General Generic Tribal

Chris Taylor

Contributor

Creature Grenade {R}
Sorcery
As an additional cost to cast Creature Grenade, sacrifice a creature.
Creature Grenade deals 5 damage to target creature or player.
Don't underestimate the aerodynamic qualities of the common creature.

Really? Dralnu's Crusade looks worse than glorious anthem even if it does say creature, since being 2 color is way worse than the upside provided by making dudes black

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Black ZOMBIES! Now all your tribal lords will work. Oh wait... We replaced [tribe] with [creature]. Never mind. Creature Grenade is still a great name though!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Black ZOMBIES! Now all your tribal lords will work. Oh wait... We replaced [tribe] with [creature]. Never mind. Creature Grenade is still a great name though!

I'm with Laz actually, if I wanted this Reckless Abandon has been there for me the whole time :p

What I'm trying to illustrate here is most tribal cards are actually just the same cards we've always been playing with, except a bit more powerful because of the restriction.

Here's a few I thought were a little more irreplaceable: (I'm sure there are a billion more I've forgot)

I tried both Spikeshot Goblin and Kaboomist and even though i wanted them to be good they were not. I theme artifacts along red so i was really excited about kaboomist but even with toughness boosts and ways to take advantage of free artifacts the card was sadly lacklustre.

Was thinking that we need more tribal love in here!

So I start - tribal, poison and how I handle it (within my cube).

When thinking in tribal about cards there are four categories of creatures that i find useful. Some examples from my lowpower, all tribal cube but it should still be relevant for anyone thinking to incorporate tribal themes.

1 - Goodstuff

This card category is for everything that serves a primary function outside of tribes, but for the purpose of this discussion and my sanity of mind we are gonna lump them all in one. These cards fit into a lot of archetypes, they do really well even on their own, you don't really care about their tribe when you pick them. They need to be in your cube because you want to see more than just tribal play, you want more types of interaction, you want to respond to a variety of threats, have an original plan, just plain win, all that good stuff. But when your goodstuff isn't part of a tribe, players will feel sad when they draft tribal, because they feel like they are missing out on the goodstuff. I solved this by making all goodstuff tribal in my cube, pretty much the same solution that most ripetiders have taken to archetypes where your goodstuff incidently (but purposefully) supports one or more archetypes mine also supports tribal. It helps with the overlap of tribes and archetypes so that strangely synergestic decks like aura giant and goblin/vampire tokens () have been drafted and actually wins games... This solution is very drastic and not for everyone (will probably reduce your powerlevel drastically as well), but a more reasonable suggestion would be that if you got something like you might as well make it an if you want to support wizards as a tribe, that's one more potencial wizard and riptide lab looks like a much better pick in your next pack. You don't have to go full out tribal, but some "sacrifices" should be made if you want to reap the benefits.

2 - Incentive to specific tribe

These cards work well on their own, but they work better with pals. You are not locked in specific tribal play, but they can get ya looking. I try to keep these cards at a similar powerlevel to the goodstuff (in a vacuum), maybe a little weaker. In some areas they should replace your goodstuff but with a similar function (turntimber ranger makes tokens, and tuktuk scrapper is in place of artifact removal slot) But in the same way that most goodstuff rewards certain archetypes these cards should reward certain tribes. If the powerlevel of goodstuff and incentive are way off then tribes will not be drafted, so tarmagoyf level goodstuff probably shouldn't be in a cube that is pushing a vampire theme because that level of goodstuff is just better than what vampires can possibly achieve ever. Or if you draft tribal you will either feel bad for taking goodstuff, diluting your tribe and vision, or passing goodstuff, knowing that you are stuck with a stupid tribe. Just keep your cube balanced even if you are gonna include a tribe or two and keep your incentives to tribes on a similar level as your incentive to other archetypes.

3 - Poison/specific

These cards suck outside of their tribal, but hopefully provides specific/powerful advantages that make up for it. These should be kept as low as possible unless you want a really easy/fast/linear draft process. When good, these cards are comparable to cards like or in the way that those cards reward or enable certain archetypes.

4 - Filler/generic tribal support

These cards are not necessarily part of a tribe, but they help push tribal themes overall. If you got two or more tribes you should probably have a few like these as well so that the drafting process when drafting tribes is more varied and so that you do not have to draft perfectly to get an ok deck. These cards are a bit weaker, sometimes very generic, but because they fit in so many decks/tribes they are still ok. In the same way that a generic aggro deck might want or control wants a a deck that incorporates tribal elements wants changelings and other types of support. The more tribes you got successfully incorporated into your cube (without much poison that is), the better these cards will look and perform, they also provide most of the overlap function that is necessary to blend tribes.

And some generic tips is that your creatures should preferably have multiple relevant tribes as well to help with interaction, doesn't need allies to shine if it got . This kind of interaction gets easier the more tribes you support within your cube.

Some disclaimers, this is from my experience with building for tribal play in cube, might not work for everyone.

Aoret

Developer
True story: when I woke up today to like seven tribal threads (the first of which was that golem troll thread where I lacked sufficient context to get the joke) I was really weirded out ans expected them to all be troll threads.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
True story: when I woke up today to like seven tribal threads (the first of which was that golem troll thread where I lacked sufficient context to get the joke) I was really weirded out ans expected them to all be troll threads.

Have you read/seen lord of the rings?