Kirblinx's Type 4 Communal Stack

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Ravnica Allegiance Type 4 Review

So I did say that I would do more things for Type 4, so I decided the first thing I should do is a review of the new set for all the possibly playable Type 4 cards. Here we go!

Flash Creatures

Angel of Grace is exactly the kind of card that can find a home in type 4. Any flash creature has a decent chance, but this has a large evasive body, an okay ETB and an ability that can save you in a pinch later on once everyone has forgotten about it. When it drops in price I will definitely pick up a copy. As an extra thought experiment, I wonder which out of both this and Angel of Salvation is better? I think Salvation's ability is better than either of Grace's but the combination of the two makes Grace the better card in more situations. The extra toughness doesn't mean much in this format.
Frilled Mystic - Another Mystic Snake? Yes please. Any counterspell is grenerally good enough to make the cut in the stack. Having a 3/2 body, which is really quite small, is a decent enough. Can get in for chip damage as no one usually cares about things that small.
Spire Mangler - Even I have a limit as to what Flash creatures are playable in this format. A 2/1 flyer is not one of them.

Counterspells

Essence Capture - Counterspells are always king in this format, but I don't think a +1/+1 counter is worth only being able to hit creatures. It is another option anyway. I mean it is worse than Summoner's Bane, and I don't run that. The only restrictive counterspells I have generally draw a card, such as Bone to Ash and Scatter Arc. Once I keep adding too many cards that I need to increase my counterspell percentage, then I may touch these, but at this point I will keep it on the sidelines.
Thought Collapse - This could be fine, I mean I do run Cancel and Vex, but I don't think I like people milling cards. It doesn't really add anything unless someone as put something on top recently, but then they would have used their spell for the turn and someone else is about to draw the card put there and you don't have the instance to mill it away. I don't want to put it in for the sake of putting another counterspell in. There is generally a counterspell every set anyway.
Absorb - I already have this in my stack and is a great counterspell, just mentioning it for people who want to pick it up cheap.

Card Draw

Precognitive Perception - I do run Jace's Ingenuity, and that is the max of card draw I would like to run, otherwise people run away with the game. I think this is fine, being able to dig while wasting your spell seems like a nice upgrade to Jace's Ingenuity that will almost never be played, as you usually have other things you want to do on your own turn.
Prying Eyes - There can be too much instant speed card draw. I don't mind this though, as it only goes up +2 cards, which is about the max I want instant speed draw to do. I think I like it better than Fortune's Favor, as it saves doing the minigame that would arguably take more time to decide what to keep and what to lose. I think I might just stick with Precognitive Perception instead of doing both.
Verity Circle - Now this one is strange. I feel like it may draw too many cards. Crowd Favourites and Azorius Guildmage lock down the board decently enough without drawing an obscene amount of cards. I think this may be good for a stack that is even higher powered than mine, but as said above I have been cutting on big card draw as that just makes that person way too ahead as they can just stock up on counterspells. Unless I dramatically change my creature suite so there are more flyers I don't think I will be playing this.
Emergency Powers - I used to play with Sway of the Stars and it was always really painful to have everyone get a new grip of cards. As there is just a flurry of instants as everyone tries to get back down to the 5 card max hand size. This being instant speed makes it worse in my opinion. Could be an upgrade if you like Sway, but I am staying away.

Big Threats

Amplifire - Probably a little too random, even though it seems hilarious. The small morphs and ultility creatures dampen it's largeness. It would be good if it gave itself trample, but just don't think it will cut it in my stack. Could be cool for lower powered ones though.
End-Raze Forerunners - I like having another Decimator of the Provinces. A hastey boi that pumps your team is pretty decent in this format. Actually, maybe this is the creature the eldrazi possessed in the decimator? If it wasn't for the difference in planes, I would believe this was the case.
Ravager Wurm - A big haste creature and removal spell? Sign me up! Can do a lot of different things, which is what you want in this format. A lot of intricacies for a big dumb beater.
Wrecking Beast - A bit boring, but on rate for my stack. Anyone building a new stack should probably throw it in as a cheap threat.
Zegana, Utopian Speaker & Scuttlegator - Both are just a plain ol' 8/8 and 9/9. If Zegana could reliably draw you a card it could be worth it, but for now there are more interesting things than these vanillas. At least Wrecking Beast has haste.

Game Changers

Eyes Everywhere - This could lead to an interesting little subgame where permanents start sliding around the table. I have enjoyed Perplexing Chimera whenever it makes and appearance as it just changed the game in an interesting way. Don't know how much I like scry 1 in this format, since the stack is communal, if you don't want the card you just throw it in the exile pile (there is no bottom of the library) which just leaves a decent amount of cards unplayed which is a bit sad. I may give it a shot, but if had a different ability rather than the scry I would probably have jammed it straight away until it got too annoying.
Mass Manipulation - Now, this is something that gets a bit weird in Type 4. Is gaining control of every creature in play fair? At instant speed, no. But this being a sorcery makes me think this may be okay. There are enough wraths that there isn't usually that many creatures in play at a time. Blatant Thievery is great but not back breaking, and this only hits creatures, not all permanents. I'll give it a chance. It is once of those big swingy effects that I like to draw people into type 4. If it is just an 'I-win' button when it is cast the next couple of times I see it, then it shall be put in the Pyromancy cabinet to never be touched again.
Awaken the Erstwhile - I have been favouring discard more and more lately, as seen with Mindslicerand Sire of Insanity. I think what makes this fail though is the fact is that everyone gets zombies. So even if you are behind on cards, you will now be behind on creatures in play as well. Close but not good enough.
Mirror March - Like a more random (exciting!?) Minion Reflector. Could be worth a spin if you are in to that sort of thing. If I get a foil one I might swap it for minion reflector, as it hasn't been too exciting in games I have played.
Captive Audience - A really cool card that I think has a place in the stack. It takes an entire rotation to do anything, and I think the last thing you would do is give everyone zombies, but the first two effects are enough to give it a shot. Going to 4 is no joke and from there anything could kill you. A little less Door to Nothingness, which is always a good thing.
Ethereal Absolution - More graveyard hate is always welcome. It is like a stronger Necromancer's Covenant in that it hits everyones graveyard, and the tokens have flying. I don't think this will be too busted, as it can only exile creatures (to get the token) so it shouldn't spew out more tokens than Storm the Herd. I like it and shall give it a try.
Rhythm of the Wild - This seems decently strong. Giving everything haste is no joke, that is why Minion Reflector sees any play at all. Being uncounterable isn't that much of a boon, as most creatures just get hit with removal, instead of counterspells. The option to give a +1/+1 counter instead of haste is also a nice bonus that will probably never be used. I think this is cleaner than Mirror March, but not as exciting and I don't want too many of these haste givers so I will need to figure which of these I want to cut.

Utility

Rampage of the Clans - 3/3's aren't that threatening in this format, and having a sweeper for these kinds of permanents is sometimes handy. This is even an instant, which gives it even more ticks for approval. I think that it is just that little bit too niche. I don't have enough of these permanent types and this will mostly be stuck in hand. I think I will stick with Planar Cleansing effects instead.
Regenesis - Instant speed draw 2 is decent enough I think. The fact that it is permanent and not creature is a nice boon too. I think I will put this in. Will be great with Decree of Justice and Mystic Snake ;)
Bedevil - A solid instant speed removal spell. I don't think there has been anything that destroys creature or artifact in my stack yet (I don't have any Planeswalkers).
Macabre Mockery - I think this may be too strong, as it could get back a firebreather and kill someone outright. I don't mind giving a firebreather haste, but it has to be a permanent on your side to that people can be prepared if it does happen. No one will be expecting it from out of the graveyard. I will give this a miss, but it would have been a cool combat trick to steal an ETB and block at instant speed.
Consecrate // Consume - I actually really like this card. Can cycle itself in a pinch and possibly even counter a spell that cards about the graveyard. Otherwise it is a decent removal spell. I do run Tribute to Hunger and it has always been sweet. Being sorcery does hurt it a little but the flexibility means I think it is definitely playable in my stack.
Incubation // Incongruity - I don't think the first side will ever be played in this format, as you can only get a creature, which 90% of the time you will only be able to cast next turn anyway. The removal spell side is decent, but I like beast within better as it hits anything. Unlike the above card, the flexibility of this card doesn't save both average sides and thus I won't be putting it in my stack.
Repudiate // Replicate - Replicate wouldn't see too much play, as doubling up on a decent creature is just asking to have a sweeper be played. The whole card hinges on if Repudiate is worth a slot. Which I don't think it is. I don't have Stifle in my stack, the only ones I do have are Nimble Obstructionist and Trickbind. Both of which are uncounterable and have extra abilities attached. I don't believe the flexibility that can turn this card into a Mirror Image is worth putting this card in my stack.
Revival // Revenge - Revival will only hit about 4 creatures in this stack, so that side doesn't exist. Revenge is all that matters here, and to be honest feels just like a poor mans Sorin's Vengeance. It could be cute and still be a decent burn spell, but I just don't think it is just too variable and would be more like a sorcery Warleader's Helix more often than not, so will leave it on the sidelines for now.
Warrant // Warden - This is another card that is almost there, but not quite. Warrant is the side I want in y stack, as putting cards on the top of the library is sweet as it lets another person draw them. The only problem is that you have the restriction of it having to be attacking or blocking, so you won't get the option to draw the card yourself unless you are lucky that the person to your right was the one attacking you. A 4/4 flyer is a little under rate in my stack. If it was a 5/5 then we might be talking but at this stage it just won't cut it.
Depose // Deploy - Decided to write about this at the last minute as any instant can be decent. This one can cycle itself and tap a blocker (it generally won't tap an attacker as you can hope they attack someone else), which is passable or it can be an instant speed blocker. I don't think either side does enough again to warrant a spot.

