General Lessons from a block cube

You guys and gals first started me on creating a cube. Then you made me put it into cubecobra and gave me great advice, so maybe it is fair that I contribute a bit back on the lessons I learned.

First a bit of background: I started playing during urza block as a elementary schoolkid and ofcourse had no money for proper mana bases. Our decks where either the preconstructed or slightly adjusted ones. To be honest, the randomness of playing with sub-optimal cards (and not many duplicates) made that each game was different and much more fun than fine tuned decks. Naturally, I wanted to reconstruct this feeling (and loathe pay to play) so cube it is.

I am lazy as hell so the easiest would be to steal one of your great cubes. However, my playgroup mainly consist of the missus with sometimes a few friends/brothers who play once or twice a year (and most of them have never played with cards after the disastrous advent of planeswalkers/cardframe change). So I immediately ran into trouble since most cubes have a lot of different keywords/mechanics (even historic ones) and that would not be playgroup friendly.

Of course one could use a starter friendly cube but most of these are not that exciting, or to put it more bluntly: boring for me.

So that leaves me with a conundrum. On the one hand I want a cube with depth, on the other hand occasional players should not have to slog through many cards they do not know/understand, have fun, and be on equal footing with regular players. And did I already mention that I am lazy?

How do I get a cube tailored for my playgroup (including me)? Simple, do not use too many different mechanics and preferable cards which are familiar to the playgroup. Solution: a block cube since in the old days each set in the block expands on the mechanics in the large base set. No need for a lot of design from me since there are not many cards/mechanics to choose from. You just remove some chaff, double up on some cards, and listen to the playgroup. This gives http://cubecobra.com/cube/list/16se .

Brad nails it with his comment after 3 drafts:

/Quote

first pick pestilence

wreck their hand with rats and duress, play pestilence or vile requiem to lock down the board. unlikely they'll be able to keep much around against noetic scales

cube's a lot of fun. why am i spending so much time designing when i could just do this???

id like to see you urza-break to add a couple sets of fixing lands. maybe the invasion taplands for allied and something else for enemy. would keep old frame and not look out of place. i cant imagine anyone bitching about such a small, helpful change. that said, i know the feeling when something doesn't quite sit right with your goals, so i get it if not

/endquote

He points to the pro's and cons of this approach.

1) It is fun.
2) It is almost no work for the curator (although occasionals would be fun in here!).
3) It lacks mana fixing lands which is a bit of a pain sometimes. (I will ask the playgroup and add taplands/painlands/sharpied terminal moraine)
4) It lacks some elements, for me there is a lack of multi-colored cards or iconic historic cards/mechanisms that I love. However, how do you balance that?

So what are the lessons?
Actually, the main one is
1) Tailor to your playgroup.
The others:
2) visit riptidelab.
3) less is more. Using many different mechanics is just like keyword soup on a card, you are bound to screw up. Note that this does not imply that you should avoid cards with many words on it. Somnophore has a lot of words but is easier to understand/play around than Morphling which is omitted due to requests from the playgroup.

I have to admit, my attempt of a rath+ cube was a failure but that could be due to the fact that it was more a historic cube with too much focus on shadow.

Lastly, thanks and have fun!

Last edited:
Hearing that you made it for beginners or unfamiliar players really solidifies the choice.

I've been torn lately between my current design and something more beginner friendly. I've considered X Masters cubes, where it would be based on X set/block but expanded with more recent cards. Maybe that's what your Rath+ idea was?

I've also considered limiting each color pair to 1-2 keywords. Things like that.

The block cube does it for you and requires a lot less tuning, which is great.

Hearing that you made it for beginners or unfamiliar players really solidifies the choice.

I've been torn lately between my current design and something more beginner friendly. I've considered X Masters cubes, where it would be based on X set/block but expanded with more recent cards. Maybe that's what your Rath+ idea was?

I've also considered limiting each color pair to 1-2 keywords. Things like that.

The block cube does it for you and requires a lot less tuning, which is great.
Yes, rath plus was more of a historic cube with the main part rath.

First, let's use mechanics as a restrictive measure otherwise you start to count a few simple keywords like flying, vigilance, haste. Cycling is a keyword but in urza block more or less a mechanic.

Second, I would suggest to have not to many mechanics overall and have the mechanics spread around multiple colors so that players can create combinations that surprise you. This is what I got for free in urza block. If we take the urza block for example:
Cycling: in all colors, it is a tremendously helpful mechanic since it gives you the choice to replace bad cards and it even gives a boost to reanimator.
Echo: all colors. Even although it is a simple keyword, it is not simple playstyle wise. What I do not like is that there are memory issues which are a pain (did I pay it already or not? Counters could help for this). What is great is that it requires choices in deck building and also sequencing decisions. The cherry is the hard decision to let it die to play something else.
Sleeper enchantments: primary white, a bit in green, then blue, than black.
Growing enchantments/spell enchantments: all colors. Helps to get enchantment density and makes enchantment destructing playable.
Free spells: only blue, the strange one in the block. Could do without, however, it feels satisfying to Time spiral into Peregrine drake into treachery into something.
Add a lot of small combos, or single archetype cards which play nicely with the above (lifeline with etb echo creatures) or are good enough for your maindeck: somnophore with ring of gix and you have a cube with a lot of depth.

landofMordor

Administrator
I have an ELD+ set cube I use for teaching. Not a draft replica, but rather a cube comprised of cards from the set. (There's no accounting for taste, but I'm all about the modern, legible card names with updated rules text, personally.)

One of the major things I learned is that removal choice is especially important in these situations, since non-singleton removal is much more easily mapped onto threats.

For example, the best removal in my format was easily a tie between Reave Soul, Scorching Dragonfire, and So Tiny. My natural instinct was to double up on those effects, while trimming copies of Festive Funeral. However, that led to the format's removal having quasi-solved lineups with the format's threats. A card like Fierce Witchstalker effectively has hexproof if the format's main removal spells only hit creatures smaller than 3/3. So I added a couple "flavor agnostic" removal spells like Terminate, Unmake, and Curse of Chains. Is it maximally faithful to the original draft format? No, but it does make the cube much less solvable and therefore more replayable (which is IMO the biggest problem facing set cubes)

I have an ELD+ set cube I use for teaching. Not a draft replica, but rather a cube comprised of cards from the set. (There's no accounting for taste, but I'm all about the modern, legible card names with updated rules text, personally.)

One of the major things I learned is that removal choice is especially important in these situations, since non-singleton removal is much more easily mapped onto threats.

For example, the best removal in my format was easily a tie between Reave Soul, Scorching Dragonfire, and So Tiny. My natural instinct was to double up on those effects, while trimming copies of Festive Funeral. However, that led to the format's removal having quasi-solved lineups with the format's threats. A card like Fierce Witchstalker effectively has hexproof if the format's main removal spells only hit creatures smaller than 3/3. So I added a couple "flavor agnostic" removal spells like Terminate, Unmake, and Curse of Chains. Is it maximally faithful to the original draft format? No, but it does make the cube much less solvable and therefore more replayable (which is IMO the biggest problem facing set cubes)
You are completely right that fixing the removal problem in your eld+ cube makes it a better cube! I am not hung up on staying urza block, but for my playgroup I stick to cards from fallen empires until scourge. Which also happens to be the bulk of my collection.

Your removal point also brings out why having just one powerful enchantment/artifact in a cube is a bad idea. In such cases it is not worth it to have dedicated removal which means that the enchantment cannot be destroyed. There should be counterplay and hence answers to threats.