General Great Games of Magic (Videos)

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Few of these I wanted to share.

SCGDET - Legacy - Quarterfinals - Thomas Herzog vs Ben Wienburg
This is probably my favorite match of magic. Both games are incredible, but its game 2 that really is amazing.

SCGDC - Legacy - Round 5 - James Rynkiewicz vs Brian Braun-Duin

Watch this for game one. Very well played.

SCGCIN - Leg - Rd 5 - Gerry Thompson vs Andrew Tompkins

Watch this for games 2 and 3, which are just absurd. Game 2 starts at 6:19. Best part is when Chapin nearly flips the table.

SCGINVI - Invitational - Round 16 - Andrew Jessup vs Reid Duke

How do you win a game where your opponent is drawing 5 cards a turn off of a bident? Watch and learn.

GPNJ - Round 13 - Tom Ross vs Lam Phan

This matchup is really about game 2, which starts at 12:35. Just really complex and masterfully navigated by Tom.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
SCGNJ - Legacy - Round 9 - Eli Kassis vs Charles Hagaman

This one is for game three, which starts at 31:08. The whole game is good, but builds to a crazy finale at around 47:00. Somedays you just run well, really well.

SCGLA - Legacy - Round 3 - Gregory Hatch vs Chris Kapica

What happens when skaab ruinator, ninja of the deep hours, and sky hussar show up to a legacy tournament? A lot of fun.

Here's a video from the Cruise meta with deck champion and general mensch Joe Lossett on Miracles against Glenn Jones on U/R Delver:

the commentary is rock-solid, both players' decks are beautiful in HD, and although this wouldn't usually be that interesting a matchup Treasure Cruise at its height really was fearsome, so Joe fights here with early Entreats and hardcast Forces. A t1 Gitaxian Probe from Jones g2 reveals the riskiest keep i've seen in months; a wasteland-proof(his opponent isn't playing wasteland) two-lander with a Mountain and Plains (also a Counterbalance and Jace). What Happens Next Will Thrill You (it's Supreme Verdict). g3 is also pretty tense.

This one's from the Dig meta - an omnitell mirror! No, wait, come back, this rules: Yasooka Shota and Harane Kenta. Kenta's a relative newcomer to Magic but plays just as tightly as his opponent does; the first half-hour or so of game 1 is hand-sculpting and hitting land drops (with a few counterspell wars between). Since omnitell goes off at instant speed for zero mana, it's risky to Show and Tell, and the way the game plays out is really something to watch. This is from GP Kyoto and originally had Japanese commentary; a guy translated it and put this version up on youtube. The text flying across the screen are the chat messages from the live broadcast; kind of a cool feature hampered only by the sort of people who comment on Twitch broadcasts.

and here's a magic trick:

Grillo, do you have any good Dredge videos? Legacy or Vintage, I'm looking for people with efficient play using their entire board for their graveyard.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I think the best dredge video I've seen is this VSL video

Game three is the most interesting game, with Tom navigating a lot of sideboard hate.

Though I think a dredge deck won that legacy open you posted, so there might be something worth watching there?

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Not the best played game, but the game I have got the most laughs out of has to to be this video.
Games 1 and 2 set up for this awesome game three of ridiculousness.

I watch this match in its entirety like every 4-5 months randomly. It's by far one of the best Modern matches I've ever seen. UWR Control Mirror!

This was the first ever Magic tournament I watched, about a week after learning the game. Outside the Boggles matches, this whole tournament was fantastic to watch!

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
This is the famous nassiff v. chapin matchup from 2007 worlds. Game 3 starts at 1:04:40

This is patrick dickmann playing a very skilled again against affinity at pro tour born of the gods. Really like how he navigated game 1.

Heres another good legacy one. After getting crushed in the first couple games, Alex Basteki puts together an impressive comeback to win a SCG invitational. Starts at about 27:30

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I nominate myself

I guess the super early Murderous Cut was the play that won it, since he completely forgot about the creature.

Did you sigh with relief each of those two turns where you didn't lose?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, that game was fun to watch, hoping against all hope that he would not see it. While the mistake here was pretty glaring, it's so easy to make a mistake and lose because of it. In the quarterfinals match Dom played recently (there's a twitch link in the other thread) the commentators were asking themselves why Dom wasn't getting the classic Boros Garrison + Slayer's Stronghold, then when attacking get Simic Growth Chamber + Tolaria West, forgetting completely that he wouldn't be able to transmute for the pact in that case. It's so easy to lose to little mistakes like that, even the commentators don't always see 'it'. I like it when a video teaches you to be mindful of that!