So there we go, if you think I missed anything or want me to explain any card in further detail I am always willing to talk type 4.

Reactions: dbs

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
War of the Spark Type 4 Set Review
So I thought it was about time to do a review on WAR now that I can actually get the cards and see which ones fit well in my stack as well as potential cards for other peoples stacks as well. I have never been a big fan of Planeswalkers in my stack as they just don't usually do enough, but I will see if any of the ones in this set can change my mind.
Playable Planeswalkers

Ugin, the Ineffable - A removal spell that makes 2/2's that draw you cards seems decent enough, but I don't think it does enough to make the cut in type 4 though. Killing one thing at sorcery speed didn't that great unless is can do 5+ damage or draws a card. This will eventually draw a card (assuming they kill the 2/2) but just seems a little slow and underwhelming.
Narset, Parter of Veils - Mainly in due to the static ability. Cutting people off drawing cards is pretty strong and could be great in a draftable type 4 format, as you could make the downtick actually have a 100% hit rate, but in my stack the probability isn't high enough that I would take the gamble.
The Wanderer - Almost guaranteed to remove any creature in play. Don't think the static ability matters that much, and will probably die straight after killing one creature due to no on else wanting their creature to be gone. Similar to Ugin, just not as strong.
Liliana, Dreadhorde General - The Barter in Blood ability is what makes this stackable and better than Ugin in this stack. The Barter is almost like a board sweeper in this format, and the steam of 2/2's that could draw you cards is much better after a board wipe. This may be first Planeswalker to make it into my stack. I would never expect it to ultimate, and it doesn't really do that much in this format anyway.
Vivien, Champion of the Wilds - Giving things flash makes almost any card playable in Type 4. Replacing itself when it comes in (hopefully, with the downtick) and then being able to flash in creatures during other peoples turns makes this surprisingly strong for a Planeswaker whose +1 is very underwhelming. It is similar to Narset in that it is better in draft Type 4 as then you can assure you get your value. I am willing to give this a shot in my stack anyway, flashing any creature in is that good.
Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God - Nicol Bolas has always been the only PW that has been worthy in type 4 and this card is no exception. The +1 is surprisingly strong in a format with no lands as they will either be exiling a card from hand (card advantage is king in this format) or some ridiculous threat from each person's board (or maybe a leftover token). The minus is nice as an option but I don't think it hits as much as people would like. The ultimate will never be hit and the static ability will only matter if you have other walkers, which I don't (yet). So I think this is worse than Liliana, but still decent enough. If I lowered the power of my stack I might be able to fit it but at this point I might just give it a miss.
Ral, Storm Conduit - The only thing this card has going for it is the copy ability. Which could be sweet if you could ever activate it, but I would assume that it would just die by the time it wheeled back to your turn. I probably could have played Chandra, the Firebrand if I wanted that effect.
Teferi, Time Raveler - Now this. This is a card. Cutting off instant speed is such a bomb in this format, and this does that as well as allowing you to cast sorceries at flash speed. This card is pretty nuts, and will be attacked at first instance it is seen. At least it replaces itself, as this will not live long. If you can protect it, then you are doing a pretty decent job and have probably won that game. If I ever open one or it goes down in value, I will definitely give it a shot.
Saheeli, Sublime Artificer - Has an interesting passive that gives pseudo-haste (by turning a servo into the creature you just played, which is quite strong in this format. As with most planeswalkers it probably won't live long, but could be interesting.
Samut, Tyrant Smasher - Same as Saheeli, but gives actual haste. Haste is a big threat and will die a quick death. I think sticking with Minion Reflector and Mirror March are better as they are harder to deal with.

The God Eternals

God-Eternal Oketra - All the God-Eternals seem interesting in my communal stack variation, as then someone else will be drawing the God if the owner decides to put it back in the stack. I think Oketra looks probably better than she plays, as a 4/4 isn't too great of a creature in this format even if it is free. You also have to wait a full cycle to be able to get that free creature as well, which seems like a long wait. A 6/6 is a decent enough body stat and is alright on both offence and defence. I will put this on the sidelines for now, but will remember it for later if I notice a 4/4 isn't too bad of a body in multiples.
God-Eternal Kefnet - This one is probably the worst of the God-Eternals, as the stat line is the worst (4/5 flyer isn't great) and with the ability it would force you to use your spell for the turn, just to draw an extra card. Doesn't seem worth.
God-Eternal Bontu - Everyone likes to draw cards. There probably isn't that much in the stack that you would want to sacrifice, but there are some tokens that get left around that could be nice to eat. 5/6 Menace is a good enough stat and I could give this a whirl.
Ilharg, the Raze-Boar - Sneak Attack is strong enough as it cheats the spell rule and the haste rule all in one card. This is a much more reasonable way to try and cheat out some silly creature that was going to get countered and send it straight in there. This will look very scary from the other side of the table, even as just a 6/6 trampler
God-Eternal Rhonas - Doubling the power of any evasive creature is always a big threat, let alone your entire board and leaving behind a 5 power creature seems pretty strong. For all those creature lovers out there I would give this a shot.

Big Creatures

Niv-Mizzet Reborn - Probably better if you could draft around it. I don't think there is a high percentage chance of drawing too many cards with this in my stack. I think you would need to draw at least 2 cards from this to make it a worthwhile addition. I mean a 6/6 flyer is nothing to sneeze at.
Parhelion II - Speaking of big flyers. This card is quite the house. The only problem is that it requires another creature. It also can't block if you just play it by itself and makes you look like a threat if you play any creature next turn. This one is real interesting as I feel it is sort of like Door to Nothingness, just not as impactful, as it scares people but doesn't actually effect the board. I think I would give is a shot.
Merfolk Skydiver - Another infinite powered attacker. Sort of gives another creature firebreathing the turn it comes in. Too strong for my stack. I like my firebreathers to take a turn to swing in to give the chance of removal. Pass.

Removal

Single Combat - Pretty terrible, but I thought it would be funny locking people out of playing creatures for a turn. Will probably never end up the the users favour.
Finale of Eternity - This is a better Marshal's Anthem. I am happy enough to run this, as it blows up 3 creatures and brings back all of yours. Just need to make sure my graveyard hate is in order, as I think I am starting to run too many effects that care about the graveyard, just need a couple more counters to it.
Casualties of War - So many different things to blow up! I run Violent Ultimatum and I think it does a good enough job that I don't need to add another effect. I feel like I wouldn't get 3 targets most of the time. If this was an instant though, that would be a different story.
Dovin's Veto - Another counterspell to add to the pile. Sure, it is only a negate, but the uncounterability will be relevent every now and then.
Time Wipe - Another board sweeper. I don't think the unsummon makes it any better than say Duneblast.
Blast Zone - An uncounterable removal spell that hits anything in 2 turns seems okay. The threat isn't there unlike Blighted Fen to deter people from attacking you, so I think I will leave this out for now.

Card Draw

Commence the Endgame -It is like an instant speed, uncounterable Mulldrifter. If that isn't enough to convince you I don't know what will.
Bolas's Citadel - Being able to see what everyone is drawing it pretty cool, and being able to play the top card is interesting, but the fact that you don't have to pay mana makes the life payment a real downside. The second ability is most likely never going to be used unless you got a Storm Herd off, but that seems like a very niche outcome. Pass.
Ral's Outburst - It replaces itself I guess? I don't know why I put this on the list, it is just solar blast with a little more option int he card draw.

Utility

Lazotep Plating - Like a Pseudo counterspell that could chump block in a pinch. Doesn't do enough, but thought it was worth a mention.
Narset's Reversal - Now, this is a better pseudo counterspell. The best outcome is hitting someone else's sorcery as it would take them a whole turn to use it again, otherwise it is a good counter-counter and just another fun version of Wild Ricochet. I'd be happy to give is a chance.
Command the Dreadhorde - Life is a resource that isn't that large is this format, and this would most of the time would just be a Reanimate. Why run that when you can run Finale of Eternity?
Planewide Celebration - This can do a surprising amount of things. I think bringing back 2 cards and gaining 8 life is probably good enough. Heck, even 16 life is probably good enough. I want to see how it goes.

Okay so there was a lot of cards this set that I think can be good in Type 4, and finally some Non-Nicol Bolas Planeswalkers that can have a chance of changing the game rather than doing something small then dying. Here are my adds in order of how likely they are to stay in my cube:

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I am looking to shift all my Type 4 stuff into its own thread as it feels different enough from what my other cubes are and what I post in that thread.

Looking to mainly throw reviews in here on potential type 4 adds for new sets and maybe some theory.

I just posted a War of the Spark review in my other thread, so if you want to check that out, do it there.

I have asked for the relevant posts to be moved to this forum if it is at all possible.

Will update this later once my posts have been moved and I do a Modern Horizon Review.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Modern Horizons Type 4 Set Review
What is with all of these sets coming out so quickly... Don't have time to absorb everything in before the next set comes along. Modern Horizons looks pretty sweet. The power level is there and a lot of cool designs. Let's see what jumps out at me for Type 4.

Flash Creatures

Recruit the Worthy - The worst part of Blast From the Past comes in it's own card now! Making a 1/1 on everyones turn isn't too terrible, but in the end it is just a bad defensive card. There isn't any real way for 3 1/1's to be a threat on your own turn. They would just be there to stem bleeding. If they were 3/3's on the other hand, this would be different story, speaking of which...
Splicer's Skill - This one is strange, as the amount of value you could get from this is quite insane (especially if you get any buyback card) but the base rate is abysmal. I feel this would be better in a draft enviroment, as drawing this with a bunch of creatures just sounds depressing. Very cool card though and will keep it in mind.
Blizzard Strix - If only there other snow permanents in the stack to always have it's ability online. If that was the case, I think I would include it, as it is tricky enough and a flying blocker (and can do chip damage if needed). As it stands though, a 3/2 flash flyer isn't enough by itself.
Ice-Fang Coatl - This one is almost the same as the Blizzard Strix. Although the base rate on this one is decent enough that I could run it. I feel like there might be enough feel-bad moments where people would wish it had deathtouch, when it never realisitcally can in my stack. The best case scenario for this card in my stack is that it is a fog that cantrips, which I am sure there are more exciting things.

Big & Wide Creatures

Lightning Skelemental - I run Thunderblust and Elemental Appeal, as I feel they are about the right rate for a Ball Lighting in my stack. Tacking a Mind Rot onto the ball lighting seems like enough of an upgrade to make it worth the inclusion. I've been really on the uptick of discard too, making people have less options makes games quicker. This may sound like a bad thing, but it helps people who are behind catch up without adding more card draw. Not going to gung-ho just yet. People don't looking a lot of their hand on turn 1.
Hexdrinker - Tiny Progenitus is just as solid as it's bigger cousin. Going from being able to kill in 2 swings to 4 swings is a bit of a setback, but I like to think of it sort of like Rhox, a decent beater that is hard to remove and always gets it's damage through.
Pashalik Mons - Goes infinite if you have another goblin, or is a dragon fodder that pings. This is an option if you draft Type 4 and like having two card combos you can work towards, otherwise I would leave it on the side.
Rotwidow Pack - This feels very much like Pyromancy, which I cut a while ago due to it being able to come down and one shot everyone from nowhere. While Pyromancy worked best in the early game this little spider works best after losing a few creatures. If you have 3 creatures in the yard this comes and hits everyone for 2+3+4=9. Sure this could be less, but it could also be more and that is an issue. If it it only one player, then I might let it slide, as it seems a little harder to one-shot than pyromancy, but at this stage, I need to pass on this.

Removal

Archmage's Charm - Counterspells are great, especially ones that can be two other cards if a counterspell isn't what you need. Definite staple here.
Force of Negation - This one is better if you run the alternate cast spells odn't use your spell for the turn rule, but otherwise it is a negate that exiles, which is fine. I'd run it when the price settles.
Spell Snuff - Counterspell with potential upside? Always sign me up!
Generous Gift - I just cut beast within, as it wasn't doing enough. Run this if you like elephants I guess.
Lesser Masticore - Board controllers are always welcome. The initial discard actually makes this worse than Masticore, as it never usually made it back to your turn anyway. It is also on a tiny body, which makes it less of a clock, and persist is worse then continuous regen. I will still give it a shot, at least it is more of a win condition than Day of Judgement and does mostly the same thing.
Force of Vigor - Another return to dust, if that is required. Better if you use the alternate cost rule as mentioned in Force of Negation. Still prefer more flexible answers, so I will give it a pass.

Card Draw

Everdream - This seems like a better floor and higher ceiling than Splicer's Skill. Tacking this onto any instant seems great. Putting this on any buyback spell is nuts. I think it would be okay, and not oppressive in drowning people in card advantage. I am going to give it a spin and see how it goes. If it leads to people winning and unfun game states then it will get the cut.
Rain of Revelation - Thought it was worth a mention due to instant speed card draw. Not exciting enough for me to give it a try.
Urza, Lord High Artificer - Not as broken as you would think, as you can only cast one spell a turn. Still, being able to cast something on everyone's turn randomly could be exciting, but I don't like the logistics of having to shuffle the deck everytime. I don't want to errata the card, so I will not be putting this in. I could make a rule later on that you just grab a card from the middle of the stack as that makes it random enough, but at this stage I'll pass.
Yawgmoth, Thran Physician - Anything that can produce card draw is worth a look at. The proliferate ability will never be used, and sacrificing a creature may be a bit steep of a cost to draw a card. It would be good with any token maker, but I think that makes it a little too niche to see play.

Utility

Astral Drift - Sort of like Ice-Fang Coatl, in that the best case scenario it is a fog that draws a card. But the flicker could also give some solid value if you hit a Primordial or an Eternal Witness. It also doesn't use your spell for the turn, which is pretty cool. I think I would play this if I didn't think people would actually cast this card and while there is a decent amount of cards that cycle in my stack, there isn't enough that this would be worth playing as a card, unlike something like Skaarg Goliath and Jiwari, the Earth Aflame, which are mainly for the ability, but are fine by themselves.
Windcaller Aven - Speaking of Skarrg Goliath, this is sort of the same trick, an ability that doesn't use the stack to do a trick in combat. Astral Drift is the better of these two abilities, but I thought it was worth a mention.
Kaya's Guile - This does a lot of things at instant speed. Since it will always be entwined, it feels like almost an upgrade to Tribute to Hunger, which is a solid card and I have enjoyed playing it, so this will run along side it in the same vein.
Reap the Past - Getting all your cards back then discarding down to 5, seems like a good option. Has a card like this existed before? I feel like it has, but I can't recall anything. Anyway, I am going to run this and see if the amount of graveyard hate I have put in here is enough to keep this in check.

A pretty solid set as there are 9 cards that I am looking to add to me stack (seen in the spoiler below). Really excited to see how Everdream goes, I think it could be a real 'gang up on' card like Blast From the Past that I have been looking for. We will just have to wait and see.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Core 2020 Type 4 Set Review
Only one week and another review? I had some free time and thought I might try and do these reviews around prerelease time to make them more relevant. Also will give me some time to do some retro reviews and maybe some theory as well. I wasn't expecting much from this set, so this should be a quick review?

Flash Creatures

Masterful Replication - 2 x 3/3 Golems at instant speed isn't a terrible rate. I can see myself giving this a shot. Would this be better than Havenwood Wurm? Which I am currently not running... I am not entirely sure. I don't think I have enough artifacts in my stack to make the second abaility even worth a mention. If I was running Spell Swindle, it could be worth a mention. If I open one, I will give it a go, but I am not expecting much.
Nightpack Ambusher - Cool concept, just a little too small. Also, only getting a 2/2 3/3 to miss out on casting anything at sorcery speed isn't worth it in this format. If this was a 5/5, then I would actually give it a spin.

Big Creatures

Sephara, Sky's Blade - Avacyn lite. It is also a tad too narrow, as it only gives flying creatures indestructible. So this is more often than not a 7/7 Flying Life-linker, which while not terrible, isn't exciting enough to keep me interested.
Atemsis, All-Seeing - What even is this static ability? It reads very interestingly, but in practicality It will never go off, having a full hand with different CMCs and contacting with a creature is almost within magical Christmas land. The base rate isn't good enough to get here on it's own. If it didn't discard a card, then I would run it, but as it is I will let it pass.
Drakuseth, Maw of Flames - Big boy that does damage on attack. Nothing real exciting here,just another dragon option if you like dragons.
Gargos, Vicious Watcher - A big boy that can remove other creatures if targetted. Probably a little too narrow, as most removal is board sweepers and it probably can't even kill that many creatures if it does fight. Pass.
Shifting Ceratops - This is very close to being playable. It is like a mini Thornling or Gaea's Revenge. If it had 6 power I think I would definitely give this a run, but a 5 powered haste creature is pretty on-rate for my stack, so I am going to give it a try.

Infinite Power

Herald of the Sun - I am not going to talk about these individually, as they are all pretty much the same thing in that they produce infinite power. They all do it in a variety of ways, the Herald and Cavalier makes your entire team big, Ironroot Warlord goes wide with infinite power and Glint-Horn does some weird Fireblast Dragon Impression that kills everyone.
I am fine with infinite power in my stack as it allows games to end and presents a must answer, but they can't be too easy to win with. I like having to wait an entire table cycle to kill someone seem like enough of a reward. This is why I run Dragon Whelp, Door to Nothingness and Infinity Elemental. They are all big and scary, but they are also easy to deal with (and very meme-able). If I was going to run any of these I would pick Voracious Hydra, as it is also a removal spell, but I am happy enough with the quantity I have in my stack now.

Card Draw

Drawn from Dreams - I am not currently running Dig Through Time, even though it does fit my criteria of no more than 3 cards, just that the amount of cards it sees is quite large. My main issue is just losing cards from the stack. Using this card, there will be 5 cards that won't be used in this play session (I tend to just run through the whole stack whenever I sit down to play), and that just makes me sad. Anything that put a large about of cards shuffled into the library or on the bottom I dislike for this reason. I don't know what my cap is on cards seen but not used, probably 3 or 4, but this is just too many. Otherwise I think this is a decent enough draw spell, even at sorcery speed but it just isn't for me.
Scholar of the Ages - Speaking of drawing 2 cards, this is looking decent enough. The only akward part is that it may not always draw you 2 cards. This can be manipulated by just holding on to it for as long as you can until you need it. Plus getting 2 cards you can choose from is usually better than 2 random cards. The sad part is a 3/3, which is better than Eternal Witness, but still very mediocre in this stack. I am keen enough for another Mulldrifter/Eternal Witness hybrid, so I will give it a go.
Cavalier of Gales - I don't have enough Brainstorm effects in this stack. They are actually pretty decent since you can stack what your opponents will draw. I think taking it onto a 5/5 flyer is decent enough, I mean I am running Mulldrifter, and this is fairly comparable. While a Brainstorm isn't a divination, mucking around with opponents draws has to count to almost a card right? I would give this a run.
Vilis, Broker of Blood - Now this is pretty close to broken. I haven't been game enought o run Greed, as being able to draw cards with life is quite broken in this format. Most of my card draw has been limited to no more than 3 cards per spell as card advantage is that important in this format. I am not sure what life cost I think a card is worth in the format. I think 3 life would be close, but 2 life is cutting it too fine that I am not game enough just yet.
Bag of Holding - This seems okay. I mean I run Desolate Lighthouse and it has been serviceable. This has the bonus in that you can get all your cards back that you have looted if you want to cash it in. I feel this is decent enough that if I get one I will give it a go, but I am not on the hunt to put it in.
Golos, Tireless Pilgrim - This one is broken. I don't know why I mentioned it, as you can just exile your entire library. It may have a place in a draft Type 4 as a sort of super tutor where you can find the spell you need in your deck at the right time.

