Sets (JMP) Jumpstart Testing/Includes Thread

This is a testing/includes thread. Post pictures or a text list using /c with what cards you plan to include and what cards you plan to test.

Including if I open:
en_OzzRtMXY5J.png

Testing:
en_WhyZYLZZc4.png
en_8LZkLXRu2Q.png
en_hEtcdMNgtI.png
en_53m8ujjxO0.png

I think this set is pretty cool in how juiced the reprints are, and the Jumpstart "half-deck" draft concept could be applied to cube in some way. However, I think the majority of the new cards don't make it into cubes unless they support very specific archetypes. I think this is to be expected in a set with only 37 new cards. That's ok though- the point of Jumpstart was to create new cards for off-the-wall themes, not generic goodstuff. I bet someone else is going to have an entirely different test list from me.

What are your plans for this set?

Appearently Mr. Train find all sets weird because of mutate and cycling :p Will Wizards ever make a set without those two returning mechanics?

<3

Not much but I adore the Thriving lands

E444AC0A-4507-42F4-97AC-C16A2B3EB20D.jpeg 44A6F256-BD82-4932-B467-F638838E0162.jpeg 08168010-6BB7-4CA8-BBB4-A97C450740C6.jpeg
36BB43CA-E4DC-4FBC-8333-5EACDD9C5DB8.jpeg D144C14D-7214-4EA3-BA74-C7D4DCDCC6B2.jpeg 2037CBCD-FFD3-4563-9C09-E5A741CC205C.jpegE7CEBDC6-794E-4E85-BF15-59E775E27F23.jpeg 51387C4D-3FFB-40BC-8DE2-BB4EAF364A84.jpeg A40AE28C-F758-4F1D-95E5-570375B47C57.jpeg

Includes:
scholar of the lost trove

I'm a big fan of scholar. It slots in well with my sneak suite: Apprentice Necromancer, Makeshift Mannequin, Sneak Attack, Feldon of the Third Path. Works great in welder strategies, ramp, and control. Easy include for me.

Testing:
kels, fight fixer
spiteful prankster

Kels will compete for nightmare shepherd’s slot. My black section has a lot of large flyers and I’m looking to cull that some.

I’m looking at introducing a more aggro component to the sacrifice theme in rakdos and prankster would slot into that well. Would be looking at bogardan dragonheart and hobblefiend as well

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Do we know if Jumpstart cards are available in foil?
I believe they are not. I have no confirmation from WotC directly, but here's one (usually well-informed) source saying so: https://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2020/06/jumpstart-previews-begin-with-new-legends-and-dual-lands/

To quote the relevant paragraph (emphasis mine):
The set is made up of 600 cards—none of which are foil—including 37 brand-new cards that were designed to help fill out some of the themes, 120 or so cards from Core Set 2021 (whose preview season just ended), and more than 400 reprints from other sets. Those cards are split into 20-card packs that focus on one of 46 themes, from Dogs to Phyrexians to a specific Planeswalker.

I've seen other sources, like Ben Bleiweiss, stating the same.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
This set has some real hits in it
Here's my list:
Stone-Haven-Pilgrim-JMP-265.webp

Love this card, I'd been lacking in white artifact "payoffs", and this does a brilliant job doing what seeker of the way does for control decks with a different enough trigger.
Also there's an outside chance this is a decent aggro card. Porcelain Legionnaire, Bonesplitter, Glass Casket... It's unlikely in my cube but that could change

Scholar-of-the-Lost-Trove-JMP-265.webp

I've had a lot of my drafters make the mistake of trying to cast something like winds of abandon with their Torrential Gearhulk. I think the card is still worth playing, but I'd never thought to add artifacts to my list of castables.
I'm going to try it alongside it, see where we land. Not in love with the art, but it'll do.

Zurzoth-Chaos-Rider-JMP-265.webp

So I was going to give this a shot. On the surface, it reminds me of Goblin Rabblemaster, but as you need a devil (Mostly it, though there are a few others) to attack to get the token, so it's a touch closer to Hanweir Garrison. More synergistic tokens for an aristocrats strategy, but fewer of them, and it also has this random looting aspect.
I don't have a madness theme, so I think this will just lead to feel-bads if anything. It also "hoses" things like cycling where you get a token if your opponent draws a card, but since you can only get one of these tokens per turn this will only matter if you weren't attacking with a devil anyways.
What I like best about cards like this is the effortless stream of tokens, so I'm gonna keep Legion Warboss instead.

Spiteful-Prankster-JMP-265.webp

This thing, on the other hand, I am in love with. I've tried Hissing Iguanar before, but it was just so vulnerable it basically acted like an enchantment.
I love first strike on your turn from a design perspective, even if the aristocrats deck has been referred to as "can't block tribal".

Immolating-Gyre-JMP-265.webp

This card can be interesting. Based on how I've seen the scaling on Rise from the Tides, this can get absurd. I'm a biiiiit worried about 4RR plague wind (In Garruk's Wake?), especially since this hits walkers as well, but honestly my red top end has been so anemic for so long, all the control builds that involved it never had any red spells beyond 3 mana.

Just wow. A 4drop that supports +1/+1 and blink, I really love it.

Actually looks a bit too strong to me. Evasive body, sac outlet and payoff at the same time (and very strong on both sides!) looks a bit too good for my environment.

I already have a lot of incidental lifegain in my list, and I'm thinking about making it a minor theme. This would be an interesting addition then.

Discard is something completely usual in black, although I don't like targeted discard (because of the information it gives you) I can see this making the cut, if I end up with a lot of discard after the great overhaul.

I definitely want some sweepers, but they have to be somewhat conditional and/or expensive. This one however doesn't really look like what I want, as it's conditional and costs 6 mana, but makes up for being one-sided. Not a fan of both the pros and cons on this one.

I like how flexible they are (comparable to EWilds/TExpanse/ABarrens). Will definitely test them!

Other cards that at least look interesting to me: