General [Grid League] Penny Cube Grid League

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
So Kirblinx and I have been brainstorming the setup for a grid draft league, and we're at the point where can start taking signups if anyone is interested.

League Details

Cube: The Penny Pincher cube, which can be found here. Its a low power, bounceland based budget format. I strongly recommend doing some practice drafts, and looking over the previous grid draft threads if you're interested in participating.

Location: Magic the Gathering Online. If you're new to MTGO, you can download the app here. Its about $30 to get started, and I would suggest letting one of us know before hand, so we can run a few matches with you just so you can get used to the app.

Size: Right now we are looking at four (4) players total, with Kirblinx and I reserving two spots as the league administrators, so there are currently two open spots. We would eventually like to expand it out to six (6) players, as we get more feedback, and monitor the league's stability and performance.

Even if you're late for entry, still post, as I can maintain a list of people interested. Maybe we can eventually have play-ins or what not.

Entry Options: I would like a little feedback on this, but I would like everyone to donate one MTGO booster as a buy in, with the winner getting three (3) boosters, and the second place finisher getting one (1) booster. Either Kirblinx or I hold the boosters until the completion of the cube: we trust you with our cards during your sets, you trust us with your booster during the league.

How are Matches Organized: There is going to be a total of five (5) "rounds". Each round consists of each player being paired with an opponent, and completing one (1) color excluding draft "set". Each set consists of three (3) matches. So it would look something like this:

Example Pairings:

Round 1
Non-White Pairings:
Set A: Player X vs Player Y
Set B: Player Z vs Player Q

Round 2
Non-Blue Pairings:
Set A: Player X vs Player Q
Set B: Player Z vs Player Y

Round 3
Non-Black Pairings:
Set A: Player X vs Player Z
Set B: Player Q vs Player Y

Round 4
Non-Red Pairings:
Set A: Player X vs Player Y
Set B: Player Z vs Player Q

Round 5
Non-Green Pairings:
Set A: Player X vs Player Q
Set B: Player Z vs Player Y

How are Winners Determined: We are looking at a point based leaderboard rather than single elimination.

"Set" winners receive six (6) points, and set losers receive one (1) point for each game they won. This creates motivation for set losers to play their last match, as they can still maintain leaderboard position, or move up the boards despite losing a set. A set winning player will always get their six points, but the loser can make as many as four points, providing they play and drafted well, over the course of the set. This also should address any issues with tie-breakers.

After each set, each player reports their point totals, and I update the thread to reflect them.

How long do I have to Complete my Set?: Right now we are considering a two week maximum time frame for players to coordinate with and complete their matches. This is just to keep rounds moving, and if players complete their sets quickly, we will move to the next round.

How Do I Play In the League

Simple, post in the thread your interest, along with your MTGO screen name, time zone, and general availability.

Once we establish the players, you'll want to coordinate with either kirblinx or I, a time to conduct your draft.

The actual mechanics of how this all works is described in this thread.

If you have any questions, feel free to post below.

Than just have fun!

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Penny Pincher Grid League
{W}{U}{B}{R}{G}

Leaderboard
1. Aston 20 points​
2. Kirblinx 19 points​
3. MeltyMan 16 Points​
4. Grillo_Parlante 13 points​

Contenders
Grillo_Parlante (MTGO: Grillo_Parlante): GMT -6​
Kirblinx (MTGO: Kirblinx): GMT +10​
Aston (MTGO Ghostly Aston): GMT +0​
Meltyman (MTGO: Meltyman): GMT +2​
Pairings

Round One
{W/P} Non-White Pairings:​
Set A: Kirblinx vs MeltyMan​
Set B: Grillo vs Aston​
Round Two
{U/P} Non-Blue Pairings:​
Set A: Kirblinx vs Aston​
Set B: Grillo vs MeltyMan​
Round Three
{B/P} Non-Black Pairings:​
Set A: Kirblinx vs Grillo​
Set B: Aston vs MeltyMan​
Round Four (Current)
{R/P} Non-Red Pairings:​
Set A: Kirblinx vs MeltyMan​
Set B: Grillo vs Aston​
Round Five
{G/P} Non-Green Pairings:​
Set A: Kirblinx vs Aston​
Set B: Grillo vs MeltyMan​

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
We came up with this idea to enable some competition on Riptide(prize support, however minor, gives something for people to work towards). The grid drafts are great fun, just trying to promote people to play them is the hard part. People seem to be keen for normal 8-man drafts, just getting to that magic number is the hard part. With grid drafts and only requiring two people to co-ordinate time zones it makes it so much easier. The league format is also good as you don't have to wait around for 20 minutes for your next pairing like in an 8-man. You just need to wait a week instead for your next opponent :p

I would really like people to post just to get an idea if this seems enticing enough or what else we need to do to make it a real event that you and others would want to be a part of.

This should be fun. I look forward to smashing everyones faces.

Seems fun, i'm in.

EDIT: Though i'd rather put in some TIX over boosters, but what ever!

EDIT 2: maybe i should read the whole thing first:

MODO NAME: Meltyman

Timezone: GMT +2

Availability: Soon to be unemployed so any time, until i know what my next job will be :)

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Ok, sweet, have a spot for you.