Utility

Tale's End - While I can usually never say no to a counterspell, this one is just a little too narrow. I am not running Repudiate // Replicate, which in my opinion is arguably a better card, as I believe the self-clone option will be more relevant than the countering of a legendary spell. I am too lazy to do the math on my stack on the Legendary percentage, but this would be a decent add if you do have a lot of legends.
Thought Distortion - I did say that I have been liking discard more recently. The uncounterablility of this is what makes it quite powerful. I think this is fair enough (I mean it can't be any meaner than Ghost-Lit Stalker). The fact that it can whiff, or completely wreck an opponent gives it the nice swingy nature that this stack can provide. I going to run this.
Shared Summons - Not for my stack, but for the draft Type 4 cubes this is a nice instant speed draw two that gets you your creature based combo pieces. Probably a little too strong, but I'm not too well versed in that version of Type 4 to be able to know for sure.
Colossus Hammer - Everyone likes a good meme. I think I would probably run Argentum Armor over this, but still, being able to equip this to a hasty creature seems like a great story maker and I will see what my playgroup thinks before I add it.
Chandra, Awakened Inferno - I think the spiciest part of this card is a uncounterable Curse of the Pierced Heart, which shows how mediocre Planeswalkers are in Type 4. The sweeping ability can be used to counter Army of the Damned or Storm Herd, but not much else. The last ability is just doing to be picking off utility creatures that the sweep ability can't hit. Most of the time it will just sit there giving people emblems, which is a little too slow in a format were Magmatic Force and Inferno exist.

Well, that was a lot more cards than I thought I would talk about, but in the end, only two cards I am happy to try, 3 I am not expecting much from and 2 that I will throw in in my playgroup wants me to.
There is a lot of mana sinks in this set, more than any other it seems, which I guess is the easiest way to make a simple limited environment? I have never seen a set with so many cards that can go infinite.

Here are the final standing of the cards I am interested in:

I will do another review on some other standard sets that I haven't done yet, just to see if there is any spicy cards I have missed over the last couple of years.

Peace.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Throne of Eldraine Type 4 Set Review
Man, I left this one for a while. Just been busy grinding drafts and pioneer on MtGO. I feel it is getting on the border of obsessive, so I am taking a break until MagicFest Brisbane. May as well upgrade my stack in the time being.

Flash/Haste Creatures

Brazen Borrower - I don't think the Disperse effect makes up for the anaemic body here. A great card in a variety of formats, but not what I am looking for here.
Clackbridge Troll - An 8/8 with haste is nothing to sneeze at. This card is interesting in a multiplayer format, as the person who gets the goats may not sacrifice as you can promise to swing in a different direction. If you can't swing, you still draw a card, which is a great bargain in this format.
Rankle, Master of Pranks - Similar to Brazen Borrower in which it's small body may not be able to make up for its interesting abilities. It can always just be a global edict that hits someone for 3, which may be good enough as a base. Making others draw cards is generally not a good idea, so there isn't as many good modes to pick from like in other constructed formats. Could be worth a try, but I'll just keep him in my standard deck for now.
Lochmere Serpent - This one looks a little weird, because 2 of it's abilities don't function in this format. Still, a 7/7 flash with the ability to come back from the dead for free seems like a great addition.

Big Creatures

Harmonious Archon - A fairly unique effect and a welcome one in a world with big creatures. May make board stalls happen, but one piece of removal will fix all that. Seems fun with any token strategy. I'll give it a chance.
Realm-Cloaked Giant - A sweeper and a big threat later? How have you not gotten in my stack yet? Could be interesting to see how many creatures this doesn't hit. I am assuming not many.
Feasting Troll King - A big body that either has a inbuilt death protection or gains 9 life. I feel like I have put in creatures that with average stats before because they almost gain double digits in life before (maybe Creakwood Ghoul). Could be a little bit boring, but I might make another pile of generic 'good stuff' creatures to swap in and around to make the stack feel fresh.
Stonecoil Serpent - I only just remembered this had trample. Probably too strong. You'd be surprised how relevant the protection from multicoloured ends up being.
Steelbane Hydra - At least this one doesn't have trample? I always liked Kalemne's Captain as there isn't too many things that can blow up all artifacts/enchantments and this is like another version, just with infinite power. Probably too strong and would have to leave on the bench.
Thorn Mammoth - This card seems spicy, as it can repeatedly kill any 5/5's or less on a decent sized beater. Will definitely pick one up if I can ever get access to these brawl deck cards.

Removal

True Love's Kiss - Another Slice in Twain. On the plus side it exiles. Can only have so many of these effects as they are a little too narrow.
Didn't Say Please - The milling may actually be a downside, but I never say no to new counterspells.
Murderous Rider - I don't know even why I put this on the list, the body is way too anemic and the removal side hurts more than other options would. I guess its prevelence in standard made me think it might be worth it, but now that I am writing this review, I can't see this making any version of my stack.
Sundering Stroke - 7 damage to 3 targets? Seems decent enough. I can imagine this just being used to hit each opponent for 7, but being used as a removal spell that hurts people is decent as well. Feels like a sorcery speed Inferno, which doesn't hurt yourself, which makes up for the lack of instant-speed.

Card Draw

The Magic Mirror - I don't run Mind Unbound as I feel it is just too slow. This is pretty much the same card, so I will not be running this either. I feel this one is worse, as artifacts are easier to kill than enchantments as well.
Into the Story - A second version of Opportunity? I already cut that card for being too strong, but if you like lots of card advantage, then add it in.
Thrill of Possibility - A filler card if needed. Helps keeps the game flowing by getting rid of narrow answer cards to get to threats to end the game. Tormenting Voice was never worth it, but making it instant makes it better than Opt.
Return of the Wildspeaker - Breaks my rule of drawing more than 3 cards at instant speed. Does require a little bit of effort to get to that point, and you could possibly be blown out. More risk/reward than other card draw options that I might give it a look. Also has a nice second mode that could surprise someone in a pinch. I'll give is a solid maybe.
Castle Locthwain - Now, this is a land. I think the lifeloss is more than appropriate compensation to have a steady flow of cards on a permanent type that is hard to deal with. The only downside is that it has to come in tapped. Otherwise I think this is a slamdunk and may never leave the stack.

Utility

Stolen by the Fae - Seems cool with the number of large mana costs in the stack. Feels like it could be Hoverguard Sweepers 1.1 (probably not good enough to be 2.0), just splitting the P/T across a lot of bodies. I think I just talked myself into giving this a go.
Embercleave - Combat tricks are always hard to evaluate. For some reason I feel that Skarrg Goliath is fine, but Wrecking Ogre is not. This is probably near the Wrecking Ogre end, but it is counterable, unlike the other two. This one does stick around as well, which makes it slightly better. Hmmm. I want to give it a run and see how many blowouts it causes. If it leads to many unfun deaths then I can take it out.
Once and Future - This is the kind of instant speed card advantage I like. Not too many cards, but the card quality you get is good as you get to pick from you best spells from throughout the game. I can't think of a similar card either, so it is nice and unique at instant speed, which is my ideal type 4 card.
Covetous Urge - This card has wrecked me so many times in limited that I wanted to give it a look here. It replaces itself and steals the best card out of an opponents hand. I don't know if that is worth taking an entire turn off. Would be great if you hit an instant off of it. I'll keep it as a maybe in the back of my mind, but at this stage leave it on the sidelines.
Oko, Thief of Crowns - It is breaking every other format in half, why not this one as well? Well, you see it doesn't do enough with the speed of the format. Being able to neuter all the big threats in the format to 3/3's is cool, but it doesn't actually remove them. The switcheroo doesn't really do anything either, as most of the things you want will have more than 3 power. The other option is to gain 3 life every turn, which isn't enough, when the average creature int he stack is a 5/5. Sorry Oko, this is not the format for you.
Castle Vantress - Lands are great free spells in this format, and being able to sculpt yours and one of your opponents is probably good enough to give this a spin. Really like this cycle of lands, they seem great in a lot of formats.
Castle Ardenvale - This is the last land that has a chance, but I don't think popping out a 1/1 each turn is worth a card. I think it would need to be a 3/3 each turn to stand a chance but as it stands, it isn't enough.

A powerful set with a decent amount of Type 4 playable cards. Also has the upside of having easy access to fancy versions of these cards to, for the real spicy type 4 experience.

Here are the cards I am looking to put in (in order):

I will do one on the commander set later. I had written up the bones for it before it got lost in a computer reboot. Plenty of time over the holidays, so should be up by the end of the year.

