Help! (IT help)

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Hey yall, any IT magicians here?

At my office we've got a problem. Someone is sometimes managing to send us a fake web page instead of websites we request over http. The page they send us is fairly simple, it just shows a loading screen and then sits there mining cryptocurrency for someone. That's not a big problem.

The real problem is, I can't figure out where the damn thing is coming from. We're on a subnetwork, separate from some other companies, and nobody else has seen the problem. I turned off all the machines and tried them one-by-one, and still got the problem every time. I've been looking for signs of ARP or DNS spoofing, but I don't see anything.

How else could this be achieved? I don't know how to go about finding the problem.

I set us up on a vpn, so at least the attacker can't snoop our traffic if they're in the network. What other measures could I take to prevent this from being possible?

If you can acces it, try checking your isp router settings for altered DNS server settings. More likely that it's situated there than on an individual pc.