I added you to friends (which anyone can do btw)

Thoughts on tickets as a valid entry option? 4 tickets as an alternative to buying a booster?

My time zone is CST.

I'd definitely be interested but I'm aware that time zones might be an issue, as I'm on GMT.

Also for what it's worth I think tix are better entry than boosters, as they're more stable. And more useful, really.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
So it looks like we have 4 people who are keen. I'm not going to assume that this will be the lineup for the league, so anyone else who is interested can still post.

For prize support, I was going to suggest that 2nd place gets their entry back and the winner gets everything else. So how about 5 tix per person. Winner gets 15 tix, 2nd gets 5. That gives the winner a free MTGO draft. Just a suggestion, willing to hear other options.

Timezones:
Grillo: GMT -6
Kirblinx: GMT +10
Meltyman: GMT +2
Aston: GMT + 0

I know when I can get Grillo on the weekends (which is apparently 10pm? Do you always play that late?)
For Aston, either 6am-Whenever (8pm+ for you) or 5pm-11pm (7am-1pm for you).
For MeltyMan I can really only play you in your morning (7am-3pm for you)

If anyone wants to play, but the TIX are holding you back, I'd be willing to pay for your entry.

If your giving away free money then I'll take some!
Cheers for the offer though Jason, but surely wit the amount of money people send on this hobby surely they can spare 5 tix for 5 drafts. It's a bargain!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
So... Guessing, based on timezones... Grillo is from the US, Kirblinx is from Australia, Melty is from ehm... Lithuania (darn, there isn't really an obvious pick in this timezone!), Aston is from the UK! How did I do?

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
So... Guessing, based on timezones... Grillo is from the US, Kirblinx is from Australia, Melty is from ehm... Lithuania (darn, there isn't really an obvious pick in this timezone!), Aston is from the UK! How did I do?

I think most of those were a given. US is a rather large place though, could have specified the coast at least. I am guessing Melty's from Finland, but I am just as in the dark as you on that one :p

I can't believe with only 4 players it is almost a World Series event. That is some cultural diversity right there.

Kirblinx, if i'm in this league, 9am - 3pm is what i could do easily any day of the week until i get a job.

5 tix sounds good to me. Also the prize layout is good.

Finland was correct by the way!

I think most of those were a given. US is a rather large place though, could have specified the coast at least. I am guessing Melty's from Finland, but I am just as in the dark as you on that one :p

Ya the Continental US has 4 time zones, and then there's Hawaii, Guam, etc in the Pacific.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Ok, I have the leaderboards, contender time zones, and pairings up in the second post​

I want to keep the buy in as a MODO booster, just because it makes things simplier: no concerns over valuation, mixing and matching prizes etc. Unless everyone wants tickets, than I would be ok with a 5 ticket buy in.

The first round is either a pairing with Kirblinx or I, so you can do the entry trade than (or before I suppose if you want).

Two weeks to complete each round, starting from tomorrow (I am going to send out a mass PM after this post), which is reflected in post #2.

****Time to battle!****
****Round 1 Start!****

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Just a comment, with 5 rounds, you don't play each opponent the same number of times. You're fine with this I suppose? A 5-color grid added would make an even 6 (play each opponent twice), and gives people the option to run two grids back to back if they want to knock out their games. Not sure what you have in mind though.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Just a comment, with 5 rounds, you don't play each opponent the same number of times. You're fine with this I suppose? A 5-color grid added would make an even 6 (play each opponent twice), and gives people the option to run two grids back to back if they want to knock out their games. Not sure what you have in mind though.

I thought about this, and that was going to be my solution if we decided to go that way. The way we have set it up is that Grillo and Myself only play each other once. This is because when the other two are doing their grid draft one of us has to be there to give them the cards. The fact that both of us have a set of the cube makes the process a whole lot easier.

We can add in the 6th round if everyone agrees (or finds that the fact that myself and Grillo, the two most experienced with the cube only play each other once a little bit unfair) then we can add it in as a bonus round.

Also considering a 3-match grid draft is going to take around 3+ hours to do I doubt any of us would be willing to do any back-to-back.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I thought about this, and that was going to be my solution if we decided to go that way. The way we have set it up is that Grillo and Myself only play each other once. This is because when the other two are doing their grid draft one of us has to be there to give them the cards. The fact that both of us have a set of the cube makes the process a whole lot easier.

We can add in the 6th round if everyone agrees (or finds that the fact that myself and Grillo, the two most experienced with the cube only play each other once a little bit unfair) then we can add it in as a bonus round.

Also considering a 3-match grid draft is going to take around 3+ hours to do I doubt any of us would be willing to do any back-to-back.

Ah, didn't realize each round was a 3-match (Best of 3? or all 3 played...) set.

We should figure out a way to add pictures fast after we have picked a row or column.
I was thinking snipping tool + word or something, but there should be some other method also....

Would make it a little more handy to check what you have picked.

I'm definite into this idea, but I'm in the middle of moving so my time and computer access will both be limited in the short term. I'll check in once things are more settled.

All finished up. It ended up 2-1 to me in matches. Here are the vods:

Draft and Match 1: http://www.twitch.tv/aston1988/v/52770503

Matches 2 and 3: http://www.twitch.tv/aston1988/v/52808939

And my deck:
RsXaSWb.png