Peace.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Theros: Beyond Death Type 4 Set Review
Now that the set has been out for a while, time to do my review. From doing a lot of limited play with the set so far I don't think there is much in this Set for Type 4, but lets see:

Flash/Haste Creatures

Thryx, the Sudden Storm - Only one worthy flash creature and he isn't all that fantastic. His ability doesn't do anything in the stack and he is only a 4/5, which is below rate for a flyer in this stack. If I pick up a foil I will throw it in, but it doesn't excite me and it isn't that good.

Big Creatures

Kiora Bests the Sea God - An 8/8 Hexproof that can steal a permanent later? Sounds like a good deal to me. This is the card that excites me the most from this set. DOn't know if that is a good or bad thing.
Dreamshaper Shaman - This seems like a spicy addition. I like randomness, it is one of the quirks of the stack and this could transform any mediocre permanent on you side into anything, even a boat! The stats on it aren't terrible either. I am willing to give this a shot.
Nessian Boar & Treeshaker Chimera - Look at these two cards. They are almost exactly the same in the same set. Except one draws you cards and the other let's your opponent draw cards. Is waiting a turn to be able to kill an opponents creature(s) worth the draw 3 card payoff? Possibly. The boar stands no chance, but I am mildly intrigued by the Chimera.
Dream Trawler - 5/5 Flyer that draws cards, gains life and has partial protection? Seems like a good deal. Card is being nuts in standard, let's see how well it works in the stack.
Haktos the Unscarred - There are some weird circumstances that come about when you have unlimited mana. The fact that there aren't many things below 5 CMC means this guy is much better than he would be normally. Still dies to board sweepers though, so isn't too opressive. I would have preferred it have haste, then it could be like another Gaea's Revenge, but I think it needed 1 more power to get there, as it needs 4 swings to kill someone by itself. Will keep it in the back of my mind.
Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger & Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath - Both the Titans are moderately mediocre here, as they still cost you your spell on both the normal cast and the escape. The normal cast is nowhere near worth it (although Kroxa is close to playable). The escape won't happen for a decent time and not too often throughout a game. They just aren't made for this format.
Grasping Giant - Cool part is that it can't be blocked and is a decent blocker as well. I mean, it has does enough to make the stack, but it doesn't excite me and probably won't excite my players.
Demon of Loathing - See above. It has the right size stats and a decent ability that could be relevant. It just isn't exciting. I think I like this better than the giant as it can at least act as a removal spell as well instead of being a brickwall. Fine card, just nothing special.
Terror of Mount Velus - This one excites me though. Giving doublestrike to your team is very exciting, even if just for the turn. I have always like Avatar of Slaughter and this feels like a mini version that should do the job nicely.

Removal

Shatter the Sky - The typical board sweeper, but it let's your opponents draw cards! There are many boardsweepers to choose from for the stack and this isn't one of the ones I would choose.
Ashiok's Erasure - An Oblivion Ring for a spell is an interesting concept. I am always up for any sort of counterspell, even for ones with downside. This one has the downside that it is only temporary, but I think it could still have a place. I like the tension of it not completely removing the threat, but others may not. We shall see how it goes.
Memory Drain - A counterspell that also scrys? I have always loved Discombobulate, and having another different version would always be going in.
Eat to Extinction - Instant speed removal that surveil's isn't too bad, but doesn't do enough that other removal spells can take its place.
Pharika's Spawn - This one is interesting in that the only good side of it is the escape side. I think that edicting every player is pretty cool and that it can come back is also decent, but the fact that it is just a dorky 3/4 on the front end means I can't justify running it.
Labyrinth of Skophos - Any land that can stop an attacker is going straight in almost no matter what it says. Heck, this is almost an upgrade to Maze of Ith as it doesn't untap the creature.

Card Draw

Eidolon of Philosophy - Drawing three cards is always a good option. This can also be reanimated and chump-block once. I think I might just swap out concentrate for it, as it is almost strictly better.
Glimpse of Freedom - Being instant and being able to convert used cards into a free card made me think this might have a place. It takes way too many cards in the graveyard for it to be good though. I think if it only exiled 3 cards I would definitely give it a go, but with what it is now, I can't justify giving it a chance.
Omen of the Sea - Filters a little and can screw up peoples draws. Probably feels a little too much like filler that doesn't really 'do' anything. I'll hae to check my stack if I have any similar effects to this and see if they are worth keeping.
Thirst for Meaning - I don't run thirst for knowledge, so I am also not going to run this. There are plenty of other and better card draw options.
Allure of the Unknown - I am probably the only person who is excited about this card. I know I had a hard limit of 3 cards you can draw, but I feel like the downside of giving an opponent the best free spell could mitigate it. Probably the only format where this card could be good and I am excited to see how it goes.

Utility

Minion's Return - Seems like a fun addition to be able to steal a creature or save a creature when removal hits it. Needs too many things to go right for it to fit in my stack. Could be cool in a lower-powered stack.
Tymaret, Chosen from Death - I've been a fan of Creakwood Ghoul and Scavenging Ooze. They are both strictly better than Tymaret. If I need another version of this effect I know this card exists, but at this stage I think the other two are enough.
Purphoros, Bronze-Blooded - This seems like a fun Temur Ascendancy/Rhythm of the Wild alternative. I don't think the activated ability does enough compared to what the other two do that I can justify putting it in. Really cool sneak attack variation though.

Interventions

Heliod's Intervention - I was so hoping I could use these, as they are flexible instants that you can sink any amount of mana into. They all have one mode each that make them unusable in my cube. Heliod's and Erebos's gain infinite life. Nylea's and Thassa's search the entire stack. Purphoros's makes an infinite powered hastey attacker, which is just too much. It makes me sad, maybe next time they will have abilities I can use.

There was surprisingly more to talk about here than expected. There is also 3 cards that were definitely going in and 5 other cards that seem decent enough to give a spin. Not every set needs to have a pile of winners. Plus it saves me from trying to find cuts in my stack (I can't keep just adding cards forever).

Still need to do commander 2019. I will get there eventually.

Peace.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I think I attempted to write up one for Ikoria a while ago, but as per usual lost all progress then decided not to continue with it. 3 Sets later, and COVID-19 is starting to dissipate (in Australia at least), so I can probably start playing this again.

Ikoria Type 4 Set Review
Build a bigger monster you say... I do like big monsters:

Counterspells

Neutralize - A definite shoo-in. It is a counterspell and you can cycle it if you need to survive combat and try and find a trick. Strictly better cancel is definitely going in if cancel is in.
Voracious Greatshark - Exclude but instead of a card you get a 5/4. Pretty decent rate, plus you can always just play it as a 5/4 flash creature, which does beat down pretty handily Definite addition, does everything this format wants.

Cycling Creatures

Avian Oddity - This is interesting as the spell itself is terrible rate for this format, but the cycling side is slightly interesting. The fact that the counter sticks around means it is slightly more appealing than Windcaller Aven, which isn't in my stack. Probably still not intersting enough to be worth a slot though.
Void Beckoner - Is a big boy that you can cycle away. Deathtouch is pretty irrelevant in this format, but I guess the option is nice. I think probably isn't enough for me to put it in though.
Lava Serpent - Haste is nice, cycling is nice, just doesn't have enough wow factor. I think Yidaro is probably just better.
Sanctuary Smasher - First strike is probably just as irrelevant as deathtouch, but this is on an even smaller body. Pass.
Yidaro, Wandering Monster - Big boy? Check. Haste? Check. Trample? Nice bonus, but not really needed. Cycling is what makes this work though. Love the big durdle turtle and will definitely be adding it in.
Titanoth Rex - This is the biggest boy. I like this card the same as I like Krosan Colossus and Krosan Cloudscraper, big generic creatures with a bit of a trick. This one's trick is taht it can be something else, but an 11/11 is a pretty decent rate. I'll give it a shot. Bonus points for godzilla art as well.

Other Big Creatures

Kogla, the Titan Ape - A big angry ape that is also a removal spell seems pretty good. Just a shame that the average creature in here is a 6/6, so it might not be big enough to survive most fights. The activated ability is just trinket text and won't come up all that often. The attack trigger is pretty sweet though and I think that is what makes it cross the line into playability. I think I will give it a chance, he seems pretty fun.
Gyruda, Doom of Depths - A 6/6 that has potential to get you an extra creature is pretty sweet. Reminds me of Thicket Elemental. I think the logistics of this what is doing to stop me from adding it. Since each player has the same library, you will just be getting the best creature in the top ~16 cards and burning a pile of quality cards that won't see play in that run of the stack. Could be cool in the draftable version of the format.
Keruga, the Macrosage - Probably doesn't do enough on an empty board to be worth it. It is only good when you are already in a good position. Thought it was worth mentioning as anything that has the potential to draw a pile of cards could be busted, but just doesn't hit the mark.

Card Draw

Boon of the Wish-Giver - I can't even remember what my rule was on how many cards sorcery speed spells can give you. I know I don't allow any more than net 3 cards at instant speed. I think I cut tidings for being too strong and this is just a better version. If I ever change my card draw philosophy I will give it a chance.
Channeled Force - Can replace your entire hand and do a little bit of damage at instant speed. Cool to have that as an option, but I don't think it is enough to be worth a card in this format. Pass.
Whirlwind of Thought - As I said with Keruga, anything that has the potential to draw a pile of cards is worth looking at. This one doesn't have any straight up value, and relies on hoping that you can string together non-creatures off the top to get some use out of it. Seems strong and I would like to give it a chance.
Bonders' Enclave - All you really need is a creature, then you have a card draw engine that is hard to deal with. Jayemdae Tome is actually not that bad in this format and being on something that isn't a spell is fantastic. Definitely giving it a go.

