETBs, Bolster 5 (Choose a creature with the least toughness or tied for the least toughness among creatures you control. Put 5 +1/+1 counters on it.)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
So, Abzan watermark, so clans are still a thing (as expected), but with a new keyword. I did not expect new keywords for all of the clans, but surely they won't include 10 keywords in a small set?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I love me a good +1/+1 counter mechanic (of which outlast itself is not)
7 mana is probably too much, even for 10 total p/t, but I'd love to see cheaper versions of this guy.

Ooo! Can we get a white 2/1 for 2, bolster 1?

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, that's how I read it. It's probably better to spread the love whenever you can, but at least there's a decent backup plan built in.

Is a 10/10 reach creature for 7 even good?
I like charms but that one isn't something I want in cube. The abilities are certainly an interesting mix.

I like charms but that one isn't something I want in cube.

It's not? I think it's 'wheelable' removal for aggro decks- kills blockers while being ineffective against their own creatures, and counters removal or gives partial wrath protection. Kind of like how an aggro deck wouldn't normally take condemn.