Ultimatums

Eerie Ultimatum - Drawing three cards is always a good option. This can also be reanimated and chump-block once. I think I might just swap out concentrate for it, as it is almost strictly better.
Inspired Ultimatum - It is like the opposite Cruel Ultimatum. Drawing 5 cards seems pretty strong, as I mentioned in the Boon of the Wish-Giver. I want to be able to put this in, as it just so flashy and big and powerful, and maybe I can give it a chance. But I think it just draws too many cards to be fair.
Genesis Ultimatum - Again, I think that this is a bit too strong, just because of the amount of cards it draws. I think this one might actually be more fairer, as it inclines the player to put a pile of cards down though, so they don't necessarily stay in their hand. I am just so happy that they didn't have cast in this cards text-box, it is like they know that this format exists :)
Ruinous Ultimatum - A one-sided planar-cleansing is something we haven't seen before, which is pretty cool. I am always looking for more unique board sweepers and this is probably the best you can get. Definite addition.
Emergent Ultimatum - The only one that doesn't work in this environment. Just thought I would put it in here to complete the cycle. No chance of making it in my stack.

Utility

Mythos of Illuna - Clever Impersonator has been a decent enough addition. This is pretty much a strict upgrade, with the fight option. I could see myself swapping out the impersonator to this at some stage. Might just add it and see how it goes.
Colossification - More of a meme than anything. Probably way too slow to be worth it. I think most people would be disappointed to see it in their hand, which makes it a no go for me.
Back for More - Instant speed reanimation and a removal spell? Seems pretty decent. Fated Return has been decently strong, and this is it plus upside. I would give it a run and see how busted it feels.

Set payed off in the big creature department. Cycling is always great and some extra ultimatums are pretty cool. As per usual, mostly excited about the new counterspells which is a little boring, but always nice to have more variety in that section of the stack.

I like how for the last one, I mentioned I still had to do commander 2019. Still haven't done that one. Will hopefully do that next along with the Ikoria commander decks. Then I will only be 2 sets behind :D

Peace.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Haven't been able to get the drive to try and complete commander 2019/2020. I have tried twice and all data has been erased. I want to add some new cards though, so lets go from the most current set and work backwards.
Also, quick shoutout over to BoomDooger & BizzaroBike over on cube cobra, as they have followed my cube there since the last update.
So keen to see other stacks being put out there and it isn't just me trying to keep this format alive (albeit very poorly).
Also thanks to dbs, as they throw a like on each of these reviews so it makes me feel like at least someone is reading them :)

Commander Legends Set Review

Played a couple of drafts of this format and it seems decently fun. Also, commander is where the big splashy plays occur, so surely there is something that will pique my interest...

Encore

Soul of Eternity - Another Serra Avatar eh? If that is all it was, then I would still give this a run. The fact that it can lead to kills out of nowhere is the real spice (if not possibly too broken). Imagine being able to use Pulse of the Grid before your first turn even starts, then you have this in your 'yard that you can encore, and keep up counterspell backup. That is some serious gas. Definitely want to give it a go, just to see how broken it can be.
Rakshasa Debaser - It's like a mini Ink-Eye's that is easier to telegraph, but it doesn't have to even hit. Body is even decent enough by itself. Seems unique, exciting and the Encore ability could lead to all sorts of shenanigans after a boardsweeper.
Phyrexian Triniform - Big boy with big value on death would be good enough but the fact that you can encore back for 3 of them without the cost of the spell is just nuts. Get in my stack. Card seems great.
Amphin Mutineer - A 4/3 isn't too great in this format, which is why the ability on this + the fact that is has encore is the only reason this is getting a mention. The baseline on it is just so mediocre, that I don't think it makes the cut. There are better creatures with removal attached that I wouldn't want to swap any of them out for this.

Monarch Creatures

Archon of Coronation - I really like Monarch in the stack, it helps direct people where to attack. When you put it on a big creature that has a positive effect for you when you have the crown makes it go from fairly playable to decent. I'd give this a go, as most other monarch givers can't stand up to the Colossal Dreadmaw baseline that creatures need to hit to be in this cube, and I really want more monarch givers.
Emberwilde Captain - As I said with Archon, I really like Monarch in the stack, but it needs to be on a solid creature for it to be worth a whole card. A 4/2 is not great, and the backlash of taking max 5 damage when you get attacked isn't enough of a deterrent to make it worth playing the card.
Explosion of Riches - Depends on your playgroup if this would see any play at all. Doing 5 damage randomly and drawing a card doesn't feel like it is worth not developing your board. If everyone else gets in on it though it could lead to some cool moments of randomness, but most players will be too conservative to join in.
Dawnglade Regent - Now this is the monarch card we have been looking for. Big creature - check, some sort of relevant ability - check. Very keen to see how this runs, best monarch for type 4 hands down.
Body of Knowledge - I had cut Illusory Ambusher due to my card draw philosophy, as it just drew too many cards from one spell. This is the same thing, but is harder to force the draw since it doesn't have flash. I can see it being a decent political tool, but the creature will almost never be bigger than a 5/5 in my version of the format, which just doesn't cut it with an ability that requires too much to make it work. Probably interesting in lower power, but not in mine.
Sphinx of the Second Sun - Now this is a spicy worded card. Drawing an extra card a turn is great. Giving all your creatures vigilance is decent. Having an extra upkeep is... Niche? All wrapped up on a 6/6 flyer and you got yourself a slam dunk type 4 creature.

Utility Creatures

Hullbreacher - Flash creatures are always cool. This one is a bit small, but hoo boy is that ability pretty back breaking. I don't run Notion Thief even though in this format it is strictly better, just because the body is so small and the card only 'counters' such a small subset of cards. I've nerf card draw enough over the years that putting in specific hate cards seems a bit rough. Plagiarize is still here and it's worst case is that is cycles, in which a random card is better than a 3/1 or 3/2.
Frenzied Saddlebrute - This one is interesting, because the base creature is okay, but it gives a very unique ability. There are a lot of 'firebreathing' creatures in the stack, that can kill players in one shot, but need either a whole turn cycle or help ie. Minion Reflector to kill people by surprise. This is the first relevant card that can help these creatures, but for your opponents and the best part is it gives you pseudo protection from these bad hastey boys. The more I think about it, the more I want to give it a try, just to see what kind of shenanigans it could produce.
Nymris, Oona's Trickster - The base stats leave a lot to be desired, but 6 toughness is decently sizable for a flash creature. The fact that it turns all your instants into cantrips, is the main reason you play this card. May not produce any value in some of the games it is played, which leaves it with the same problem as Hullbreacher, but at least this card has a decent body. May give it a trail if I get one, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Generic Big Creatures

Amareth, the Lustrous - Big generic dragon that can produce some amount of value. The potential for value is small since you could only get an extra card on each of your turns. Expecting it to live that long is another story. Also the value isn't guaranteed, which makes this a pass in my book. Works funny with the communal stack, because if the card you reveal doesn't share a type you have just shown what the next person is going to draw for some political leverage.
Kamahl, Heart of Krosa - An 8/8 with trample that Overrun's you team every turn. Seems decent enough to be run in the stack, but nothing that exciting in my eyes. If it had some vague sort of protection then I would give it a chance. Seems cool with token makers as well, but there isn't enough of them in the stack to make this worth putting in for the chance that they will all end up with the same person.
Kodama of the East Tree - Similar to Amareth in that the value that you get from it is minimal (extra permanents on board and avoiding counterspells). If it gain you card advantage in anyway I would give it a chance, but as it stand it just doesn't do enough.
Liesa, Shroud of Dusk - I like to think of this card as a mini Ruric Thar or Kaervek the Merciless, and this one has evasion! and lifelink!

Utility Spells

Sakashima's Will - A split Mirrorweave / Evangelize seems interesting, except that is worse versions of either effect. Also the fact it is a sorcery really hurts it. It it was an instant I would give it a chance but I feel this does nothing or very minimal in most situations that it doesn't deserve a spot.
Wrong Turn - I do like political cards. There isn't really anything else like this effect, which makes it worth discussing. Is shifting a creature from one player to another worth an entire card? Probably I think. It almost gives that creature a 'vow' in that it will probably not attack you now that the new opponent has been given this gift by you. Could also do nothing but be a fog for a turn. I feel like the gameplay events and story after game would be strong with this card, and that is what this format is all about, so I will give it a chance.
Szat's Will - It is an instant, which gives it a shot of seeing play. Crackling Doom has always been decent enough if not exciting, and instead of 2 damage this gives you the option to 'counter' some graveyard shenanigans. I feel that makes it better than either Tribute to Hunger or Crackling Doom, so I can see it being swapped out for one of those.

Explosive Spells

Necrotic Hex - A mini Army of the Damned, plus a boardsweeper? That's like two cards that already exist in the stack stapled into one. Definitely putting this in.
Profane Transfusion - Lifeswap effects are always welcome in this stack because they usually cost to be relevant in any other format. Soul Conduit is a fan favour here and Repay in Kind is also decent. The fact that you get a bonus creature out of the deal may make this one the best one so far? I wonder what size the average creature from this would be? I would assume smaller than you would think.
Explosion of Riches - The only problem with this card is that I don't think a random 5 damage is worth a sorcery speed spell. Most of the time players are too conservative so they probably won't want to take the risk of the draw even though the probability of them getting hit isn't that high (depends on how many players are left I guess). Could be cool, but I think it will be more lame more often than not.
Soulfire Eruption - Here is a interestingly explosive card, feels like a Blast of Genius on steroids. I like the fact you have no idea if any creature will die if you target it, but you will still target everything you can anyway, just so you have more options of cards you can play. While it may seem rough that you can only cast those cards until your next turn, the swath of instants in the stack means you should get a couple to play before your turn comes back around to play the best sorcery speed spell there. Looks very fun and perfect for type 4.
Wheel of Misfortune - A intriguing spin on the 'wheel' cards, introducing a nice little minigame and some damage to a player to progress the game along. I have already cut Sway the Stars and Reforge the Soul because they give players too many options and the turns grind to a halt. The burn and one player not getting any cards helps alleviate this somewhat, but not enough to want me to add this.

Cascade

So, a lot of the cascade spells in this set are pretty cool and would be good in type 4... If they worked within the rules. The fact that the cascade 'casts' the spell it breaks the first rule of type 4 ' You can only cast one spell each turn'. Sure you can errata things or have house rules that allow the cascade cards to function the way you want them, but I don't want to add that confusion.
If you want to allow this then all of the cards above seem good. Apex Devastator seems really fun and nuts in this format. Maybe one day I will stretch the rules, but not for the time being.

Here is the list of cards I want to try:

Pretty happy with the set, encore seems like a great addition to type 4 and nice to actually have some playable monarch cards that aren't Custodi Lich. Holidays are coming up, so I will get more reviews in on the sets I missed throughout the year.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Hmm, I didn't seem to try and do these like I said I would. I see BoomDooger already did an update to their cube for Kaldheim, which has given me some inspiration, and I will get to it in a bit, but let's hit the new and fresh set right in it's instant and sorceries.
I'll also be doing the commander cards that are tied to this set, as it seems silly to do a entirely separate review for just a few of cards.

Strixhaven Set Review
This set has been hailed as one of the more intricate and fun drafting experiences in quite some time. Also the fact that this set is built around Instant and Sorceries, means there should be some sweet instants that I can use right?

Sweet Instants

Creative Outburst - It is the second coming of Prophetic Bolt! A card that I enjoy, and while not the most powerful card, it does a lot right, but helping end the game (do damage) and keep it flowing (giving you card selection).
Harness Infinity - This card does not read like something you would expect on an instant. I had to do a double-take just to make sure it was. I know I don't like having too much card draw, but the fact that this relies on you having to have played a pile of stuff, and the fact that you have to discard you hand, makes it feel more than acceptable. I'll definitely give it a shot and if it deems too strong, I can always take it out.
Magma Opus - Now this is a sweet instant, although it may be no better than Creative Outburst. The tapping 2 permanents will rarely matter, and a 4/4 isn't fantastic in this format. Drawing 2 cards compared to impulsing 5 cards is probably pretty similar in this format. I mean I am happy to have this card and would feel fantastic if there wasn't a similar card printed in the same set. Still a definite add though.

Big Bois

Angel of the Ruins - I am a big fan of large creatures with removal ETBs. This is a pretty solid addition to this family. I am definitely going to put it in and then something like Mockery of Nature might come out, as having flying is way better than an extra power. Just a shame it has Plainscycling and not normal cycling, that would have been just gravy.
Octavia, Living Thesis - It's a big dumb beater with no evasion or protection or inbuilt card advantage. The Magecraft ability is interesting but in a world where the base creature stats are 6/6, turning a creature into an 8/8 isn't that impressive.
Ruin Grinder - As I have mentioned on Sway of the Stars and Reforge the Soul (when I finally cut them) getting everyone to draw 7 cards is not something you want to be doing in this format. Sure it gives everyone a pile of cards to have a lot of stack interaction for a couple of turns, but it just bogs the game down. Now everyone has a million decision trees with cards they aren't familiar with. If this let you yourself draw 4-7 cards when it died then I would think about giving this a shot, but as my current stack stands stands, no.
Triplicate Titan - Didn't we just get this card in the form of Phyrexian Triniform? I think it is good enough to stand on it's own. The combination of Flying and vigilance, along with have some pseudo inbuilt protection makes it a great 'dumb beater'. I can see running both side by side.
Awaken the Blood Avatar - I don't think there is a big creature that makes each opponent sac a creature on ETB. Makes me feel like this is similar to Thraximundar, with the same pseudo power and the ability to remove creatures. As I said on the Angel, I love having removal on decent sized threats. This fits the bill, now I just need to find the token for this thing.
Velomachus Lorehold - Big Flyer? Check. Haste? Check. Potential card advantage? Check. This looks like a decent candidate for type 4. The only problem is that silly little 'CMC less than Power' rider in the ability. Most spells in the stack that are 5 or less are counterspells, which are cards you don't want to cast then and there. So while I think this has potential, I think it will lead too too many feel bads.

Utility Creatures

Author of Shadows - This feels eerily similar to Eternal Witness but you get to get something from everyone's graveyard! It seems good if you are really in the need for a boardsweeper or counterspell as you can see when one is available and pick it up. I'm pretty optimistic on this one, even if it's stat line it tiny, I want to give it a decent shot.
Mavinda, Students' Advocate - The ability here has a lot of text that just gets ignored by this format, the price increase and the only one per turn limit. So this pretty much reads: Instant and Sorceries in the Graveyard have Flashback. This is pretty handy to have if you have played a lot of instants already, as it gives you something to play during each of your opponents next turns (if it lives). This is quite a bit of value which should help make up for it's mediocre statline.
Rootha, Mercurial Artist - A little too cute, but it gives you a way to copy your own spells since it doesn't actually 'cast' them. Statline is poor and the ability requires too many hoops to jump through.
Archmage Emeritus - Anything that draws cards is worth looking at. Stats are mediocre, but if you resolve this then cast an instant on the next turn you have just replaced itself, so anything from there is just gravy. Probably better in the draft versions of Type 4, rather than the randomness of my stack since you can't guarantee having the instant or sorceries to make this worth it.

Not as Sweet Instants

Perplexing Test - Another Evacuation variant if that is required. Also has some cool interactions with Army of the Damned and Storm Herd depending in they are on your side or not. Evacuation is just like a glorified fog in this format. I may add it eventually but currently don't feel the need.
Inkshield - I like the rattlesnake carks such as Deflecting Palm and Captain's Maneuver and this one isn't as great, since it only stops combat damage, not all damage. It also only makes creatures which have the issue of probably dying before you can attack with them. Very splashy card though and could lead to a lot of excitement which makes me intrigued.
Snow Day - Another pseudo-fog that draws you a card. Nothing spectacular, but could be an alright card if you want a really large stack.
Test of Talents - A worse negate that exiles. I like putting in any counterspell I can, but this one has too much random text that makes it too hard to grok. I'll leave this one on the sidelines for now.
Practical Research - It is the second coming of Carful Consideration. Draws a lot of cards at instant speed. If you are in the market for that, here is another card to add to that portfolio.
Prismari Command - A worse Kolaghan's Command. Default mode on this will be 2 damage, loot 2. Having another shatter effect is nice and the treasure is completely irrelevant. While flexible, the base mode is a little too feelbad to make me want to run it.
Quandrix Command - If you squint real hard you can see this as another Lost in the Mist albeit extremely narrow. The +2/+2 isn't too irrelevant either since a lot of the creatures are all the same size you could surprise buff them out and win the combat. I'm kind of torn on this one as I think it won't do enough, but has enough modes that it will never do nothing. Definitely maybe.

Utility Cards

Reconstruct History - Another mass graveyard draw spell in the same vein as All Sun's Dawn. A little more narrow since it can't get creatures, but this a heavy instant format, so getting one of them plus an artifact could be enough to call this worth a card. Another card that I think will lead to too many feel bads as it just won't get enough value as people expect, or they will not read the card correctly and try and get a creature as well.
Revival Experiment - Wait, isn't this just the same card as above but now you need to pay life for each card? Hmmm... Even if this can get a creature the life loss is too significant. This card was not meant for 20 life formats.
Professor Onyx - Think of this card as a Crackling Doom that could stick around to draw you a card and get a couple of drains in. One of the better walkers for Type 4. If I can ever get a hold of one for a decent price I'd give it a chance.

Cast for Free

Seems like cool cards if you run the alternate casting cost rule. Reinterpret seems like a great addition if you run Type 4 this way.

BoomDooger Addendum:
BoomDooger over on Cubecobra mentioned a couple of cards that I missed, so I thought I would add them on to the review for completeness sakes:

Theoretical Duplication - I missed this as I thought it was just a glorified clone effect that had a timing restriction. While it is to some degree, it has a fancy interaction with the large token makers, ie; Storm Herd and Army of the Damned. This could be a fun card, as you never know what it could be, and being interested in what every player is playing then thinking to yourself... 'Is this worth it, or can I get something better?'. That leads to fun gameplay I think I just talked myself into it.
Mortality Spear - Another flexible instant speed removal spell that hits almost anything you need it to. Nothing too fancy, just another option if you need another Utter End style effect. I think I like more narrow value answers, rather than flexible 1-for-1's. Will keep it on my radar though.

Well, we got the big spells we wanted from this set. Was a shame about the commands, as they are usually pretty good for type 4 but they went in a different direction for them this set. Really keen to see any of the top 3 cast at instant speed in my format.
I'll do a Kaldheim review in a bit, then I can get some cards on order and fix up my stack now that my LGS is back in full swing again.
Will be fun to sling some spells.

Last edited:

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Been distracted by MH2 drafts and sealeds on MTGO for the last month. Set has been great and a really fun limited format. There are some obvious MH2 inclusions that I have noticed while playing. Now that they have ended on MTGO I should probably do my review.

Modern Horizons 2 Set Review
This set is breaking all sorts of formats, which means there are busted cards. This equates to good type 4 cards usually, so lets see what we got.

Evoke Elementals

The only ones of this cycle that are worth talking about are the ones with flash, as the bodies on them just aren't up to the Type 4 standard, but any creature with flash and an ETB is worth talking about.
Solitude - Luminate Primordial has been a mainstay in my stack for a long time. I really like big creatures with removal tacked on. This doesn't have the big body though. I think of this more like Annihilate, where instead of drawing a card you get a 3/2 lifelinker. Is this better than a random card? Not in this stack. It is better than Trostani's Judgment? Probably. If this goes into a stack you need to remove a removal spell, just depends what removal spells you are currently running. I don't think it is better than any of the ones I am running.
Subtlety - Counterspells are always welcome, especially on creatures. While this one is narrow in that is only hits creatures (and planeswalkers I guess), having a 3/3 flyer to compensate that should be enough. It is also interesting in regards to the communal stack because the 'owner' gets to choose if the next player gets to draw this spell or just put it away forever. Very high on this card. Looking to get the borderless one.
Endurance - The ability on this one is a little too niche for this format. A 3/4 body is also pretty anaemic when compared to what else is going on. It you have a lot of graveyard stuff going on then this is probably one of the better graveyard removal tricks, but I don't have enough for this to be worth it.

Big Bois

Serra's Emissary - This card is pretty cool. Seems like a mini Avacyn, Angel of Hope and that card is all the right kinds of busted. This feels like an interesting big beater and could be played over more boring things like Blazing Archon. Card is cool, Sketch art is whatever.
Archon of Cruelty - Did I mention before how much I like creatures who have removal tacked on? I don't even know what to compare this too... ThraximundarI guess? Card is cool as it demands an answer before it attacks and has the ETB to have done something before it dies. Good thing it only targets one opponent, so it just draws wrath from one player and not the whole table. Card is the right level of busted and looks rightly designed for Type 4.
Flametongue Yearling - An Infinity Elemental that kills a creature on etb. Could be a bit of a worry with a pile of Stuffy Doll-esque effects but otherwise is just a big dumb beater (the biggest kind). I like the meme of Infinity Elemental, so I don't think I want to replace it but if you want a different kind of infinite powered attacker then here is an option for you.
Thrasta, Tempest's Roar - This card is a worse End-Raze Forerunners but a better Vorinclex, Monstrous Raider. The temporary hexproof is kind of cool I guess, but it just has a lot of text that is mostly irrelevant for a card that isn't that exciting. As much as I like big hastey bois I may give a pass on this one.
Piru, the Volatile - The only of the Elder dragons I currently run is OG Nicol Bolas because it has a threatening combat damage effect to make combat exciting. This is interesting because it has a decent body and a fairly decent rattlesnake ability. The stats say I only have ~50 legendary creatures out of the 280 I have in the stack, whole average toughness is 4.5. So it has a decent chance to kill most creatures and gain you a bunch of life in the process. Card looks cool and plays interestingly, so it gets a go.
Kaldra Compleat - Equipment doesn't get much of a run the stack, but the fact that this comes in with it's own creature and gives other potential creatures haste makes this pretty close to busted. This is the hastey beater that Thrasta wishes it was. Slam-dunk inclusion. Actually partially worried it may be a bit too strong.

Utility Creatures

Tourach, Dread Cantor - I've been liking discard a lot more in this format just to try and get counterspells out of peoples hands. This one isn't the strongest card, as a 4/3 with pro-white isn't much of a body in this format. The random discard is cool though. I think I still like Skullrend better, just because it hits all players. It is an option if you want more discard.
Revolutionist - I like how I didn't mention Returned Pastcaller in my Strixhaven review, and yet I am mentioning a strictly worse version here. Unsure why I put this one my list really. I remember when I used to have Izzet Chronarch in my stack, but that was a long, long time ago. Getting spells back from your yard is cool, but not worth it with just a speed-bump body attached. Vexing Scuttler is the bar we have to pass these days, and this just doesn't get there.
Timeless Witness - Speaking of mediocre bodies, Eternal Witness has been in my stack for far too long. While a Regrowth is better than Call to Mind, it isn't by much and it isn't worth leaving a 2/1 body behind. This new upgrade though... This is what the old girl needed. Having an activated ability to get another witness when it dies is pretty great. Doesn't use the spell for the turn. Gets 2 uses out of 1 card. This card feels like a future staple and am happy to still have the witness around, even its first name has now changed.
Prophetic Titan - Anything that replaces itself is worth looking at. I do not know how easy delirium is to hit in the stack. Creature and instant should be easy enough to hit, but getting 2 more? Ehhh, I don't really know and would have to look at future game to see how often it would happen. A 4/4 body is decent enough, but a 5/5 would be better. The flexibility in it either being a burn spell or an impulse is nice and what drew me to it. Also the fact that Prophetic Bolt has always been a great type 4 card, I thought the creature version would be just as good. I think it needs delirium on to be worth not being able to play it at instant speed. Card is fine, maybe a lower powered stack could want it.

Removal

Suspend - This is interesting because it locks what someone is going to be doing on their turn. I mean, they don't have to cast it, but then you just got a straight up removal spell. I feel it is a little too narrow in that it only hits creatures. If it any permanent then I would give it a shot to see how it played but there is enough creature removal that I don't need this, as wacky as it may be.
Damn - Generic removal spell that can be a wrath if you want it to be. I like flexibility, but I think just having a wrath with more upside is better. I mean, I noticed in my list I am still running Wrath of God and this is just strictly better. So yeah, I am now cutting Wrath for something else. This could take it's spot if I find one easy enough.
Sudden Edict - I like all the 'Sudden' spells, split second is a heck of a mechanic. I think Sudden Death has had it's time though, as it just doesn't kill enough creatures in my stack anymore. The edict should be more useful in more situations I believe, so I will swap them over.
Calibrated Blast - Heck yes. This is everything I wanted Riddle of Lighting to be. Being able to choose targets after you know how much it is going to deal is the main upgrade to these kind of cards. The fact that it has flashback, shows that they made this card just for me and this format. Probably my favourite card of the set.
Chef's Kiss - Wild Ricochet has it's moments. It is only really used as a counter-counterspell. This I feel would have the same uses. There isn't too many cards in my stack otherwise that just have a single target and not having control over what it is targeting makes this probably more on the frustrating end of random than the fun side. Probably going to pass on this one, too narrow, too random.

Card Draw

Dress Down - Any instant card that cycles itself is worth a look. This could lead to some interesting combat steps with nearly all creatures having some on board effects that would get embarrassed if their abilities got turned off. Ever since I cut Mirrorweave have been looking to make combat interesting again. Could this be the card? If not, you can always cycle it away. Worth a test.
Mental Journey - Another Jace's Ingenuity. I like the base rate on this card and if I wanted another I could add it, but I have enough straight card draw as it is.
Thought Monitor - Another Mulldrifter. While never fully exciting, no one ever hates the fish because drawing cards is gas. Spots in my stack are getting tight, so I don't know if I have the room to squeeze this in, or what is boring enough to take out. I'll keep it in mind, but I'll keep my drifty boi in by himself at this stage to make him still feel unique.
Moderation - Does wizards know that type 4 exists? This is like what Whirlwind of Creation wanted to be. Turns every single one of your spells into a cantrip. This could be broken, but probably not anymore so than Blast from the Past. I love it and probably the easiest slam dunk type 4 card in a while. Good thing foil sketches of these are cheap.

Free Spells

Timeless Dragon - This is another Oketra's Attendant, where you get a free 4/4 (instead of a 3/3) that doesn't use your spell for the turn. Only problem is that you don't draw a card with this one, as Plainscycling does nothing. I cut the Attendant was it was just filler and wasn't exciting. This is even less so since it doesn't draw you a card.
Bannerhide Krushok - This is a very unique card in the world of type 4. I can't think of anything else that would let you put 6 +1/+1 counters on a creature and not use a spell for the turn. I don't know if that is strong, especially since you can only put 2 counters on at instant speed, the rest has to be sorcery. Closest analog I can thing of is Skarrg Goliath, but that card is pretty busted. Might confuse new players too, since a dorky 4/4 don't look like it fits in this format. Very intrigued to see if this is useful, can always take it out later if mediocre.
Wren's Run Hydra - Making any unblocked creature infinite powered that doesn't use your spell for the turn? This seems a bit too broken even for my high-powered stack. If you like hyper-broken cards, give it a go.

That was a good swag of cards. Good thing that most of these are going to be bulk, because this set looks expensive. As I said before though, set has been great fun to play in limited and I am happy that it exists. Good to see a pile of cards that I think will become staples (Moderation is so good) to remind me of the good times I had with this set.

I used to have a Type 4 stack but found that the creatures and ways of ending the game were always suffering due to their lack of Flash and general vulnerability to get X-for-1'd by sweepers. How have you addressed this?

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I used to have a Type 4 stack but found that the creatures and ways of ending the game were always suffering due to their lack of Flash and general vulnerability to get X-for-1'd by sweepers. How have you addressed this?
The easiest answer to this is to just run less sweepers. It is your own environment and if you feel like the board is being cleared too regularly then just remove some of the sweepers and replace them with more creatures.

My main way of combatting this though has been to tie most of the removal to creatures. So when something is removed, then something is added to the board to keep the clock moving on the game.

The other way to make sure that games end is to limit the amount of card draw in the stack. If people keep drawing cards, then they will also have the removal to keep themselves alive plus draw into more card draw and so on and so forth. Once you cull the flow of cards then the beaters stay in play more often and the game can end.

Maybe a more interesting version of type 4 could just be only creatures and counterspells. Then combat math actually matters and games could end quicker? Is an interesting idea.